Together

Lonely at the Top

Yubin sat quietly in the waiting room with the other clan leaders as they waited for Donggab’s surgery to be over. He was shot on the chest. Just below the shoulder blade. Yubin hoped it was nowhere close to the heart. The clan leaders were all arguing with one another on who called the cops. Yubin wanted nothing to do with these men in an argument. She could only think about Donggab. About why she was attracted to his dangerous purple and got herself into all this worrying pain of losing him. And then she realized that it could be him being this calm and dangerous that pulled her to him in the first place.

“If it wasn’t us, who called the cops then?” Sim D asked the clan leaders. “Was it Donggab?”

“It’s not Donggab for sure.” Dokki argued. “He was as surprised! And you, he got shot for this and you think he called the cops?”

“Well, if it isn’t Donggab then it could be our dear new Gwangju leader who came late to the scene?” Kush guessed sarcastically, side-eyeing Yubin sitting in the corner.

Yubin just blinked at Kush. She did not need to explain to them. She only wanted her Donggab to be alright after the surgery.

“I guess it’s her.” Kush took it when Yubin did not bother to deny his claim. “I knew she would be trouble!”

The 3 clan leaders then all looked at Yubin waiting for her admittance.

“It was me.” Another man’s voice injected.

They all turned to see Gill entering the waiting room in a wheelchair. “I was shot and almost died and I don’t want my brothers to end up like me as well. The police were on the same page as us to catch the sniper as well and offered me back-up in case of any mishap at the arms deal meeting. They were the only source we have that have fire arms to go against those arms dealers. I didn’t tell you guys coz I know you would all disagree on my cheap scheme. I’m just sorry I did not expect the police to be sloppy and have the dealer spot them and in the end Donggab got shot. It’s my fault.”

The clan leaders did not argue and only shook their heads as they found themselves hard to be mad at Gill when they were also relieved to see him up alive and well after the near death ordeal he went through.

Yubin moved to Gill in the wheelchair and hugged him. “Uncle Gill! I didn’t know you were conscious already. Thank God you are well. And please, it’s not your fault Donggab got shot.”

“It’s good to see you, Yubin.” Gill patted her back. “I’ll hate myself if Donggab doesn’t survive this. But a huge part of me knows he’s a stubborn survivor.”

“I hope you are right, Uncle Gill.”

Just then a doctor came into the waiting room to report on Donggab’s status.

“He’s fine. We took out the bullet and patched up a small portion of his shoulder blade.” The doctor announced to the clan leaders. “You all can see him in the room. Just remember that he needs his rest to recuperate too so don’t go overboard with the greetings.”

“Thanks doc!” Dokki homie-shook the doctor’s hand and the doctor looked amused.

As soon as everyone entered the room, they found Donggab in an arm sling smiling at them. Yubin wanted to run to him but stopped herself and stayed behind all the men welcoming Donggab back to life. She let the men talked but after some time she caught Donggab searching his eyes for her.

“Hey…” he greeted her when he spotted her standing at the back.

The men all turned to her and moved away slightly to let the 2 of them have some greeting space.

“Hey…” Yubin greeted back but still remained at the back.

“That’s an awkward greeting.” Sim D mused.

“You should… rest more.” Yubin advised Donggab.

“Yeah, we should let Donggab rest. It’s almost 4am now.” Gill concurred and waved everyone out.

Everyone nodded in agreement and then said goodnight to Donggab with handshakes, leaving the room one by one.

By now almost everyone had left the room, leaving Dokki the last guy to homie-shake Donggab. He then looked at Yubin who still had not said her goodnight to Donggab yet. Dokki had seen Yubin’s tearful worried reaction to Donggab being held hostage and throughout Donggab’s surgery. It was either she genuinely cared about Donggab or she was a bloody good actress. He doubted it was the latter since he had done some thorough background check on her recently. He found she was every bit the flesh and blood of Old Bang – in honest character and the management style of her gang and her enemies.  

“Not gonna give him a good night kiss?” Dokki asked Yubin.

Yubin looked surprise at Dokki and wondered if he was being sarcastic since he did not seem like he was joking. Dokki then displayed a smile and said “I’ll leave you kids alone.” and he took his leave.

Yubin walked over to Donggab and gently held his non-sling hand. Donggab squeezed her hand in return. “You told Dokki about us?” she asked.

“He caught me skyping you.” Donggab disclosed.

She sat down and looked into his pink-purple eyes. “Doubt he took the news well, eh?”

“He thinks you might be using me. I have no idea how useful I am to you.” Donggab smiled.

“Maybe he thinks I might be using you for ?” Yubin teasingly raised her eyebrow at him.

Donggab laughed out loud and found his shoulder hurting from the bullet wound. He hissed in pain and Yubin quickly stood up to his shoulder gently. Donggab looked up at her dreamily and they locked eyes again. Yubin bent down to kiss him lightly. But Donggab pulled her closer to kiss deeper. They kissed passionately with Yubin now climbing onto the bed and hovering over Donggab. Then she reluctantly pulled away from the kiss and said “I think we should control ourselves for now. I don’t wanna injure you any further, oppa.”

Donggab nodded and let her lie down next to him.

====

Yubin was woken up by a nurse the next morning.

“Ma’am, we need to check the patient’s stats.” The nurse asked Yubin politely who was sleeping all night cuddling Donggab on the hospital bed.

“oh sorry..” Yubin apologized to the nurse as she moved away from Donggab who started to stir from his sleep. However, she almost tripped from getting off the bed. Not from lack of sleep but from the shock of seeing the 4 pairs of eyes looking curiously at her in the room. No, 6 pairs of eyes actually since she spotted Zino and Yezi who likely just arrived from Seoul and was standing behind the 4 brothers-in-arms clan leaders.