Protection measures

Lonely at the Top

When Donggab and Dokki arrived in Daegu hospital, they were led to a highly secured room where Gill laid unconscious recovering from his gun-shot after surgery.

“Tell me what happened.” Donggab asked Gill’s right hand man, Gary.

“He was shot on the chest when he was coming out of a restaurant. By a sniper.”

“A sniper? This is not good. Did we catch the shooter?” Donggab asked.

“I’m afraid not. Police have informed me that the bullet is US military. It’s likely a smuggled weapon.” Gary revealed.

“Whoever this er is, he has some big backing to be able to get this weapon into our country.” Dokki noted.

“We need to give Gill the highest security. I can send some more men from my end. Is Sim D and Kush aware of this incident?” Donggab asked.

“At least the police are helping us with added security measures now as well. They are on high alert because of the rare smuggled weapon used.” Gary added. “Sim D and Kush should be on the way here as well.”

====

“Being working for the boss for 5 years already.” Zino answered Yubin’s question on his service with Donggab.

“Will you still work for him if someone gave you a better offer?” Yubin asked.

“I will work for him till I die, ma’am.” Zino told her.

“Really?”

“I don’t how they work in K-town but over here, for one to be able to become right hand man for a clan boss is not an easy ride up. Boss Donggab takes a long time to trust someone to be his right hand man. I only became his right hand man 3 years ago so I’m not giving up my job here so easily for better money.”

“So even if he told you to protect me with your life, you would die for me?” Yubin checked.

Zino nodded. “Yes. He told me you don’t have a right hand man with you now and I must protect you at all cost.” 

“I have lots of bodyguards just a phone call away, Zino.” Yubin reminded.

“A phone call doesn’t save you from immediate threat in moments like now when you are on a discreet stakeout in a small car, ma’am.”

“But you are also not always with Donggab, how are you going to attend to him when he’s in a dangerous situation?”

“That is not my choice, ma’am. It’s the boss who chooses to have his space. Who thinks that he can save himself most of the time. He got stabbed so often in the past he’s not afraid of death anymore.”

Was that why Donggab had that purple in his eyes? Because he took his life so lightly? Yubin shook her head at that thought. After a long time of not being in a relationship, she never thought she would be attracted to a man and of all men, one who with that rare and possibly dangerous purple. But Donggab was lucky to have Zino who though was not by his side often, he was indeed a quick trusty phone call away and she could tell the strong loyalty ties between these 2 guys. So strong he would even die for a stranger because his boss told him so. Zino was also very serious in his job. So serious he had hardly stolen a glance at Yubin while answering her questions. She was really curious to look into his eyes and wondered how to do so. Maybe she should make the conversation lighter to get rid of his seriousness.

“I just wanna thank you first in case you need to risk your life for me, Zino. I bet I’ll fall for you if you were my right hand.” Yubin thanked him with a half teased joke.

This time it worked because Zino actually turned and really looked at Yubin in surprise. Finally, Yubin was able to read the colors in his eyes. They were pink with bright red surround. Oh dear… Yubin now regretted her joke. She did not need to unwittingly seduce another man.

“Sorry, it was joke. Really.” Yubin assured.

But Yubin could not see if Zino’s red went away because he had turned away from her again.

Just then, Yubin phone notified an incoming text. It was from Donggab. Thank God for the distraction from the awkward moment now.

Donggab: Gill’s surgery is over and he is recovering well, though unconscious for now. They couldn’t catch the sniper who shot him in the chest but they found that the bullet is from a US military rifle. Will let you know more if there’s any more updates. How’s things over there?

Yubin conveyed the news to Zino while she texted Donggab back.

Yubin: Still no movement so far. Hackers will come in the morning and try to hack his phone discreetly when he is out of the house. Hope all goes well.

Donggab: Ok, good luck…

Yubin was typing to text back the same to him when another text came in from Donggab.

Donggab: I kinda miss you already.

She smiled at the text but she was lost for words to text back. She had not been mushy for too long a time! She played around with different replies and kept deleting it before sending.

“I miss you too.” DELETED.

“Come back quick then!” DELETED.

“😘 😚” DELETED.

Finally, she settled with “Me too :)” and was pretty satisfied with herself. After that, she remembered that Zino might have noticed her looking cheesy texting his boss and she looked up carefully to check.

Thankfully Zino had his eyes closed and Yubin realized he was asleep. He might have been really tired. So, Yubin decided not to wake him and keep watch herself since she was insomniac anyway. What she did not expect was her falling asleep not long later as well.

====

Donggab was worried when Yubin did not reply to his mushy text of missing her. Damn, he should not have texted it. How could he send such a text to her? She was a mafia boss. She did not do mushy! And since when did he do mushy too? He never knew he was capable of such before. But he did really miss her. He missed kissing her. He missed talking to her. He missed looking at her. And they only separated 3 hours ago. He covered his face in his palms in self-embarrassment and then his phone vibrated. He quickly checked to finally find her reply which put a happy smile on his face.

“You ok, dude? Why you smiling like a cheesebag?!” Dokki caught on.

“What? I’m not!” Donggab quickly denied.

Just then Sim D and Kush had arrived in the waiting room near Gill’s room where Donggab and Dokki sat.

“We came as soon as we heard.” Sim D announced. “Is it really true? A sniper?”

Donggab nodded. “Bullet from US military.”

“No !” Kush was surprised and then he looked around the waiting room. “Where’s our new Gwangju clan leader, eh? Thought she’ll be rushing over to see her Uncle Gill faster than all of us.”

“I told her not to come. If Gill’s shooter is in any relation to Old Bang’s death, Yubin is a highly likely target as well.” Donggab explained.

“ hell! All of us are targets too, Donggab!” Kush argued. “Why are you protecting her so soon? She’s your already?”

Donggab thought he could remained calm as he was used to Kush’s blunt words but Donggab was clenching his fists so tight he thought might crack his own knuckles now. 

“Kush, we are here to find out who is messing with our clan leaders right now. You can think about - again all you want later.” Donggab said as calmly as possible. “Yubin just lost her father and I prefer not to have her vengeful rage get involve in our war plan here for now.”

Donggab was also not going to share with the clan leaders the spy game he and Yubin had put themselves in recently. Not to mention their sudden passionate relationship development as well.

Kush seemed satisfied with Donggab’s answer. “Ok, so what’s the war plan now?”

“Get our men on high alert and share our resources by deploying extra security to each clan leader.” Donggab continued. “While we try to trace the illegal weapons smugglers around here who could have brought in that sniper rifle.”

A/Note: Ok, thanks for the feedback. Was worried the plot was boring since peeps were kinda quiet for 2 chapters.