Chap 10

The Good, The Bad and The Undead

After eating her lunch, Kristina went to the witch hunter station to send her report to Minseok, and at the same time, she wanted to know the outcome of Minseok’s and Chanmi’s date last night. She hoped something good had happened between them so she wouldn’t have to suffer from Chanmi’s murderous glare all the time.

Speak of the devil, she thought when she saw Chanmi walking toward her. As usual, Chanmi glared at her as she walked past her, and Kristina sighed. Yes, she couldn’t deny that Minseok was a very good looking, kind and strong man. Because of this, most of the girls had a crush on him.

However, she wasn’t like them. She only thought of Minseok as her older brother, and Chanmi didn’t seem to get that fact. She must have thought that there was something going between them due to their closeness.

This is all his fault for being stupid and cowardly, she thought as she angrily marched toward Minseok’s office.

 


 

Minseok was signing an important document when the door burst open. He smiled, thinking that it was Chanmi, since Chanmi usually would stop by at this hour before going back to do her jobs. However, the smile died down when he saw that the person turned out to be Kristina.

“What do you want?” Minseok asked. There was displeasure underneath his tone.

“I know that I’m unwelcome here, but I still need to send my report regarding the case you asked me to investigate yesterday.”

“It wasn’t like that… It’s just that I was hoping for someone else…”

“Was that person Chanmi-ssi?”

“Well… Yes. I was waiting for her.” There was a tint of pink on Minseok’s cheek. “She usually stops by at this time. However, she didn’t come today. Not only that, but she didn’t prepare breakfast and lunch for me. It made me wonder if I had done something wrong.”

Chanmi already dedicates herself to acting as his wife, yet Minseok-ge is still so dense.

Kristina scoffed. “You must have offended her during dinner last night.”

Minseok let out a shocked gasp.

“I didn’t! We’re having a conversation as usual. After we finished our dinner, I sent her home. She did invite me to come in, but I rejected it because I was a bit tired. That’s all. It wasn’t like you think.”

Kristina got up from the chair and flicked Minseok’s head.

“Ouch...What that for?” Minseok asked as he rubbed his forehead.

“You deserve it. No wonder why Chanmi-ssi didn’t cook for you and pay you a visit. I can’t understand how you sit in this position when you’re so dense and stupid.”

“Kristina, watch your mouth!”

“I’m just saying the truth.” Kristina threw her file on Minseok’s desk. “Here’s my report.”

“Kristina, you…”

“I’ll take my leave now.”

Kristina headed toward the door. Before she left the office, she turned to face Minseok.

“A woman’s patience has its limit, you know. Don’t make Chanmi-ssi wait too long.”

That was Kristina’s last word. She walked out from the office, leaving Minseok dumbfounded.

*

Kristina could feel watering after she saw the dishes being cooked by Yixin. All of them were their clan’s famous dishes. She was about to take the meat when Yixin stopped her with her chopsticks.

She let out a small whine. If anyone from her team saw her acting like a child, they’d be having a hard time believing that this was the same Kristina.

“Xin, what are you doing? I’m hungry!”

“You can only eat after you answer my question.”

Kristina leaned against the wooden chair. “Shoot.”

“Where were you last night?” Yixin asked, her tone hostile and her eyes cold.

“Take it easy, Xin. You act like a wife suspecting her husband cheating on her after not coming home for a whole night. The answer to your question is that I got lost in the forest yesterday, and since it was getting dark, I decided to camp at the forest.” Kristina decided to leave out the part that she spent her night with that arrogant, ert demon lord. Just thinking of his smug face made her blood boil.

“Jie, do you know how worried I was when you didn’t come home for a whole night? I was scared that something bad had happened to you.”

“I’m sorry for making you worry again. I didn’t take any communication device with me yesterday. That’s why I was unable to contact you.”

Kristina felt a little guilty for making her best friend worry about her again, but what could she do? The nature of her job made her face danger most of the time.

“It’s okay. I understand. Make sure to take your communication device with you next time.”

“Yes, Mom.”

“Shut up, Jie. Eat you dinner.”

Kristina quickly shoved the meat into . She moaned a little when the rich taste of meat combined with herbs hit her tongue.

“Jie, did he send a letter?”

“Who? My mysterious secret admirer? You do know that he only sends cheesy love letters and gifts during festivals,” Kristina answered as she took the prawn.

Yixin rolled her eyes. “Of course I know that. I don’t even care about your secret admirer. I was asking about the man who’ll get angry once he knows about this.”

“He’s stopped sending me letters for almost a year! I don’t care if he drops dead or something like that. He deserves it.” Kristina bit the prawn angrily.

“Jie, how could you say that? Don’t you even feel a little bit worried for Ge at all? I mean it’s been almost five decades since you last saw him.”

Kristina suddenly stopped her movement as she recalled back the night that she last saw him. The memory that she couldn’t forget no matter how hard she tried.

“Yifei, I really need to leave. I want to travel and see what’s outside this place. You can follow me if you want to,” a dark blond-haired man said. He grabbed Kristina’s hand. His heart felt like broken pieces when Kristina quickly pulled her hand away.

“Then go. No one is going to stop you. Someone needs to stay to avenge Baba and Mama if you’re not going to do it.”

The dark haired man sighed as he watched Kristina march out of his room. It’d take time for Kristina to calm her anger down, thus it was useless to talk to her right now. He left a note for Kristina before leaving that night.

“Jie!”

Kristina snapped out of it.

“Huh?”

“What’s wrong with you? I called you a few times, but you gave me no response.”

“Nothing. I’m perfectly fine.” Kristina put down her chopsticks. “I’m full. Thanks for the dinner.”

“But…”

Yixin wasn’t able to finish her words, because Kristina already headed to the stairs. She sighed dejectedly, knowing her question must have offended Kristina.

 


 

Kristina yawned as she walked down the street. She wasn’t able to sleep the whole night. She was only able to close her eyes after the sun rose. This was all Yixin’s fault. Why did she have to ask that question that she knew would make her lose sleep?

It had been a year since the last letter she received, and that made her wonder what had happened to make him unable to send letters anymore. Could it be that… Kristina quickly shook her head.

She didn’t care if he was dead. He deserved it for abandoning her in the first place. Not only that, but he even dared to take her favorite alpaca doll with him. Still, she wasn’t going to deny that his leave made her life easier.

She let out another yawn again. Luckily for her, she didn’t have any mission today. Not only that, but she had gotten her salary today. She thought about what she should do with her salary. Should she buy food or dolls to add to her doll collection?

She then remembered the demon that sold information for a living. She was still curious about him, and she wanted to know who he really was. She sighed. It looked like she had to use all of her salary to pay that demon.

 


 

“Achoo!”

Luhan rubbed his nose. He had been sneezing non stop since last night, making Sehun worry about him getting sick. However, he managed to convince Sehun that he wasn’t sick. It was just that his nose was itchy.

It was actually a white lie. He knew the real reason he had been sneezing non stop. He was even willing to bet his life that his meimei must be bad mouthing him again.

Speaking of his meimei, he did miss her a lot. It had been five decades since he last saw her. He used to send letters to her. However, he had to stop because they were on run right now, and he didn’t want to risk anything.

He wondered if his meimei was healthy. Did she eat on time? Did she still have nightmares? Did she… Luhan clenched his fist as he counted to three. His mind didn’t have to wander too far. His meimei was fine, since she lived with their childhood friends who would help him to take care of her.

He need to continue his search now before Sehun got far or encountered danger. He searched every corner of the market to find him. He sighed multiple times that day when he wasn’t able to spot Sehun anywhere inside the market.

He was little regretful for taking Sehun with him to the market, but he couldn’t say ‘no’ to Sehun, especially when Sehun was begging him using his puppy eyes. He’d forgotten that Sehun was just like an excited puppy and that everything was a huge distraction for him.

Seeing the smile on Sehun’s lips made him very happy to the point that he didn’t mind Sehun dragging him to every stall. He then stopped by the fruits stall for a minute or two to buy some fruits. However, when he turned around, Sehun was gone.

“Sehun!” Luhan called as he pushed through the crowds, hoping to spot the tall, lanky man. He groaned in frustration, since there were so many people in the market, making it hard for him to move through it.

“Oh Sehun!” he called out again, hoping that this time Sehun would reply to him, but his call fell on deaf ears in the noisy crowd.

He wanted to use his power so he could find Sehun easily, but he couldn’t. They were in human realm. There was a chance that someone would see him using his power, and that was a risk he couldn’t take.

“Gege!”

Luhan was very relieved when he saw Sehun running toward him. However, it didn’t last long when Sehun accidentally bumped into a man, making him fall onto the ground.

He mentally face-palmed himself after he saw the scene. He ran toward Sehun and grabbed his arm and help him get up from the ground.

Luhan was about to apologize to the man when he felt the man’s aura.

‘!’ he mentally cursed. He quickly bowed at the man before he dragged Sehun away. They need to leave fast before the man realized who they really were.

Tao tapped his chin as he watched the pair leave. There was something familiar about slightly shorter, feminine man. However, no matter how hard he thought, he was just unable to recall it.

 


 

“Gege! My wrist hurts!”

Luhan quickly let go of Sehun’s wrist then checked to make sure it was alright. He felt guilty when he saw bruise starting to form on Sehun’s wrist.

“I’m sorry, Sehunnie. I didn’t mean to hurt you,” Luhan said as he kissed Sehun’s wrists. His action made Sehun’s face turn red.

“It… It’s okay, Gege. I know that you didn’t do it on purpose. I just want to know why you were so eager to leave the market.”

Sighing, Luhan replied, “That man is demon. That’s why I quickly dragged you away from the market. I don’t want him to know who we really are.”

“Oh…”

Sehun kicked the rock with slight disappointment on his face. He could predict what would happen next, since this was not the first time it happened.

“We’ll check out early in the morning and find a new place to stay.”

“Yes, Gege,” Sehun mumbled dejectedly.

Luhan’s heart ached when he saw the sad expression on Sehun’s face. He knew that Sehun must feel sad that they had to move again, but what choice did he have? He needed to do this to protect Sehun.

He squeezed Sehun’s hand gently. “You know right? Everything I do is for your best.”

“Yes, I know. I’m okay, Gege. I’m only a bit sad that we have to leave this beautiful place,” Sehun answered. ‘But how much longer are we going to hide?’ was left unsaid by him. He didn’t want to fall into another argument with Luhan again. For now, he could only wait until the time came when they didn’t need to hide anymore.

*

Tao let out a relieved sigh when he finally saw his shop building. He glanced at his watch. There were still five minutes left before his drama started. He took his keys from his pocket and headed toward his shop.

He stopped his steps when he saw Kristina standing in front of his shop while leaning against the door. He gulped. She looked breathtakingly beautiful as always.

She seemed to realize his presence and turned to face him.

“Ohh… You finally back. Here. I hope it’s enough.”

Kristina threw a money bag toward him. It hit his shoes. Tao bent down to take the money bag. He then untied and looked inside it. It actually was quite a lot. If he was telling the truth, he didn’t even care how much customers gave to him as long as they paid him something, but he would not tell that to Kristina.

“I’m sorry, Kristina. This isn’t enough. My information is quite expensive. It cost $3000 per information.”

Kristina was quite shocked to know that this demon charged so much for information, and her salary wasn’t enough to cover it.

“Since I’m being nice today, I’ll give you information without even taking your money. However, there’s one condition.”

Kristina’s eyes narrowed slightly. “What’s the condition?”

Tao’s lips then formed into a smirk.

“Go out to dinner with me.”

 

Beta-ed by rmzcharizard


Author's note: Duh...duh....a clifhanger and also Hunhan appearance. Stay tuned for the next chapter.

Pls leave down a comment what do you think of this chapter. smiley