Introducing

Battle of the Leaders

Ajusshi showed you to your room. There were sets of new clothes prepared for you. 

"I'll change before dinner." You told him and went through all your new belongings.

"Woah! There's everything here! Phone, laptop, MP3 player, PSP. Ajusshi is really very rich."

You laid down on your bed and closed your eyes.*All these seem like a dream. Appa and omma dying, me coming to Paradise and living here...I wish it's just a nightmare and I'll wake up soon.* Just like that, you drifted off to sleep.

3 Hours later, a loud bell woke you up.

"Omo! What's happening?!" You sat up on your bed and rubbed your eyes.

"Dinner time!" Someone said through the speakers. 

"You ran downstairs and saw everyone seated at a long table. 

*Omo, am I late for something?* You went to the table and awkwardly stood there. 

Sunggyu smirked, as if thinking that you were dumb for standing there.

"JaeIn-ah, sit. We're having dinner." Ajusshi said and pulled out a chair for you. 

You thanked him politely and sat down. 

"Is dinner time fixed?" You asked and everyone stared at you.

"Of course, you mean you used to eat at anytime you wanted?" Woohyun asked. 

"On Earth, nobody cared about what you do. Except your parents. Nothing is fixed, except school hours." You frowned.

"Wahhh, that's so cool. I want to go to Earth!" Woohyun pouted. 

"Is everything controlled here?" You asked curiously.

"Yes, everything is arranged for you. You don't have to make your own decisions." Woohyun imformed you. 

"That's good. Won't it be easier to live like this? Not having to worry about anything?"

"Ani, just because we don't have to worry about anything, life is boring. If you make a mistake, the Council will-" 

"Woohyun-ah, stop talking and eat. You don't want to be Marked like the last time you were late for school." Ajusshi chided.

"Neh, appa." Woohyun went back to his food. 

Mealtime was simple. Nobody spoke unless spoken to. Everybody kept their eyes on their food. You didn't dare to look anywhere else. 

After dinner, everyone went back to their own rooms. The living room was empty. 

*Ahhh, live sure is boring here. Everybody doesn't do anything interesting. After dinner, omma and appa used to watch the television while talking about their day. I miss them alot...* before your tears could fall, someone cleared his throat.

You turned around. "Howon-sshi?"

"Just call me oppa." 

You nodded.

"Life is boring here isn't it?"

You nodded again.

"I know how it feels. Having to do everything accordingly."

"You don't belong here too?"

"I do. But I don't really like the feeling of living in this world. It's like your trapped in a cage or something, with people watching your every move."

"Can't you guys go against the Council?"

"Many tried, but none returned."

Your eyes grew big with shock. 

"In this cruel world, the Council does things that they feel is right. They don't care about how we feel. My father is the richest man in Paradise, so we are living a better live. Those people living out there, once they commit a mistake, they never know how they die."

"The Council kills people?"

"Not exactly. They just plan your whole life. Who you are friends with, who you get Paired with, how many children you have, when you die. We don't have a choice in this kind of things. So what do you think of this place?"

"It sounds scary, but I think I can cope with it." You said and smiled at him. 

"You're really naive huh? Well then, I welcome you to the Kim family. All of us are friendly once you know us."

"I think so too...Everyone seems nice...Except..."

"Except?"

"Except that Sunggyu guy. He seems so cold and fierce. It's like his stare could just pierce through you and kill you." you shivered in the thought.

"You're not the only one who thinks that." Howon chuckled. "People who don't know him well tend to stay far away from him. But once you get to know him, he's a very nice guy."

*Really? It's hard imagining him being nice.*

"Bedtime is nearing. Go back to your room. See you tomorrow at breakfast." He ruffled your hair and went back to his room. 

"See you..."

*I guess it isn't that bad huh? I'll live properly here and treasure my second chance. Lee JaeIn, hwaiting!* You did the 'hwaiting' sign and went back to your room.