The Next Trials

The Curse of the Mask

Image result for jongdae monsterFile:472Gliscor.pngFile:324Torkoal.png

Image result for yifanFile:615Cryogonal.pngVullaby

Image result for zitaoNinjaskMienshao

Image result for luhan selcaClefableImage result for pyroar female

*********************************************************************

"You're the second one?" you pant, grabbing your knees as you look at the man standing in front of you, whom you recognize as Jongdae, or Chen.

Chen nods. "I'm stronger than Kyungsoo is. I hope you're ready." He brings out two Pokeballs and releases his Pokemon. One has sharp claws and a razor-sharp tail, with black wings extending from its arms to its body. The other one is a Pokemon with a shell, and it looks really slow.

Your Pokedex and Jeongguk's beep. Both of you take it out simultaneously.

Gliscor. Level 40. Type(s): Ground, Flying. Moves learned: U-turn, Night Slash, Sand Attack, Taunt. Ability: Hyper Cutter. It observes prey while hanging inverted from branches. When the chance presents itself, it swoops!

Torkoal. Level 42. Type(s): Fire. Moves learned: Smokescreen, Body Slam, Curse, Flamethrower. Ability: White Smoke. Torkoal generates energy by burning coal. It grows weaker as the fire dies down. When it is preparing for battle, this Pokémon burns more coal.

You engage in battle with the Torkoal while Jeongguk handles Gliscor.

"Gliscor, Torkoal, do as you like." 

With that, Chen steps backwards and Gliscor and Torkoal dives at the two of you. You send out Blu and Blu nearly gets hit by Torkoal's Flamethrower attack. It dives upwards as the fire hits the ceiling, sizzling into sparks. Blu dives back down at the Torkoal in a Take Down attack.

"Blu! Mirror Move!"

Blu smirks at you and disobeys, instead using Take Down again and smashing its whole body into Torkoal, knocking the turtle Pokemon to the ground. Smoke billows from Torkoal's shell and envelopes the entire room, causing you to cough and hack as you try to keep a teary eye open as the battle continues. Torkoal's Smokescreen move is really effective.

You vaguely hear the sound of scuffling and slamming as the smoke clears. You see Torkoal managing to hit Blu with a Flamethrower attack. Blu slams against the wall by the force of the flame and Blu sustains a Burn. Its wings are smouldering and charred. Blu takes one look at its wings and snarls--actually snarls--at Torkoal, before raising itself up and it flashes a bright light. Its Burn status is instantly healed as it continues attacking, apparently having no intention of listening to whatever you're going to say. 

You see Blu narrowly dodging a Gliscor that comes flying towards you, knocked backwards by Meowstic's Disarming Voice. Blu takes advantage of the distraction and barrels down towards Torkoal in a Body Slam attack, hitting Torkoal full-on.

Torkoal hits the ground, defeated and you see Gliscor being defeated as well as Meowstic stands over it. 

Chen claps as he walks over, a Sandile huddled around his legs. You watch as he returns his Pokemon to their Pokeballs and puts them into a machine that starts whirring.

"Congrats," he nods, smiling as he picks up his Sandile. Two other Pokemon emerge from his quarters, Herdier and Bounsweet.

Herdier. Level 24. Type(s): Normal. Moves learned: Crunch, Work Up, Take Down, Helping Hand. Ability: Intimidate. It has black, cape-like fur that is very hard and decreases the amount of damage it receives.

Bounsweet. Level 20. Type(s): Grass. Moves learned: Leech Seed, Sunny Day, Razor Leaf, Grass Knot. Ability: Oblivious.

Just like with Mimikyu and Rockruff, there aren't any Pokedex entries on Bounsweet.

"Are they yours?" I ask as Chen squats down to pet both Herdier and Bounsweet.

"Herdier is," he says, a sudden sorrow filling his eyes. "But Bounsweet, Sweetie, isn't."

"Sweetie?"

"She's Chanyeollie's," Chen says. "At least, she was. Now she's without a trainer. I took her in. Most of us took one of Chanyeol's Pokemon to look after." 

He doesn't elaborate as Bounsweet and Sandile start running after Herdier who barks and runs back into Chen's quarters. You look back at Chen, but his demeanour has changed completely. His back is facing you, and it's probably a cue for the two of you to leave.

************************************************************

You arrive at the next floor after climbing a couple of steps (with Jeongguk teasing you about your physical ability of course) and you push the door open. You see someone standing there, his two Pokemon already ready to battle. An Ice-type and a Dark-type bird Pokemon.

Cryogonal. Level 42. Type(s): Ice. Moves learned: Slash, Light Screen, Reflect, Frost Breath. Ability: Levitate. They are composed of ice crystals. They capture prey with chains of ice, freezing the prey at -148° F.

Vullaby. Level 42. Type(s): Dark, Flying. Moves learned: Air Slash, Flatter, Foul Play, Payback. Ability: Big Pecks. Its wings are too tiny to allow it to fly. As the time approaches for it to evolve, it discards the bones it was wearing.

"Looks like Chen was too soft on you," the man named Yifan says, before his Pokemon start attacking and you're thrown into a battle. 

You release the first Pokeball you can find and Chim bursts out. Jeongguk sends out Weavile.

"Cryogonal, Light Screen and Reflect! Vullaby, Flatter!"

Two shield-like screens appear in front of Cryogonal and Vullaby. Chim uses Close Combat just as Vullaby uses Flatter. Vullaby shrieks as it is hit by the Close Combat attack and Scatter is hit by Flatter. Both of them are knocked back and hit the wall. You hear Weavile as it attacks Cryogonal, landing hard blows on the Ice-type.

"Chim! Flame Wheel!"

You watch as Chim gets up shakily from the ground and staggers about, body burning with flames and it tries to attack the wall.

"Chim!"

Vullaby dives forward and you have no choice but to switch Chim out to another Pokemon. Scatter bursts out from its Pokeball and takes the damage. It grits its teeth and surges forward, screaming out in a Supersonic attack. Vullaby hits the ground, and you're happy when you see that the Supersonic attack has hit well. Vullaby begins rushing around in a frenzy and hitting itself against the wall.

At least, until it rams into Cryogonal just as Cryogonal is supposed to be hit with a Night Slash. Both of them are sent sprawling into the wall. Vullaby is knocked out, but Cryogonal is not. It sends a Frost Breath towards both our Pokemon. Scatter is frozen, but Weavile brushes off the damage. Of course, Weavile is an Ice-type.

You switch Scatter out to Dish, and Dish uses Stun Spore upon release. The yellow powder flies over to Cryogonal and it suddenly slams against the floor, paralysed and unable to move. Weavile finishes it off with a Night Slash attack.

You grin at Yifan as he returns his Pokemon, a third Pokemon at his feet. A Quagsire.

"Is that yours?" I ask, remembering Chen's words.

Yifan shakes his head. "Chanyeol's." He places his Pokemon into the healing machine. "I'm taking care of it." Quagsire looks up at you and gives you the blank look that all Quagsire are supposed to have, but you can see that there's a deeper emotion behind its eyes.

Quagsire follows Yifan as he moves back to the door leading to his quarters, and permits you access to the next room.

"Chanyeol was a great man," Yifan says. "He was the strongest of us all."

With that, he enters his quarters and leaves you and Jeongguk to climb the tower.

*****************************************************************

You and Jeongguk climb to the next floor, where in front of the door hangs a word you cannot recognize. It's probably a language off Kanto or something. You walk in and find your next opponent in some kind of judo outfit or something. You watch as he stands up and two Pokemon come to his side. A Bug-type and a Fighting-type.

Ninjask. Level 38. Type(s): Bug, Flying. Moves learned: Swords Dance, Slash, Metal Claw, Giga Drain. Ability: Speed Boost. If Ninjask is not trained properly, it will refuse to obey the Trainer and cry loudly continuously. Because of this quality, this Pokémon is said to be one that puts the Trainer’s abilities to the test.

Mienshao. Level 45. Type(s): Fighting. Moves learned: U-turn, Drain Punch, Acrobatics, Dual Chop. Ability: Regenerator. It wields the fur on its arm like a whip. Its arm attacks come with such rapidity that they cannot even be seen.

"Mienshao! Acrobatics! Ninjask! Metal Claw!"

You and Jeongguk release your Pokemon: Floon and Rufflet. Floon takes the Metal Claw attack while Rufflet suffers from Acrobatics.

"Floon, Gust!"

Floon conjures up a gust of wind and sends it towards Ninjask. Jeongguk's Rufflet hits back in an Aerial Ace attack, managing to slam Mienfoo to the ground. Mienfoo gets up almost immediately and attacks Rufflet back with a Stone Edge attack, effectively knocking Rufflet out.

Jeongguk changes Rufflet out for Meowstic and proceeds with a Charm attack directed at Mienfoo. Floon coinjures up another wave of Gust and it hits Ninjask again and again. Ninjask suddenly Screeches, and Floon has to stop its attacks for a moment as Ninjask suddenly zips to behind Floon, hitting it with a Metal Claw attack. Floon tries to hit back, but misses as Ninjask flits to behind Floon again, hitting Floon with Metal Claw again and again.

"Ominous Wind!"

Floon's wind flies around the whole room, scattering papers, causing scrolls to fly up, things to overturn and fall. Zitao doesn't say anything as he throws an arm over his head to shield himself from the Ominous Wind. Floon watches as Ninjask falls back down on the ground.

Mienshao dives forward, catching Meowstic off guard as it unleashes a Bounce attack.

"Drain Punch!"

Mienshao executes both Drain Punch and Bounce, forcing Jeongguk to withdraw Meowstic and carry on with Greninja. Greninja counters with a Water Shuriken attack, firing towards Mienshao.

"Drain Punch again!"

Mienshao leaps towards Greninja, hitting it with the Drain Punch attack, absorbing Greninja's energy and landing a supereffective hit. Greninja uses a Shadow Sneak attack, sending its shadows about the ground and attacking Mienshao from behind.

Floon helps with Gust attacks aimed at Mienshao, at least, until Mienshao jumps up and Floon gets hit by Shadow Sneak while Greninja gets hit by Hex. Both Pokemon fall backwards and you are forced to switch Floon out since Ghost-type moves are good against Ghost-type Pokemon. You switch out to Chim.

Mienshao retaliates with a Bounce attack, that Greninja protects Chim against. Chim lunges forward and grabs hold of Mienshao, raining punches upon punches on it. You watch as Chim leaps off Mienshao, finishing its ministrations as it stands there, panting.

A bright light suddenly emits from Chim and you shield your eyes as the bright light engulfs the room. When it clears, you open them and see Chim in a whole new light. A wholly different form. A muscular ape covered completely with white fur an a burning flame atop its head. It stares at itself, apparently amazed by its new form as well.

Infernape. Level 38. Type(s): Fire, Fighting. Moves learned: Close Combat, Torment, Flame Wheel, Cut. Ability: Blaze. It tosses its enemies around with agility. It uses all its limbs to fight in its own unique style.

"You look cool," you nod to Infernape, and Chim smiles back.

"You're better than I expected you to be," Zitao nods, returning his Pokemon to his Pokeball. "You're allowed to heal once...both of you."

He lets you use his machine and you see your previously-fainting Pokemon gaining renewed vitality. You take your Pokeballs and let Jeongguk use the machine.

"What is that word on the front of your door?" you ask Zitao, and he gives you a hard stare. You squirm a little--it's almost as if you did something wrong.

"It means 'Pure'," Zitao says. "It was the language of an old civilization that has long since been torn down."

"Why 'Pure' though?"

"He was pure. Only a person with a pure heart can connect with his Pokemon so easily and sincerely," Zitao says. He looks towards the door, where a Ninetales is peeking through. The Ninetales retreats back into the room when it realizes that you and Jeongguk are staring.

"I'm working towards that purity," Zitao finally cracks a small smile at you.

He returns to his quarters, and you leave as well to the next level.

**************************************************************

The next level's door is covered with pink glitter, and you open it up and see the second most beautiful man you've seen in your life. At least, in your opinion...since Jeongguk's the most beautiful man you've ever seen in your life but shhh you're never going to tell him that.

You watch as the man looks over at you and smiles. His two Pokemon are already at his side: Clefable and Pyroar. Another Pokemon, Noctowl, stays by his side.

Clefable and Pyroar leap onto the battlefield, and you and Jeongguk send out your Pokemon: Dish and Gengar.

The man doesn't command his Pokemon, much like how Chen didn't comamnd his. The Pokemon simply know what to do and they fight.

Clefable. Level 44. Type(s): Fairy. Moves learned: Metronome, Mimimize, Light Screen, Psychic. Ability: Cute Charm. Clefable moves by skipping lightly as if it were flying using its wings. Its bouncy step even lets it walk on water. It is known to take strolls on lakes on quiet, moonlit nights.

Pyroar. Level 44. Type(s): Fire, Dark. Moves learned: Crunch, Flamethrower, Bulldoze, Taunt. Ability: Rivalry. The male with the largest mane of fire is the leader of the pride.

Pyroar spits fire at Dish, burning Dish and Clefable attacks first with a Psychic attack at Gengar. Dish uses Moonlight to restore a little of its health before it starts attack, spraying Sleep Powder all over Pyroar, putting Pyroar to sleep.

"Giga Drain!"

Giga Drain energy out of Pyroar, bit by bit, since Grass-type moves aren't effective against Fire-type moves.

"Let me take on Pyroar and you take on Clefable," Jeongguk whispers into your ear, tickling your ear. Dish and Gengar swap places, Gengar attacking with a Dream Eater attack and Dish uses a Giga Drain attack. Clefable attacks back with a Metronome attack, using Icicle Crash on Dish.

"Stun Spore!"

It's amazing how Dish can still withstand so many attacks. It keeps on fighting, even when you know it's tired. Dish attacks with the Stun Spore, paralyzing Luhan's Clefable. Clefable waves its finger, despite the paralysis, and it hits back with a Whirlwind attack.

Dish is switched out with Swablu, who doesn't look too happy to be there.

"Uh...Blu! Mirror Move!"

Okay, not that you were expecting Blu to listen to you, and it sure as hell doesn't, since Blu flies towards Clefable with the same irritated look that it has always given you, and it begins ramming itself into Clefable. Clefable tries a few more Metronome attacks, using moves such as Charge Beam and Seed Bomb, but they don't hit Blu at all, instead hitting the walls beside it.

Blu uses Mirror Move then, using back a Seed Bomb attack and it hits Clefable hard on the head, the seed splitting open and damaging Clefable heavily. Clefable is forced back as it uses a Light Screen attack against Blu's Seed Bomb. Blu keeps on attacking and attacking, hitting back at Clefable with whatever move it has used. Clefable suddenly becomes smaller, and you look around the tatami mats for it, wondering where in the world Clefable has gone.

You spot something pink moving about, running towards Blu, who is also looking around, turning its entire body restlessly. 

"Blu! Under you!"

Blu looks down and immediately drops down, swooping towards the ground in a Take Down attack. Clefable jumps to the side, dodging and firing off a Focus Blast, hitting Blu full-on. Blu hits the wall, and the glare it gives is enough to kill anyone in this room. Luhan's smile doesn't wane. Clefable continues attacking and attacking with Metronome, practically destroying the room especially with moves like Sandstorm and Dragon Claw.

Jeongguk, meanwhile, is faring better than you. His Gengar has already chipped off much of Pyroar's health, and that Sleep Powder had done both of you some good. Pyroar dives forward at Gengar in a Crunch attack, its fangs barely missing Gengar's arm as Gengar leaps towards the ceiling and then to the floor, hiding itself in Pyroar's shadow.

Something hard slams into you. The air is knocked out of your lungs as you tumble backwards, crashing heavily into the ground. You find cotton in your face as the blue blob is up and off again. It spirals forward in another Take Down attack, catching Clefable unawares and it drills into Clefable, sending both Pokemon almost into Luhan, who simply takes one step to the left to avoid the disaster.

Blu is standing over the defeated Clefable, panting and with wounds all over its body. You're so happy you can run over and hug Blu, but at that moment, another bright light engulfs you, much like the one that happened when Chim evolved. Just as you predicted, Blu has evolved to an even bigger and seemingly more powerful form--it's body is still the same shade of blue, and it's covered in way more cotton now.

Altaria. Level 35. Type(s): Flying, Dragon. Moves learned: Dragon Breath, Refresh, Take Down, Mirror Move. Ability: Natural Cure. Altaria sings in a gorgeous soprano. Its wings are like cotton clouds. This Pokémon catches updrafts with its buoyant wings and soars way up into the wild blue yonder.

Blu gives you a smug look as it walks over to you, snorting a little. You never thought such an elegant Pokemon can...hate you so much. Seriously, what did you ever do to it?

Gengar fells Pyroar and you see Luhan smiling again as he returns his Pokemon to his Pokeballs.

"Is Noctowl...?"

"It was Channie's Pokemon," Luhan confirms. "I'm taking care of it for now. It's really strong, thanks to Channie's training. The special thing is...is that Channie trains with his heart. You can see it in the Pokemon he's raised. He's even stronger than Suho because of his connection with Pokemon. But it was the same connection of purity that got him..." 

The unspoken words hang in the air, but Luhan dismisses them.

"You should go."

You can see the sparkling of tears at Luhan's eyes as he turns away, walking back into his quarters, as the Noctowl follows.

*************************************************************

You:

Partner Pokemon: Mimi (Mimikyu). Level 36. Grudge, Slash, Moonblast, Shadow Ball

Pokemon:

Dish (Gloom). Level 40. Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Giga Drain, Moonlight
Chim (Infernape). Level 38. Torment, Flame Wheel, Close Combat, Cut
Scatter (Vivillon). Level 38. Draining Kiss, Bug Buzz, Aromatherapy, Supersonic.
Floon (Drifblim). Level 39. Ominous Wind, Hex, Gust, Stockpile.
Blu (Altaria). Level 35. Dragon Breath, Refresh, Take Down, Mirror Move

Jeongguk (OUR BIRTHDAY BOY BTW)

Partner Pokemon: None

Pokemon:

Weavile. Level 41. Type(s): Ice, Dark. Screech, Night Slash, Icy Wind, Snatch
Greninja. Level 39. Type(s): Water, Dark. Water Shuriken, Shadow Sneak, Spikes, Faint Attack
Rufflet. Level 40. Type(s): Flying, Normal. Defog, Aerial Ace, Slash, Tail Wind.
Gengar. Level 39. Type(s): Ghost, Poison. Shadow Ball, Night Shade, Dream Eater, Confuse Ray

Meowstic. Level 40. Type(s): Psychic. Disarming Voice, Charm, Reflect, Psyshock 

Moves used in chapter:

Flamethrower (Used by Torkoal and Pyroar): The user launches a stream of flames at the foe
Take Down (Used by Swablu). The user attacks the foe by ramming into it. The user will suffer recoil damage.
Mirror Move (Used by Swablu). The user copies whatever move the foe last used.
Smokescreen (Used by Torkoal): The user engulfs the battlefield in smoke, impairing the foe's vision.
Disarming Voice (Used by Meowstic): The user cries out cutely, damaging the foe.
Body Slam (Used by Torkoal): The user rams itself into the foe, sometimes even causing Paralysis.
Light Screen (Used by Cryogonal): The user makes a shield around its team, reducing the damage of Special moves.

Reflect (Used by Cryogonal): The user makes a shield around its team, reducing the damage of Physical moves.
Flatter (Used by Vullaby): The user Confuses the foe and raises its Special Attack.
Close Combat (Used by Monferno): The user attacks the foe many times with punches. User's Defense stat is lowered.
Supersonic (Used by Scatter): The user attacks the foe with supersonic waves. Confuses the foe.
Night Slash (Used by Weavile): The user attacks the foe with sharp claws imbued with dark energy.
Frost Breath (Used by Cryogonal): The user breathes ice at the foe; this attack never misses.
Stun Spore (Used by Gloom): Yellow powder sprayed at the foe Paralyzes it.

Acrobatics (Used by Mienshao): The user attacks the foe, moving quickly with acrobatics.
Metal Claw (Used by Ninjask): The user attacks the foe with a metal claw.
Aerial Ace (Used by Rufflet): The user attacks the foe with a sharp claw or wing. This attack will never miss.
Stone Edge (Used by Mienshao): The user attacks the foe with stones rising from the ground.
Charm (Used by Meowstic): The user charms the foe, lowering the foe's Attack stat.
Gust (Used by Drifblim): The user attacks the foe with strong gusts of wind.

Screech (Used by Ninjask): The user lowers the foe's Defense. 
Ominous Wind (Used by Drifblim): The user attacks the foe with ghostly wind, sometimes even heightening all the user's stats.
Bounce (Used by Mienshao): The user attacks the foe by springing into the air and landing on them.
Drain Punch (Used by Mienshao): The user punches the foe and their energy.
Water Shuriken (Used by Greninja): The user launches 2-5 shurikens made of water at the foe.
Shadow Sneak (Used by Greninja)
: The user sends its shadow to attack the foe from behind. This attack always hits first.
Hex (Used by Drifblim): The user attacks the foe with ghostly energy. This attack is more effective if the foe is afflicted with a status ailment.

Metronome (Used by Clefable): The move used will be randomized if this move is used.
Psychic [Metronome] (Used by Clefable)
: A randomized move by Metronome. Deals Psychic damage to the foe.
Moonlight (Used by Gloom): The user uses the power of the moon to refill its health. 
Sleep Powder (Used by Gloom): The user sprays green powder at the foe, causing the foe to Sleep.
Giga Drain (Used by Gloom): The user drains a lot of energy from the foe.
Dream Eater (Used by Gengar): The user eats the dreams of Sleeping Pokemon, gaining sustenance from it and refilling their health.
Icicle Crash [Metronome] (Used by Clefable): The user fires off icicles at the foe and damages it.
Whirlwind [Metronome] (Used by Clefable): The user conjures up a strong wind to blow the foe away, either used to escape wild Pokemon or to force the foe to switch out. 
Charge Beam [Metronome] (Used by Clefable): The user fires a beam of electricity at the foe and damages it.

Seed Bomb [Metronome]  (Used by Clefable): The user fires off many seeds at the foe.
Mimimize (Used by Clefable): The user becomes small, raising its Evasion stat. 
Focus Blast [Metronome] (Used by Clefable): The user fires a blast of focused energy at the foe. 
Sandstorm [Metronome] (Used by Clefable): The user conjures up a Sandstorm and it will damage all Pokemon that is not Steel, Rock or Ground-type.
Dragon Claw [Metronome] (Used by Clefable): The user attacks the foe with concentrated draconic energy in the claw.
Crunch (Used by Pyroar): The user bites down on the foe, causing the foe Dark damage.