The Big Fish

Lonely at the Top

The nurse pulled the drapes around Donggab’s bed to do her private check-up on Donggab while Yubin stood in the middle of the room trying to think of an explanation to the clan leaders why she spent the night cuddling their chairman in bed. Actually they spent a large part talking as well and probably only slept like 3 hours.

“Ermm…I must be really tired.. Must have dozed off here last night.” Yubin let out a yawn.

“But you managed to climb into his bed and dozed off?” Sim D asked with a stifled laugh.

Yubin glared at Sim D. Then Dokki added more jab. “Hmm, I should have expected it would be more than just a goodnight kiss. I just hope hyung’s injury hadn’t worsened.”

“I knew there was some - going on!” Kush added, chuckling and shaking his head. “Hey Donggab, I really hope it was just the and nothing else. You ok, dude?”

“I’M FINE! Can you all just leave Yubin alone already!” Donggab shouted over the covered drape, overhearing the conversation clearly.

“Hey you. Be careful with your words.” Yezi shoved at Kush’s chest with a pointed finger.

“Woah…and who might this be?” Kush gave Yezi a full look-over.

“She’s my right hand, Yezi.” Yubin introduced and then she walked closer to the Busan clan leader and stared into his eyes. Red. Typical.

“I don’t just , Kush. I crush them too.” Yubin warned him sternly as she moved her hand close to Kush’s groin area. Kush widened his eyes at her claw below but Yubin turned away and said “Not even giving you the privilege of the crush.”

“It’s called the DEADLY CRUSH.” Yezi warned Kush.

“Alright kids, can we get down to business now?” Gill reminded just when the nurse was done checking up on Donggab and leaving the room.

“Yes. Please!” Donggab added as he adjusted his bed more upright. “Guess from last night’s shoot-out, we got no strong clue on who Gill’s shooter is. But Yubin has something to share.”

“We recently found a big fish. The one responsible for my father’s death. And believe me, this person is capable of assessing US made rifles as well.” Yubin announced to the clan leaders. “So we should not doubt that he could be related to Gill’s shooting.”

“We had been following a lead to the forger of Old Bang’s supposed suicide note.” Donggab shared what Yubin had reported to him last night about their progress with the forger. “He was indeed hired to forge Old Bang’s suicide note.”

“So, did he lead you to the killer?” Gill asked.

“Well, he led us to an unidentified man. But the man had a tattoo that we were able to identify easily. It is a gang tattoo.” Yubin reported.

“Which gang?” Kush asked impatiently.

Yubin nodded at Yezi who passed her boss a folder. Yubin opened the folder and showed the clan leaders the super-imposed photo of the tattoo on the man’s neck.

“This gang is from LA. It’s headed by a man called Yang Goon based in Vegas.” Yubin added.

“Holy ! I know that gang!” Kush revealed. “He’s huge over there! What does he want with Old Bang?”

“He’s an old time enemy of my father.” Yubin disclosed. “And is probably after me now and maybe all of my father’s allied clans. He used to work for my father 15 years ago back in K-town. Then he betrayed my father and was punished badly by my father, who cut off one of Yang goon’s ears. Papa spared his life and only barred him from K-town. Years later, Yang Goon built his own empire in Vegas and then sent one of his protégés, Mithra Jin to my birthplace hometown in Gwangju, causing havoc to Gwangju including the death of the then Gwangju clan leader who was my uncle. Papa went back to Gwangju and dealt with Jin, handing him over to the police and sending him to prison. My father then took over the role of Gwangju clan leader for the next 6 years.”

“Your father had a long-time enemy but your first suspicions of your father’s death suspects were all of us clan leaders?” Dokki asked Yubin.

“Because Yang Goon was quiet for several years! He did not touch K-town or Gwangju for years. You all were the last persons my father was with before his death.” Yubin stated logically.

“If he killed Old Bang for revenge, he knows he has to deal with the rest of us too.” Gill gave his input.

“Yes.” Yubin nodded. “And I’m sure I’m his next target since I took over Gwangju as clan leader. I also have another theory. I wondered why it took him years to finally kill my father and it was done only now… I guessed it could be timed nicely for someone to taste the sweet revenge done on my father.”

Yubin bobbed her head to Zino and Yezi.

Zino then added to the meeting. “We researched and found out that Jin whom Old Bang sent to prison years ago will be released in two days. His sentence had been shortened due to good conduct.”

“How coincident…It could mean that this Jin dude is back to take over Gwangju again.” Dokki noted.

“But I’m only second guessing. It could have nothing to do with Jin.” Yubin admitted.

“So here’s the plan I have in mind..” Donggab added. “We will still stay on high alert since any of us could be the next target. We will also monitor Jin’s movement when he gets out of jail. Yubin’s team in LA will be also monitoring Yang Goon’s movements in Vegas for the next few days. I’ll give it a week or 2 and if Yang Goon is still not making any move down to Korea, we will go to him.”

=====

Yubin nodded at the security guards in front of Donggab’s hospital room and was let in immediately. She had been a regular visitor for the past week in the late mornings but on this day, she was up much earlier in the morning to visit him. However, when she entered, she found an empty bed. She was about to ask the guards outside on Donggab’s whereabouts when she saw him being wheeled into the room by a young nurse.

“You’re early today?” Donggab greeted her as he stood up from his wheelchair and gave her a morning kiss before settling back on his bed.

“Where did you go?” Yubin asked as she placed a cup of Americano coffee on his bed desk tray for him.

“Got taken to the daily bath.” Donggab informed as he opened the tab of the coffee cup to drink.

“I hope he has been a good boy so far.” Yubin asked the young nurse.

The nurse nodded and smiled politely to Yubin as she finished up checking that Donggab was well settled before she left the room.

“She’s cute.” Yubin noted to Donggab after the nurse left. “So I guess she got to see you before I did, eh?”

Donggab almost spit out his coffee. He was amused by Yubin’s cute jealous remark. “Ermm…if you like, I don’t mind another bath.. just the 2 of us...”   

Yubin ignored his joke and checked his bandage. “How’s the wound?”

“I think it’s healing fast and well. Doc said I could well be discharged in a few days. How’s the status report?” Donggab asked.

“Still nothing major. The guy is not doing anything major so far after his release from jail for the past week. No gang meetings and all. He’s just slacking around at home and no one’s visiting him as well.” Yubin reported.

“I wonder if he knows he’s been followed.” Donggab wondered aloud.

“I hope not. I hope your men are professional enough.”

“Well, Zino is supervising them. They better not up. How about your Vegas team?”

“Nothing major as well. Yang Goon is happily playing golf and all. No signs of him preparing to leave for Korea or anywhere.”

“Then I think we should be ready to head to Vegas very soon.”

A/Note: Did you all see Yubin's Nike x W Korea clip? She's so bad like a gang leader going on an underground gang fight! Fits this character. I can't find a gif around though.