joy to the world

Apartment Block 17

 

a/n; happy chapter seventeen everybody :’) 
aka. chapter 2 out of 4 in the christmas saga
 
-------------
 
PART THREE: ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU
[APARTMENT BLOCK 17]
 
“Jeonghan actually ended up starting art classes?” Wonwoo asked in surprise. He knew Jeonghan wasn’t the most active person in Pledis University (unless it concerned Hong Jisoo).
 
“Yeah! They start next Saturday,” Mingyu said excitedly. “He said Seungcheol would print posters to advertise them. So I gotta go to his apartment now to collect them since Jeonghan’s in class.”
 
“Do you need my help?” Wonwoo asked.
 
“Nah, I’ve got it. Thanks,” Mingyu smiled. 
 
They walked into Apartment Block 17, having met up for lunch after both their morning classes ended. The lobby seemed much more festive than it was that same morning. Colourful lights were strung up across the walls and a tall Christmas tree with fake presents underneath sat in the middle of the wide space.
 
“Seungcheol must’ve finally got round to decorating the place,” Wonwoo said, amused.
 
“You sound like it’s something he’s never done,” Mingyu laughed.
 
“Last year, this was the only apartment block in the area that was as boring as normal,” Wonwoo explained. “His father must’ve pushed him to decorate this year.”
 
The elevator reached the lobby and they entered without a second thought. But Mingyu noticed that the elevator too, was decorated. His face flooded with a rush of blood to his cheeks when he looked up.
 
Wonwoo followed Mingyu’s line of sight and saw a small piece of mistletoe hanging from the ceiling. His mind in that moment was full of profanities directed towards whoever put that damn plant in the elevator (he was 99% sure it was Seungcheol’s idea).
 
“Um--” Mingyu stuttered.
 
“Don’t,” Wonwoo looked away in embarrassment.
 
Mingyu’s cheeks flushed even more. As much as he wanted an excuse to kiss Wonwoo again (in a totally platonic way, of course), the pure embarrassment on Wonwoo’s face halted him. 
 
Mingyu had never seen Wonwoo look so embarrassed. He didn’t think it was possible for someone as expressionless as Wonwoo to look so embarrassed.
 
The elevator soon stopped at the fourth floor, and Wonwoo hurried out before Mingyu could say anything else. Mingyu sighed and closed the elevator, continuing on to the seventh floor.
 
-------------
 
“I’ll be dead in an hour, Baekhyun, and there’s nothing you can do about it,” Wonwoo laughed bitterly.
 
Mingyu punched Wonwoo’s chest lightly. “You’re an idiot,” he whispered.
 
“Well, you’re not wrong,” Wonwoo’s lips turned upwards into a small smile. But it still looked like he was in great pain. 
 
Mingyu twisted his face into an expression of hurt. At least, he hoped it looked like he was hurting. Fake crying wasn’t as easy as most people thought it was - but Mingyu tried his best to produce a few tears.
 
”Aw, why are you crying?” Wonwoo asked with a raspy tone. “Don’t tell me... you actually like me back?” his voice had a joking quality to it. Exactly as the script entailed. Junhui was a great actor, but Mingyu was shocked at how well Wonwoo portrayed the character of Park Chanyeol.
 
“Mingyu, it’s your line,” Wonwoo broke character and pointed at the script. Mingyu snapped out of his thoughts with a sheepish grin.
 
“Sorry,” Mingyu hurriedly checked the script again, though he’d memorised that scene perfectly.
 
“You’re going to have to do better than that,” Wonwoo teased light-heartedly. “At this rate, even I could replace you.” 
 
Mingyu punched Wonwoo’s shoulder. “It’s difficult,” he pouted.
 
“Well, that’s why I’m helping you practise,” Wonwoo rolled his eyes, looking back at the script. “Continue?”
 
Mingyu couldn’t help but wonder why Wonwoo was acting so cooperative that evening. Nevertheless, he shut his eyes and imagined himself back in the scene. “What if I did?” he continued with a choked voice.
 
Wonwoo sat up, groaning, bringing his face closer to Mingyu’s.
 
“What are you--” Mingyu asked. He was about to break character, saying they essentially finished the scene, but before he could, he felt something warm against his lips and a hand ghosting the back of his neck.
 
It took him far longer than it should’ve to realise that Wonwoo was kissing him.
 
Well, it was in the script, but Mingyu didn’t expect him to actually do it.
 
Mingyu had never kissed anyone before. He didn’t have any experience whatsoever. He didn’t really know what to do with his hands, didn’t know when he should take a breath, whether or not he should kiss Wonwoo back. He wasn’t sure he even knew how to kiss Wonwoo back.
 
He didn’t know if it was because it was Wonwoo, or if all kisses felt like this, but he liked the feeling. He could feel Wonwoo’s dark lashes tickling his face, and he willed himself not to sneeze and make the situation more awkward than it already was.
 
Wonwoo’s lips tasted like the honey lemon tea he loved to drink. Mingyu wondered what his own lips tasted like. Did his lips even have a taste?
 
Before Mingyu could even attempt to kiss back (because honestly, he kind of wanted to try it), Wonwoo pulled back. He was smiling. 
 
But it was as if Wonwoo realised what he had done a few seconds too late. The smile was wiped off his face in an instant, and he stood up hastily.
 
“S-sorry,” Wonwoo blurted out. “I, uh-- got a bit too into that role,” he rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment.
 
Mingyu didn’t know what to say. His lips still tingled from where they touched Wonwoo’s. He kind of wanted to kiss him again.
 
“I think you’ll be fine at the rehearsal tomorrow,” Wonwoo continued. “Yeah. I’m gonna go... finish a book,” he said as he disappeared into his room. Mingyu remained on the floor for a few more minutes before he snapped out of it.
 
Not knowing what else to do, he texted Junhui.
 
-------------
 
It’d been roughly two weeks since Wonwoo kissed him for the first time. Mingyu still wasn’t sure what to think of it - Wonwoo had said he was acting in that moment, but Mingyu wasn’t too sure. It felt too... real. 
 
Though it was initially awkward, Wonwoo seemed to have forgotten about it (until that moment in the elevator). Mingyu figured that Wonwoo didn’t want to talk about it, so he forced down his curiosity and didn’t push the topic further. 
 
Though both of them didn’t address what happened, ever since that night, Mingyu could feel some sort of awkward tension between him and his roommate. He wanted to do something about the awkwardness between him and Wonwoo, but even he himself wasn’t sure of his own feelings. He didn’t want to jump to conclusions about why Wonwoo kissed him in the first place.
 
Of course he liked Wonwoo; they were roommates and close friends. They had only known each other for a few months, but Mingyu hadn’t felt closer to anyone else but Wonwoo. Whenever something mildly interesting happened, Wonwoo would be the first person Mingyu talked to. Though Wonwoo acted like he was uninterested, Mingyu knew he was actually listening. Talking to him was comforting.
 
Mingyu enjoyed every moment with Wonwoo, whether it was cooking together (which involved a lot of terrible food puns from Wonwoo and yells whenever Mingyu dropped something) or the random late night talks they would have from time to time (ranging from topics like global warming to the importance of buttons). He wouldn’t trade it for anything. 
 
The past six months had been the best of his life; and he was thankful that his relationship with Wonwoo had come so far since the first day he moved into Apartment Block 17. Mingyu simply enjoyed being in Wonwoo’s company. He’d never bothered to think of their relationship as anything more than that. 
 
So the immense confusion that overwhelmed Mingyu when Wonwoo kissed him caused him to rethink everything that he felt for his roommate. He wasn’t sure what defined the borderline between platonic and romantic love for a friend. He wasn’t sure if such a borderline even existed with Wonwoo.
 
Mingyu pushed aside his thoughts as he knocked on Seungcheol’s door.
 
“Hey, Mingyu,” Seungcheol greeted as he opened the door. “I’ve got the posters inside.”
 
“Cool,” Mingyu said thankfully as he entered the apartment. He was surprised at the state of mess it was in.
 
Strewn across his couch and dining table was what seemed like left over Christmas decorations, as well as packets upon packets of cheap candy canes.
 
“I just saw the lobby,” Mingyu smiled, “Looks like you were pretty busy this morning.”
 
“Tell me about it,” Seungcheol sighed as he plopped himself down onto the only available seat in the room. “If it wasn’t for Jeonghan’s help, I would’ve collapsed halfway. The posters are on the kitchen counter, by the way,” he pointed weakly to a stack of paper on the counter. 
 
Mingyu sifted through the posters; they were simple, but they got the message across. “These are good. Jeonghan will be grateful.”
 
“He better be,” Seungcheol laughed. Looking around at his messy apartment, he seemed to be reminded of something. 
 
“It’s nearly Christmas,” Seungcheol finally said. “Have you got a present for Wonwoo?”
 
Mingyu sat down on the floor in front of Seungcheol. “I was actually going to ask you for help,” he said, realising that asking Seungcheol for advice wasn’t a terrible idea. Mingyu wanted to get Wonwoo something special, but he’d been so caught up with rehearsing the play that he didn’t realise Christmas was approaching already.
 
“You’ve come to the right place,” Seungcheol grinned, leaning forward. “Any ideas so far?”
 
“Not anything meaningful or creative,” Mingyu sighed.
 
“Well, what does Wonwoo mean to you?” Seungcheol asked.
 
“I’m... not sure,” Mingyu admitted. “I’ve been a bit confused lately.”
 
Seungcheol gave him a smug smile. “Did something happen?”
 
“Well, I mean...” Mingyu began, realising he hadn’t told Seungcheol that Wonwoo kissed him. He assumed Seungcheol would’ve found out somehow. “He kind of kissed me, and--”
 
Seungcheol obviously didn’t expect that, as he flinched back in surprise. “Wait, what?” he exclaimed, leaning forward precariously in his chair. “Since when?” he demanded.
 
“He was helping me practise the play right after our first rehearsal,” Mingyu said quietly. 
 
“That was like, two weeks ago,” Seungcheol said, as if he didn’t believe that no one had told him until now. 
 
“Yeah... We got to the scene where Chanyeol dies. And he didn’t exactly air-kiss me like Junhui does during rehearsals.”
 
Seungcheol whistled. “Man... you kids grow up so fast,” he breathed, wiping a non-existent tear from his eyes.
 
Mingyu laughed nervously. 
 
“Details,” Seungcheol pressed on.
 
“It was just a second,” Mingyu said bluntly. “It happened so fast. I can’t remember the details... Anyway, it’s not that important. Just tell me what to get him,” he said, exasperated, wanting to drop the topic.
 
In all honesty, Mingyu remembered every second of that moment. His close friends knew a play by play of it, as he ranted on for hours to them on the night it happened. He had a group chat with over 200 messages to prove it (which Junhui accurately named ‘wonwoo trash squad’).
 
“Fine,” Seungcheol frowned. “If you don’t want to tell me, I’ll just have to find out what happened from Wonwoo.” 
 
Mingyu flinched in horror. “If I won’t tell you, don’t expect Wonwoo to.”
 
“We’ll see,” Seungcheol grinned, clearly planning out how to persuade Wonwoo into spilling the details. “Anyway, do you know what Wonwoo would like for a present?”
 
“No... that’s why I’m asking you. I guess a book is a safe option, but I don’t want to be so generic,” Mingyu was relieved that Seungcheol dropped the topic for now.
 
“Well, handmade gifts are always the most meaningful,” Seungcheol said thoughtfully. “You’re interested in art and design, aren’t you? Why not draw a portrait of him? It’ll be cute.”
 
“That’s not a bad idea,” Mingyu said, surprised.
 
“I’d never give you a bad idea, Mingyu,” Seungcheol tutted. “You could ask Jeonghan for help,”  he suggested. “But first, you’ll need a reference picture of Wonwoo.”
 
“He hates it when I try to take pictures of him, though,” Mingyu sighed.
 
“Well, you’ll have to try extra hard,” Seungcheol grinned and patted him on the back. 
 
“I’ll give it a go. Thanks,” Mingyu said gratefully. He stood up and gathered the stack of posters  into his arms with Seungcheol’s help.
 
“Do you like him?” Seungcheol asked suddenly, breaking the silence. Mingyu dreaded that question, because he honestly didn’t know.
 
“I’m not sure,” Mingyu sighed.
 
Seungcheol nodded thoughtfully. “You’ll figure it out eventually,” he said as he helped carry out the rest of the posters. “I know you will. I’m rooting for you guys.” 
 
“Please stop,” Mingyu groaned. “You sound like a dad.”
 
“Hansol tells me that all the time,” Seungcheol rolled his eyes as he shut the door gently.
 
Mingyu let his head fall back in exasperation as he readjusted his grip on the posters. He felt better after talking to Seungcheol, but he hated how confused he still was. He treasured his relationship with Wonwoo, and hated the doubt he felt about their relationship. 
 
But the urge to kiss Wonwoo again was overwhelming. It’s not like Mingyu was an expert on relationship classifications (his only ‘relationship’ being a fake marriage to a girl in pre-school), but he was pretty sure that ‘friends’ weren’t people you wanted to make out with.
 
Mingyu shook his head, desperately trying to rid himself of these thoughts. I’ll figure it out eventually. Like Seungcheol said.
 
‘Eventually’ turned out to be less than an hour later.
 
-------------
 
Mingyu put up some posters on the board in the lobby, before dropping by Jeonghan’s apartment to give the rest to Jisoo, after explaining the situation. 
 
“Jeonghan actually took initiative and started art classes?” Jisoo seemed as surprised as Wonwoo was. Mingyu nodded. 
 
“Looks like my urging finally worked,” Jisoo muttered.
 
Mingyu noticed that Jisoo’s shirt was covered in splotches of paint. “Are you painting something?” he asked curiously.
 
Jisoo looked down at his stained shirt. “O-oh. Jeonghan’s Christmas present,” he explained in a hushed tone. “Please don’t tell him.”
 
Mingyu grinned. “I won’t.”
 
As Mingyu walked back to his apartment, he thought of how he could get a picture of Wonwoo without him protesting.
 
“Took you a while,” Wonwoo commented as he let Mingyu into their apartment.
 
Mingyu laughed timidly. “Yeah, I got caught up talking to Seungcheol.”
 
“About what?” Wonwoo asked casually as he plopped back down onto the couch. There was an American romcom playing on the TV that Mingyu wasn’t sure Wonwoo was actually watching or not.
 
“Uh... school,” Mingyu lied.
 
“Fun,” Wonwoo said sarcastically.
 
“Anyway,” Mingyu sat down on the couch next to him. He decided to just get straight to the point. “Can I take a picture of you?”
 
Wonwoo turned to him. “Why?”
 
Mingyu gulped, but pushed on. “I need a good contact picture of you in my phone,” he lied.
 
Wonwoo gave him a questioning look and laughed a little. “Seriously?”
 
“What’s so weird about that?” Mingyu asked defensively.
 
“Why didn’t you ask me sooner?” Wonwoo narrowed his eyes in suspicion.
 
“Uh, I was looking through my phone earlier and it bothered me that you’re the only one without a picture,” Mingyu said cautiously. “You’re my roommate, after all.”
 
Wonwoo didn’t seem convinced. Mingyu should’ve known it would take a more convincing excuse. 
 
“You’re pretty weird, you know?” Wonwoo smiled slightly. 
 
“Well, you’re the one who picked me as a roommate,” Mingyu pointed out. “So stop insulting me,” he said jokingly, punching Wonwoo’s shoulder as he often did when the older insulted him.
 
“You’re such a child,” Wonwoo’s expression grew playful, “I took you in because I pitied you.”
 
Mingyu couldn’t handle how cute Wonwoo looked in that moment. He just stared.
 
“Fine,” Wonwoo relented after a few moments of silence. “Tell you what. I’ll let you take my picture if you cook dinner and do the laundry for this whole week. Sound fair?”
 
“But I always cook dinner,” Mingyu frowned.
 
“Then it’ll be easy, won’t it? Just add the laundry to your to do list,” Wonwoo leant closer unconsciously.
 
“Alright,” Mingyu agreed, suddenly flustered by Wonwoo’s proximity. He was surprised that Wonwoo consented so easily, even if it came with a price. Tearing his eyes from his roommate’s gorgeous face, Mingyu grabbed his phone. 
 
He opened the camera app and focused it on Wonwoo’s face. Wonwoo smiled into the camera.
 
He smiled. A smile that Mingyu hadn’t seen before.
 
It wasn’t the kind of smile Wonwoo smiled when he was having fun. It wasn’t like the time Wonwoo smiled when Mingyu accidentally tripped over his long apron and spilled chocolate milk all over his face. 
 
It wasn’t the same as the smile Wonwoo had on his face after he kissed Mingyu two weeks ago.
 
It was a smile that lit up his features, that said everything was going to be okay. It was a smile that displayed the purity of Jeon Wonwoo, a smile so powerful that even if Wonwoo was about to kill him, Mingyu would probably thank him for it. A smile that was dangerous to Mingyu’s health and wellbeing. 
 
Mingyu felt something stir inside him.
 
He’s felt this feeling before. ‘Butterflies’ was an understatement. It was more like an entire zoo, honestly.
 
He felt like this whenever Wonwoo initiated contact, before pulling away hastily, leaving Mingyu slightly disappointed and craving more. 
 
He felt it whenever Wonwoo hid his face behind his sweater paws, or whenever his laughs became uncontrollable and he would clap like a seal and his nose would scrunch up like a rabbit’s. Whenever Wonwoo’s poker face broke and his true emotions showed. He loved it when that happened.
 
He felt it whenever Wonwoo ranted on about his favourite books, trying to hide the fact that he was a complete nerd, trying to hide his obsession with dramas and cheesy romance novels (but failing completely as Mingyu occasionally caught him sitting on his bed in the dark in front of his laptop, with a box of tissues clutched in his arms and tears streaked down his face).
 
Mingyu felt like this whenever Wonwoo acted like the dork he actually was. It was a nice feeling.
 
Being the open and honest person he was, Mingyu often didn’t think twice before he spoke or acted. He was never one to hide things from anyone; especially not his roommate.
 
Mingyu considered texting Junhui, Minghao or Seokmin for advice, but figured this was far too personal to ask someone else’s opinion. As clichéd as it felt, he wanted to follow his heart this one time. 
 
Instantaneously in that moment, it had become crystal clear. How he truly felt about Jeon Wonwoo. 
 
It was as if all his previous confusion was erased the second Wonwoo smiled. Mingyu didn’t know why he was searching so hard for an answer that was right in front of him.
 
“Hey, Wonwoo. I think I’m in love with you.”
 
-------------
 
PART FOUR: REMEMBER THE REASON FOR THE SEASON
[PLEDIS ENTERTAINMENT]
 
The thirty or so current trainees at Pledis Entertainment gathered in the biggest studio, as per staff orders. It was time for Pledis’ annual special trainee Christmas broadcast. 
 
Seokmin spotted Chan across the room and waved frantically to get his attention. Chan grinned and flashed finger guns.
 
“Seokmin,” a female voice caught his attention. Seokmin flushed, as he recognised the voice. It belonged to Yuju, a fellow trainee who also happened to be his classmate and good friend at Pledis University.
 
“You nervous?” she laughed, glancing at Seokmin’s shaking hands. 
 
He smiled as widely as he could. “I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t.”
 
She clasped his hands tightly in her own. “You’re one of the best trainees here. Fans love you already,” she smiled. The gesture made Seokmin relax a little.
 
They were soon divided into groups and given scripts to read over. This year’s broadcast would be a collection of Christmas skits performed by each group of trainees.
 
Seokmin was happy to see that both Chan and Yuju was in his group. The broadcast started and each trainee bowed and introduced themselves (which unsurprisingly took a really long time). Seokmin’s group was up to perform first, and they drew their roles out of a hat.
 
“Horse,” Seokmin grinned and held up the paper he had picked to the camera. 
 
“Elf,” Chan picked his role after Seokmin.
 
“Princess,” Yuju read out after Chan. Seokmin couldn’t help but think it was a perfect role for her. 
 
They soon assembled and Seokmin waited backstage nervously for his scene to come.
 
He read over the script again and realised that in his opening scene, the princess was riding the horse.
 
As in, Yuju was meant to be riding Seokmin. He didn’t exactly know how to pull that off.
 
“Do you think you could piggy back me?” the girl in question whispered. Seokmin hadn’t seen her approach him.
 
“Yeah, sounds like a good idea,” Seokmin said, thankful that Yuju seemed cool with the situation.
 
Seokmin knew he wasn’t allowed to ‘like’ anyone, due to Pledis’ strict dating regulations, but he would admit that Yuju was someone special to him. They had known each other since middle school back in Seokmin’s hometown, and had coincidentally moved to Seoul at the same time after both being accepted into Pledis.
 
But he’d never had the chance to properly get to know her. He heard that she was going to debut soon in Pledis’ new girl group. 
 
Seokmin hated being left behind. While he was an easy-going and lively person, he did sometimes display perfectionist tendencies and didn’t like it when he failed to succeed. He was always used to getting by in life by trying his best; but knowing that even his best wasn’t good enough for the idol industry made him feel despondent.
 
Convincing his parents was difficult. They were quite shocked to hear that both of their sons wanted to move to Seoul and pursue careers as idols, which no doubt required brutal training, raw talent and mental strength to achieve. Seokmin knew that he had to try beyond his best if he wanted to succeed and prove to his parents that they made the right decision to trust him. 
 
Yuju was no doubt one of the most talented people Seokmin had met in his life. Since middle school, she had excelled in both academics and sports, and had the same passion for music as Seokmin and Chan did. Seokmin didn’t know anyone more worthy of debut than her.
 
But he was also jealous. He’d never been able to really beat Yuju in anything for as long as he’d known her. He didn’t want to be left behind when she debuted.
 
He was snapped out of his worries when his entrance to the skit was required. He allowed Yuju to hop onto his back as he ‘galloped’ into the scene.
 
It was embarrassing to say the least, and it wasn’t like the skit had the best writing ever, but Seokmin had fun performing it. He had to admit that Chan was a pretty good actor himself.
 
The broadcast ended with unit performances; Seokmin had been grouped with two other trainees to perform an acappella cover of ZICO’s ‘I am you, you are me’. They hadn’t had much time to practise, but Seokmin hoped they did alright (if they didn’t, he knew they’d be at risk of not being considered for debut). 
 
Chan had coincidentally been paired up with Yuju, and they performed a contemporary dance to a remix of Michael Jackson’s ‘Smooth Criminal’. Seokmin had no doubt that the song was picked by Chan (aka. #1 Michael Jackson trash).
 
The broadcast finished and the trainees collapsed to the ground in relief. As much fun as broadcasts were, it was stressful to filter everything you said and keep up a personality that fans would like. 
 
Seokmin was all ready to head home, but their CEO walked into the studio. All the trainees immediately stood back up and formed a neat line.
 
The CEO of Pledis looked rather angry.
 
Seokmin shook at the CEO’s agitated expression. He didn’t see the CEO as someone who was very strict or short-tempered, and in the few times he had met with him, he had never seen him look this angry.
 
Seokmin prayed that he had done alright in the broadcast. There were rumours around the agency that a boy and girl group would soon be debuting, and Seokmin desperately wanted to be part of it. He didn’t want his parents to force him and Chan to move back home.
 
“Trainees,” the CEO began in his authoritative voice, “I wasn’t happy with your performance on today’s broadcast.”
 
Seokmin felt his heart drop to his toes.
 
“I need you all to follow me,” his voice boomed across the studio as he walked briskly out of the door. The other trainees looked terrified, but followed anyway.
 
Seokmin met Chan’s eyes and they gave each other a horrified expression. 
 
The CEO led them to the cafeteria, and Seokmin was shocked to see plates upon plates of delicious food lined up on every available surface on the largest, centre table.
 
The smell of glazed meat invaded Seokmin’s nostrils and his mouth started watering. He was starving after training all afternoon and performing a skit and vocal act for the broadcast that evening.
 
The other trainees looked just as confused, but the sight of food in front of them erased all questions. 
 
“Did I scare you?” the CEO sat down at a table and grinned at the trainees. “I was just joking. It’s nearly Christmas! I figured it was the perfect time to reward you all for your hard work this year.”
 
Seokmin’s heart jumped back to its original position.
 
The trainees were let loose on the feast in front of them. Seokmin met up with Chan, but both were soon distracted with piling up as much food as they could onto the tiny plastic plates they were provided.
 
Time went by in a blur whenever food was concerned. The feast was reduced to empty plates in just over half an hour. The CEO tapped a glass to call for the trainees’ attention once again.
 
“Cheers to a brilliant 2016, and an even better 2017!” he toasted. All the trainees cheered and raised their (empty) glasses. 
 
As far as Seokmin was concerned, they had one last photoshoot to complete for a magazine starting from Christmas Day, before earning a well deserved break over New Year. He couldn’t wait to relax.
 
“I’m so proud of what you have all achieved this year. It’s truly a shame I can’t let you all debut.” The reality of the situation hit Seokmin once again.
 
“And speaking of debut, we have some news to announce,” he continued. The room went into uproar as the trainees began to talk amongst themselves. 
 
When everything went silent, the CEO said, “The next group we will be debuting consists of five boys. We have plans for a girl group as well, but a boy group will be our first priority at the moment.”
 
Seokmin held his breath.
 
The CEO read out a shortlist of fifteen boys they were currently considering for the five-membered boy group lineup. Seokmin and Chan weren’t on the list.
 
“This is of course, subject to change. You are all incredibly talented, and there will definitely be chances for you in the future.” 
 
Seokmin knew this was a lie; he knew tons of people who trained for years but never got to debut. 
 
Seokmin and Chan needed to debut soon if they wanted to keep their parent’s trust. Seokmin thought that he had secured a dream and future to work towards when he was accepted into Pledis; but now, he wasn’t too sure about it. 
 
He’d only trained for about a year, and definitely needed to train for at least two more years to be able to debut, but he wasn’t too sure he even wanted to continue training - his parents didn’t understand that this career needed time. His parents were the kind of people who wanted to see immediate results.
 
It was too much. Seokmin had become much more tired and stressed out recently (though of course, he’d do anything to pretend like everything was alright so as to not worry anyone too much). He could also tell that Chan was overworking in order to keep up his grades as well as improve his vocals and dancing.
 
“Looks like we need to work even harder,” Chan said sadly as they boarded the bus back to Apartment Block 17. Seokmin didn’t really care anymore at this point. He was too tired.
 
Chan went straight to bed as soon as they got back to their apartment. Seokmin figured that he probably didn’t want to talk about it either.
 
Deciding not to dwell on it any further, Seokmin washed up and changed before turning on his phone to distract himself.
 
Turns out, his phone was the perfect distraction. His notifications were flooded with more than 70 unread messages from ‘wonwoo trash squad’.
 
wonwoo trash squad >
Today 1:15 PM
 
kim meangyu
> GUYSUYUYSYSUYSUDYFUSDYFUSDYFSUDFYSUDF
> FUUKUKFCKCKCKKKKK
 
meanhao
> WHAT????
 
meanhui
> DID SOMEONE DIE
> oh wait this is the wonwoo chat
> DID WONWOO DIE?!
 
kim meangyu
> IM IN LOVE WITH WONWOO
 
meanhao
> oh is that all lol
> whats ur point
 
kim meangyu
> ...
> arent u guys surprised 
 
meanhui
> no...
> about time u admitted it lol
> minghao !!! we can finally go on those double dates u wanted
 
meanhao
> (ノ◕o◕)ノ*:・゚✧
 
kim meangyu
> GUYS SRSLY
> but what if i told you....
> i told wonwoo i love him to his face?!?!?!?!
 
meanhao
> didn’t think you had the balls to do it bro
> i’m proud of you
 
kim meangyu
> -_-
 
meanhui
> ok but what happened tho
 
meanhao
> i’m only curious as to how wonwoo reacted?!
 
kim meangyu
> i was so confused before and like when he kissed me i was even more confused but then i talked to seungcheol and got even MROE CONFUSED btut then i was trying to get a picture of wonwoo smiling and hE ACTUALLY SMILED AT ME LIKE PROPERLY AND GENUINELY  and my heart did this weird thing and then i KNW I KNEW
> THAT IT WAS LOVE and then without thinking i kind of just said ‘i think i love you’ and then
> hejust stared at me but he didnt even look shocked like it was his normal poker face then after a whil he was just like
> ‘okay’
> OKAY?!?!?!?! WTF DOES HE MEAN BY OKAY ?!?!?!?!?!?!
 
meanhao
> lmao mingyu calm down for a sec
> i cant read that fast
 
kim meangyu
> MINGHAO THIS IS NOT A TIME TO CALM DOWN
> I JUST CONFESSED TO MY ROOMMATE HELP ME
 
meanhui
> okay oik ok
> what did he do after he said okay?
 
kim meangyu
> okokok he said something like
> ‘i can’t really answer you right now. i’m sory’
> THEN ITS LIKE REALLY AWKWARDLY SILENT
> AND HE KINDA JUST GOES TO HIS BEDROOM i havent seen him since
> ??!??Q?Q??!!?!?
 
meanhui
> that piece of i s2g
 
meanhao
> jun pls. don’t talk about wonwoo like that
> even if he really is a piece of
 
meanhui
> -.-
> hes totally in love with u mingyu dont let him fool u
 
meanhao
> dont tell him that?!?! let wonwoo tell him... [a/n; in Chinese]
 
meanhui
> lol jk
> idk let wonwoo come to his senses
> he just needs to figure out his feels right now
 
kim meangyu
> ...
 
meanhui
> okoko but
> u better take care of him!!1 kim mingyu!!!!
> as his best friend i will personally neck you if you do anyting to hurt him
 
meanhao
> jun. mingyu’s your friend too...
 
kim meangyu
> YEAH?? ARENT I UR FRIEND TOO
> AND WHY WOULD I EVER HURT WONWOO I WOULDNT DO THAT
 
meanhui
> im sorry mingyu, but wonwoo will always be number 1
> well. number 1 friend.
> he’s number 2 person after minghao;)
 
meanhao
> iw as about to say ..
 
kim meangyu
> fine :(
> we’re not like... together tho
> but i’m not confused about my feelings anymore.
 
meanhao
> about time u figured out ur feelings !!?
> i feel like im watching a drama
> just already
 
meanhui
> uuM UMMMMMMMMM
 
meanhao
> ing get together*
> date
> i mean
> yeah
 
kim meangyu
> o_o
> well im gonna go make some ramen or something im hungry
 
meanhui
> yeah confessing ur love takes a lot of effort amirite
 
kim meangyu
> lol
 
Today 9:33 PM
 
me
> I GO AWAY FOR ONE DAY AND THIS HAPPENS ???
> JISOOS CHRIST
 
meanhao
> lolol look who finally joined the party
 
me
> congrats on the confession mingyu [thumbs up emoji]
 
kim meangyu
> thnx donkey
 
me
> give me the money tmr minghao
> and jun
 
meanhui
> i was hoping you’d forget :((
 
kim meangyu
> UM???
> DID YOU GUYS BET ON THIS
 
me
> yeah obviously lmao
> i said you’d confess first but junhao said wonwoo first lolol
 
meanhui
> i hoenstly thought wonwoo would break first fml
> now i owe seokmean 30000 won
> i was gonna buy a facemask with that money thanks a lot mingu
 
kim meangyu
> YOU’RE BLAMING ME????
 
meanhao
> yeah stuff u mingyu
 
kim meangyu
> i hate u guys
 
meanhui
> love u too, gyu<3
> (but not as much as wonwoo does)
 
me
> YOU BETTER INVITE US TO THE WEDDING
 
kim meangyu
> -_-
 
------------
 
Today 8:37 PM
 
me
> Wonwoo
> tell. me. everything.
 
meanwoo
> oh hello seokmin
> i watched your broadcast
> it was cute
 
me
> o thanks lolol
> ANYWAY
> SPILL THE BEANS
 
meanwoo
> ...
> you’re going to have to be more specific
 
me
> mingyu???
> obviously
 
meanwoo
> oh
> well, he said he’s in love with me
 
me
> AND?
 
meanwoo
> and what?
 
me
> DON’T YOU LOVE HIM BACK???
 
Today 10:55 PM
 
me
> JEON WONWOO
> JISOOS CHRIST ANSWER ME YOU DIP
> JUST GET TOGETHER ALREADY  IM SICK OF U GUYS PINING AFTER EACH OTHER LIKE IDIOTSSSSS
> sorry sorry. got a little bit passionate there
> BUT PLS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ACCEPT MINGYUS FEELINGS
 
(the next day) 2:15 AM
 
meanwoo
> I hate Mingyu.
 
(the next day) 7:13 AM
 
me
> ily wonwoo but
> what the flipping is wrong with you
 

[a/n]
 
based on a true story ;
 
 
 
also not that im wonwoo trash or anything but i got the idea for the smile thing  when i saw this picture >> 
 
 
oh btw i shld’ve mentioned earlier but if u guys have snapchat, add meee ;)
@wingyis -- for almost daily snaps about how much of a svt trashbag i am:)