daydreams and nightmares

Apartment Block 17

”Wait, so,” Minghao said in disbelief, “He said ‘I love you too’?”
 
It was 11PM and Mingyu had called Minghao, sounding rather jittery.
 
“Yeah,” Mingyu’s voice sounded hushed over the phone. He was probably trying not to wake Wonwoo. “What do I do?”
 
“You obviously can’t mention this to him,” Minghao said thoughtfully. “Then again, I’m pretty sure no one lies when they sleep talk.”
 
“But...” Mingyu said quietly, “Why didn’t he just tell me that in the first place? Why did he avoid giving me an answer?”
 
“This is Wonwoo we’re talking about, Mingyu,” Minghao said. “He’s quite a confusing person.”
 
Mingyu sighed. “So what do I do? Should I ask him about it?”
 
“No,” Minghao said immediately. “At least you know... he doesn’t hate you. Just give him time to tell you himself. And don’t do anything stupid in that time.”
 
“Thanks, Minghao,” Mingyu sighed in relief at having someone to talk to; Junhui and Seokmin had begun to give up on him.
 
“You owe me for my time,” Minghao said. Mingyu scoffed.
 
“But hey, I should probably warn you,” Minghao continued, “I think the reason why he won’t tell you how he feels is because he’s afraid you’ll get hurt.”
 
“Hurt?” Mingyu said with a questioning tone.
 
“He probably thinks he’s not good enough for you. And that if he ignores you, you’ll eventually get over him and find someone better,” Minghao said.
 
“But I’d never find someone better than him,” Mingyu said bluntly.
 
“He doesn’t believe that,” Minghao sighed. “He’s not that confident about himself. Well, he’s confident about his looks, but--”
 
“There’s no one I’d rather be with,” Mingyu said firmly.
 
“I know,” Minghao laughed. “My point is, he needs to accept himself before he can accept you.”
 
“Wow, Minghao. You really have sense,” Mingyu said in awe.
 
“I know I do,” Minghao grinned.
 
“I’ll... see how it goes then,” Mingyu said. “Thanks.”
 
“No problem. Talk to me anytime.” Minghao was about to hang up, but Mingyu continued speaking.
 
“Oh, and... Minghao?” Mingyu sounded hesitant. “Junhui’s been worried about you. I hope you’ll tell him whatever’s troubling you.”
 
Minghao frowned. “Nothing’s--”
 
“Don’t,” Mingyu interrupted sternly. “You can’t fool me, Minghao. And you’re not fooling Junhui either.”
 
Minghao pursed his lips. “Alright.”
 
-------------
 
[APARTMENT #607; Wen Junhui, Xu Minghao]
 
“Who’s Luhan?”
 
Minghao sighed and slipped further underneath the covers. He knew it would come up eventually. 
 
“How do you know his name?” Minghao asked quietly.
 
“I have my resources,” Junhui said.
 
Minghao wanted to talk to Junhui, but never managed to find the right moment or the courage to do so. But he figured it was now or never.
 
“I knew Luhan back in China. I dated him for... a short while,” Minghao began in a soft voice. Junhui shifted closer.
 
“He was a well liked boy in my high school, since he could sing, dance, and was incredibly good looking. He was like your typical drama lead.”
 
Junhui pursed his lips, but he couldn’t exactly disagree.
 
“His family was also really high class. There were rumours that he was going to marry one of the richest girls in my town.”
 
“Okay, this is really sounding like a drama,” Junhui admitted.
 
Minghao poked him. “Anyway, I wasn’t really that popular or anything. I was pretty low profile, and I liked it like that. I’d always been interested in Luhan, because honestly, everyone was; but I’d never taken my interest too seriously until one of my friends intervened.”
 
-------------
 
”Ooh, who’re you staring at?” Mei Qi teased. 
 
She was a girl who wasn’t exactly Minghao’s friend, yet they talked quite often as they were classmates. She seemed to understand Minghao better than most of his other ‘friends’ did.
 
It wasn’t like Minghao was a loner, but he didn’t have any friends he actually trusted. They were great for the company and the laughs in between classes, but he didn’t see them as people he’d remember if he left.
 
“No one,” Minghao said hastily, looking in a different direction. It was after school, and Minghao was still loitering around the classroom because his parents had insisted on picking him up that day.
 
Mei Qi looked out the window at the sports grounds, where Minghao was looking a minute ago. “Luhan, huh? You have good taste,” she smirked.
 
“I wasn’t staring at him,” Minghao rolled his eyes and pushed Mei Qi lightly.
 
“You know, you should try asking him out,” Mei Qi said. Minghao thought she was joking, but her eyes said that she was being dead serious.
 
“Yeah right,” Minghao laughed nervously. “As if I’d stand a chance.”
 
Mei Qi stared him in the eye. “Ask him first thing next Monday.”
 
“Why Monday?” Minghao asked.
 
Mei Qi shook her head, as if she couldn’t believe how ignorant Minghao was. “He’ll accept your confession. I guarantee.”
 
Minghao didn’t really believe her, and so the rest of the week passed by in a blur.
 
It was Monday morning, and Minghao had nearly forgotten about Mei Qi’s advice until he saw Luhan standing alone at the school gates.
 
Minghao normally went to school quite early, since his parents would offer to drop him off before they went to work. Minghao did see Luhan before school sometimes, but this was one of the rare times he had seen him alone.
 
He decided it was worth a shot.
 
“Luhan,” Minghao approached nervously. His heartbeat picked up when Luhan turned to him, a cute smile gracing his features.
 
“I-I like you,” Minghao said. He didn’t really mean it too seriously, since it was just a minor crush, but Luhan seemed to take him seriously, though he looked quite baffled at first.
 
“You’re Minghao, aren’t you?” Luhan gave him a kind smile, and Minghao felt himself falling deeper.
 
“Yeah,” Minghao stuttered.
 
“Wanna catch a movie sometime?” Luhan asked gently.
 
“Sure,” Minghao smiled. 
 
Looks like Mei Qi was right.
 
-------------
 
“Wait, so he just accepted your confession like that?” Junhui said in confusion.
 
“Yeah. Even I was confused, since what Mei Qi said was correct,” Minghao admitted. 
 
“So... you started dating?” Junhui said, rather uneasily.
 
Minghao took his hand under the blanket and squeezed it to reassure him. “Yeah. For about a week.”
 
“A week?” Junhui sat up. “You only dated him for a week?”
 
“Yeah,” Minghao laughed blankly, “He... said some things. I’d rather not tell you what.”
 
“Did that make you dump him?”
 
“Technically, he dumped me,” Minghao said coldly. 
 
-------------
 
”Luhan!” Minghao called happily, jogging to meet with the boy as he exited the school.
 
“Oh, Minghao,” Luhan said, with a blank tone. He didn’t look that happy to see Minghao.
 
“What’s wrong?” Minghao tried to take his hand, but Luhan put it in his pocket.
 
“Nothing. Are you following me?” Luhan asked suspiciously.
 
“Yeah,” Minghao said, furrowing his eyebrows. “Wanna go on a date?”
 
“No,” Luhan replied bluntly.
 
Minghao backed away abruptly. “Luhan, what’s wrong.”
 
Luhan looked at him, confused. “Your seven days are up, Minghao,” he said coldly.
 
“What?” Minghao didn’t understand.
 
“What don’t you understand?” Luhan sighed and stopped by a vending machine to buy a drink. Minghao realised he wasn’t even going in the right direction, since he had followed Luhan this far.
 
“What do you mean, ‘my seven days are up’?” Minghao asked.
 
“Your seven days. I dated you for seven days,” Luhan said monotonously. “You’re not my girl-- I mean, boyfriend anymore. You’ve had your week.”
 
“What, you only date people for seven days?” Minghao demanded angrily. Luhan wasn’t making any sense.
 
“Yeah,” was all Luhan said in reply.
 
“So, all that--”
 
“Minghao, were you not aware of this?” Luhan asked incredulously.
 
“Well then, please do explain,” Minghao said, exasperated.
 
“First person who asks me out at the start of each week will be my partner for seven days. I make them happy, they make me happy, and we go our separate ways at the end of the time period,” Luhan said, sipping on a coffee he had just bought.
 
“So... are you some sort of dating service? A rental boyfriend?” Minghao asked quietly.
 
“I guess,” Luhan pursed his lips. “To be honest, you were pretty fun to be with. I thought you were joking, though. I assumed you knew about the conditions of dating me.”
 
“Why would I joke about my feelings?” Minghao felt hot tears in his eyes.
 
“Because of the nature of our relationship,” Luhan leaned closer. “But Minghao, did you really believe that I’d actually date a guy?” 
 
-------------
 
“Wait, he was pretending the whole time?” Junhui furrowed his eyebrows.
 
“Yeah,” Minghao’s voice cracked. “I believed him. I was young and stupid.”
 
“We’ve all been through the young and stupid phase,” Junhui gathered Minghao in a tight hug under the blankets. “What Luhan did was pretty ed up. Why would anyone want to date him?”
 
“Because he made you feel good,” Minghao said simply. “People needed some love, but they didn’t want the commitment that came attached. I guess that was Luhan’s appeal.”
 
“But how did you not know about this? Surely you would’ve heard about what a playboy he was?” Junhui asked.
 
“I wasn’t exactly in the loop,” Minghao laughed. “I didn’t care about gossip. That was it.”
 
Junhui ruffled his hair. “You’re an idiot.”
 
“But I’m your idiot,” Minghao smirked, using Junhui’s words from earlier that night.
 
Junhui frowned and slapped his leg.
 
“Thanks for telling me,” Junhui said quietly, “Is it okay if I ask something else?”
 
“Of course. I’m sorry for not telling you sooner, it’s just...” Minghao faltered.
 
“You don’t like talking about it?” Junhui said softly. Minghao nodded. “I’m sorry for pushing you, but you worried me so much.”
 
“Sorry,” Minghao snuggled closer to Junhui, resting his head on the other’s chest. “What do you want to know?”
 
“Why do you look so incredibly pained whenever you see him?” Junhui asked carefully.
 
“His words just really got to me. I’ll never forgive him for what he said that day. They had a massive impact on my life back then,” Minghao sighed, “I knew that I tended to prefer guys over girls at that point, and I’d accepted that, but just barely. His words damaged me beyond repair. But I’ve gotten over that now,” he added hurriedly.
 
Junhui now understood some of his confusions that had arisen during the beginning of their relationship.
 
When Minghao met Junhui, he was brand new to Korea and wasn’t too confident in Korean. Junhui was living alone in Apartment Block 17, but after meeting Minghao, he knew he would never find anyone as perfect as him.
 
At first, Minghao was very hesitant. He seemed to have trust issues, and Junhui thought it was because he was in an unfamiliar environment. But after a while, Minghao seemed to calm down and their relationship had been perfect ever since.
 
But Junhui guessed that those trust issues were because of whatever Luhan did to him.
 
“Are you still insecure about some things?” Junhui asked quietly, Minghao’s back.
 
“Yeah,” Minghao said in a small voice. “Luhan bothers me. The sight of him bothers me. It reminds me of everything he said and all the pain I felt because of him.”
 
Junhui didn’t know how to help, so he just listened. His heart broke a little at how fragile Minghao’s voice sounded when he was talking.
 
“It’s because of Luhan that I get jealous if you’re around girls or anyone remotely attractive who’s not a friend,” Minghao continued, voice rising. “I hate seeing you around girls. All because Luhan told me that guys aren’t supposed to like guys. And I know that’s not true, because I’m really ing in love with you, but I still have dreams that you’re going to leave me for a girl and--”
 
Junhui tilted his head downwards and kissed Minghao harshly. That seemed to do the trick.
 
“Forget about him,” Junhui rested his forehead against Minghao’s. 
 
Minghao smiled, catching Junhui’s lips again, craving the feel of them against his own. 
 
“But at the same time,” Junhui pulled apart for a moment reluctantly. “I think you should at least talk to him about it.”
 
“I never want to talk to that homophobic ever again,” Minghao replied angrily.
 
Junhui pressed his lips into a thin line. “He may act like an , but I feel like there’s more under the surface. I just think you two should talk about what happened and find some closure in your relationship.”
 
Minghao sighed. “I guess.”
 
-------------
 
[PLEDIS PERFORMING ARTS HIGH SCHOOL]
 
“Remember to study hard for your upcoming tests,” their chemistry teacher said as the students all grabbed their bags and left the classroom for club activities.
 
“Hey, Chan,” Chaeyoung called out before Chan could leave the classroom.
 
“Oh, hey Chaeyoung!” Chan greeted with a smile.
 
“Did you understand chapter 8?” Chaeyoung asked, fidgeting with her books.
 
“On neutralisation reactions?” Chan clarified. Chaeyoung nodded.
 
“Not a clue,” he said sheepishly. “I kind of get them, but I can’t explain them in detail, yet alone write out examples.”
 
“Oh, okay,” Chaeyoung said. “We’re both screwed then.”
 
Chan wasn’t the best at chemistry, but he was well above average, so he didn’t feel like he needed to focus on it. He was just barely passing maths though, so that was where he concentrated all his efforts.
 
“Could you finish set 13A from the maths book?” Chan asked. They walked out into the hallway. 
 
“I could do some of it,” Chaeyoung said thoughtfully. “But I got stuck on question 10.”
 
“Same,” Chan sighed, “My friend said that they’re going to put a similar one in the test.”
 
“Damn,” Chaeyoung sighed. “It’s really hard to find time for studying when I have training and all that.”
 
“Same,” Chan sympathised. “How’s JYP?”
 
“It’s great,” Chaeyoung smiled, “But extremely rough. I’m doing okay, though.”
 
“That’s good to hear,” Chan said as they reached the stairs.
 
Chan wasn’t part of any clubs as he had no time, but he was pretty sure that Chaeyoung had recently joined choir, which was on that afternoon. She had said it was for extra vocal practice outside of her usual training at JYP Entertainment; Chan admired how she was able to fit in so many extracurriculars even with the schedule of a trainee.
 
“See you tomorrow,” she smiled.
 
Just as Chan was about to part ways with Chaeyoung, he saw Seungkwan walking down the hallway.
 
“Seungkwan!” Chan called out, waving. Seungkwan smiled, but hesitated a little when he saw Chaeyoung.
 
“Hey, Chan,” Seungkwan nodded. “Chaeyoung,” he bowed his head a little.
 
“Seungkwan! Are you going to choir today?” Chaeyoung asked.
 
“Yeah,” Seungkwan said quietly.
 
“Cool. You haven’t shown up in a while! Everyone’s missed you,” Chaeyoung smiled. “See you around, Chan.”
 
Chan smiled and waved goodbye to both of them as they walked to the choir room.
 
He trudged home and dumped his bag on his table. He finally was able to study when previously, he had to go to training straight after school. Pledis trainees had a week break over the New Year, but Chan still had to study, so he couldn’t exactly relax like he wanted to. 
 
He called Jisoo and asked if he was free, and he was, so Chan ate some bread before heading down to Jisoo’s apartment.
 
They spent the next six hours on the most recent chapters of his textbook. Jisoo had been stumped on some of the most important questions, and Chan felt bad for him.
 
“Sorry, I don’t remember learning any of this,” Jisoo said, clutching his head. “They’ve changed the curriculum since I was in high school.”
 
“It’s okay. None of my friends get it either,” Chan said reassuringly.
 
“I’ll try study it up,” Jisoo said. “I’m sure it’s not that difficult.”
 
“You don’t have to,” Chan insisted. “Let’s just focus on what we can do.”
 
“Alright, but I’ll still look into it for you,” Jisoo said.
 
“Thanks,” Chan said gratefully.
 
“Jisoo, I’m home~” Jeonghan’s voice sounded from the front door. He probably forgot his keys again.
 
Jisoo sighed and opened the door for him. Jeonghan was carrying several bags of groceries.
 
“Oh, Chan’s here!” he said happily when he noticed the younger sitting at their table.
 
“He’s working, so don’t disturb him,” Jisoo turned Jeonghan away and pushed him to the kitchen. “Be nice.”
 
“I am nice,” Jeonghan grinned.
 
“Hey, Jisoo,” Chan called from the table. “I think I can handle the rest, so I’ll head home for the night.”
 
Jisoo hit Jeonghan’s chest. “You scared him away.”
 
Jeonghan made a noise of shock. “No way. Chan, who’s baby are you~?”
 
“Just because I said it once doesn’t mean I’m saying it again,” Chan protested. He addressed Jisoo. “It’s not Jeonghan’s fault, I’m just tired. Thanks for all your help, hyung,” he packed up his things hastily, “I’ll see you around.”
 
“Don’t push yourself too hard, okay?” Jisoo said worriedly. Chan wasn’t in high spirits recently; the stress was clearly getting to him. “I’ll study up the stuff we didn’t understand so I can help you later, alright? Don’t stress.”
 
“Good luck,” Jeonghan added.
 
Chan gave them a small smile. “Thanks. I really appreciate it.”
 
-------------
 
[APARTMENT #211; Lee Seokmin, Lee Chan]
 
Seokmin was dead to the world when Chan returned back to their apartment. Chan didn’t blame him; as much as he himself wanted to black out and forget everything, he really had to work harder.
 
He forced himself to put his vocal and dance practice on hold in favour of school. He hated that he needed to put the most effort in the things he disliked the most, while being forced to neglect the things he liked the most.
 
His parents had called a few days ago to wish both Seokmin and Chan a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. They were both really busy with their jobs, so Chan figured they probably wouldn’t bother calling on New Year’s Day. 
 
They weren’t happy with his school results. His other subjects were decent, but not that outstanding, but his maths was ‘not what we expect of our son’. 
 
Seokmin, on the other hand, was doing quite alright. He had a better grip on the balance between study and training. Chan wasn’t sure how he managed it so well.
 
But the both of them weren’t among the top ranks in their agency. It was still a feat on its own that they were already trainees, when most didn’t even make it past the audition. But coming from a high profile family, their parents had great expectations for their two sons.
 
Chan loved training; though he could tell that his brother was beginning to lose hope. It’d only been a year, but they both knew that their parents would move them back to Yongin-si sooner or later so they could continue studying to be a lawyer like everyone else in the family.
 
They both loved living in Seoul, though. They got to live independent lives and do whatever they wanted. It was freedom that neither had ever tasted when they lived with their parents.
 
Chan peeked into Seokmin’s room, the light from the hallway dimly lighting up the outline of the furniture. 
 
As usual, there were tangerine peels strewn all over Seokmin’s bed. Seungkwan had visited two days ago with a box of Jeju tangerines, which his father had sent to share with his friends. 
 
Seokmin often ate in his bed while watching movies on his laptop, and he hardly ever cleaned up; he insisted that leaving tangerine peels next to your pillow was ‘good for you’ and that it ‘acts like a humidifier’. 
 
Chan shuddered and was about to close the door, but Seokmin said something in a loud, sleepy voice.
 
“Ah, yes. I’d like to order,” Seokmin mumbled. “One jjajangmyeon, and--” he stopped speaking and snored softly.
 
Chan laughed and closed the door. His brother sleeptalked quite often, but this was the first time Chan had heard him attempting to order food in his sleep.
 
He made a mental note to order jjajangmyeon for lunch the next day.
 
-------------
 
[APARTMENT #811; Lee Jihoon, Kwon Soonyoung]
 
“Hey Hosh, did you get the brief for the showcase yet?” Jihoon asked, having just reached home from his last class. Pledis University had a showcase for its music and dance students every year, and everyone was expected to perform something, in units of their choice, as it counted towards their overall grade.
 
“Yeah, we got it today,” Soonyoung said from where he was, slumped on the couch with his legs spread out in an odd position only he could pull off comfortably.
 
“Have you thought about your performance?” Jihoon asked. The two of them would’ve been expected to collaborate with each other, but both were far too competitive to want to be in the same unit. They did a joint performance last year, and received much attention for it, but this year they both agreed to try something different for a change. Units could be made up of other students, friends or any willing participants (though only the students would be assessed).
 
“I’ve got nothing,” Soonyoung sighed. “But you know how Mr. Yoo loves me?”
 
“Of course,” Jihoon rolled his eyes.
 
“He said he’s gonna ask Pledis Entertainment if I can collaborate with one of their trainees,” Soonyoung said excitedly.
 
“Oh, really? There’s lots of Pledis Entertainment trainees in this uni,” Jihoon raised an eyebrow. “Any idea who they’ll partner you with?”
 
“These performances are always really last minute, anyway,” Soonyoung sighed. The showcase was honestly just like any other assignment for Pledis students; most left planning to the week before the performance. “They asked me if I had a preference, and I said anything’s fine. So they might only partner me up a week before and I’ll probably have choreographed a solo routine by then.”
 
“Would you rather go solo than perform in a unit?” Jihoon asked.
 
“I’d like to do a unit, to be honest. Solo can be a bit boring. Mr. Yoo says he wants me to try a contemporary dance with a female trainee, though.”
 
Jihoon scoffed. “You, dancing with a girl? Never thought I’d see that in my life,” he smirked.
 
“Well, I did say that anything’s fine,” Soonyoung laughed. “It’ll be a new experience then. What about your performance?”
 
“I’m probably gonna ask Cheol and Hansol to perform with me,” Jihoon said thoughtfully. “There’s a song I’ve been writing for a while and I think it’ll be cool to perform.”
 
“Oh, which one?” Soonyoung asked curiously.
 
“It’s called ‘Q&A’,” Jihoon said, “But the problem is, the chorus is best suited for a female voice.”
 
“I’m sure you’ll find someone,” Soonyoung said.
 
“It’s just an idea,” Jihoon waved him off. “I’ll probably end up performing ‘SIMPLE’.”
 
“Whatever it is, you’ll do well,” Soonyoung smiled. “I’m expecting a lot from you, so don’t you dare slack off.”
 
Jihoon laughed. “Only if you don’t either.”
 
-------------
 
”Thank you, thank you,” Jihoon smiled and waved at the crowd. 
 
“Congratulations, Seventeen! Would you like to say something to your fans?” the MC handed Jihoon a microphone.
 
Jihoon struggled to carry the bouquet given to him by the other MC, as he thought of how to thank his fans.
 
“Carat, I love you!” he smiled and waved at the camera. The screams from the audience were deafening.
 
Jihoon wasn’t sure when he fell asleep, but he was only vaguely aware that he was dreaming. 
 
“What kind of fanclub is called ‘Carat’?” Jihoon muttered in his sleep.
 
Soonyoung, who was next to him on the couch, started laughing.
 
”World Number 1 K-pop Chart Show, M-Countdown!” the MCs said in unison. “Thank you for watching, see you next time!”
 
The sound system began blasting a funky tune Jihoon wasn’t too familiar with. It sounded like something he’d begun writing but never finished because it was too difficult.
 
Jihoon realised he was surrounded by many others; he thought they were idols at first, but looking around, he realised they were his friends and people he’d met recently.
 
“Carats, thank you so much!” Seungcheol smiled and waved at the crowd. 
 
Soonyoung was there, too. He was jumping up and down excitedly and waving at the crowd with the happiest smile Jihoon had ever seen. 
 
One of SHINee’s members was there too, and Soonyoung was beside himself with excitement. 
 
Jihoon was aware that he was dreaming, yet it felt so normal, as if he was used to being in the situation.
 
He stood staring at the crowd, spotting many people holding up signs saying ‘Woozi’. He winked at them and they screamed.
 
Suddenly, Mingyu appeared, grabbed Jihoon by the hand and dragged him to the centre of the stage. All his friends begun planting kisses on his head; the last being Soonyoung.
 
Jihoon flinched in embarrassment. It tickled.
 
The soundtrack ended and Jihoon followed his friends off the stage. It was surreal; Seungkwan, Hansol, Wonwoo, Jisoo, Jeonghan... They were all there, and they looked so professional and good-looking.
 
“Seventeen, fighting!” Seungcheol hollered, and all the other boys shouted in unison.
 
Jihoon wasn’t sure if that meant there were seventeen of them in the band, because he wasn’t even sure he knew seventeen people in real life to fulfil the spots of his dream band. 
 
He didn’t get a chance to recognise everyone around him as they all filed into the dressing room.
 
“Jihoonie,” Soonyoung called from behind. It was just the two of them left out in the hallway.
 
“I can’t believe we won,” he gave Jihoon a smile that lighted up even the darkest corners of his heart.
 
“Yeah,” Jihoon laughed. They stared at each other awkwardly, the silence between them unbearable.
 
“Hey--”
 
“Hey--”
 
Jihoon and Soonyoung spoke simultaneously. Both looked away in embarrassment immediately. 
 
“You go first,” Soonyoung said softly, his eyes trained on his shoe and his other foot tracing the ground.
 
“Um, I just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work,” Jihoon said shyly.
 
Soonyoung’s embarrassed expression immediately disappeared and was replaced with a mischievous one. “Jihoonie, I wish you’d be this polite all the time,” he laughed.
 
“Shut up,” Jihoon sighed. “I mean it. I’m really thankful... and... I love you.”
 
Before his brain registered what his body was doing, it was already too late because he was kissing (a very surprised) Soonyoung.
 
-------------
 
Soonyoung was watching an anime Jisoo had recommended; some story about boys who ice skate; with Jihoon resting his head on his shoulder.
 
This happened quite often; Jihoon would nod off whenever he sat on the couch without realising it, waking up a few hours later with no bearing of what time or year it was.
 
It was these kind of moments Soonyoung appreciated the most. Jihoon looked so vulnerable and peaceful, unlike his sturdy and reliable self when he was awake (which Soonyoung still liked, of course). 
 
In these moments, Jihoon looked like a young child, and Soonyoung really just wanted to protect him; though Jihoon was his own kind of tough that Soonyoung could never see anyone matching up to.
 
Jihoon stirred slightly, head nearly slipping off Soonyoung’s shoulder. Soonyoung caught him and pushed him back into the couch.
 
He tore his attention off his roommate and continued watching the anime. He nearly choked because the two male characters on screen just kissed.
 
“I knew they loved each other,” Soonyoung nearly screamed at the screen. He sat up a bit, causing Jihoon’s head to fall off his shoulder and onto his lap.
 
“Oh, sorry Jihoonie,” Soonyoung whispered, as Jihoon groaned and readjusted his position, using Soonyoung’s lap as a pillow.
 
It wasn’t uncomfortable.
 
Jihoon’s face was now facing the ceiling, the back of his head resting on Soonyoung’s thigh. He suddenly reached his arms upwards and nearly hit Soonyoung in the face.
 
Soonyoung looked at his roommate in confusion. Jihoon’s arms fell back to his sides and he started pouting as if he was kissing the air, his expression an unauthorised level of precious.
 
Soonyoung couldn’t help himself; he started laughing at Jihoon’s hilarious expression. The laughter shook his body, and as a result, woke Jihoon.
 
“Jihoonie--” Soonyoung gasped between laughs, “You’re so cute I could kiss you right now.”
 
Jihoon blearily opened his eyes and his sight seemed to take a while to focus. A few seconds of Soonyoung laughing passed before Jihoon realised he had fallen asleep on his roommate’s lap and thus shook his head hastily.
 
“I had the weirdest dream,” Jihoon groaned as he sat up. “You and I... all of our friends... we were in a boy group.”
 
“Seriously?” Soonyoung arched his eyebrows. “Hmm, I think it’d be cool to be in a boy group. Was I the leader?” he asked cheekily.
 
“I don’t think so,” Jihoon couldn’t really remember anymore. “I think Seungcheol was.”
 
“Damn,” Soonyoung pouted. “I think I’d be better than Seungcheol, don’t you think?”
 
“You’d both be horrible,” Jihoon rolled his eyes. “We won first place on a music show or something. It was pretty cool.”
 
“Now that’s a dream,” Soonyoung said, impressed. “Did we have a name?”
 
“The MCs said ‘congratulations Seventeen’,” Jihoon said. “So I think we were called Seventeen.”
 
“Seventeen? So we had seventeen members?” Soonyoung sounded horrified. “I don’t think I could handle being in such a big boy group. You have really weird dreams, Jihoonie.”
 
“Tell me about it,” Jihoon sighed.
 
Soonyoung realised the episode of the anime had ended, so he rewinded a bit while Jihoon grabbed a pillow from the couch and trudged to his bedroom, still not comprehending that he had probably just embarrassed himself in front of his roommate.
 
This kind of thing happened too often for Jihoon to dwell on it for long.
 
He checked his phone before he went back to sleep; because once he did, he surely wouldn’t be waking up until the next day.
 
As usual, he had a couple of unread messages from one of the many group chats Soonyoung had added him into. This time, it was the group chat with Jisoo and Jeonghan.
 
no chill trash team 2.0 >
Today 6:03 PM
 
jisoo.
> hey can anyone help me with this question
> jisoo. sent a photo.
 
jeonghan.
> cant do math lol
 
hoshi.
> ew no please 
> i left that behind when i graduated
 
jisoo.
> does jihoon know?
 
hoshi.
> he’s asleep~
 
jeonghan.
> when isnt he asleep lol
 
jisoo.
> ahahaha
> do u know anyone who could help?? because chan needs help with these kinds of q’s
 
hoshi.
> ummmm minghao’s pretty smart u could ask him???
> maybe jun too 
 
jisoo.
> i’ll try lol
 
hoshi.
> good luck josh<3
 
jisoo.
> thanks hosh<3
 
jeonghan.
> i’m right here you know
 
jisoo.
> yeah i know:)
 
Today 6:17 PM
 
jisoo.
> ming and jun havent replied yet ://
 
jeonghan.
> theyre probably making out or somethign
 
hoshi.
> *covers eyes*
 
jisoo.
> i need to go cleanse myself brb
 
Today 8:57 PM
 
me
> the answer’s 43.
> You sent a photo.
> goodnight.
 
jisoo.
> oh my
> thanks jihoon!!
> why dont u just tutor
 
me
> too tiring
 
jisoo.
> lol true
> thanks anyway
> night:)
 
-------------
 
[APARTMENT #104; Yoon Jeonghan, Hong Jisoo]
 
Jisoo yawned and desperately tried to shake himself awake. He had spent hours reading up and revising anything he could to help Chan out. 
 
He couldn’t sleep just yet; he still couldn’t finish the chapter on differential calculus. Chan needed help mostly on that, so Jisoo wanted to help him out before his next batch of exams; not to mention that Jisoo himself had assignments due in a week that he hadn’t started yet.
 
He couldn’t concentrate with his vision swimming in and out of consciousness, and he knew he was dangerously close to blacking out due to exhaustion. 
 
What did a moment like this call for?
 
“Coffee,” Jisoo mumbled, standing up and trudging to the kitchen blindly. 
 
He felt around for the light switch and squinted once the bright LED light hit his eyes. He stumbled over to the coffee machine and saw that there was a plate of cookies and a note next to it.
 
I made you some cookies, since you’ve been studying all night and probably haven’t eaten. Don’t worry, they’re not poisoned; Mingyu gave me the recipe [kekeke] Please don’t overwork yourself. Remember that you have your angel right here~ -Jeonghan
 
Jisoo smiled as he read the note blearily. He really needed coffee, but he ate a few of the cookies first. White chocolate and macadamia. How did he know I loved these?
 
He opened the cupboard and nearly beheaded himself when a pot came flying out. He caught it swiftly and was immediately shaken awake temporarily because of the near-death experience.
 
He made a mental note to tell Jeonghan to stop stuffing random things into high cupboards.
 
“Coffee... coffee... no coffee,” Jisoo muttered. The container was empty.
 
He sighed and grabbed his keys and wallet from the counter. He decided go all the way to the 24-hour mart across the road to go get a hot coffee; he’d gotten that desperate, and they needed more instant coffee anyway.
 
He grabbed more cookies to eat on the way and headed out, yawning once again.
 
It was way past midnight and the streets were quite quiet. As quiet as downtown Seoul could get, at least. 
 
Jisoo spotted the bright sign for the 24-hour mart across the road as he exited into the cold night air. He wished he’d worn a thicker coat; it was snowing lightly and the wind was rather chilly. He shivered and hurried across the road. 
 
Jisoo was so focused on reaching the door to the 24-hour mart that he forgot to look where he was going.
 
-------------
 
“Wha?” Jeonghan rolled over in his bed groggily and slammed on the light. Jisoo wasn’t in bed,  and frantic knocking on the door had woken him up.
 
Slightly terrified that someone was banging on his door at 3AM, he looked through the peephole. It was Seungcheol, looking rather distressed.
 
“What’s wrong?” Jeonghan opened the door with a yawn.
 
“Why is Jisoo downstairs and close to death on the road instead of in bed with you?” Seungcheol asked, breathing heavily.
 
“What?” Jeonghan rubbed his eyes, trying to clear the sleep from them. “Jisoo was just reading--”
 
“Jeonghan,” Seungcheol grabbed him by the shoulders firmly, shaking him awake. “Call an ambulance.”
 

a/n;
THIS IS A FLUFF FIC I SWEAR
it will be a happy thing later oKAYY
ILY JISOO<3
 
HOPE EVERYONE HAD A GOOD 2016 HAHA
CHEERS TO A GREAT 2017!! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONEEE
BC
TWENTY SEVENTEEN
ITS GONNA BE LIT I KNOW IT
 
and what better way to start 2017 with the highlight choreo video
haha
definitely the highlight of my 2017 so far
ha 
...
 
the amount of rudeness in that video is unacceptable. 
 
---talk to me on snapchat-- @wingyis :D