The Electrifying Judgment

The Curse of the Mask

The Gurdurr hits back in a Rock Slide attack, the rocks above smashing down on you. Floon reacts quickly, unleashing an Ominous Wind attack that blows away most of the rocks back at the Gurdurr.

"Who goes there?!"

The Gurdurr immediately stops fighting, and it turns back, kneeling down on the ground, as if worshipping someone. You notice someone walking nearer and nearer you. A young man who looks slightly older than Hakyeon. He's dressed in a black cape and a white robe, looking very much like a magistate. He has a powerful-looking Pokemon standing beside him. 

Lucario. Level 50. Type(s): Steel, Fighting. Moves learned: Calm Mind, Aura Sphere, Hyper Beam, Swagger. Ability: Inner Focus. By reading the auras of all things it can tell how others are feeling from over half a mile away.

"What is your name?" he points to you. Floon stays on guard.

"U-Uh...(Y/N), s-sir!" you salute immediately, and he nods, his Lucario staying on guard.

"Junmyeon," he says, extending a hand for you to shake. "Or Suho for short."

"Thanks for...doing whatever you did back there," you say, edging towards Hakyeon, who's still unconscious on the ground.

"Gurdurr is my disciple's Pokemon," Suho says, gesturing for Gurdurr to stand and the Pokemon does. "He got lost in the mountain, and he thought you were Ditto. As you know, the Ditto are deadly around here. Hakyeon hasn't been down Mt. Crescent for very long, so I suspected that I should keep a lookout...but I met something interesting on the way." 

"Something interesting?"

"Two Pokemon, lost and scared in the mountain..." Suho says. "I rescued them from an onslaught of Ditto." You watch as two Pokemon appear from behind Suho and one of them runs over to you, leaping onto you.

"CHIM!" You hug your monkey Pokemon tightly. You were so sure you weren't going to find Chim ever again!

"I guess I'd better bring you both down. Otherwise, you'd never be able to leave. This mountain is a giant maze. It's to protect the Tower of Mastery from unworthy outsiders." 

He brings out another Pokemon. 

Excadrill. Level 50. Type(s): Ground, Steel. Moves learned: Earthquake, Shadow Claw, Dig, Swords Dance. Ability: Sand Force. More than 300 feet below the surface, they build mazelike nests. Their activity can be destructive to subway tunnels.

"Exacdrill will bring you both to the surface. I still have a friend to meet," Suho says, waving to you as you keep your Pokemon in their Pokeballs, grasping onto Excadrill's body tightly, lugging Hakyeon's body and loading him onto Exacdrill. The Pokemon begins to burrow deep into the ground, using Dig to get the both of you out of there.

*********************************************************************

The moment Excadrill lets the both of you down, Hakyeon somehow managing to awaken during that time, it tunnels back into the ground to search for its trainer. You look around and realize you're directly outside Gondan City. You and Hakyeon are heading down to the city for your agendas when you hear a sudden ringing sound. You jump and try to figure out the source of the ringing as you run into an alley so as not to attract attention.

You find the ringing thing in the deepest recesses of your bag, the Pokephone, with a number flashing on the screen. You press what seems to be a green button and you put it to your ear. You've never used a Pokephone...ever.

"Is this (Y/N)?" Hoseok's voice comes through the phone.

"Yup," you nod, even though he cannot see you.

"Right, I just wanted to let you know that we'll let you in on the case," Hoseok says. "We'll meet at Jandeeo City. Give us a call when you're there. Meanwhile, we'll get started on that case about your missing sister. No guarantees, but we'll try our best."

"Thank you so much!" you cry into the phone. Now to share the good news with Jiminnie! But...where is he? 

"Jandeeo City's just next on your list, the nearest City to Gondan," says Hoseok. "We'll meet at the amusement park there."

With that, the phone starts beeping and the call ends.

"Who was that?" Hakyeon asks.

"A...An acquaintance."

"Ooh-kay," Hakyeon lets out a breath when the both of you jump out of your skin as someone yells, "What the h*ll are you doing here?!"

You turn to find someone way taller than you, giving you a stern look. He's dressed in a flashy shirt with flashy pants and an even flashier belt.

"U-Uh..." How are you supposed to tell him you were trying to work your Pokephone?

"You doing some illegal thing behind my back?" the man spits. "I've no tolerance for evildoers."

"B-But--!"

"Y'know what? If you wanna prove yourself, you gotta beat me...in a Gym Battle."

"A Gym Battle? You're a Gym Leader?"

He hums in response, "Name's Konyeol. Gym Leader of Gondan City."

"Wait...do you have a brother?" Hakyeon suddenly asks, eyes widening.

"I knew you'd know my brother. Went up to Tower of Mastery long ago," Konyeol mutters. "Chanyeol was an idiot." You can sense the tension in the air. Some unspoken words, but you have no idea what.

"The past is the past," Konyeol says. "If you wanna prove you not an evildoer, you'd best be coming over to my Gym."

His Pokemon hisses, running over to you, making sure you aren't escaping. 

Heliolisk. Level 32. Type(s): Electric, Normal. Moves learned: Dragon Tail, Parabolic Charge, Volt Switch, Thunder Wave. Ability: Sun Veil. It stimulates its muscles with electricity, boosting the strength in its legs and enabling it to run 100 yards in five seconds.

***********************************************************************

"Here...is my Gym," Konyeol throws the door open and you gasp as you hear crackling. There is electricity everywhere, and there is an electrified ring in the middle of the Gym. The walls are just metal.

"You came from Bausn, right?" Konyeol says, throwing you something, which you catch. It's a wristband.

"Uh, yeah," you affirm.

"That means you must have beaten Raion, am I correct? And Aquon?" 

"Yeah," you nod.

"And you heard the news? Aquon's gone missing," Konyeol says, as if sounding done with the world.

Again, you nod in response. You clasp the wristband around your wrist.

"You fighting?" Konyeol points at Hakyeon, and the latter shakes his head vigorously. You shoot him a playful, betrayed look as his eyes twinkle.

"What type of battle style do you want?"

"Single."

"Each side is allowed three Pokemon," Konyeol explains the rules. "For my Gym, it's tournament-based. You have to square off against my disciples. Gondan City's big on masters and disciples. I've got three disciples. Good luck."

"Good luck," Hakyeon smiles, as you enter the wrestling ring crackling with electricity.

*************************************************************

Your first opponent doesn't seem too tough. He shows his three Pokemon at once.

Raichu. Level 29. Type(s): Electric. Moves learned: Iron Tail, Thunderbolt, Shock Wave, Charge. Ability: Static. This Pokémon exudes a weak electrical charge from all over its body that makes it take on a slight glow in darkness. Raichu plants its tail in the ground to discharge electricity.

Zebstrika. Level 29. Type(s): Electric. Moves learned: Spark, Flame Charge, Rest, Flash. Ability: Sap Sipper. They have lightning-like movements. When Zebstrika run at full speed, the sound of thunder reverberates.

Emolga. Level 29. Type(s): Electric, Flying. Moves learned: Acrobatics, Double Team, U-turn, Charge Beam. Ability: Static. The energy made in its cheeks' electric pouches is stored inside its membrane and released while it is gliding.

You make your decision and pick out your three Pokemon: Chim, Dish and Scatter.

"Raichu! Iron Tail!"

"Chim! Mach Punch!"

Chim moves like lightning, delivering a good punch straight to Raichu's face as Raichu's tail extends, coming up from behind Chim and stabbing it in the back, Chim doubling over and leaping away.

"Charge and Shock Wave!"

"Chim! Avoi--"

Chim screeches as it gets shocked, even in the air, and it plummets to the ground, health levels dropping to a dangerous level. Chim drags itself up and disappears, moving faster than the eye can see.

"Flame Wheel!"

Raichu looks around, left and right, as if Chim will be there, but you grin, knowing better. Chim launches itself down from when it's jumped into the air, cloaked in a coat of sizzling flames as it slams into Raichu, knocking it to the ground and the two begin tussling, Chim managing to dish out a few good Mach Punches and Raichu retaliating with averagely-aimed Iron Tail attacks.

It isn't long before Raichu is taken out and Chim is too tired to fight anymore, so the both of us switch our Pokemon out.

"Zebstrika! Flame Charge!"

"Scatter! Supersonic!"

Scatter releases ultrasonic waves, and Zebstrika stops in its tracks, the flames dying out from his body as it looks around in confusion. It is thrown into a frenzy as Scatter watches it obviously amazed and amused at its handiwork as Zebstrika continues to throw itself around, hitting the electric ring.

"S-Snap outta it, Zebstrika!" the trainer panicks as Zebstrika disobeys, still in its confused state.

"Draining Kiss!"

Scatter flies forward and attaches its mouth to Zebstrika's neck, the health levels out of it. Zebstrika crashes to the ground, spent. The trainer's next Pokemon jumps forward, teetch clenched.

"Let's see what you got!"

*********************************************************************

You huff and pant as you reach the final stage, where Konyeol enters the ring. He has five Pokeballs on his belt, his Heliolisk following closely behind him.

"Name's Park Konyeol," he says, standing firm.

"(Y/N)," you state. Dish walks forward, standing in front of you.

Konyeol sends out his first Pokemon and the brawl begins.

Manectric. Level 29. Type(s): Electric. Moves learned: Bite, Volt Switch, Thunder Fang, Snore. Ability: Lightning Rod. Manectric discharges strong electricity from its mane. The mane is used for collecting electricity in the atmosphere. This Pokémon creates thunderclouds above its head.

"Manectric! Thunder Fang!" 

Dish leaps away from the attack, surprisingly agile, as Manetric's fangs crash into the electric wire, electricity crackling loudly as Dish launches its own Sleep Powder attack, putting Manectric to sleep. 

"You can't attack now!" you grin triumphantly, and Konyeol smirks.

"You really think so? Manectric! Snore!"

Manectric snores, the volume of it damaging your eardrums as you cover your ears, the sound forcing you to your knees and even Dish has to stop attacking for a moment.

"Dish! Giga Drain!" 

Dish angles its flower at Manectric, and energy begins to be absorbed, little green lights floating from Manectric to Dish's flower, the flower eating the green spheres of light up like a hungry animal. At that moment, Manectric wakes up, and it lunges at Dish, catching Dish between its teeth.

"Bite!"

Dish flinches as it shakes Manectric off from it, allowing Manectric another turn as Konyeol shouts, "Volt Switch!"

Manectric hits Dish with an astounding Electric-type attack as it returns to its Pokeball, and another Pokemon is forced out.

Rotom. Level 30. Type(s): Electric, Ghost. Moves learned: Ominous Wind, Volt Switch, Reflect, Shadow Ball. Ability: Levitate. Its body is composed of plasma. It is known to infiltrate electronic devices and wreak havoc.

This Pokemon is way faster than Manectric can ever be, flitting here and there, spamming Ominous Wind, hitting Dish with every attack, until Dish's health is depleted and you have to send out your next Pokemon. Chim bursts out of its Pokeball, managing to grab at Rotom's ghostly arm and the two rolls around on the ground. Rotom blasts Chim with a Shadow Ball at point-blank range, causing Chim to hack and cough as it releases Rotom.

"Reflect!"

A barrier of psychic energy appears between Rotom and its target as Chim gets up, running up to the Rotom.

"Feint!"

Chim leaps up into the air and tries to hit the Rotom...

But Chim's arm passes through the Rotom. Chim lands on the electric fence and it cries out, getting the shock of its life. What in the world just happeend?

"Rotom! Finish it off! Shadow Ball!"

"Chim! Flame Wheel!"

Chim coats its body in fire as it jumps up, hitting Rotom before it can launch its Shadow Ball, punching it hard and Rotom lies on the ground, defeated.

"You're good," Konyeol nods at Heliolisk as you return Chim to its Pokeball. Heliolisk takes the stage, tail whipping about as electricity crackles from the frills on its neck. You gulp. You're down to just Scatter, but Konyeol still has Heliolisk and a weakened Manectric. You're not sure if you'd be able to take on both with only Scatter.

"Whatever!" you massage your temples as you send Scatter forward.

"Heliolisk! Thunder Wave!"

Scatter narrowly avoids getting hit by that wave of electricity as it flies upwards.

"Supersonic!"

Scatter lets out the same ultrasonic screeching sounds as Heliolisk snorts. 

"Supersonic may confuse the foe...but it has a low hit rate," Konyeol explains. "Fifty per cent chance of success. Heliolisk! Dragon Tail!" 

Heliolisk jumps on the fence, managing to reach Scatter, and slams its tail down on Scatter, bringing Scatter down to the ground and Scatter manages to flit away just in time, attacking Heliolisk with a Struggle Bug attack. Heliolisk retaliates with a Parabolic Charge, narrowly missing Scatter by a few centimeters.

"We can't lose!" 

You can almost hear Scatter's voice (if it ever had one) as it looks back at you, and you look straight into its eyes as it flies up again, high up in the air and it lets out the Supersonic sound waves everywhere in the Gym, until it hurts so bad you feel like you might just rupture your eardrums. 

Although Supersonic didn't give the intended effect, Heliolisk is stunned for long enough for Scatter to drive itself downwards and hit it with another Struggle Bug attack, effectively knocking Heliolisk out. It lands on the ground, panting. Scatter has no more energy left to face off Manectric.

You return Scatter to its Pokeball. Not good. All your Pokemon are at low health levels.

You bring out Dish again, Dish bursting out of its Pokeball, exhaustion written all over its face. Manectric is also tired and worn out, small fizzles of electricity flying from its mane.

"You think you're tough. I'm not done yet!"

Konyeol touches something on his wrist, a wristband embedded with a colorful stone. Something hidden in Manectric's fur begins to shine, blinding you as its form has changed. When the light has died down, you gasp. Manectric looks something really dfiferent now. It's mostly covered by its shocking yellow mane, and it looks even more fearsome than ever.

"This," he says. "Is the true power of a Gym Leader."

***********************************************************************

Hehehe :) 

You:

Mimi (Mimikyu). Level 30. Grudge, Disarming Voice, Moonblast, Shadow Ball

Dish (Gloom). Level 34. Giga Drain, Moonlight, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder.
Chim (Monferno). Level 30. Flame Wheel, Feint, Mach Punch, Cut
Scatter (Vivillon). Level 31. Draining Kiss, Aromatherapy, Supersonic, Struggle Bug
Floon (Drifblim). Level 27. Ominous Wind, Hex, Gust, Stockpile

Jimin:

Growlithe. Level 36. Retaliate, Flamethrower, Agility, Take Down
Serperior. Level 36. Growth, Leaf Blade, Mega Drain, Slam
Kricketune. Level 35. Slash, Sing, Screech, X-Scissor

Minun. Level 36. Swift, Spark, Fake Tears, Discharge.
Golbat. Level 35. Poison Fang, Swift, Air Cutter, Confuse Ray

*Moves used in the chapter
--Rock Slide. Used by Gurdurr. The user loosens rocks from the surroundings in a waterfall of rocks. Can hit more than one target.
--Ominous Wind. Used by Drifblim and Rotom. The user conjures up ghostly wind to attack the foe. Has a chance of raising all the stats.
--Dig. Used by Excadrill. The user digs into the ground and lands a surprise attack on the foe. Can be used to escape caves.
--Iron Tail. Used by Raichu. The user hardens its tail and slashes the foe.
--Mach Punch. Used by Monferno. The user punches the foe at extreme speed. This attack always hits first.
--Charge. Used by Raichu. The user gathers electricity from the air and boosts its electric attacks. Its Sp. Defense goes up.
--Shock Wave. Used by Raichu. The user discharges electricity into the surroundings. This attack cannot miss.
--Flame Wheel. Used by Monferno.
The user cloaks itself in a coat of fire and attacks the foe. May sometimes cause a burn.
--Flame Charge. Used by Zebstrika. The user cloaks itself in a coat of flames and rams into the foe. User's Speed goes up.
--Supersonic. Used by Vivillon. The user releases ultrasonic waves into the air and confuses the foe. Has a low hit rate of 50%
--Draining Kiss. Used by Vivillon. The user drains the foe of its energy.
--Thunder Fang. Used by Manectric.
The user bites the foe with an electric surprise.
--Sleep Powder. Used by Gloom. The user sprinkles powder onto the foe and causes it to fall asleep.
--Snore. Used by Manectric. The user snores and attacks the foe through its volume. This attack can only be used when Asleep.
--Giga Drain. Used by Gloom. The user drains the foe of its energy.
--Bite. Used by Manectric. The user bites the foe harshly. Foe may flinch.
--Volt Switch. Used by Manectric.
The user returns to the trainer after inflicting electric damage on the foe.
--Shadow Ball. Used by Rotom. The user launches a ball of ghostly energy at the foe.
--Reflect. Used by Rotom.
The user boosts its team's Defense.
--Feint. Used by Monferno. The user can hit the foe even if the foe is using Protect or Detect.

--Thunder Wave. Used by Heliolisk. The user inflicts Paralysis on the foe.
--Dragon Tail. Used by Heliolisk.
The user slams its tail onto the foe, sending it back to its trainer.
--Parabolic Charge. Used by Heliolisk. The user rams into the foe and drains it of its energy.
--Struggle Bug. Used by Vivillon. The user attacks the foe in a valiant struggle.