Clan Meeting

Lonely at the Top

Donggab sat at the end of the spacious VIP room of the O-shin Japanese restaurant located at the penthouse level in The Casino of Lights building owned by him. He was waiting for the clan leaders to arrive. They were later than usual and that was not a good sign. Dokki arrived on time and was sitting next to him at the tatami table, checking his phone.

“President Bang just texted that he will be slightly late. Boss Gill also texted he is on his way. The other two, no texts.” Dokki reported to Donggab.

The other two were Sim D and Kush who were the newer clan bosses and who were actually similar in age with Donggab. It was ironic how the much older bosses were the more respectful ones to Donggab in terms of courtesy. Thankfully, all the bosses were no more than 10 minutes late to the meeting. Boss Kush was last to arrive after Sim D, Gill and Old Bang. Old Bang or whom most of them respectfully call him President Bang, was the oldest clan leader. At 60, he was in the mafia business for a long time. He ran the Gwangju territory which was his hometown and was once a political head in his district. Boss Gill ran the Daegu territory and though he had some alcoholic issues, he had been working hard in overcoming it and his territory had so far not caused too much trouble. Boss Sim D or as he preferred his ladies to call him Simon, ran Jeju which was a breeze for him since that island was the most peaceful territory. Boss Kush was the charismatic Busan boss who had been rising in power within his territory as his gang members had grown as big as an army battalion. Both Simon D and Kush were clan leaders only for about a year, taking over previous Jeju and Busan clan bosses who died in a mafia war when they travelled to Macau.  

As soon as the bosses all sat down, Donggab wasted no time in kick-starting the meeting.

“Thanks for coming, gentlemen. As you must know, the reason for this meeting is to clear some unfounded rumors…”   

 “Hahahaha!!” Old Bang let out a loud chuckle. “Donggab, I laughed this same way as soon as I heard the rumor. I must say it’s the dumbest I have ever heard.”

Donggab could not help but smiled in agreement with the older man.

“Old Bang, you should have gone through with your marriage arrangement plan for Donggab and your daughter! He could have avoided such a rumor! Hahaha!” Boss Gill added.

“You are right, Gill!! Why did he take my idea as a joke? Now I’m sure he regrets it.” Old Bang adding more teasing as he elbow nudged Donggab now.

“A rumor don’t just appear out of nowhere…” Kush cut in the joking atmosphere.

“You are right, boss Kush.” Donggab responded coolly. “And I have heard all the assumptions that led to this rumor. But I’m just really curious, which one of the assumptions make you most believe that it might be true.”   

“Well, Sim D told me you always rejected the company of the female escorts at the night clubs.” Kush added.

“Dude, do you have to bring my name in?” Sim D then turned to face Donggab. “Look, Donggab, I only went out to the club with you twice so I can’t say much but I’m curious how could you resist those hot girls?!”

“Coz I see them almost everyday at the club that I own. I don’t need to mess around with my own staff. So, you are the idiot who spread the rumor, Sim D?” Donggab questioned.

“I only talked about our night club outings. The rest were added by god knows who.” Sim D explained.

“Probably by others who seem to know Donggab better than us, I guess. Those who are always by his side?” Kush added and side-eyed Dokki.

“Who the did you mean by that?” Dokki stood up and asked Kush.

“I didn’t say it was you…You -er!” Kush rebutted.

This time Dokki rammed his body onto Kush and a fist fight ensued.

Donggab held in his anger. That was a trait he was most proud of. His amazing anger management. He calmly tapped his fingers for some time, not even moving away from his seat as the rest of the clan leaders tried to stop the fight. Finally, he stood up, walked by the table to grab a pair of chopsticks. Then grabbing Kush by the back of his hair, Donggab pulled him away from the fight and slammed him hard against the wall. With Kush’s face pressed flat against the wall, Donggab asked Kush in a calm voice.

“So do I have to a girl in front of you to prove I’m worthy of being your chairman or….” Donggab asked as he jabbed the chopsticks in the rear end of Kush. “Do I have to you to prove your gay theory right, huh?”

Donggab added more pressure on the chopsticks and Kush quickly raised his hands in surrender. “Alright! Alright! You win, ok!”

Donggab finally let go of Kush who rubbed his bloodied nose from the slam on the wall, and also rubbed his to checked if his was fine. It was the first time Kush saw and experienced the violent side of The Quiett. He did not like the humiliation he had just endured but he knew for sure now that this young chairman was not one to mess around with.

“Sit down.” Donggab told them all.

The 4 clan leaders took their seats obediently before Donggab took his rightful seat at the head of the table.

“Why did you vote for me as chairman, Gill?” Donggab asked the Daegu clan boss. 3 years ago, when the election of a chairman for the 5 clans were needed, Donggab won by a huge majority vote. Sim D and Kush were obviously not clan leaders then so they basically were headed by a chairman pre-elected not by them.

“Coz you came from the bottom. Just like me. You know the workings from bottom to the top in this business.” Gill answered.

“As an elder here, I would like to state something.” Old Bang added as he lighted his cigar. “If you do not respect the chairman because you are not familiar with him, at least in respect your elders’ choice for electing him as chairman. We aren’t stupid.”

====

Taking a stroll after the meeting at the rooftop garden yard of the O-shin restaurant, Donggab took out his cigar and searched for his lighter in his pockets but before he could find it, a lighted lighter was held in front of him. The lighter holder was none other than Old Bang.

“Thank you, President Bang.” Donggab thanked the elder who lighted his cigar.

“It’s been a long time since we had such drama at a clan meeting. You have been doing good, Donggab.” Old Bang patted the back of the younger clan leader.

“Until now eh?” Donggab shook his head with a light laugh.

“I won’t take that little brawl as a big threat to your chairmanship.” Old Bang said.

“Kush has built himself a large growing army and I should be a little worried. I won’t be surprised if he still wants be a pain in my after what I did to his .”

“Haha! Even if he does play offensive, you don’t have to worry since you will have me and Gill’s men on your side.”

“Hyung-nim, when I say his army, I meant as big as a battalion. Our 3 clans combined would not be able to match his and I’m sure he has Sim D on his side already.”

“I won’t worry about that. We have the central police on our side and that relationship alone is stronger than any big army. And don’t forget about my links in the US.”

“Yeah, how’s the King of K-town doing?” Donggab heard of Old Bang’s own stronghold in LA where his protégé mafia boss held an idol-like reputation.

“The kid's doing good. Not ruining my legacy so far.” Old Bang laughed.

“That's good to hear. Hey, I was just thinking.” Donggab suddenly recalled. “Since when did I reject your proposal of your daughter’s hand in marriage?”

“You did! You said you were not going to marry someone you have never met!” Old Bang reminded.

“I did? Ahh I must have thought she must be too ugly to marry off that you had to choose me to marry her!” Donggab joked.

Old Bang laid a playful slap on Donggab’s head. “Hey, my daughter is too gorgeous for most men, ok! I chose you because I trust you the most and I think she matches you well. You know, she has my superior genes!”

“Ok, now I’m worried.”

The two men laughed in unison.

A/note: Patience! I'm building up Yubin's appearance. Kkk…