back to school

Apartment Block 17
[APARTMENT #104; Yoon Jeonghan, Hong Jisoo]
 
“Jeonghan, I can’t believe this!” Jisoo gasped.
 
“You better believe it. I had to save up for over a year for this,” Jeonghan smiled angelically. 
 
Jisoo was sitting at a table decorated by creeping vines and blooming flowers, the joyous sound of nature blessing his ears as he stared across in an abundance of wonder at the love of his life; Yoon Jeonghan, who had never looked more angelic, sitting across from Jisoo wearing a pure white, angel-like robe and a halo of light crowning his deep, silky auburn hair. It wasn’t even an exaggeration. At least not in Jisoo’s eyes.
 
On the table in front of Jisoo was an ornate velvet box with the most gorgeous, expensive-looking diamond ring he’d ever seen in his life. And his name was on the box.
 
Jeonghan reached over and carefully pulled the ring out from the box and kneeled in front of Jisoo with a look of pure adoration gracing his delicate features. The sky above them cleared, the sun shone down onto them and a choir of birds sang melodically in the background. It was perfect, and Jisoo didn’t know whether to cry or laugh in happiness.
 
Jeonghan took a deep breath and held the ring out in Jisoo’s direction. “Hong Jisoo... will you...  beep?”
 
“What?” Jisoo was taken aback.
 
“Will you beep?”
 
Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.
 
“Jisoo, will you wake up already?” 
 
Jisoo felt a rough hold on his arm pull him upwards. He blinked in confusion, rubbing his eyes. Jeonghan sat in front of him on their bed. But he was just normal old Jeonghan; paint-stained shirt and boxers, frizzy auburn hair sticking up in clumps; yet, he still managed to look like an angel.
 
“I-I’m awake,” Jisoo muttered, his voice croaky. He immediately felt disappointment that Jeonghan’s movie-like proposal was only a dream.
 
“You must’ve had a good dream,” Jeonghan smirked.
 
“How d-do you know that?”
 
“You kept clinging onto me in your sleep. You were mumbling stuff like ‘oh yes’ and you said my name over and over,” Jeonghan grinned.
 
“It was nothing like what you’re thinking about, you devil,” Jisoo flung a pillow at him, and Jeonghan caught it easily.
 
“Was it not?” Jeonghan pouted, resulting in another pillow-to-the-face from Jisoo.
 
They eventually dragged themselves out of bed, following Jeonghan’s incessant alarm which he had simply snoozed earlier, and trudged to the bathroom to get ready.
 
Today was everyone’s favourite part of the year - the beginning of school. Back were the ‘BTS’ sales that persuaded you to buy an entire new set of unnecessary stationery, as well as the sound of multiple alarms threatening to wake up the whole block if you didn’t wake from your much needed slumber. Back were the snobbish teachers, pointless rumours, stacks of homework; all the good stuff. 
 
Jisoo squinted into the mirror and was met with his very rugged-looking self. He brushed his teeth whilst trying to wake his body up properly.
 
Ding Dong. Jisoo groaned internally. Yet another interruption.
 
Seeing as Jeonghan wasn’t going to budge from where he was carefully brushing his long hair in front of the mirror, Jisoo spat out his toothpaste and went to answer the door.
 
“Oh, hey Chan,” Jisoo greeted, opening the door to the smiling teenage boy.
 
“I realised that I left some of my books here yesterday,” Chan said sheepishly.
 
“Oh, yeah I have them here.” Jisoo went to retrieve Chan’s forgotten books. When he returned to hand them back to the boy, another one had showed up at his doorstep; a slightly taller boy of a similar energetic aura to Chan.
 
“Hello! I’m Seokmin. Chan’s brother,” the boy said with a blinding smile that made his eyes disappear into his face. Jisoo couldn’t help but feel awake in his presence.
 
“Oh, nice to meet you! Chan’s mentioned you before. As you know, I’m Jisoo,” Jisoo said, clearing his throat slightly to get rid of his morning voice (which Jeonghan insists is the best thing since sliced bread).
 
“Thanks so much for helping him,” Seokmin said gratefully. “I can’t do maths for my life, so I’m glad someone was able to help him out.”
 
“Well, you are paying me,” Jisoo said jokingly. “Anyway, I’m also helping out another boy with his work as well. It makes me realise how much high school maths I’ve forgotten.”
 
“I’ve only just graduated and I’ve already forgotten everything,” Seokmin admitted.
 
“It’s a wonder you passed your finals,” Chan muttered. Seokmin slapped his shoulder lightly.
 
“Anyway, you go to Pledis right?” Seokmin said to Jisoo. “Let’s go together, hyung!”
 
“Sure, I just need to tell my roommate,” he said as he turned to the general direction of his bedroom, “Jeonghan! I’m going now!”
 
“Wait, Jeonghan?” Seokmin perked up.
 
The boy in question poked his head out into the front hallway, hair no longer wild but much more tamed after brushing, and a quizzical look on his face.
 
“Jeonghan!” Seokmin grinned and burst into the apartment to hug him.
 
Jisoo looked slightly confused.
 
“I never knew you were Jeonghan’s boyfriend!” Seokmin exclaimed to Jisoo. “He’s mentioned a boyfriend quite a lot, but he never told me a name.”
 
“I’ve done his makeup quite a lot over at Pledis Entertainment,” Jeonghan explained to Jisoo.
 
“Oh,” Jisoo nodded. 
 
“Chan’s here as well!” Jeonghan exclaimed and went to greet the young boy, who looked slightly taken aback that his brother knew Jeonghan so well.
 
“Seokmin, you know Jeonghan?” Chan asked in confusion.
 
“Yeah? How do you know him?” Seokmin replied in equal confusion.
 
“He’s Jisoo’s roommate,” Chan said in an obvious tone.
 
“Huh, small world isn’t it,” Seokmin said to himself.
 
“Apparently they’re brothers,” Jisoo told Jeonghan.
 
“Wait, you’re Chan’s brother?!” Jeonghan exclaimed. Seokmin nodded.
 
Jisoo checked his watch. “Hey, I’ve got my first class in half an hour. Gotta blast,” he said, heading out the door. “You guys coming? Jeonghan’s got this art showcase thing so he’s got no classes.”
 
The brothers said goodbye to Jeonghan and left with Jisoo to go to their respective schools.
 
Jeonghan, left alone in the apartment, went back to the bathroom to brush his hair again.
 
Just as he was about to change into a new pair of pants, after realising that the ones he was wearing were horribly tight, there was a loud, panicked knocking at the door.
 
“Did Jisoo forget something again?” Jeonghan wondered to himself as he opened the door in his boxers.
 
It was Seungcheol. And he looked like he’d just walked through a tornado to get to Jeonghan’s apartment.
 
“Jeonghan,” Seungcheol panted, not seeming to care that the boy wasn’t wearing pants, “Thank God you’re here. I need help.”
 
“I think you need a shower first,” Jeonghan said, standing to the side to let Seungcheol enter the apartment.
 
“I don’t have time,” Seungcheol said hurriedly. Jeonghan raised an eyebrow. “So like, I think I have my first sasaeng fan.”
 
Jeonghan laughed. “Seriously?”
 
“I’m serious, Jeonghan! This girl’s been stalking me for a couple days now,” Seungcheol said irritably, “And this morning, I was going down to check some stuff and she ing pounced on me like some rabid animal as I got into the elevator.”
 
“And that’s why you look like a train wreck?”
 
“Normally, I wouldn’t care that much. But my dad kindly volunteered me to do some opening speech at Pledis Uni in half an hour.”
 
“So you want me to fix you up before then?” Jeonghan narrowed his eyes.
 
Seungcheol grabbed Jeonghan’s shoulders and shook him vigorously. “I’m begging you. I can’t go up in front of a bunch of freshmen looking like this.”
 
“Sure. But we only have,” Jeonghan checked his watch, “ten minutes, since I have to go at 9. Let’s see what we can do.”
 
--------------
 
[APARTMENT #417; Jeon Wonwoo, Kim Mingyu]
 
“I swear this makes me look like a marshmallow,” Wonwoo groaned, stepping out of the bathroom wearing an oversized beige jumper. Mingyu had given it to Wonwoo that morning, insisting that it was a ‘belated birthday present’. 
 
“Ahh! It looks so good on you!” Mingyu said with delight. He was wearing a very similar one, except that it was a slightly darker shade of beige.
 
“Did you really get us matching jumpers?” Wonwoo narrowed his eyes.
 
“No, I just like this brand a lot so I bought two,” Mingyu waved his hand dismissively. “But do you like it?”
 
Wonwoo pulled the sleeves over his hands and shifted the neckline, as it had begun to fall over his right shoulder, revealing a good portion of his collarbone which made Mingyu choke a little. “I suppose it’s pretty comfortable.”
 
“Well, Happy Birthday anyway,” Mingyu smiled. “I didn’t really know what else to get you... I figured you’d probably want some new clothes.”
 
“Practical. Thanks,” Wonwoo gave him a small smile. “Did you not know my size or did you purposely buy an oversized one? Because you could easily wear this too.”
 
“Um, I guess it’s a slight apology for stealing your clothes all the time,” Mingyu admitted sheepishly. Mingyu wasn’t the best at remembering to do his own laundry; so he often ‘borrowed’ Wonwoo’s larger jackets and shirts. “Most of your clothes fit me, so I just bought two the same size.”
 
Mingyu felt too embarrassed to tell Wonwoo that he looked unfairly adorable in the loose sweater. He definitely didn’t regret insisting that Wonwoo wear it to school on their first day.
 
Mingyu was jittering with excitement that he could finally start school at Pledis University. After what felt like a long holiday of moving and settling in with Wonwoo, he would finally be able to take the first step toward achieving his dream in acting.
 
As it turns out, the drama department were holding hugely important auditions on the first day of school at 5 PM. He’d signed up through Junhui, who was also auditioning, and had spent the last few weeks practising his lines over and over (alone, since Wonwoo didn’t want to help).
 
Mingyu honestly wasn’t that confident around girls; though he looked like the kind of guy who’d be all over them. The play he’d been practising required intensely romantic scenes between the main guy and girl character, and Mingyu wasn’t sure if he could really pull it off. He knew he’d have to it up if he wanted to be an actor.
 
“You ready for the auditions?” Wonwoo asked as they boarded the elevator with their backpacks slung over their shoulders. Mingyu had the constant nagging feeling that he was forgetting something.
 
He laughed nervously. “I haven’t even started the school day! I don’t wanna worry about the auditions just yet.”
 
“You’ll be fine,” Wonwoo assured. “Hopefully all the yell-acting I’ve had to sit through will be worth it.”
 
Mingyu felt slightly flustered that Wonwoo probably heard all of his practices in front of the bathroom mirror. After all, he needed to get his emotions and tone perfect for the auditions. Even if that meant locking himself in the bathroom and yelling at the mirror for two hours straight.
 
Ding. More people squished into the elevator and it was becoming noisy and stuffy in the enclosed space. Upon reaching the lobby, they were met with a crowd of students mingling around, waiting for their friends who were probably thirty minutes late.
 
Mingyu spotted Minghao and Junhui among the crowd of students and quickly ran to catch up with them, Wonwoo trailing behind, struggling to keep up with his long strides.
 
“Yo, Mingyu,” Minghao greeted him with smile and a slap on the back. “I’m so pumped for our first day.”
 
Mingyu smiled enthusiastically. 
 
“Enjoy the freshman days while it lasts. You won’t be so enthusiastic this time next year,” Junhui sighed. Wonwoo nodded in agreement. “Also, nice matching jumpers,” he added with a smirk.
 
Wonwoo pulled his sleeves down further and retreated into the fabric, glaring at Junhui. “Thanks,” he said sarcastically.
 
“So, ready for orientation?” Junhui asked Mingyu.
 
“Orientation?” Mingyu tilted his head.
 
“It’s this assembly thing they do for freshmen,” Wonwoo explained. “To welcome them to the school.”
 
“Oh, neat.”
 
“It’s really boring,” Junhui admitted.
 
“Why are you here anyway, Jun?” Wonwoo asked. “I thought you don’t have classes today.”
 
“Junhui wanted to come along,” Minghao sighed.
 
“You’d get lost without me. You couldn’t even find your way to the laundry downstairs that one time,” Junhui pointed out.
 
“Fair enough,” Minghao relented.
 
“Yo, guys!” a loud shout announced the entrance of their good friend, Lee Seokmin, who had sprinted from the apartment block to catch up with the group.
 
“Seokmin!” Mingyu grinned. He slung his arm around the boy’s shoulders.
 
“So, you and Minghao are the new bait this time around,” Seokmin winked.
 
“Looking forward to it,” Minghao said dryly.
 
“Where’s Chan?” Wonwoo asked.
 
“He’s at school already,” Seokmin said, pointing across the road to Pledis Performing Arts High School.
 
“Oh. I haven’t seen him in a while. Hope he’s doing okay,” Wonwoo said.
 
“Bit of difficulty with maths, but otherwise, he’s great,” Seokmin said with a smile.
 
Seokmin turned back for a moment and waved his hand at someone else, who jogged to meet up with the growing group. The boy had fluffy brown hair, distinctly shaped eyes and a warm smile. 
 
“Guys, this is Jisoo. He’s our hyung at Pledis,” Seokmin introduced. 
 
The boy - Jisoo - nodded politely. 
 
“Jisoo! You’re... Jeonghan’s boyfriend?” Wonwoo asked.
 
“Yeah! You must be Wonwoo. Thanks for taking care of Jeonghan at your café; he’s talked about you quite a lot,” Jisoo smiled.
 
The boys all introduced themselves as they entered the university grounds.
 
“Ah, so it’s your first day here?” Jisoo said to Mingyu and Minghao. “Pledis is a good place. Really competitive, which is understandable, but the people here are great.”
 
“Yeah, it’s a bit nerve-wracking, but I’m hyped!” Mingyu said. “I’m auditioning for a play this afternoon, so that’s making me even more anxious.”
 
“Oh, the annual Pledis production? Good luck,” he told Mingyu. “My boyfriend always helps out backstage for the drama productions, so I normally come and watch stuff like this.”
 
“Don’t come and watch me,” Mingyu pleaded in embarrassment. He didn’t mind acting in front of large audiences, since he didn’t get stage fright easily, but it was different when people he knew was in the crowd.
 
“I’ll make sure to come, then,” Jisoo grinned.
 
Heading towards the freshmen meeting place, they were stopped by a man handing out some flyers. It seemed they had reached the area where clubs were advertised.
 
“Want to learn how to sing like an idol without the gruelling hours of training?” he said, approaching the group. Normally, Mingyu would’ve shied away from people handing out flyers, but he took one from the friendly looking man. Jisoo took one as well.
 
“You should take singing lessons,” Mingyu whispered to Wonwoo, showing him the flyer. 
 
Wonwoo gave him a look. “No way.”
 
“Why not? You have a great voice.”
 
“I’m not interested,” Wonwoo muttered, feeling flustered under Mingyu’s gaze. Respecting his boundaries, Mingyu dropped the subject. But honestly, Mingyu really wanted to hear Wonwoo sing again, like he did in the arcade a few weeks ago. Wonwoo’s velvet-smooth voice had ingrained itself into Mingyu’s brain and he felt addicted to the sound of it.
 
“You like singing, Jisoo?” Seokmin asked, seeing Jisoo study the flyer intensely.
 
“Jeonghan and I sing together sometimes,” Jisoo explained. “I’ve always wanted to get better.”
 
Wonwoo looked over at the man handing the flyers out - one of the seniors he’d seen around the university, Bumzu. He was talking to two younger boys, who Wonwoo knew.
 
“Do you think I should take singing lessons, Jihoon-ie?” the blue-haired boy, Soonyoung, asked his shorter roommate.
 
“Why would you want to?” Jihoon grumbled in a low voice. “I could just teach you.”
 
“Last time I asked, you kicked me,” Soonyoung pointed out.
 
“Your singing is fine. You don’t need classes,” Jihoon insisted.
 
“You’re so good at dance. But your specialty is vocal and composing. It’s unfair,” Soonyoung complained. “My singing is no where near as good as your dancing is.”
 
Jihoon saw Wonwoo standing nearby, and seeing an excuse to drop the subject, he waved at the tall boy. 
 
“Your singing is fine as it is,” Jihoon said under his breath as Wonwoo walked up to greet them. Jihoon felt like Wonwoo was grinning at him - though his face showed no emotion, his usual poker face covering up anything he potentially felt.
 
“Hey, Jihoon. Soonyoung,” Wonwoo greeted. Jihoon saw Mingyu following up behind and grinned. 
 
“Hey, Wonwoo,” he drawled, “Nice to see you. And Mingyu.”
 
“Jihoon!” Mingyu said enthusiastically. “I’m really sad you didn’t end up working at NO F.U.N with me and Soonyoung.”
 
“Don’t be. It wasn’t the place for me.”
 
“Oh man, I’m gonna be late,” Soonyoung exclaimed, checking his phone. “Good luck on your first day, Mingyu! See you at work sometime,” he said with a wave as he ran off toward the dance studios.
 
“We should probably head to the meeting place,” Wonwoo said. 
 
“When’s your first class?” Jihoon asked.
 
“In about an hour,” Wonwoo replied. “I got a pretty good schedule this year, I’m happy.”
 
“Lucky you. I’ve got some 9 AM classes,” Jihoon sighed.
 
“9 AM? I’ve got some too. Isn’t that a good thing?” 
 
“You like morning classes?” Jihoon said incredulously.
 
“Wonwoo wakes up at like 7 everyday,” Mingyu interjected. “Willingly.”
 
“Unbelievable,” Jihoon shook his head. “Anyway, I’ve got my first class on the other side of the campus. See you guys.” Jihoon walked in the direction of the music department. 
 
“Hey, Wonwoo, do you think we could stop by the bathroom before the meeting thing?” Mingyu asked. 
 
“Yeah, sure,” Wonwoo said. He went over to tell Junhui and the others that they’d meet them at the main courtyard, where the freshmen were meant to meet. While they were talking with Soonyoung and Jihoon, the others had begun looking around the stalls and talking to people handing out flyers. Minghao seemed very interested in joining a thug-looking dance group.
 
Wonwoo walked with Mingyu to the nearest bathroom he knew of. Even after two years in the university, he still barely knew his way around the campus. His classes were often in the front few buildings, which meant he hardly explored the back of the university, where most of the performing art blocks were. 
 
Wonwoo wasn’t a social person, which was pretty obvious to most as he avoided eye contact as much as he could and only offered up short answers to anyone attempting conversation with him. He didn’t have any mortal enemies, but that didn’t mean that there weren’t any people who disliked him ‘just because it was him’.
 
He hated people pitying him, which was probably why he refused to tell anyone, even Junhui, about a particular group of guys who somehow found out he was gay during the last few weeks of the previous semester. Wonwoo’s university life had been pretty normal up until the point some dickheads decided to target him as the ‘local gay kid’. Wonwoo wasn’t even the only gay person in his classes, he knew that, but he tended to ignore rather than fight back, making him an ‘easy target’.
 
Wonwoo’s heart dropped down to his stomach when he saw those very boys sauntering towards their general direction. Hoping they didn’t see him, he grabbed Mingyu’s hand and pulled him along hurriedly.
 
But it wasn’t like Wonwoo was the luckiest person around.
 
“Oi, isn’t that Jeon Wonwoo?” one of them hollered.
 
“Who’s the guy with you?”
 
“Got a new boy toy?”
 
Wonwoo’s eye twitched as he turned around, frozen in his tracks. He sighed. He was so sick of them.
 
“Hey. Thanks for the lovely work you did on my books last semester,” he said dryly.
 
“Wonwoo, what’s going on?” Mingyu whispered urgently.
 
“Oh, they just helped me wash my books,” Wonwoo said, tone betraying no emotion. He was bitter that he had to spend a few hundred dollars on new books for the semester. But since it led him to meeting Jihoon, he decided he wasn’t all too bad. 
 
“Ah, you’re welcome, friend,” the tallest boy grinned.
 
“And what’s your name?” they jeered at Mingyu.
 
“Don’t bring him into this,” Wonwoo said firmly. “We don’t have time for your bull. Let’s go.” He gripped Mingyu’s wrist tightly and pulled him away. The bathroom was so close.
 
Wonwoo pulled Mingyu into the bathroom and looked back quickly, relieved that they didn’t follow them. But he could hear their jeering shouts in the background.
 
“I’m sorry,” Wonwoo said quietly. It had been a good few years since Wonwoo wanted to drown  himself in a black hole. It wasn’t that their teasing bothered him - he just felt embarrassed that he had to drag Mingyu into it.
 
“Wonwoo.” Mingyu’s intense stare made Wonwoo’s stomach churn. “Why are they bullying you?”
 
“Beats me,” Wonwoo said quietly.
 
Sensing that he didn’t want to talk about it, Mingyu decided to drop it. But if he had to, he’d do something about it in the future. “Well, it’s not cool.”
 
“You don’t say.” Wonwoo felt thankful that Mingyu didn’t push the subject. It seemed that Mingyu had come to understand his boundaries over the last few weeks of living with him.
 
“Anyway, I need to use the toilet,” Mingyu laughed. Wonwoo went back outside cautiously to wait for him. Luckily, the boys were gone.
 
When Mingyu was done, they rushed over to the main courtyard, because they were already a few minutes late for the freshmen meeting.
 
--------------
 
[PLEDIS UNIVERSITY - MAIN COURTYARD]
 
“About time you got here,” Minghao whispered as he met Mingyu at the edge of the courtyard.
 
“Sorry, we got held up,” Mingyu said apologetically. He looked slightly distressed, but Minghao didn’t question it as the professors were giving them looks to shut up.
 
Minghao turned his attention back to the current speaker, a short man with a bald head. He couldn’t help but be transfixed by the shininess of his bald head. 
 
“Welcome, freshmen, to the best university in South Korea, if I may say so myself,” he chortled. The freshmen in the crowd didn’t seem to be too amused, but clapped to humour him. 
 
“We’ll keep this as short as possible so that you can head off to your classes, conducted by the best professors in the country!” the man’s upbeat tone was starting to annoy Minghao. He was excited to be in this new school, but the man’s grating voice was making him doubt himself. The man started droning on about how philosophy and ethics was undoubtedly the best course - using a lot of complex terminology that Minghao didn’t understand. He looked over at Junhui, who was standing off to the side with Wonwoo and a couple other seniors. Junhui looked back at him and shrugged, seemingly not understanding the speech either.
 
“That’s enough, Dr. Kim, you’re boring them,” a younger professor halted him from the sidelines. “Let Seungcheol speak now.”
 
Dr. Kim cleared his throat sheepishly and resumed speaking. “Oh, uh, now! A young man who is currently a junior at Pledis will say a few words,” he gestured to the side. Minghao was surprised to see Seungcheol there, looking rather jittery and nervous. Did Seungcheol get a new haircut? He actually looks pretty good.
 
“Um, hey guys,” Seungcheol said into the microphone. He flinched upon hearing his voice amplified through the speakers.
 
“So, it’s finally your first day of university. Congratulations on making it this far. You probably only had finals a little while ago, am I right?” The crowd offered up a few murmurs of agreement. “Well, whatever you learnt from finals, from high school, from your entire life up until now; that’s all pretty useless in university.” The crowd groaned.
 
“According to Junhui, he’s not wrong,” Minghao whispered to Mingyu.
 
“Whether you’re into science, or into the arts, or you have no idea what you’re doing,” the crowd laughed, “university is the time to reinvent yourself. Let loose, meet new people, procrastinate... Do what you want to do and don’t let other people oppress you. I’ve been here for three years, and I’ve had the time of my life. It’s not like I have the best grades, but as long as you have fun, it’ll be alright. But still. Study hard, kids. Don’t follow in my footsteps. Good luck for university. If you have any problems, please hesitate to ask me.” He grinned and proceeded to step away from the microphone. The crowd clapped uncertainly. 
 
“Just kidding. Come talk to me whenever!” Seungcheol shouted out as he ran off. 
 
“Seems like he has somewhere to be,” Mingyu laughed.
 
Everyone soon dispersed, heading toward their first classes. The four of them began walking towards the performing arts block, where Mingyu and Minghao’s classes were. Junhui and Minghao dropped back a little, watching Mingyu and Wonwoo from behind.
 
“They seem closer,” Minghao whispered to Junhui. While he used to keep his distance, Wonwoo seemed to be comfortably walking right next to Mingyu, shoulders brushing occasionally. 
 
Apparently Minghao wasn’t the only one who thought they looked good together.
 
“Oh my God, those guys over there!”
 
“They’re so cute! Do you think they’re models?”
 
One girl smiled at Junhui with a bit too much flirt for Minghao’s liking. He gave the girl a look, and the smile dropped off her face. 
 
A girl with a lot of courage stopped Mingyu and Wonwoo in their tracks. Looking up at them (since she was considerably shorter than the boys), she said, “You guys look so good together.”*
 
Minghao spluttered and clung onto Junhui, holding back a laugh. He didn’t expect her to say that; every girl who’d approached them so far had only been interested in getting with either one of them.
 
“Him? No...” Wonwoo dismissed.
 
“But you do,” the girl giggled, running off to her friends who squealed in screeching harmony. 
 
The four of them had drawn so much attention that they were approached by more girls, all much shorter than them. But they were all wearing heels to make them taller and what looked like very expensive clothing. 
 
“Hey there,” one of them drawled. From a completely homoual perspective, Minghao thought she was quite pretty, despite the horrible ‘popular girl’ tone in her voice. She had big, round eyes and perfectly applied makeup that complimented her petite features - though she was gorgeous, the amount of perfect she emitted made Minghao want to gag. He hated girls who seemed as perfect and manicured as she did.
 
“You’re freshmen, aren’t you?” 
 
Wonwoo and Junhui took a step back and inched away from them.
 
“I haven’t seen you around here,” another one began advancing towards Mingyu. 
 
Minghao gulped; her perfume was overbearing. It seemed that they were in full-hunt mode, and Mingyu and Minghao were the prey. Man, girls are scary. Jun, isn’t this a great time to fight for me?
 
“We’re not interested,” Mingyu said in his signature blunt tone. He still managed to sound so sincere and apologetic about it. 
 
“We don’t believe that,” a girl drawled. Did more girls just show up, or am I high from the perfume?
 
“Guys as gorgeous as you belong with girls as gorgeous as us,” she stated.
 
“I’m offended,” Minghao growled. “Don’t you dare compare us to you.”
 
She laughed in a high pitched voice that made Minghao cringe. “What, are you gay or something?”
 
Minghao laughed lowly. “Is that a problem?” Reaching back, he pulled over who he thought was Junhui, but because he didn’t look back, he accidentally grabbed Wonwoo’s waistband. Mortified, Minghao had to roll with it since the girls didn’t seem to want to back down, as frustrated as he felt. 
 
Pulling Wonwoo towards him, he gingerly slid his arm around his side. The girl narrowed her eyes and sighed. “I don’t mean bromance. Boys do that all the time.” 
 
Minghao gulped; what, did she want him to kiss the guy? He’d never live that down. 
 
“Fine. You’ll never meet girls like us again though,” she insisted. Minghao breathed in a sigh of relief.
 
“That’s the point,” Mingyu said, grabbing Wonwoo and walking past quickly. The girl looked confused. Minghao grinned sheepishly and hurriedly followed after with Junhui.
 
“So, I guess you want to break up,” Junhui said, wiping away a fake tear.
 
Minghao buried his face in his hands. “Sorry, Wonwoo,” he apologised to the boy first.
 
“No worries,” Wonwoo held back a laugh. “I’ve used the gay card before. But not like you did.”
 
“Shut up.”
 
“Nice one,” Mingyu chuckled, slinging his arm around Minghao and laughing even louder.
 
“Shut up,” Minghao repeated.
 
“You guys should get used to this. Girls who don’t even go here show up just to hunt for a new boy toy,” Wonwoo sighed.
 
“You sound pretty experienced,” Minghao smirked, winding his hand into Junhui’s. Junhui huffed, but couldn’t stay mad for long.
 
“It happens a lot,” Wonwoo shrugged. But has any girl outright shipped you with your roommate before?
 
They reached the building where Mingyu’s first class was, and Wonwoo said he would follow him in to make sure he ‘didn’t lose his way’. Knowing Mingyu, Minghao didn’t think it was a bad idea for Wonwoo to follow.
 
“Don’t be late to the auditions,” Junhui said, bro-hugging Mingyu. “You ready?”
 
“I practised as much as I could,” Mingyu smiled.
 
“Have fun in your classes,” Junhui said as he bid them goodbye.
 
Junhui followed Minghao until they reached his classroom building. Not really caring that the building was quite crowded, Minghao quickly kissed Junhui before going into his classroom. Not only was Junhui’s face priceless, but hearing the gasps and whispers of the surrounding girls never felt more satisfying to him.
 
“Should probably let you know, Minghao, that public affection isn’t that acceptable around here,” a strangely familiar voice remarked as Minghao entered the classroom. 
 
Minghao felt his stomach drop. He turned slowly and came face to face with a gorgeous boy with light brown hair, wearing a beanie that framed his delicate features. Out of all the places in the world, Minghao never expected to meet him again here. In his dance class. In South Korea.
 
“Luhan?”
 

a/n;
*aka fem!hoshi, who’s just as much meanie trash as the rest of us xD

idk why i put luhan in here but it happened and im in too deep now