Stake-Out

Lonely at the Top

Donggab parked his car at an alley and got out with Yubin. They headed to a shop selling mens streetwear and Donggab asked the male cashier something while Yubin looked around the shop. The cashier then went to the back of store. Donggab came over to Yubin who was randomly browsing through a rack of shirts in the store.

She took out a Hawaiian shirt and place it in front of Donggab’s chest and asked him. “What did you say to the cashier?”

“Are you buying this shirt for me?” Donggab asked her instead.

“I’ll buy you this shirt if we do get a good lead here.” Yubin promised with a smile.

“Deal! It’s been ages since a woman bought me something.” Donggab admitted.

“It’ll be the cheapest shirt I ever bought for anyone too.” Yubin noted how the shirt looked ugly but seemed to look good on Donggab though.

“Boy am I a lucky guy.” Donggab mused.

“Excuse me, Boss?” the male cashier re-appeared and called out to Donggab. “You may come with me now.”

Donggab and Yubin was then led into a narrow corridor at the back of the store and finally reaching a small office.

“Holy ! I thought my staff was joking when he said the Kingpin of Seoul was paying me a visit.” A friendly man in leather jacket stood up from his desk to shake Donggab’s hand. “How can I help you, Boss Donggab?”

“I’m looking for a good forger, San E. Not just signatures but handwriting as well. And it has to be the best.” Donggab asked.

“Err…I’m sorry.. I believe I have not met this pretty lady here.” San E asked instead as he gave Yubin a full look-over.

“She’s ah… she’s my..” Donggab had forgotten to think of a cover for Yubin at this moment. Introducing her as the new boss of Gwangju was not going to work.

“I’m the sponsor.” Yubin quickly came out with a cover. “I’m the one paying the big money for the forger.”

“Ahh… I see.” San E noted. “And may I ask what kind of document are you both looking to forge. I know several different professionals who specialize in different areas.”

“A letter. Just a personal letter.” Yubin said.

“Ahhh…like a….” San E guessed. “Suicide letter?”

Yubin and Donggab did not answer but just looked at San E suspiciously.

San E then leaned closer to his 2 visitors and whispered. “Like the one that Old Bang supposedly wrote?”

Donggab then grabbed San E by the neck. “Tell me what you know, San E.”

“Woah woah! I would have continued playing along if I’m not here to help you guys. We all know you are close to Boss Old Bang. And she’s Old Bang’s daughter! I’m on your side, Donggab!” San E tried to hold off Donggab’s tight grasp as he explained.

Donggab let go of San E and asked. “You know who the forger is?”

“I might know. I can’t guarantee though.” San E admitted. “But it would be nice to have a little reward for this information.”

“I’ll buy a Hawaiian shirt from your store.” Yubin suggested without a second thought.

“Wahahahahaha!!” San E laughed out loud at Yubin’s cheap offer but his neck was grabbed once again. This time was it was Yubin grabbing it.

She held his face close enough to look into his eyes as she said to him. “Why can’t I buy a shirt, huh? I would buy a bulk once I know your lead is the right one and you didn’t send us on a wild goose chase.”

“I don’t work that way, lady! It’s either you have my non-guaranteed lead or no lead at all!” San E rebutted, though surprised at Yubin’s strong hold on his neck.

“Fine! Let’s go, Donggab! I know someone else who could help us.” Yubin lied as she let go of San E.

“Wait!” San E stopped them. “Alright, buy 5 shirts and I’ll give you the lead.”

====

Yubin dumped the carrier of 5 Hawaiian shirts onto Donggab’s lap as she took the driver’s seat in the Sport Benz.

“5 shirts for your 5-day work week, Donggab. My gift to you better be worth it.” Yubin said as she the GPS and keyed in the address San E gave them.

“Thanks, I’ll make sure I wear them well.” Donggab then asked of Yubin. “Ermm…please be careful with my car.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll pay for any damages.” Yubin promised as she slammed on the accelerator and the car sped off, forcing Donggab to grabbed the upper handle this time.

Donggab realized Yubin was a seasoned driver. Many times he thought his car was going get hit, she managed to avoid it. It was a scary ride for him though he had also driven like this before. Now he knew the feelings of his passengers when he drove.

They were about to reach their destination which was in the rural suburbs of Seoul. But as they drove through the streets, some folks were staring at their expensive car which was obviously rarely seen in this suburb.

“At this rate, I think we may possibly tip off the forger with your loud car and have him running off before we get to him.” Yubin noticed.

“Yeah, I think we need to turn around and get another car. I know a mechanic nearby who could loan us a car.” Donggab suggested.

They soon reached a car repair shop where the boss greeted Donggab with a friendly hug.

“Don’t worry, Boss Donggab. You can take the black Hyundai over there. We’ll take good care of your Benz until you return the Hyundai.” The guy assured.

“Thanks man!” Donggab homie-shook the guy and left with Yubin in the Hyundai.

Yubin let Donggab drive this time and they also grabbed some early dinner takeaways before they reached their destination which was supposedly the home of the suspected forger. Donggab parked at a safe unsuspicious distance from the house.

“You sure we shouldn’t just interrogate him to get answers?” Yubin asked as she took a bite of her subway sandwich.

Donggab shook his head. “No. We need to monitor his movements first to be sure. If we just interrogate him, he will definitely deny everything and tip off the original source as soon as he got the chance. We can’t take that risk.”

“Can’t we pretend to be clients like we did earlier with San E?” Yubin suggested.

“Not when there’s a high chance they might recognize us like San E did.”

“So we’ll just stake out the guy discreetly?”

“Yeah.. we can check and trace his calls and movements to see if he leads us to anything.” Donggab then noted. “I guess Yubin-sshi is new to this? I know it’s a goon’s job.”

“Yeah, I leave it to my men to do stuff like this while I sit on the throne in my K-town office. I’m kind of a spoiled boss I guess.” Yubin admitted honestly. She knew from Gill that Donggab started from the bottom and that was why she pretty much let him take the lead in this catch-the-killer game now with his street-smart know-hows. Besides, she seemed to like his company a lot. She went from being highly suspicious of him to trusting him almost fully within a few days. And every time she looked into his eyes, it was not so much to read him again but she was kind of drawn to it. He was handsome, calm and soft-spoken and that little goatee added a manly but cute side to him. It heightened a desire she had not felt in a long time. Back in the study room previous night, she swore they would have kissed if she had not decided to get back to some serious investigation business.  

“You know, I love your cool honesty, Yubin..” Donggab told her as he took his own big subway sandwich bite.

Yubin turned to look at him and noticed some sweet onion sauce on his chin. She reached out to wipe the sauce off his chin with her thumb, then she the sauce from her thumb and said honestly “And I love your company, Donggab.”

She did not realize that her actions had a heart-stopping effect on Donggab.