there's plenty of fish in the sea

Apartment Block 17

[APARTMENT #118; Choi Hansol, Boo Seungkwan]

 
“Yeah, I saw my results just now. My grade’s gone up 7%,” Hansol announced proudly to Jisoo on the phone.
 
“I’m glad I could help,” Jisoo smiled through the phone.
 
“I’m proud of you!” Jeonghan shouted in the background.
 
“All thanks to you,” Hansol said. “Anyway, I gotta go get ready for school.”
 
Jisoo laughed. “Have fun.”
 
“We’re going to the aquarium today for an excursion,” Hansol said as he packed his bag. “Ever been?”
 
“Oh, the Drift Away Aquarium? Jeonghan took me when I first moved here,” Jisoo said.
 
“Any worthy attractions?”
 
“The penguins are so cute,” Jisoo said excitedly.
 
“They’re almost as cute as you,” Jeonghan commented in the background.
 
“Me or Jisoo?” Hansol smirked. He heard Jeonghan laugh faintly.
 
“Alright, I’ll look out for cute penguins. See you, hyung!” Hansol hung up as Seungkwan walked into the kitchen, where Hansol was now preparing himself breakfast.
 
“Hey, are we filming a video today or tomorrow?” Seungkwan asked as he grabbed cereal from the cupboard.
 
“The ZICO cover? Or is it another vlog?” Hansol asked to clarify.
 
“ZICO cover,” Seungkwan clarified, pouring milk over the cereal. “Jihoon said he’d get us into a recording studio at Pledis Uni. But it has to be today or tomorrow.”
 
“Hmm, how about tomorrow?” Hansol suggested. “Since we’re going on an excursion. And isn’t drama club at 4:30 today?”
 
“True, I forgot. I’ll tell him,” Seungkwan texted Jihoon as he ate his cereal.
 
They sat at the dining table and ate in silence for a while. Seungkwan had been a bit off lately, and it was worrying Hansol.
 
“Hey, are you alright?” Hansol asked cautiously. “You’ve been a bit quiet lately.”
 
“Just a bit tired, I guess,” Seungkwan replied, not too convincingly.
 
“Oh, well... I’ll believe you. But you can talk to me about anything, you know?” Hansol insisted. “That’s what friends are for.”
 
“Yeah. Friends,” Seungkwan laughed weakly and concentrated a little too hard on his bowl of cereal.
 
Hansol frowned, wanting to change the topic. “Oh, anyway. I need some advice! Figure I’d come to the best,” he smiled, trying to pry Seungkwan’s attention away from his cereal.
 
“Oh, about what?” Seungkwan perked up. 
 
“I’ve decided to ask Chaeyoung out,” Hansol said proudly.
 
“Oh, really,” Seungkwan said, returning his gaze to his cereal.
 
“You know that New Year’s festival next month? Apparently there’s a really big fireworks display and it sounds like a great opportunity,” Hansol continued.
 
“Oh, nice.”
 
“You sound disappointed,” Hansol frowned. “Not good enough for Boo Seungkwan? What would you do?”
 
“What do you mean, ‘what would I do’?”
 
“If you wanted to ask a girl out, how would you do it?”
 
Seungkwan laughed slightly bitterly. “Like I’d ever want to ask a girl out. I can’t even talk to a girl.”
 
“But you’re Boo Seungkwan!” Hansol threw up his hands and laughed. “Look at all your adoring fans.”
 
“Okay, but... have you thought about what this means for our channel?” Seungkwan sighed, finishing the last of his milk and taking the bowl to the sink.
 
Hansol put on a face of confusion and Seungkwan sat back down.
 
“How do you think our fans will take it? That Choi Hansol has a girlfriend now,” Seungkwan said.
 
“Well, obviously not everyone will be happy. I know that,” Hansol said. “But I don’t think our online lives should affect our personal ones.”
 
“True. But.. what about...” Seungkwan hesitated.
 
“Oh, the Boonon shippers?” Hansol nodded thoughtfully.
 
“Yeah,” Seungkwan said quietly. Both the boys were painfully aware of the hardcore fans who looked into their interactions far too much. They were already really close friends, but sometimes the fans who shipped them made them feel a little uncomfortable around each other.
 
“I’m sure the majority of them know we’re not actually... like that...” Hansol said softly.
 
“Well, they’ll be angry,” Seungkwan said abruptly as he grabbed his schoolbag.
 
“Wait, are you leaving already--”
 
“Yeah. I need to... go buy stuff,” Seungkwan said absently as he left the apartment in a hurry.
 
“Seungkwan--” Hansol called out, but Seungkwan had already closed the front door.
 
------------
 
[DRIFT AWAY AQUARIUM]
 
“Alright, as we call your name, please move to your assigned groups. You are to stay in these tour groups for the whole day,” a teacher instructed as the students filed out of the buses.
 
Hansol alighted the bus and searched around for Seungkwan. Since he left that morning, Hansol hadn’t been able to find him at all.
 
“Boo Seungkwan,” a teacher called. Hansol saw Seungkwan make his way to his tour group. 
 
“Choi Hansol,” a different teacher called. Hansol sighed and walked to his group; he wasn’t in Seungkwan’s group. Hansol felt like he needed to talk to him; Seungkwan was rarely ever moody and they hardly ever argued with each other.
 
The groups were a mix of first, second and third year biology students. At Pledis High, students could choose different course selections, and Seungkwan and Hansol had chosen the selection with biology in it. The selections determined their classes.
 
Hansol nearly choked when he heard his group leader call out ‘Son Chaeyoung’, followed by a couple of other second year names. Their group was complete as the second years alighted their buses and joined their respective groups. 
 
“Hi, Hansol!” Chaeyoung greeted. Her friends were smiling behind her.
 
“Oh, hi. Chaeyoung,” Hansol managed to get out. He’d talked to Chaeyoung a few times, but they weren’t best friends or anything. Chaeyoung was a fan of him and Seungkwan.
 
“Not with Seungkwan today?” she asked.
 
“He’s in a different group,” Hansol said, palms sweating.
 
“Aw, alright. Have you been recording anything lately?” she asked.
 
“Yeah, actually. We’re recording a cover tomorrow,” Hansol said, wringing his hands and willing them to stop shaking. “How’s training going?”
 
“We’ve just recorded some solos,” Chaeyoung said, sighing. “I hope I’ll get to debut soon.”
 
“I’m sure you will,” Hansol said good-naturedly. He was suddenly aware of the possible dating bans Chaeyoung would be put under.
 
All the groups were organised and the group leaders began to lead their groups into the aquarium one by one. Hansol glanced around at his group and realised he didn’t know anyone besides Chaeyoung.
 
Hansol spotted Seungkwan’s group following behind his. Their eyes met and Hansol smiled, but was disheartened when Seungkwan looked away hurriedly and disappeared into the crowd. What’s wrong with Seungkwan?
 
“Hey!” a voice greeted from his right. Hansol turned to see one of the second year boys talking to him. He seemed vaguely familiar, but Hansol wasn’t sure why.
 
“Hey,” Hansol greeted.
 
“You’re Hansol, aren’t you? Or, I guess, Vernon,” he smiled.
 
“Oh, you know Boonon?” Hansol grinned. Vernon was his middle name, which he used as his stage alias.
 
“My hyung introduced me to your channel. You and Seungkwan are really funny and inspirational,” he said.
 
“Oh, I’m glad! What’s your name?” Hansol asked.
 
“Oh, sorry. I’m Chan. I never knew you went to Pledis High,” the boy - Chan - gave him a toothy smile.
 
“It’s a small world,” Hansol smiled.
 
They entered the aquarium, and Hansol’s group moved off to the deep sea exhibit. Hansol started talking more comfortably with Chan, and seeing as they both didn’t know anyone else in the group, stuck together through all the exhibits. 
 
“I’m actually training to be an idol,” Chan admitted.
 
“Wait, seriously?” Hansol exclaimed. “That’s so cool! Which agency?”
 
“Pledis,” Chan said proudly.
 
“Damn, you must be really good. I suddenly feel inferior,” Hansol laughed.
 
“Why don’t you and Seungkwan audition? You’ll surely be accepted,” Chan said.
 
“Idol life isn’t really for us, I guess,” Hansol said sheepishly.
 
“That’s true. It’s really tough, even though I haven’t debuted yet. My brother, Seokmin, is in the same agency and he’s got it tougher than me since he’s older.”
 
“Wait, Seokmin? That name sounds really familiar,” Hansol furrowed his eyebrows.
 
“Oh, Seokmin knows Seungkwan. Also, you guys came round for Seungcheol’s birthday a few months ago,” Chan explained. “Not sure you’d remember me, though,” he laughed.
 
“Oh, wait! I think I do. No wonder you seemed familiar,” Hansol said sheepishly. “Sorry. We met a lot of people that day and my memory isn’t the greatest.”
 
“It’s cool. Glad I got the chance to talk to you properly like this,” Chan smiled.
 
Their group managed to make it through the deep sea exhibit and proceeded to the outdoor pool, where there would be a seal feeding show in ten minutes. They were joined by other groups; among which, Hansol saw Seungkwan.
 
“Oh, hey! It’s Seungkwan,” Chan spotted him in the crowd. Seungkwan, upon seeing Hansol with Chan, quickly took a seat far up the back. 
 
“Yeah,” Hansol said quietly. 
 
“What’s wrong?” Chan picked up his hesitation quickly.
 
“Nothing. Just... roommate stuff,” Hansol brushed him off.
 
“Oh, you guys live in Apartment Block 17, right?” Chan asked as they took a seat in the middle of the bleachers. “You and Seungkwan should come over sometime!” he suggested with a grin.
 
Hansol laughed. “Sounds cool.”
 
The sound of girls giggling behind them captured Hansol’s attention. In his peripheral vision, he saw that it was Chaeyoung’s group of friends. They were all giggling and nudging Chaeyoung, who rolled her eyes and pushed them off.
 
Chan turned around fully and asked them what was so funny. It seemed that he knew them; they were probably in the same class.
 
“You would know, Chan,” one of the girls laughed.
 
“I actually don’t,” Chan shot back playfully.
 
“Sorry about them, they’re just idiots,” Chaeyoung looked pointedly at her friends.
 
Chan smiled and turned back around.
 
“You know Chaeyoung?” Hansol whispered.
 
“She’s in my class,” Chan said. Just as I thought.
 
“Does she like anyone?” Hansol nudged.
 
“Hmm. I’ve heard her friends teasing her about some guy before,” Chan said thoughtfully. “A guy in my class asked her out a few days ago but she turned him down, saying she liked someone else.”
 
“Oh, really,” Hansol said thoughtfully.
 
“What, do you like her?” Chan poked Hansol teasingly.
 
“Is it that obvious?” Hansol laughed. 
 
“Oh, wait. Seriously?” Chan said a little too loudly. Hansol gave him a look and Chan shut up.
 
“Um, but... you know she’s a trainee, right? I don’t know about her agency, but Pledis has pretty strict dating regulations for trainees,” Chan said quietly.
 
“Yeah. But I’ll give it a shot anyway,” Hansol replied.
 
“Oh. Fighting!” Chan grinned.
 
The crowd settled down as the seal feeding show began. Hansol and Chan were sitting quite close to the front and were splashed multiple times. Chan laughed and shook off the water onto Hansol, who protested and shoved Chan to the side. They were lucky they weren’t sitting next to anybody.
 
They separated back into their groups an hour later and headed off to the touch pool. Hansol never really liked the touch pool; he felt sorry for the poor fish that had to deal with grabby kids. 
 
“Woah, it’s so slippery,” Chan marvelled as he graced his hand over a stingray. 
 
“Don’t touch the tail,” Hansol warned. “It’s not pleasant.”
 
Chan laughed. “You sound experienced.”
 
They fell back into casual banter a short while later while waiting for the rest of the group to finish touching fish. 
 
“Maths is definitely my worst subject,” Chan sighed. “English must be good for you, right? Since you’re fluent.”
 
Definitely,” Hansol said in English. “I’m terrible at maths too. I had to get a tutor because of it,” he sighed.
 
“Oh, same! He actually lives in Apartment Block 17 so it’s really convenient for me,” Chan said.
 
“Wait, yeah. Same. Mine’s a guy called Jisoo,” Hansol narrowed his eyes.
 
“What?” Chan blinked. “Jisoo tutors you too? You’re the other guy he’s been talking about?”
 
“I was about to ask you the same thing,” Hansol said.
 
“Is he any good to you?” Chan asked jokingly.
 
“Raised my grades 7%,” Hansol said proudly.
 
“Hope I’ll see that improvement when I get my results,” Chan grinned.
 
“Fighting,” Hansol patted Chan on the back.
 
“You know, we should just ask Jisoo to take us at the same time. It’d be good for me to get a head start on next year,” Chan said.
 
“I don’t see why not. There’s always an awkward silence when I’m doing my work,” Hansol admitted.
 
“Same. Might as well save him time, right?” Chan grinned.
 
“Hey, hey, hey! It’s Hansol and... Chan!” a voice interrupted from across the room. He saw Junhui and Minghao waving from the other side of the touch pool.
 
“Junhui! Minghao! What are you doing here?” Hansol approached them. Chan smiled upon recognising them; they were friends of his brother, Seokmin.
 
“On a date,” Junhui grinned, putting his arm around Minghao. “You guys here on a school trip?” he asked, noting their uniforms.
 
“Yeah,” Hansol said. “So much fun.” Their teacher called out and told them they had five minutes before they were to meet in the doorway.
 
“Hey, where’s Seungkwan? Aren’t you in his class?” Junhui asked. 
 
“Yeah. He’s in another group, though,” Hansol sighed. 
 
“Oh, well... say hi for me,” Junhui grinned.
 
“Oh hey, have the roles for the audition been announced?” Hansol asked, suddenly remembering.
 
“It’s supposed to be up today, I think,” Junhui pursed his lips. “There aren’t many roles up for grabs so I’m not getting my hopes up.”
 
“Your acting is great, hyung,” Chan interjected. “I’m sure you’ll get a role.”
 
“Ah, thanks Chan. You’re friends with Hansol?”
 
“As of today?” Chan looked at Hansol.
 
“Nice. Hansol, you and Seungkwan should come over and play games with us sometime,” Junhui suggested. 
 
“Be prepared to get your kicked,” Hansol grinned.
 
“Pledis High students, please gather at the doorway,” their group leader called out.
 
“See you around, guys,” Hansol said. “Have fun on your date,” he added with a wink.
 
“We will,” Junhui led Minghao to the touch pool as Hansol and Chan left.
 
“Alright, we’re going to the penguin exhibits, and then we’ll get lunch and head back to school,” the group leader explained once all the students in the group returned. Hmm, let’s see if the penguins are as cute as Jisoo says they are...
 
“Hansol, Chan,” Chaeyoung called as the group began to wander towards the penguin exhibit. “Wanna eat lunch together?” she asked.
 
“Of course!” Hansol replied a little too quickly. Chan nodded and smiled smugly at Hansol.
 
The group leader dropped back and started talking to the students around Hansol.
 
“Have you learnt anything today?”
 
“About what?”
 
“... Marine life, perhaps?”
 
“I’ve learnt about Chan’s hobbies if that’s what you mean,” Hansol grinned cheekily.
 
“Hansol, I hope you’ve been paying attention to what you’ve been seeing today. We’ll be starting a project on marine animals as soon as we get back.”
 
Hansol turned to Chan. “Well, .”
 
-----------
 
[DRIFT AWAY AQUARIUM - TOUCH POOL]
 
“I’ll be right back,” Minghao said hurriedly as he left towards the bathroom. He rubbed his eyes furiously.
 
“Minghao--” Junhui called, but Minghao had disappeared behind the doors. 
 
Holy . No way,” Minghao cursed in Chinese. “Why do I have the worst luck?” He locked himself in a cubicle and slumped against the wall.
 
Junhui had been chattering excitedly about stingrays when Minghao looked up and spotted someone he prayed he would never bump into. Luhan.
 
“Minghao,” came a voice from outside. “I saw you come in here.”
 
,” Minghao cursed under his breath. “Go away,” he said louder, in Chinese. 
 
“Minghao. You have to stop avoiding me,” Luhan chided. 
 
His voice. I can’t believe I used to be addicted to the sound of it. “I’ll do what I want.”
 
“I see you’ve got yourself a new boyfriend. He’s pretty hot,” Luhan said, his voice dancing with playfulness. 
 
“Yeah, he is, isn’t he,” Minghao snarled defensively.
 
“We see each other pretty much everyday in class, you know,” Luhan sighed.
 
“Unfortunately, yes,” Minghao spat back.
 
“You still bitter about us?” Luhan said with a sour laugh.
 
“Bitter isn’t a strong enough word,” Minghao growled.
 
“Well, I apologise. Is that enough for you?” Luhan said.
 
“You’re not sorry,” Minghao felt his anger rising. “You meant every word you said. I can’t believe I actually liked you.”
 
“Hmm. Well, you’re not stupid. I did mean what I said back then,” Luhan said bluntly. “I’m not exactly overjoyed to see you again either, so I guess I don’t blame you for avoiding me. I didn’t ask to be in your class, and I don’t want to be there.”
 
“Why did you come to Korea?” Minghao asked suspiciously.
 
Luhan seemed to hesitate as he was silent for a bit before answering. “For a fresh start.”
 
“Well, I’m sorry for ruining your fresh start, then,” Minghao said bitterly. “Why would you even need a fresh start? You were so loved back home.”
 
“Shut up. Why don’t we just agree to stay out of each other’s way and pretend we never knew each other?” Luhan said with strength behind his words.
 
“You know I can’t do that, Luhan,” Minghao said quietly. He punched the door lightly.
 
“Fine. But it isn’t going to get better until you face me, Minghao,” Luhan sighed.
 
“If I see your face outside of the classroom, there’s a high chance my fist will connect with it,” Minghao said angrily.
 
Luhan laughed coldly. “You wouldn’t want your new boy toy to see you angry like this. Maybe he’ll leave you as well. See you in class, MingMing,” he said with a laugh.
 
“Don’t ing call me that,” Minghao said between gritted teeth. He heard footsteps exit the empty bathroom. He slumped down and sat on the closed toilet, his head between his hands.
 
MingMing.
 
”MingMing!” Luhan called from across the hallway.
 
“Luhan!” Minghao called back happily, slinging his backpack over his shoulder and running up to the boy.
 
”I’m sure you aced that makeup test,” Luhan smiled, ruffling Minghao’s hair.
 
”You have too much faith in me,” Minghao laughed.
 
”Well, someone’s gotta have faith in you, right?” Luhan pulled Minghao close.
 
”Do I get a reward if I pass the test?” Minghao smirked.
 
”Hmm. A kiss, maybe?” Luhan grinned, looking at Minghao playfully.
 
Minghao sighed happily. “I hope I pass, then.”
 
Minghao slapped himself angrily. His eyes burned with the threat of angry, hot tears. Stop living in the past, Minghao. You’ve gotten past that.
 
“Minghao?” Junhui’s voice echoed in the empty bathroom. “You’re taking forever. You still in here?”
 
“I’m here,” Minghao said weakly, wiping his eyes furiously.
 
“Minghao,” Junhui’s voice immediately turned serious when he heard Minghao’s weak voice. “What happened?” He knocked softly on the only locked cubicle.
 
Minghao tried for a laugh. “Uh, I think I might be allergic to fish, or something,” was his lame excuse. 
 
“That’s possible?” Junhui questioned.
 
Minghao opened the door slowly and saw Junhui standing there with a worried expression. He reached out to hug him.
 
“Yeah. Maybe,” Minghao mumbled into Junhui’s shirt.
 
Junhui didn’t question it, and instead hugged Minghao tighter. He knew Minghao wasn’t telling the truth, but if he wasn’t ready, Junhui wouldn’t push him into talking.
 
“I’ll be here whenever you want to talk about it,” Junhui said gently. He was confused, but it hurt him seeing Minghao like this. Minghao was always cheerful and mischievous, sometimes a little more quiet and reserved, but Junhui had hardly ever seen him look genuinely upset. 
 
“I know,” Minghao said quietly.
 

A while later, Minghao seemed to have recovered from whatever happened in the touch pool’s bathroom. Junhui pulled him back out and decided to visit the main aquarium.

 

Passing through the penguin exhibits, they spotted Seungkwan walking out as they walked in. Junhui called out, but Seungkwan seemed rather dazed, so he didn’t notice the two Chinese boys waving at him. Several other students looked at them weirdly.

 
“Seungkwan doesn’t seem right,” Junhui frowned. What’s wrong with everyone, all of a sudden? First Minghao, now Seungkwan... Please tell me Seokmin is alright.
 
“He seems like he’s deep in thought,” Minghao said.
 
Pushing the strange events aside, Junhui pulled Minghao along to the main aquarium. 
 
“Woah! Is that a shark? It’s so cute,” Junhui pushed his face to the glass to get a better look.
 
“Jun, you’re gonna break the glass if you lean on it like that,” Minghao laughed, pulling Junhui backwards.
 
!” he jumped back suddenly as a giant stingray swam up against the glass. 
 
Minghao sat down on a nearby bench, clutching his stomach with laughter. “Wen Junhui just got jumpscared by a stingray.”
 
“Look at that face,” Junhui pointed accusingly at the stingray that just scared him. “The little did it on purpose.” True enough, A stingray's face looked like a happy little child’s. Like the :D emoticon.
 
Minghao laughed louder. Junhui smiled.
 
Fascinated by the fish, Junhui leant up against the glass again. “Wow. There’s seriously so many fish.”
 
“Hmm, yeah,” Minghao replied absently.
 
“No wonder people say ‘there’s plenty of other fish in the sea’ when they’re heartbroken or something,” Junhui laughed. 
 
Minghao frowned.
 
”Minghao,” his mother hugged him tightly. Minghao wouldn’t stop crying. He hated himself for being so weak in front of his parents.
 
”Stop crying, Minghao. That boy isn’t worth it,” his father said sternly. He meant well, but it just made Minghao more upset.
 
“There’s plenty of other fish in the sea,” his mother said gently, his hair. “I’m sure you’ll meet someone else in good time.”
 
“It isn’t about meeting someone else,” Minghao choked. “Luhan’s right. I’m a .”
 
“Minghao,” his mother chided. “Don’t use such language.”
 
“He’s right, though. How could you possibly want me as a son?”
 
His mother wasn’t sure how to reply.
 
“It was a shock,” his father sat down on his bed, looking Minghao in the eyes. “But what can we do? This is who you are. It’s not like... we’re happy about it. But we wouldn’t scorn you for it if that’s who you are.”
 
“I don’t want to be like this,” Minghao sobbed into his mother’s shirt. “Why am I like this?”
 
“Hey, you alright?” Junhui waved his hand in front of Minghao. 
 
“Huh? Oh, sorry. Spaced out a bit,” Minghao blinked.
 
“Oh, alright. I was just saying--” Junhui was interrupted by his phone bleeping.
 
Today 2:30 PM
 
mingu the chingu
> jUN HYUNG
 
me
> why do u keep calling me different names
> be consistent jeez
 
mingu the chingu
> mY FRIEND SAID THE ROLES ARE POSTED
> OUTSIDE THE FRONTING THEATRE
 
me
> WHAT
> DID WE GET THE ROLES
 
mingu the chingu
> IDK MY FRIEND TOLD ME TO GO LOOK MYSELF
 
me
> WHAT A FRIEND
 
mingu the chingu
> JUST GET OVER HERE DUDE
 
“Hey, Mingyu said the audition results are posted!” Junhui exclaimed.
 
“Oh, what? Did you get the role? What about Mingyu?” Minghao asked, snapped out of his stupor.
 
“Dunno! Let’s go!” Junhui grabbed Minghao by the hand and dragged him out.
 
“But... the gift shop--” Minghao protested. 
 

a/n;
luhan may seem slightly like an but i promise thats not what im planning for his character :>
 
anyway thank u as always for reading<3
 
a lowkey shoutout to jin of bts, whose birthday is today, and i’m an emotional wreck since they won artist of the year and jin is like one of my favourite people and hes so beautiful and did you hear his christmas ver of awake and --
 
im so happy svt won world performer (bless) conGRATS BOIS<3
congrats to all the winners of MAMA like dude, that was an intense 6 hours and i am dead did u guys see gfriend’s collab with svt and i cant believe they pERFORMED BOOMBOOM and--
 
also finally svt comeback is in like an hour hAHA KILL ME