The Right Hand

Lonely at the Top

Zino opened his eyes slowly as he felt something cold and sharp against his neck. He widened his eyes and jerked in alert when he found a sharp blade at his throat.

“Don’t move!” A female voice whispered firmly in his ear from the back seat of the car and asked him. “Who the are you?”

Zino remained still as he eyed at his passenger seat where Yubin was sleeping peacefully. The female assailant put more pressure on the blade onto Zino now. “I…I’m just a bodyguard.” he spoke softly so as to not to wake Yubin and get her into trouble as well. He had to find a distraction so he could snatch the blade before it cut his throat.

Just then Yubin stirred and opened her eyes and Zino thought ! Not good. Yet it was somehow good because the female assailant was distracted by Yubin and had slightly loosen her grip at Zino’s throat. Zino quickly did a fast hand move twisting the woman’s palm and grabbing the blade swiftly from her. Zino aimed the blade at the woman in attack but Yubin exclaimed.

“NO! DON’T! She’s with me!”

Zino stopped. “WHAT?!”

Yubin then looked at the female assailant and asked. “Yezi! What are you doing here?!”

“Boss, I called you several times when I landed in Korea and you did not answer. I got worried so I had to trace your whereabouts through your phone’s tracking device!” Yezi reported.

Yubin quickly checked her phone and realized the several missed calls and texts. She shook her head and apologized to Yezi. “Sorry.. it’s on silent mode and I must have slept like a log.”

Zino then asked. “Excuse me, can someone enlighten me?”

“Oh, right..  Zino, meet my right hand, Yezi.” Yubin made introductions. “Yezi, meet the right hand of the clan leader of Seoul, Zino!”

“Nice to meet you. Now, can I have my knife back?” Yezi reached out to Zino for a handshake. Zino looked at Yezi’s rather friendly poker face and shook her hand and returned her weapon. So, Boss Yubin’s right hand was a female. Interesting.

“Holy ! What time is it now?” Yubin realized she had slept till morning and had possibly lost their track on the forger.

“6.30am” Zino noted. “I’m sorry I fell asleep, ma’am.”

Yubin brushed it off and they all looked closely at the house of the forger, wondering if he had left the house yet.

“What’s happening, boss?” Yezi had to ask. Yubin then explained the whole spy game mission to Yezi.

“Ok, I can go down and knock at his door to check if he’s in. I can play as a person who lost all my stuff and needed to use a phone desperately?” Yezi suggested.

“He’ll be suspicious. He’ll think you can ask any ahjumma around the area for help, why him?” Zino highlighted. 

“He’s right. When are your hackers arriving, Zino?” Yubin asked Zino.

“Soon. 7am.” Zino reported.

“I have an idea.” Yezi added. “Trust me!” She then took her own knife and drew blood on her own arm.

“Oh God..” Yubin faced-palmed and shook her head. Zino watched in surprise as Yezi got out of the car with a bleeding arm.

“What the is she doing?” Zino asked Yubin.

“I have no idea but most of the times when she does these crazy acts, it works in getting what she wants.” Yubin watched her right hand woman run towards the forger’s home.

The forger opened the door and looked at Yezi in surprise and then after a while he let Yezi into his house. Zino and Yubin waited patiently. 15 minutes has passed and still no sign of Yezi or the man coming out of the house.

“! I hope she’s alright.” Zino said.

“She’ll be fine. Let’s wait another 5 minutes.” Yubin said. Somehow, her right hand woman never disappointed her. That was why Yubin rather let Yezi run K-town than Jay while Dean and Yubin left for Korea for her father’s funeral. But Yubin needed Yezi by her side in Korea so Dean had to go back and take care K-town no matter what.

3 minutes later, Yezi came out of the house with a bandage on her arm and bowed in thanks to the forger. She walked quickly to the car and as soon as she got into the car she told Zino “Drive! Quick drive out of here!”

“What the ? My hackers are not here yet!” Zino said but he sensed danger so he just drove off as per Yezi’s suggestion.

“Get your hackers to meet us at a rest stop nearby.” Yezi advised as she held up a mobile phone with a victorious smile.

“You got his phone?!” Yubin looked at Yezi in surprise. “Without him knowing? Like, how did you steal his phone then? And why did he help you?” Yubin asked.

“I told him I was hurt by a gang member and was told by my gang that I could get help at his place since he’s the nearest ally in the area. He did not dare to reject me when I told him his name and he agreed to help me.” Yezi continued. “But I was acting so desperately and started opening his drawers in the kitchen myself to search for medicine and bandage so he quickly stopped me and helped me. I did that so he would be fully occupied with me and could not make any calls in between to identify and blow my cover. Anyway I realized his mobile was in his back-pocket of his jeans when he was taking down the med kit from the upper cabinet. After that, I basically close in on him with a grateful smile and told him I will forever thank him as a hero for saving my life. So while he blushed at my compliment, he had no idea I had already pick-pocketed his phone from his back pocket. The whole time he was bandaging my arm, I held conversations with him to hold his attention so he would not realize his phone was taken.”

“That’s my girl!!” Yubin cheered as she double-hi-fived her trusty right hand.

Zino shook his head at the 2 women in the car. Yubin’s right hand was one crazy . “Well, you could at least share with us your plan first before heading into that house after cutting your own arm.” He brought up.

“Yeah, Zino was kinda worried when we saw no action for more than 15 minutes after you got in there.” Yubin told Yezi.

“He must not know my Crazy Dog nickname eh? I don’t plan ahead, dude. I plan as I go.” Yezi smiled at Zino.

“Yeah, I should have told him that.” Yubin added.

“I have to say this, ma’am.” Zino warned Yubin. “The plan was to get access to his phone to the point that he was totally not aware of the loss of his phone data so he could not inform and warn his source in advance. This method that your Crazy Dog just did is just gonna have him cut the line of the fish we were about to catch.”

Zino was right and Yubin felt slightly apologetic. “You are right, Zino and I’m sorry for what Yezi did but she made a huge risk doing that and I’m gonna take full responsibility of it. We just have to do it the hard way to get to the fish then. I don’t care if the fish knows we are getting close. I want him to know I’m coming for him.” 

The 3 of them arrived at a rest stop half an hour away and headed to a café for breakfast. Zino’s hackers arrived at the rest stop 20 minutes later. The 2 hackers then cracked the forger phone’s password and got into his call and text lists. The lists that could help them trace the person who paid for his forger service of the suicide note.

“You are in luck.” Zino said to Yubin as he checked the phone. “This dumb dude doesn’t delete his work messages.”

Yubin stared at the messages. One of the message from a week ago was giving the forger the exact words to write for the suicide note and it was exactly the same words found in the alleged suicide note of her father. She teared up at the sight of the text and stared in anger at the sender’s number. There was no name but just a number. Her fingers trembled as she tapped on the number to dial.

“This number is no longer in use.” An automated voice spoke and Yubin shook her head at Zino.

Zino sighed. “They will not use a permanent number. It was definitely a temp sim card used for this purpose only.”