Revelations

Lonely at the Top

Yubin soaked herself in a hot tub of relaxing bath salt back at home after the long day of stake-out. She closed her eyes to calm her thoughts. Calm it away from all the vengeance thoughts and the next steps to catch the killer. Her ipod was playing some chill yoga music. After some time, she found her eyes taking a break and was in shut down mode for god knows how long. She was soon woken up by her phone ringing but it was a different notification tone, not her usual incoming calls tone. She stretched out to get to her phone. It was a skype call. From Donggab! She was so happy to see his call she quickly picked up.

Oh ! She forgot she was soaking in a hot bath and the skype was a video call! She sat up closing her knees to her chest as soon as Donggab was able to see her from the other end.

“Oh, sorry! Did I catch you at a bad time?” Donggab asked, slightly wide-eyed. Though he was also calling from a bathroom in a hotel, he was fully clothed. Yubin on the other hand was in a bath tub though he did not get to see her body.

“I….ah… yeah, I’m soaking in a hot bath now.” Yubin admitted. “But it’s fine, coz I’m focusing the camera on my face now, not my body.”

“Ah…I noticed.. but I still can’t help but imagine things I shouldn’t imagine.” He admitted jovially and then he added in a slightly more serious tone. “Anyway, I’m skyping because I wanna see you and not just hear you. And….also to tell you I won’t be back so soon I think.”

Yubin’s mood saddened a little but she understood. “Things are tough over there?”

“We are working to get close to possible weapons dealers in Daegu to lead us to the shooter. It might take a few days.” Donggab reported.

“Should I come over?” Yubin asked again.

“No.. better not.”

“I’m a fellow clan leader too, Donggab.”

He wished she went back to calling him oppa. Anyway he knew telling Yubin it was safer for her to be in Seoul was not going to work with her so he said “I heard from Zino about the progress on the forger’s phone. I think the lead is still strong. You should still stay on track on that case.”

Yubin nodded. “I know….but it would be good to be by your side now.”

“Yubin…I want that too. But…” Donggab shook his head. “These arms dealers can be dangerous.”

“Donggab, you need to remember I’m not a simple girl. I have been living dangerously all my life as the daughter of a mafia boss and being a mafia boss herself for past 5 years!”

“Yes, I know but you have become someone really important to me now.” Donggab surprised himself as he confessed. “I know it sounds crazy since we only just shared a kiss but I can’t….I just can’t bear to have you in any danger…I lost a dear friend and I can’t lose his daughter too…. ”

“Then how about me?!” Yubin injected. “I kissed you because I was thinking I may never get to kiss you again, ok! I also can’t bear to lose you!”

Donggab was stunned for a moment by Yubin’s confession. He knew he was crazy enough to feel so much for a woman he barely knew but he did not expect her to feel the same way too. “Why….why would you feel that way about me whom you knew barely a week.”

“The same ridiculous reason why you are feeling that way about me too!” Yubin told him honestly. “I don’t know!!”

Donggab did not know what to say except note how confused and embarrassed Yubin looked now through the phone.

Yubin then wanted to make something clear too. “And I don’t know if you believe me but I haven’t kissed anyone for some years already. So I’m not someone who kisses freely.”

Donggab smiled at her. He wanted to hug her badly. He even wanted to kiss her beautiful bare face on the phone at that moment too. And of course he wanted to make love to her all the more now. The fact that they live dangerous lives, what more was there to lose now.

“Ok, come down to Daegu when you can.” Donggab gave in.

====

After the skype call with Yubin, Donggab got out of the hotel bathroom but discovered Dokki just outside the bathroom door.

! He hoped Dokki did not hear anything. “Why are you always surprising me in bathrooms?!” Donggab scolded.

“Dude…I hope you know what you are doing…” Dokki just said.

“And I don’t know what you are talking about..” Donggab shook his head as he headed to sit on the sofa in the hotel suite he shared with Dokki.

“The between you and the King of K-town?” Dokki asked directly.

“You mean current clan leader of Gwangju?” Donggab corrected and might as well admit it already. “Yeah, I’m dating her. Is that an issue?”

“Dude, it’s barely a week!!!” Dokki reminded.

“I know!” Donggab turned to look at Dokki. “You complain that I don’t date, causing stupid rumors around and now when I do date, you think it’s wrong?”

“You could date any girl!! There are millions of them but you had to date her, a fellow clan leader?” Dokki asked.

“Because we just click well, ok! It’s not even ! There’s nothing wrong. And don’t forget Old Bang even gave me her hand in marriage before!” Donggab argued.

“Hyung, are you hearing yourself?” Dokki looked at his brother in arms and took hold of his shoulders. “This isn’t you! And I don’t believe she’s serious about you.”

“Why do you say that, Dokki?” Donggab asked.

“I just feel like she’s using you or something.” Dokki noted. “She’s the bloody King of K-town! How can she just fall for someone in such a short time? I mean, she even made a gang leader kill himself. Now how is that possible? I know she’s hot and has some powerful hold over men. I bet she seduced him, made him fall deep for her and willing to die for her, man. I just don’t think we should trust her so easily.”

But Donggab said firmly to his long-time friend. “If you don’t trust her, at least trust me.”

====

Zino stood in front of the door and knocked on the door a couple of times. No answer. He knocked harder a few more times and still no answer. He saw the guy walked into the house so he should be in. Yezi shook her head at Zino as she stood at the side of the door.

“Dude, let me try.” She suggested and Zino agreed and let her stand in front of the door.

Yezi knocked normally and then she called out “Anyone in?”

Less than a minute, the door opened and the guy exclaimed at Yezi. “YOU! You ! Where is my phone?!”

Yezi lifted up the forger’s phone for show but before he tried to grab for it, she shoved the guy further into the house. She pushed him to sit on the sofa. Zino hovering over the guy coolly with a dagger in his hand.

“Calm down now, oppa. I’ll still be nice to you since you took care of my arm.” Yezi told the forger. “Meantime we just have a few questions to ask you.”

“I’m not scared of you. I have men who will come in anytime and kick your in !” 

“It’s been a couple of days since I stole your phone and I still don’t see whoever you say over here protecting your , dude..” Yezi noted. “Whichever men you think have your back will stop protecting you once you lose your own . That’s how gangs work, oppa.”

“I don’t know what you are talking about. You have nothing against me.”

“I have this phone and this phone has a thread of conversations I’m sure the police will be very interested in.” Yezi showed the suicide note thread. “Oh, and a whole bunch of other forging businesses going on there as well. But I’m only interested in this recent suicide note one.”

“ !” the forger cussed. “What do you want from me?”

“Simple. Give me something that could lead me to this er who paid you for the suicide note forging.” Yezi asked.

“I don’t even know his name, ok. I just take the orders and money.”

“Don’t you do a meet-up with your clients?” Zino asked.

“I don’t. We just communicate via phone and do drop-offs at an arranged place. Usually in a secluded garbage bin.”

“And you are telling me you never saw your clients’ faces? Are you in sure?” Zino asked fiercely.

“I swear I never see their faces. It’s a business agreement.”

“Oh well. I’ll just let the police handle this then.” Yezi stood up.

“Wait wait! Please don’t!” The forger begged. “I…I…may have seen the face of this one. I mean, I play safe too so I wait to take a look sometimes.”

“Describe him.” Yezi commanded.

“Tall, sturdy guy. Ermm, always wearing sunglasses…Always in a leather jacket.”

“That is not enough, you !” Zino probed with the dagger pressed on the neck of the forger now.

“oh..oh! He has a tattoo on his neck. Like a gang sign. A thorny looking one with letters like a Y or V and G on them.”

“Hold on..” Yezi said as she found something in the forger’s phone. She took the phone and showed a photo of a man to the forger. “Is this the guy? When you said you play safe, you do it by taking photos of them too, eh?”

The forger hesitated and then nodded in resignation.

A/Note: It seems like most has little time to read this. I'll slow down with the updates. Anyway, I stopped writing for some days already.