The Unexpected Partner

The Curse of the Mask

A/N: I'm so sorry updates are taking so long :( We've just got our holiday homework (and I've got an adventure camp next week haiz...)

***********************************************

"Do you think they'd be okay?"

"Most likely," Jeongguk nods as he looks back towards the Pokemon Center. In the morning, the disciples have gone to visit Jongdae in the Center. You had to leave, unfortunately, as Hoseok's call has come in, and he is already in Jandeeo. You shouldn't keep a person waiting.

You and Jeongguk board the first train to Jandeeo. You can't help but think back to that black and green Pokemon that the Pokedex has identified as Zygarde. A Dragon and Ground-type Pokemon. A Pokemon powerful enough to burrow through the ground and cause unexpected earthquakes.

Jimin, meanwhile, is still missing.

You rest your head on the wall of the train as the train continues along its path. You see Illumise and Volbeat dancing in the meadows, scattering pollen as they go. Skorupi and Gothita coming out to play. As you pass by a stream, you can even see Wooper and Wynaut.

Screech!

You jump from your seat as the train comes to a halt. Jeongguk looks just as shocked as you do, and he turns his head to look out the window, to find the cause for the disturbance.

"Look," you say, pointing to the tracks. You and Jeongguk rise from your seats and poke your heads out of the train. Something blue is blocking the path. Blue and big and has claws...actually, its tummy and face is white but still. Most importantly, something snoring.

Snorlax. Level 58. Type(s): Normal. Moves: Heavy Slam, Giga Impact, Belly Drum, Rest. Ability: Immunity. Snorlax's typical day consists of nothing more than eating and sleeping. It is such a docile Pokémon that there are children who use its expansive belly as a place to play.

"It's a Snorlax," you groan. From what you've heard, Snorlax are Pokemon that sleep all day, and that there's almost no waking them up. Will you have to continue the journey by foot?

"It's still a long way to Jandeeo," Jeongguk presses his thumb to his chin. "We'd have to get the Snorlax out of the way."

"How are we supposed to do that?"

"Hey, you!"

You and Jeongguk turn at the sound of someone shouting. It's the driver of the train! He walks over to you and Jeongguk with light steps as his Cinccino follows behind.

"You're trainers, aren'tcha?" he asks, Cinccino staring at the two of you warily. "You wanna do me a favour?" 

Obviously, he's going to ask you to remove the Snorlax from the path. You look at the Snorlax and wonder just how the h*ll do you do that? The Snorlax is at least ten times your size, so...

"Help me just this once, please?" you release Blu from its Pokeball, and Blu gives you its "You expect me to get rid of that thing" face. "Yes," you respond irritably. Jeongguk laughs at the side. "Use...um...Dragonbreath or something."

Blu smirks a little (you swear you saw it) and fires a beam of blue light at the sleeping Snorlax. Unfortunately for you, its tummy deflects the beam, sending the light skyrocketing into the stratosphere, never to be seen again. Blu scoffs and begins to walk away, but you return it to its Pokeball almost immediately.

"Who else...Dish is no good. I can't use Sleep Powder on the Snorlax! He's already asleep!"

"You could poison it," Jeongguk points out.

"And what? Wait for the poison to slowly get rid of it?" you retort.

"Alright, fine. We just have to wake it up." Jeongguk looks back at the driver, who gives you a bemused expression.

"What?"

"Your Cinccino...it knows Wake-Up Slap, doesn't it?" Jeongguk says, showing the man his Pokedex. "Think you can do use a favour?"

"If it gets the damn thing out of the way," the driver grumbles. "Cinccino, ya know what to do!" Cinccino runs forward, and with its fur, begins to launch a volley of slaps on the Snorlax's face.

And guess what? It wakes up in a rampage.

"Docile my *ss!" you scream as the Snorlax punches the ground, effectively knocking the train over. You hear shouts and screams coming from inside the carriage as the Snorlax roars, drumming its belly. It looks utterly hilarious yet dangerous at the same time and you're not sure whether you should laugh or be wary.

"Dish! Toxic!"

Acid sprays at Snorlax's body, poisoning the giant Pokemon, causing Snorlax to rage even more. Jeongguk sends out Meowstic, the cat Pokemon immediately releasing a psychic wave upon release, the wave reaching the Snorlax and causing it to screech, rushing forward at the two of you recklessly.

"Watch out!" Jeongguk leaps towards you and pushes you away, the two of you avoiding the incoming Snorlax.

Snorlax nearly crashes but it stops suddenly, turning back to face the two of you.

"It's too strong to defeat it," Jeongguk says. "Level 58. It's going to take a miracle...holy sh*t!"

The Snorlax roars out of not rage, but something more akin to pain. It's as if something has hit it from the side, causing the Snorlax to double up. Sparks of electricity fly from the small body...no, bodies, that has attacked the Snorlax. You manage to peer over the giant Pokemon's own form to figure out who is your saviour...

"Dedenne?!" you cry out as you realize the small Pokemon that has attacked the Snorlax is, in fact, the Dedenne that had belonged to Chanyeol. Dedenne smashes itself again and again onto Snorlax, enraging the Pokemon even more. There's something else, you notice. Something else that has electrical sparks flying form its body as well.

Charjabug. Level 35. Type(s): Bug, Electric. Moves: Spark, Charge, Bug Bite, String Shot.

Wow. Just wow. The thing looks like a rectangular box with legs, minus the electric bolts erupting from its body. You don't want to get near it when it's angry. 

However, much to your surprise, the Snorlax actually falls. Backwards into the forest. Crushing trees beneath it. You stare at the two Electric-type Pokemon. Dedenne and Charjabug approach the two of you.

"Why'd you follow us all the way out here?" you ask, and Dedenne nuzzles at your legs. "And who's your friend?"

Dedenne looks back at Charjabug, and the bug Pokemon moves over to Jeongguk.

"You want to follow me?" Jeongguk asks, squatting down and petting the bug on its head. Charjabug nods eagerly.

"What do you see in him?" you ask jokingly as Jeongguk slaps your shoulder playfully.

You bend down and size Dedenne up, wondering what name you should give it.

"Denne," you say, smiling. "Welcome to the team."

"Hey, you mind helping 'ere?"

You turn around to find the driver of the train and his Machamp trying to right the train. Well, oops. But it wasn't your fault anyways. It was the Snorlax. You sigh as you release Chim and Floon, while Jeongguk helps with Meowstic and Greninja. You manage to get the whole train upright and back on track, literally. 

"Hop aboard!" Jeongguk grins cheekily. Charjabug rides on his shoulder as the two of you manage to jump onto the train that has started moving. You watch as Denne sits on the railing of the train, watching the scenery as it goes by. You ruffle Denne's fur as you watch the city of Gondan disappear little by little from view.

*******************************************************

"Yes?" you pick up your ringing Pokephone.

"This is Hoseok," the voice comes from the other end. "You in Jandeeo? I saw the train arrive."

"Yep," you answer, looking around. "Are you here?"

You and Jeongguk are at the train station at the moment. You've only got down the train when Hoseok called.

"I'm outside the train station right now. With one of my friends. He's a little touchy, though. He might attack you out of nowhere...and I won't help, so..."

"Huh? What? Why? What?" you can only fire a ton of questions at Hoseok when the line goes dead. Sh*t. What? What did he mean by he won't help?

"So...?" Jeongguk gives you a questioning look and you shake your head.

"No good. Hoseok's supposed to be around here or something but..." the moment you and Jeongguk emerge from the train station, you see something flying high up in the air. You shriek and dive toward a nearby building as the something fires a beam in your direction. You hear civillans screaming and people running. You look back up at the thing--Pokemon--flying in the air. It's a Dragon-type, that's for sure.

"No way!" Jeongguk stares in horror as he recognizes the person standing on the Dragon-type. So it's not a wild Pokemon?

Dragonair. Level: 85. Type(s): Dragon. Moves learned: Hyper Beam, Outrage, Thunder Wave, Dragon Dance. Ability: Shed Skin. Dragonair stores an enormous amount of energy inside its body. It is said to alter weather conditions in its vicinity by discharging energy from its crystals on its neck and tail.

"He's the most powerful Elite Four," Jeongguk whispers as the Dragonair rests from the Hyper Beam. "Taehyung specializes in the Dragon-type, and he doesn't speak much. He's the most mysterious out of the four..."  You watch as the Dragonair stops firing Hyper Beams and is instead looking around...almost as if it's searching for something.

"I think...he's looking for me," you grit out. The Dragonair is not attacking anymore. There is something else atop the Dragonair now, besides Taehyung. A Furret? Suddenly, the Dragonair is charging towards you, almost as if it knows where you are.

"Run!" Jeongguk shouts, grabbing onto your wrist and leading you away from the Dragonair. The Dragonair crashes into the building and the concrete pillar collapses, bringing the building down with it. You look back at the Dragonair that is...suddenly right at your side!

"I see you," Taehyung whispers, mouth barely moving. Your eyes widen as Dragonair beams the road in front of you, leaving you and Jeongguk stranded. You've no choice but to fight...but against an opponent with a Pokemon higher than level 80? Close to impossible to win.

"Denne!" You bring out your newly acquired Pokemon, Denne, from its Pokeball. Denne flies out, electricity crackling in its cheek pouches. It manages to catch Dragonair off for a moment as Denne screeches, electrifying Dragonair with its Parabolic Charge, but it's as if Dragonair hasn't felt anything at all.

”Outrage."

Dragonair unleashes a flurry of attacks straight at Denne, slamming the small mouse to the ground. You quickly return Denne to its Pokeball, releasing Blu quickly. Meanwhile, you watch as Weavile manages to attack Dragonair successfully with Icy Wind, though Dragonair's health levels barely drop, according to your Pokedex anyhow.

"That's enough!"

Someone claps his hands and Taehyung stops attacking. You try to catch your breath as you wonder who was it that said that. You turn around and find Hoseok walking up to you, Flareon and Cyndaquil by his side. Jeongguk tenses, hand gripping tighter onto your wrist.

"They're just kids, Tae," Hoseok says, wrestling Taehyung down from Dragonair. Taehyung's face remains impassive. Blu hovers at your side, a little suspicious of this new character.

"They don't pass," Taehyung mutters as Hoseok introduces his friend, Taehyung, the Elite Four that specializes in Dragon-types. 

"Sorry about that," Hoseok says, scratching his head. "He sort of does this a lot. It's because he's rich and can pay for the repairs."

"It's fine," you say, although you don't think it really is.

"Glad you made it to Jandeeo," Hoseok smiles. "Tae'll settle the repair stuff and we can grab something to eat. We'll talk over food." 

"Are you the only two Elite Four here?" Jeongguk asks.

"Hmm, sort of. The Champ's got something on--he's a real good friend of mine, mind you--and the other two are just plain busy," Hoseok hums. "So it's just me, Tae, you and your friend. Come to think of it, where's your other friend?" 

You figure he must be talking about Jimin. "I don't know. We're trying to find him too."

"Ah, I see," Hoseok nods. "Well, you'll find him eventually. Oakre's only that big. Come on, I know a good place around here."

*********************************************************************

"Your sister's missing, I hear," Hoseok says. "And that's pretty much your incentive for starting your journey?"

"Yeah," you nod. "Acacia looks for legendary Pokemon as her job. It's dangerous, but I never thought she'd actually..." your voice trails off into nothingness.

"She'd actually disappear," Hoseok finishes the sentence for you. "Actually, you know what? There are many cases of missing people that have sprung up over the past few days. We believe it's kidnap, but by whom? We don't know." Taehyung says nothing as Hoseok continues. "So this is our proposal. You'll help us search for the missing people, and we'll do our best to find out what happened to your sister." 

You nod. It sounds like a deal to you. You turn to face Jeongguk, but Jeongguk is still staring holes into Taehyung.

"Great," Hoseok beams, clapping his hands. "I'll have to tell the Champ! If he's not busy as usual, that is. I swear, he always buries himself in his books." Hoseok chuckles, thanking the waitress when she comes by with your food. The four of you tuck in.

After eating, Hoseok decides it's probably best if the two of you explored the city for a while, and not to mention challenging the Gym Leader situated in Jandeeo City. That's when you realize that...

"OH FREAK!" you cry out. You've totally forgotten to challenge the Gym Leader in Gondan City in your haste to meet Hoseok! You'll have to go back later.

"Take this with you," Hoseok smiles. "HM02, Fly, allows your bird Pokemon to take you back to a city you've been to before. It should be easier than taking the train all the way back. You can only use the HM02 if you've beaten this city's Gym Leader, though."

You nod, thanking Hoseok for the useful information and HM, as he bids a goodbye to you, asking to meet up at the Jandeeo Amusement Park later. Jandeeo has an amusement park? Now wouldn't that be interesting! You and Jeongguk manage to get a room at the hotel in the area and the two of you set out to explore the city.

"They have so many boutiques here," you look around and all you see are boutiques left, right and center. Jeongguk nods in agreement. The city of Jandeeo is huge, with towering buildings and many shops to see, along with many people to avoid bumping into. It doesn't take you long before you find yourself standing in front of the building with the Gym symbol at its side.

"This is the Gym," you breathe and Jeongguk nods.

"We don't have to challenge her first," Jeongguk says. "We can do it later."

"Nah," you shake your head, turning your head to look at Jeongguk. "We should..." You spot something very familiar in the crowd. Puffy, brown hair you can recognize anywhere. Unfortunately, it just so happens that the figure saw you too, and is making a run for it.

"Wait!" you take off after the figure, jostling past people and barely turning back even when Jeongguk shouts. You know what you saw. You only have to catch up with him. You pant and puff as you push past the throngs of people streaming in and out from everywhere in the city. But Jimin is just too fast.

Mimikyu rides on your shoulder, the Pokemon looking out for Jimin as it speeds ahead, leaving a trail of purple light for you to follow.

You manage to follow Jimin to a more secluded place, with lesser people. You're right beside a street full of clubs and pubs. The dark, dank alleyway are places people usually don't go, unless they're making out or loitering around or something.

You seem to have lost Mimikyu as well, along with Jimin and Jeongguk. You release Dish from its ball, and you wander around aimlessly, wondering where you are at. You're hopelessly lost, and it doesn't look like you're in a good part of the city.

Something thumps and scares the hell out of you as you whirl around, to find a drunken man stumbling out of a pub. His clothes are torn, and he still has his beer bottle clutched tightly in his meaty hands. You duck behind a building, afraid of being spotted. Unluckily for you, the man's not-so-drunk Pokemon sniffs the air. The Krokorok quietly leaves its Trainer and starts walking towards you.

You gulp and Dish prepares itself for a fight. Why in the world did Krokorok leave its Trainer?

You don't have any time to react when Krokorok suddenly springs out of nowhere at you. Dish immedaitely releases a Sleep Powder attack, followed by a Giga Drain attack. You gasp as you realize the slurred voice of the man hums, wondering where his Pokemon is.

The Krokorok snaps its jaws at your clothes, specifically your bag, as if grabbing something.

"Hey!"

There's a commotion coming from the pub that the man just walked out from. You turn your head in that direction just as the Krokorok manages to snap your bag in half. Your Potions, healing items, Pokeballs, everything starts tumbling out in a mess on the floor.

"You haven't paid for your drinks yet!" another man whom you assume to be the bartender of the pub rushes out and shouts at the man holding the beer bottle, his Furfrou following close behind and seems to be as mad as his Trainer.

"Shut up!" The drunken man swings his beer bottle at the bartender. The bartender ducks, his Furfrou slamming itself into the drunken man.

It's only then that you realize the Krokorok is gone, and has something clutched in its jaws. It's your wallet!

"Hey! Come back!" You make a dash towards the Krokorok, who head butts the Furfrou, your wallet still in its mouth. It stands up to its full height and faces the bartender, dropping your wallet (covered with drool), at his feet. The bartender raises a questioning eyebrow. 

"That's my wallet!" You cry out.

"Your wallet?" he holds up the wet wallet.

"Uh...yeah," you nod. "He stole it from me!" You point at the Krokorok accusingly, while the Pokemon gives you a challenging gaze.

"Hmm, what's a boy/girl like you doing out here anyways?" the bartender mutters. "It's not safe out here for someone like you. You'd best be getting back home like the good kid you are. Now, here's your wallet, and shoo."

"T-Thanks!" You take the wallet, and wipe it free of drool, before you reach in and take out a few bills. "This should cover what he drank." It's really probably the largest sum of money you've ever paid in your life for anything. You sigh as you look back at your broken bag. You've left your things all scattered in that dark alleyway. You've got to go back for it.

The bartender nods, and you run back to the alleyway where you've just scattered all your belongings...only to find a giant, red, adventurer's bag in place of your belongings. Bemused, you go up to the bag. Is there a Pokemon inside waiting to surprise you?

You open the bag and get the fright of your life. You scream as Mimi flies out, scaring the hell out of you. You swear you see Mimi laughing its head off. 

"Not funny," you grimace as you pick the bag up from the ground and look at it. All your stuff are in there, in all the correct compartments, neat as ever. You look over at Mimi. "You didn't steal this, did you?"

Mimi stares at you indignantly, almost as if saying, You think I'd steal?

You laugh as you pick up the bag. "You must know who left this here, right?"

Suddenly, there is a ringing sound coming from your back pocket. You pick up your Pokephone and answer the call.

"Hello? This is (Y/N)," you say, and you hear Jeongguk's worried voice from the other end.

"Hey, (Y/N)! Where the h*ll are you?"

"Uh...in the middle of some alleyway," you reply. "It's a little...ah, I see you!" You do, in fact, see Jeongguk standing at the entrance to this dark district. You make your way over to him, Dish and Mimi following closely behind you.

"Why did you run off like that?" Jeongguk reprimands as the two of you head back to the Gym. You had almost found Jimin, but it looks like he's eluded you once again.

"I saw...him...Jimin..." you look around, hoping to catch another glance of the mop of brown hair. The number of people on the streets have lessened considerably.

Jeongguk shakes his head, "It could have been your imagination. Anyone can have brown hair. Even me." He points at his own head.

You laugh, and soon enough, the two of you find yourselves at the Gym. Having slept a while on the train, you don't feel as tired as you should. Instead, you stride boldly into the Gym. Upon entering the Gym, strong gales of wind greet you, almost blowing you away. You have to grab onto the railings (numerous railings seem to be strategically placed along the Gym walls) on the wall beside you to stop yourself from being blown away.

"Ah, are you a challenger?" someone walks up to you. You nod, asking if this is the Gym, in which he gives an affirmation. "It's been a while since we've had challengers. Leader Wyndie was getting tired." Apparently, this guy isn't flying off at all. Does his coat weight a ton or something? 

"Let me give you a hint. Leader Wyndie specializes in the Flying-type, if you can't already tell. Electric-type, Ice-type and Rock-type attacks do wonders against Flying-type Pokemon. Also...you have to partake in Sky Battles with various Sky Trainers in this Gym. Leader Wyndie herself is an amazing Sky Trainer," the man says, and you gulp. Sky Battles? The only two Pokemon you have that can partake in Sky Battles are Floon and Blu.

"Okay," you nod. Jeongguk, meanwhile, seems to be holding his ground well.

"Alright," the man flips a switch, and immediately, the wind begins blowing you upwards. "Let go of the railings and your challenge will begin!"

With a deep breath, you will yourself to let go.

*********************************************************

Your Pokemon:

Partner: **Mimikyu. Level 36. Moves: Grudge, Slash, Moonblast, Shadow Ball

Pokemon:

Dish (Gloom). Level 40. Moves: Giga Drain, Toxic, Moonlight, Sleep Powder
Chim (Infernape). Level 39. Moves: Torment, Cut, Flame Wheel, Close Combat
Scatter (Vivillon). Level 39. Moves: Draining Kiss, Bug Buzz, Supersonic, Aromatherapy
Floon (Drifblim). Level 40. Moves: Hex, Ominous Wind, Shadow Ball, Gust
Blu (Altaria). Level 36. Moves: Dragon Breath, Refresh, Take Down, Mirror Move
Denne (Dedenne). Level 39. Moves: Volt Switch, Parabolic Charge, Entrainment, Charm

Jeongguk's Pokemon:

Partner: **Charjabug. Level: 35. Moves: Bug Bite, Charge, String Shot, Spark

Pokemon:

Weavile. Level 41. Moves: Screech, Icy Wind, Snatch, Night Slash
Greninja. Level 39. Moves: Water Shuriken, Shadow Sneak, Faint Attack, Spikes
Rufflet. Level 40. Moves: Defog, Aerial Ace, Slash, Tail Wind
Gengar. Level 39. Moves: Shadow Ball, Night Shade, Dream Eater, Confuse Ray
Meowstic. Level 40. Moves: Disarming Voice, Charm, Reflect, Psyshock

Jimin's Pokemon:

Partner: **Lycanroc. Level: 45. Moves: Rock Slide, Hyper Beam, Crunch, Roar

Pokemon:

Arcanine. Level 47. Moves: Flare Blitz, Outrage, Crunch, Heat Wave
Serperior. Level 46. Moves: Coil, Leaf Blade, Giga Drain, Slam
Kricketune. Level 46. Moves: Night Slash, Bug Buzz, Sticky Web, Taunt

Minun. Level 45. Moves: Trump Card, Thunder, Agility, Baton Pass
Crobat. Level 46. Moves: Venoshock, Acrobatics, Haze, Mean Look

**Moves that this Pokemon can learn are not yet released. The moves they know here may be subject to change in future chapters.

Moves used in the chapter:

-DragonBreath. Used by Altaria. The user releases a beam of draconic energy at the foe. May paralyse the foe.
-Wake Up Slap. Used by Cinccino. The user slaps the foe multiple times. Will wake up Pokemon that are Asleep.
-Belly Drum.
Used by Snorlax. By cutting the user's health to half, the user has maximised its attack.
-Toxic.
Used by Gloom. The user launches poison at the foe to Badly Poison it.
-Psyshock. Used by Meowstic.The user sends a psychic wave at the foe.
-Parabolic Charge. Used by Dedenne. The user attacks the foe with electricity, and will drain the foe of energy.
-Spark. Used by Charjabug. The user rams into the foe with its electricity-covered body.
-Hyper Beam. Used by Dragonair. The user shoots a beam of concentrated energy at the foe.
-Foresight.
Used by Furret. The user makes it such that it can hit any foe.
-Outrage. Used by Dragonair. The user releases draconic energy as it attacks the foe. Will be confused after use.
-Icy Wind. Used by Weavile. The user sends wintry wind at the foe. May lower the foe's Speed.
-Sleep Powder. Used by Gloom. The user hits the foe with spores that make the foe fall Asleep.

-Giga Drain. Used by Gloom. The user drains a massive amount of energy from the foe.
-Crunch. Used by Krokorok. The user chomps down on the foe, sometimes causing the foe to flinch.
-Take Down.
Used by Furfrou. The user rams itself into the foe, causing recoil damage to itself.