tis the season to be jolly

Apartment Block 17

a/n; hellooo i hope you all had a great christmas!!
 
this is gonna be a long arc but i’ve condensed it into 8 parts, divided up into 4 chapters~
(what can i say, christmas presented itself with so many opportunities for this fic ^^) 
 
this chapter is set in the days before christmas (aka the lead up to christmas day)
 
-------------
 
PART ONE: DECK THE HALLS
[PLEDIS UNIVERSITY - ART BLOCK]
 
“So, I’m thinking every Saturday from 5-7,” Jeonghan said.
 
“Yeah, it should be fine. Just make sure you’re not too noisy and you clean up afterwards,” the head of department told him. 
 
“Cool. Thank you so much, Mr. Lee,” Jeonghan bowed and exited graciously. 
 
Jeonghan had finally gotten round to setting up free art classes for anyone who wanted to join - it had required far too much effort for him to bother doing it any sooner, but because Jisoo kept insisting he started them, he finally forced himself to do it in order to complete his compulsory ‘volunteer work’ required by the university. 
 
He knew that Wonwoo’s boyfriend roommate, Mingyu, was interested, so seeing as he finally managed to set a time and place for the classes to be held, he took out his phone to tell Mingyu the good news, ignoring several unread messages from Seungcheol.
 
Today 10:47 AM
 
me
> hey, it’s jeonghan.
> sorry i never texted you sooner lol
 
gyu~
> HEY JEONGHAN:)
> i was wondering when you’d text me lolol
 
me
> yeah ikr haha i was too lazy to text u sorry not sorry
 
gyu~
> :’(
 
me
> anyway u still interested in art classes?
 
gyu~
> yeah!!!
 
me
> ive booked a studio, every saturday, 5-7pm
> can u make it?
 
gyu~
> yeah i’m free!
> that’s awesomeeee i look forward to it :-))
> thank u :D
 
me
> cool. it’s in studio 4 in the art block
> it’ll start next sturday
> bring as many people as u like ??
> see u there ;)
 
-------------
 
Today 10:31 AM
 
cheollie
> jeonghanie
> its nearly christmas
> i need ur help to decorate ab17
> (fathers orders)
 
Today 10:49 AM
 
me
> all the shopping malls started christmas decorating two months ago
> what took u so long
 
cheollie
> priorities ..
> anway yeah my dad came round yesterday and told me to decorate the place a bit
> idk why??? its just an apartment block not a church 
> jisoos christ :/
 
me
> dont use jisoo’s name like that
> rude
 
cheollie
> sorry sorry sorry
> anyway come help me put up stuff
> also ur good with kids arent u
 
me
> ....
> kids?
 
cheollie
> yeah come meet me in the mailroom asap !!
 
-------------
 
[APARTMENT BLOCK 17 - MAILROOM]
 
“I’m here,” Jeonghan flung open the door to the mailroom, out of breath, having had to run over from Pledis University.
 
“Didn’t expect you to get here so fast,” Seungcheol smirked. Behind him, mucking around with various parcels and letters were ten or so middle schoolers.
 
“They’re not kids, Cheol,” Jeonghan narrowed his eyes. “They’re middle schoolers.”
 
“Same thing,” Seungcheol waved him off, earning glares from the ‘kids’ behind him.
 
“Why are they here?” Jeonghan asked.
 
“We don’t have enough help in the mailroom, and our main mailman person conveniently took long service leave to see his family for Christmas,” Seungcheol sighed. “And with all the parcels coming in, I needed extra help.”
 
“So... you hired... middle schoolers,” Jeonghan tilted his head.
 
“They were easy enough to hire,” Seungcheol shrugged. More glares from the ‘kids’.
 
“Anyway, remember when you helped me out in here last year?” Seungcheol continued. Jeonghan nodded; it was a stressful day in which he hadå kindly volunteered to help Seungcheol admin for the day. Seungcheol’s father had insisted on his son helping out with admin work because it would ‘train him for the future’, or something like that. Jeonghan regretted being such a good friend and helping out (it was way too tiring and he didn’t get much compensation for his time anyway).
 
“Since you know your way around here, can you take half of them and show them the ropes?” 
 
“Sure,” Jeonghan agreed reluctantly. He put on a smile as he approached the wary teenagers.
 
They were rowdy and unable to keep still, but Jeonghan grew to like them. He explained how things worked and how parcels were sorted to be delivered, and they seemed to understand. Hopefully they wouldn’t screw up too bad, Jeonghan prayed (to Jisoos Christ).
 
There were nearly ten times the parcels piled up in the mailroom compared to normal, and all of them had to be delivered by Christmas Day, which was quickly approaching. Seungcheol said he needed to go buy some decorations and extra things, and Jeonghan didn’t want to be left in charge, so he followed.
 
“You guys will be alright sorting through the parcels?” Seungcheol asked sternly. 
 
“Yes, sir,” they smirked.
 
Seungcheol sighed. It’s not like he had much of a choice but to trust them. “Right. See you guys later.”
 
Jeonghan followed Seungcheol out of Apartment Block 17 and across the road to the Shining Diamond Mall. They went to a store called ‘HIGHLIGHT’, which sold everything from clothes, to stationery and craft materials.
 
“So I was thinking, as something extra,” Seungcheol explained as they grabbed a basket and searched through all the Christmas items, “I could dress up as Santa and go around handing out candy canes and other Christmas stuff on Christmas Day.”
 
“Sounds neat. You’ll definitely suit a pot belly and a beard,” Jeonghan smirked. Seungcheol frowned and flicked Jeonghan’s forehead.
 
Just as they picked up the last pack of candy canes in the sales bin, Jeonghan spotted a familiar figure round the corner. 
 
Following the figure into the arts aisle, Jeonghan was beyond puzzled to find Jisoo, wearing an oversized jacket, glasses, a mask and cap. He was sifting through various art supplies, until he noticed Jeonghan staring at him.
 
“O-oh! Jeonghan,” Jisoo stuttered, his eyes wide behind his glasses and voice muffled by the medical mask. He looked like an idol desperately trying not to be recognised.
 
“What are you doing?” Jeonghan stifled a laugh. Jisoo looked really cute in that oversized jacket; a jacket Jeonghan was pretty sure belonged in his closet, and not on Jisoo’s body.
 
“Oh, uh,” Jisoo looked down at the brushes he was holding and back up at Jeonghan. “Just looking at some brushes.”
 
“I can see that,” Jeonghan chuckled and stepped closer. Seungcheol had caught up with him and was equally confused to see Jisoo looking so out of place in all that clothing. 
 
“I gotta go to class,” Jisoo said hurriedly. “I’ll see you at home,” he said as he dropped the brushes back onto the shelf and practically ran out of the store.
 
“Bet you that was your Christmas present,” Seungcheol laughed from behind. “You just spoiled yourself.”
 
“Jisoo’s a terrible liar,” Jeonghan murmured. 
 
“You’re both terrible in your own ways,” Seungcheol sighed. “C’mon. Let’s go pay.”
 
On the way out, Jeonghan saw Junhui and Minghao struggling to carry a giant box - probably a Christmas tree - over to the cashier.
 
“Aww,” Seungcheol cooed, having noticed the Chinese couple as well, “It’s their first Christmas together since Minghao moved here. How precious.”
 
“True,” Jeonghan smiled. “But not as precious as Jisoo wearing my oversized sweater.”
 
-------------
 
PART TWO: TREE-MENDOUS WISHES
[HIGHLIGHT]
 
“A bit pricey, but worth it,” Junhui convinced himself as he readjusted his grip on the heavy box containing his and Minghao’s first Christmas tree.
 
“I didn’t even celebrate Christmas back in China,” Minghao admitted, his line of sight blocked by the box. “So this is exciting.”
 
“I’ll take any excuse to spend money,” Junhui grinned. “I’ll admit, though... this Christmas tree seems way fancier than anything I’ve ever had.”
 
They put the box down by the sidewalk, while they worked out how to cross the busy road before the timer on the traffic light ran out. As Minghao looked around, he suddenly froze and turned pale.
 
Junhui frowned and followed Minghao’s line of sight. Coming out of the Shining Diamond Mall was a boy around their age, with light brown hair and doe-like eyes. He seemed to lock eyes with Minghao before disappearing into the parking lot.
 
Junhui wanted to follow, but seeing as their Christmas tree wouldn’t move itself, he decided against his curiosity. But just as Minghao came out of his stupor, a saviour in the form of Seokmin appeared.
 
“Hey, guys!” Seokmin greeted cheerfully. “What did you buy this time?”
 
“Christmas tree,” Junhui said proudly. “Actually, could you help Minghao bring it back? I have to go... do something,” he said, not very convincingly. Glancing at Minghao, who looked confused, he quickly ran off towards the parking lot. 
 
Junhui saw the boy Minghao was staring at a couple of cars away from him. “Excuse me!” he called. The boy turned to face Junhui with a smile.
 
“I was wondering when you’d finally approach me,” he said. Junhui narrowed his eyes in suspicion.
 
“Who are you? And why do you act like you know me?” Junhui asked.
 
The boy replied in Chinese, much to Junhui’s surprise. “You’re Minghao’s current boyfriend, aren’t you?
 
What do you mean by ‘current’?” Junhui demanded.
 
The boy only laughed. Junhui had to admit that he had a nice laugh, even though all he wanted to do was punch the truth out of the boy right then and there. 
 
You should probably hear it from Minghao,” the boy said. “Not that he’d want to tell you anyway.
 
Are you tormenting him or something? What have you done to Minghao?” Junhui stepped closer, eyes flaring in anger. If he was the reason Minghao was so off lately, Junhui wanted to get to the bottom of it.
 
Maybe I did hurt him in the past,” the boy said thoughtfully, “but that was the past. I regret being so harsh on him, but I wasn’t exactly lying.
 
Junhui couldn’t explain the expression on the boy’s face in that moment. It seemed to flash with hurt, before it was quickly replaced by a sneering expression.
 
Who are you?” Junhui pressed on.
 
I’m Luhan,” the boy said. “Maybe if you mention my name to Minghao, he’ll tell you about me.” 
 
Junhui was beyond confused, but he suspected that Minghao used to date Luhan. The two of them had rarely spoken of previous relationships with each other; though Junhui hadn’t been in a relationship before Minghao. Minghao had mentioned being in a few short relationships back in China, but had insisted they ‘meant nothing’. Junhui wasn’t too sure anymore.
 
Merry Christmas, Junhui,” Luhan said as he walked away, waving. Junhui wanted to pull him back, but decided that maybe asking Minghao directly was the best way to go. He didn’t want to involve himself with Minghao’s possible ex. 
 
Junhui hurried back to Apartment Block 17, hoping that Seokmin and Minghao managed to get the tree up to their apartment in one piece (well, the box at least).
 
While waiting for the elevator, he decided to ask his friends if they knew Luhan. As expected, gossip queen Boo Seungkwan knew a little about him. 
 
Junhui hadn’t talked to Seungkwan in a while, as the latter had seemed rather down for the past two weeks. He seemed to have gotten better lately, but he still wasn’t as upbeat and cheerful as Junhui knew he could be. It even seemed to show in his Youtube videos - many fans had noticed him looking down recently, and no one knew why or what triggered it. Hansol was beyond worried, but didn’t want to push Seungkwan into telling him at the moment. Everyone figured that Seungkwan just needed time to sort out whatever he was dealing with. 
 
Today 11:53 AM
 
me
> hey kwan do u know a guy called luhan
 
seungmeme
> what do you want to know?
 
me
> omg u replied
> are u alright i haven’t heard from u in ages
> minghao’s been worried sick :(
 
seungmeme
> yeah... sorry. i’ve just felt a little off lately
> pls don’t ask
> what do you want to know about luhan?
 
me
> alright well minghao and i are here if u ever need help :)
> yeah so do u know anything about him? like where he’s from etc
 
seungmeme
> who do you think i am?
 
me
> right of course lol ur boo seungkwan
> yeah so... can u give me a profile?
 
seungmeme
> he moved here from china in july. around the same time as mingyu. was accepted into dance at pledis uni. quite a well liked person, but doesn’t seem to have any close friends or a girlfriend/boyfriend. he’s in minghao’s dance class, i’m pretty sure. 
> oh and he’s allergic to seafood
 
me
> okay. thanks, seungkwan
> hope u feel better soon
 
seungmeme
> thanks.
 
With this newfound information, Junhui was sure that Luhan was the reason Minghao was acting so weird this past semester. It all matched up. All that was left was why he bothered Minghao so much. 
 
Exes were one thing, but the way Minghao froze every time he saw Luhan was another. Minghao genuinely looked terrified of Luhan. Junhui hoped it wasn’t as severe as abuse - Luhan didn’t seem like the type to abuse anyone. But Junhui knew he couldn’t judge purely based on looks. 
 
He reached his and Minghao’s apartment a short time later, fumbling for his keys to unlock the door. However, the door opened before he could, and Seokmin poked his head out. 
 
“Oh, you’re back,” Seokmin said, opening the door wider. They had opened the box and taken out all the parts of their Christmas tree - long green branches were strewn across the living room. 
 
“I’ve got training now, so you guys are on your own for the tree,” Seokmin grinned sheepishly. “The instructions may be a bit hard to understand, so good luck!” he added as he walked out.
 
“Hey, where did you go?” Minghao asked as Junhui entered their apartment.
 
“Oh,” Junhui wracked his brain for an excuse. “A friend wanted some chocolate for Christmas. But I couldn’t find it,” he lied.
 
Minghao seemed convinced. “Oh, okay. Let’s set up this tree, then!”
 
Junhui stared down the haphazard branches spread out across their floor. Should be a piece of cake, right? It’s just a tree.
 
He sighed as he picked up the instructions, which were entirely in Korean. His Korean was fine, but reading long paragraphs with complicated vocabulary like instruction booklets always did his head in. He never read instructions even when they were in Chinese.
 
“You know what? the instructions,” Junhui sighed, throwing the booklet in the bin. 
 
Minghao seemed to think along the same lines. They managed to set up the frame fine, but when it came to inserting the branches in the correct place, it proved to be more difficult than they initially thought. 
 
Half an hour later, they collapsed onto the couch in exhaustion. In front of them wasn’t a Christmas tree, but a piece of trash. The branches stuck out at unnatural angles, the top branches longer than the ones at the bottom which made the tree look upside down.
 
Minghao laughed and leant his head on Junhui’s shoulder. “Maybe we really did need the instructions after all.”
 

a/n;
thank u for reading <3 this was just an intro to this arc idk
 
so for all u guys who wanted more on the whole situation with meanie thAT WILL BE IN THE NEXT CHAPTER huhuhuhuu (it has 6K+ words god save us all from my meanie trashed heart)
 
and good news i guess... i will be uploading DAILY until like jan 2nd lol 
(unless something goes wrong lets pray not)
ITS NEARLY 2017 GUYS HOLY SHIET
 
/fangirl corner/
pREIOUCOISUSOIFS SVT BOOM BOOM FIRST PLACES
P . R . O. U . D.. DOESNT EVEN ENCOMPASS MY EMOTIONS
well done carats wE DID ITTT<3
svt deserves the world i am a happy chappie
 
but like did u see how happy soonyoung was and how he kept jumping around and fanboying when he saw key-sunbaenim and how seungkwan couldn’t stop crying during boom boom first win and--
 
boom boom santa ver was the best chrismtas present thank u so much svt
(can we talk about seungkwan dropkicking seokmin omg the predebut mems)