The Deadly Cave

The Curse of the Mask

You're up earlier than Jimin, the streets still empty. You're sure he was definitely mad at you about something, but you have no idea what. Deciding that perhaps you should make it up to him, although you're not very certain what you did wrong. Making breakfast may be a good choice. You decide to head down to market to find good stuff to cook.

You reach the market (it wasn't a long way) and you find yourself looking at all the different vegetables and fruits and spices the market stalls have on display. Spices can range from anistars to seaweed, to chili leaves and even onion slices. Fruits on display are pears, apples, oranges, blueberries and basically anything. You can see a wide array of vegetables, from potatoes to spinach, to lettuce and cabbages. These aren't exactly the best things to cook for breakfast, though.

But Jimin likes baked potatoes. Be it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

So there, you find yourself heading back to the room (Dish giving you a suspicious look) to help cook breakfast for Jimin. By then, Chim has already woken up, prancing around the room and bouncing up to you when you arrive back. Mimi, Mimikyu, is floating in the corner beside your bed, where it has been stationary the entire night. Floon, Drifloon, has somehow floated all the way to the top and is staying there, still sleeping. Scatter is also up and about, its blue wings flitting here and there as it rests on your bed.

"Right, I need help to make these baked potatoes..." you look down and see Growlithe standing there, nudging your leg.

"You wanna help too? Honestly, I have no idea what made Jimin mad..." you bend down and pet his head. Growlithe gives you a worried look but nods.

"Okay, let's get to it!"

*************************************************************************

You hear a groan coming from Jimin as he wakes up to the rays of sunlight shining onto his face. He opens his eyes and literally screams as he becomes momentarily blind. He yelps as he sits up, still covering his eyes with his arm.

"What are you doing?" he opens his eyes, blinking a few times, looking over in your direction. "And is that...baked potato I smell?"

"Yup," you grin, and wave the plate of potato in front of his face. You see Jimin practically salivating as you whisk the plate away. "Go bathe and get ready first."

Jimin gives you a small pout as he gets up to use the bathroom to shower.

You take your own potato out of the oven and you set it down on a plate, blowing lightly at your fingers when you are sure you almost burned them. You set the table, and you help pour the Pokemon food onto separate plates for your Pokemon to dig in first. They eat their breakfast deliciously just as Jimin emerges from the bathroom, hair wet and dripping as he wipes it with a towel, matted with water. 

"Come on," you jab your finger at the baked potato. "Your favourite."

Jimin nods as he walks over to the table, towel still hung around his neck as he digs into his potato, almost crying out when the hot potato touches his tongue. He waves a hand frantically, as if trying to fan his tongue, wheezing into his hand. 

"Hey, are you okay?" you ask after your fit of laughter. "It just came out of the oven. Of course it's hot."

"Well, I didn't expect it to be that hot," Jimin protests cutely, and he tries again, this time being more careful.

You and Jimin then have a silent breakfast, you looking up at him once in a while, and you find him staring back at you, but he dips his head, pretending to be engrossed in eating his breakfast. When you're finished, he helps you wash the plates, which you don't mind, since you cooked anyways. Your Pokemon helped too.

"Where to next?" Jimin asks, as the two of you set off again.

You hadn't had a chance to ask Aquon about your sister. You decide to head into his Gym, but you are stopped by Clyde, the helper for the Gym.

"Aquon isn't in today," he tells you, and you give him a funny look.

"Huh? Why?" you ask.

"He hasn't been around since yesterday night," Clyde sniffs.

That's odd. Aquon should have returned to the Gym since Jeongguk said he still had a Gym Leader to challenge just yesterday night.

"But I found a badge is missing," says Clyde, scratching his head. "From the Gym Leader's stash."

"A missing badge?"

"Someone must have stolen it," Jimin concludes.

"Well, none of your business," says Clyde. "Run along now."

"I'm not a kid," you huff as you and Jimin make your way towards the train station, past the abandoned Colisseum. You take one last look at the place, Drifloon floating beside you, as you continue your walk towards the station.

The station is giant, with people running to and fro trying to get to work. You and Jimin purchase your tickets at a ticket machine and you wait at the platform for the next train to Gondan. According to Jimin had his Book of Places in Oakre, Gondan has a Trainer School and...even better, the Tower of Mastery is just up Mt. Crescent, and it is said that there, you can learn the secrets of Mega Evolution, something you really want to learn.

You wait, sitting on the green benches on the platform, and you fidget uncomfortably with the hem of your shirt. Dish is sitting beside you, the foul odour emitted from its mouth causing your nose to scrunch, but you deal with it. It's Dish after all, just looks different and...smells way different than you had expected it to.

Chim is perched on the seat beside you, the flame on its tail flickering as it flicks its tail here and there.

Someone nudges you, and you turn to see Growlithe with its tongue out, before assaulting you with . You laugh, pushing Growlithe off you and you notice Jimin standing over you with a bar of chocolate and of caramel chocolate Politoed. You take one of it as he sits down beside you, unwrapping his own caramel Politoed.

Something just nags at you at the back of your head. Aquon has gone missing since last night...was that around the time we went to the Colisseum? But Jeongguk said that he went back safely...

"Maybe he got assaulted on the way back...then kidnapped," Jimin suggests, and you realize you've said everything out loud.

"And a badge went missing...I can't help but think that they're related somehow."

"Don't worry about it. I think it'd be reported to the Police Department anyways," Jimin says, munching on his chocolate, getting sticky caramel all over his mouth.

You look down at your chocolate Politoed as you take a tentative bite, fearful of the future to come. You're still surviving on the decent amount of money you rake in through battling Trainers, so money isn't an issue. But...so far you've yet gotten any leads on Acacia's case. You're not even sure you trust Hoseok...he might not even give you a call.

The train arrives, bumbling down the tracks and it comes to a clean stop, just before bumping into the wall. You and Jimin climb on board, Jimin holding out his hand to help you into the carriage, almost like a real gentlemen. All Pokemon are required to be kept in Pokeballs except Partner Pokemon, so you move into your seat, sitting with Mimi while Jimin sits alone.

You look outside the train during the ride, watching forests and Pokemon passing by, and you see the giant Mt. Astro on the way. You didn't even notice that you're pressing your nose so close to it that's touching the glass. You look back to find Jimin staring at you again, but he catches himself and pretends to be playing with his Pokedex.

The train ride doesn't take too long, and you arrive in Gondan in before noon. When you walk out, you are immediately greeted by the giant landscape, the mountains that stretch for miles, the small houses built neatly along a dirt path, presenting to you Gondan City. You watch as a few children pass by, obviously finished school. Children who are obviously preschoolers as they follow their Pokemon home.

That must be the Trainer School, you think as you notice a giant building you're standing in front of. It's made of brown bricks, and the bell on the top starts ringing, signalling either the end of school or a change of classes. You watch as more children walk out, elementary school kids with their Meowth, Cleffa and Magby as they head back home.

Something bumps into you suddenly, knocking you over. You fall onto the ground without so much as a scream, and you look up immediately to see what it is. A Rockruff is standing over you, obviously judging you and in a hurry as it runs away at top speed.

"HEY! SOMEONE CATCH THAT ROCKRUFF!"

You turn your head to face the noisy person, realizing that the person shouting is a young man of about twenty-four as he points to the Ekans. He looks down at you, offering a hand to pick you up as he apologizes over and over again for the behaviour of his Pokemon.

"I don't know what even happened," he mutters. "Rockruff is usually well-behaved...but sometimes it throws fits. Please! Help me get him back!"

"Uh...okay," you promise. It's not like it's a crime to help someone.

"Thank you so much!" he flashes you a smile. "My names Jaehwan. Lee Jaehwan. I'm a teacher in Gondan's Trainer School." He gives you a genuine and grateful smile as you run off, after that Rockruff. You vaguely hear the Rockruff barking as it pounds the pavement, and you after it. The Rockruff barks as it runs, and when it notices you on its tail, it stops and spins around, barking as the pavement breaks apart, the cobblestones flying into the air, hurling themselves at you in a Rock Blast attack.

"Get back, (Y/N)!"

Jimin's Servine rushes forward and with Leaf Tornado, the rocks are either blown away or cut apart by the sharp edges of the leaves. You continue the chase, realizing you're further from Rockruff than you were a while ago.

"Chim!" You watch as your Monferno jumps onto your shoulder. There's only one way to catch that Rockruff now! "Go!"

Chim launches itself off you, using you as a launch pad as it dives forward...

And misses.

Chim falls to the side, grabbing onto Rockruff's hard fur as it runs, and you skid to a stop when you realize you're directly outside a cave, Rockruff pulling Chim inside.

"Wait!" Jimin grabs your arm, and you turn back to look at him.

"What? Chim ran in there!"

"That's Mt. Crescent," Jimin breathes, trying to catch his breath, his Growlithe at his feet, panting as well.

"So? He ran in there with Chim! Plus, I promised someone I'd help them!"

You break free from Jimin's grasp and you run in, calling for your Pokemon's name.

**********************************************************************

You run as far into the cave as you can get, darkness surrounding you. You have no flashlight, no nothing, and not even Chim's with you. You've lost him somewhere long ago. The only comfort you have is that Mimi is still beside you, resting in your shoulder. Your eyes get adjusted to the dark and you scream as you notice the rock wall right in front of you isn't one. Rather, it's an Onix!

The Onix screeches, and you fall backwards. Mimi rises up and shoots a Shadow Ball, the sphere of ghostly energy landing on Onix's head, chipping the rock of its body and the Onix screeches again as it initiates a Rock Slide attack, the rocks all around you break off, the stalactites falling around you, a few narrowly missing you by an inch.

You can hear the Onix tunneling down the path away from you, and you're glad you don't have to resort to violence that easily. You huff, trying to catch your breath. However, as you look around you, nothing is as it seems. The Onix's Rock Slide has created a maze of stalactites around you. You're not going to get out as easily as you think you would.

Coupled with no light at all, all you can do is use the wall to feel your way out. You keep your ears open for any sorts of sounds, and sometimes you can hear the crunching of rocks beneath your feet. You've walked a pretty far way, and your legs are getting tired, but there's still no sign of civilization. 

Starting to feel a little panicked, you start running, Mimi trailing right behind you as you make your way through the cavern. You hear footsteps. Not your own. Other people's. There's someone else in the cave! You walk and walk, and finally, finally, you see light reflecting off the walls of the cave. 

It's coming from a lamp, and you call out to the person holding the lamp.

"HEY!"

The cavern shakes. You stop and stare at the person who happens to have seen you and is walking towards you, holding the lantern out in front of him shakily. Maybe he isn't as brave as you think he is.

"Hey! Over here! Can you help me?"

You watch as the man comes into view, and he has dirt on his face, cuts on his arms as his Wormadam trails beside him.

"Who-Who're you?" he asks, keeping a safe distance from you. 

"Uh...I'm (Y/N)," you introduce yourself. "What's your name?"

"You're not a Ditto, right?"

"Why would I be a Ditto?"

"Mt. Crescent is home to Ditto," the man says, and shakes your hand, but he seems tense, guarded. "They usually take the shape of a wayfarer, and it's said that whoever comes in and meets a Ditto will never get out." He shivers at the last part. His Wormadam seems frazzled also, shaking. 

"Relax, I'm not a Ditto." You take a look at your Pokedex, which is beeping.

Wormadam. Level 32. Type(s): Bug & Grass/Ground/Steel. Moves learned: Psybeam, Harden, Confusion, Rock Blast. Ability: Anticipation. When Burmy evolved, its cloak became a part of this Pokémon's body. The cloak is never shed.

"Well, I guess we're both kind of lost here..." the man laughs lightly, trying to lighten the mood. "My name is Hakyeon. Cha Hakyeon. Nice to meet you."

"I'm (Y/N)," you nod, shaking his hand. "Nice to meet you too."

"Well, (Y/N), what are you here for? The Tower of Mastery?"

"Not really. I met some guy in Gondan City who asked me to help him find his Rockruff, which ran off, so I guess I'm here for that," you explain. "And why are you here?"

"Actually, I'm the Tower of Mastery's master's disciple," he says. "He told me to get some supplies from Gondan City, but I've never been out of the tower in ages, so...I'm lost."

"Ah," you nod. "Well, let's try to get out, hmm?" You're both kind of lost and it isn't exactly reassuring that this guy can be another Ditto, but from his fear and sincerity, you can conclude not. Still, it's best to be on your guard.

You and Hakyeon move rocks (he has a Diggersby that knows Strength), pass through tiny caves, and cross crevices with the help of Scatter and Floon.

You still have no idea where Rockruff and Chim is, and you're beginning to feel hopeless when suddenly, you hear a crash behind you. You jump out of your skin as you whirl around, finding Hakyeon lying on the ground, unconscious, with blood flowing from his head. You gulp as you see a shadow standing behind him, holding something high above its head, as if going to smash down on Hakyeon again. 

"Floon!"

Floon rushes forward, launching an Ominous Wind at the Pokemon. You watch as the Pokemon comes into view, heaving its steel beam in one arm.

Gurdurr. Level 34. Type(s): Fighting. Moves learned: Rock Slide, Bulk Up, Chip Away, Wake-Up Slap. Ability: Guts. This Pokémon is so muscular and strongly built that even a group of wrestlers could not make it budge an inch.

The Pokemon turns its attention to you, and it steels itself, preparing for resistance.

"Scatter, use Aromatherapy and protect Hakyeon," you instruct, and Scatter looks indignant for a second, before it moves over to Hakyeon.

"Floon, Stockpile!"

Floon obeys, growing giant in size.

"Gust!"

Wind blows from behind Floon, moving at such high speed that it cuts into Gurdurr's skin as Gurdurr falls backwards, hitting its back on the ground. Suddenly, Floon starts shaking, as bright light bursts from it and it sheds it previous skin, breaking out and becoming a bigger form.

Drifblim. Level 27. Type(s): Ghost, Flying. Moves learned: Ominous Wind, Stockpile, Hex, Gust. Ability: Aftermath. It’s drowsy in daytime, but flies off in the evening in big groups. No one knows where they go.

***********************************************************************

Hihi I hope you enjoyed it!! Yep Jaehwan and Hakyeon makes an appearance! Hope you're happy now! :3 

You:

Partner: Mimi (Mimikyu). Level 30. Grudge, Disarming Voice, Moonblast, Shadow Ball

1) Dish (Gloom). Level 31. Mega Drain, Stun Spore, Moonlight, Sleep Powder
2) Chim (Monferno). Level 26. Feint, Cut, Flame Wheel, Mach Punch
3) Scatter (Vivillon). Level 31. Draining Kiss, Struggle Bug, Aromatherapy, Supersonic.
4) Floon (Drifblim). Level 27. Ominous Wind, Stockpile, Hex, Gust

Jimin:

1) Growlithe. Level 32. Retaliate, Flame Burst, Agility, Take Down
2) Servine. Level 31. Growth, Leech Seed, Mega Drain, Slam
3) Kricketune. Level 30. Slash, Sing, Leech Life, X-Scissor
4) Minun. Level 30. Swift, Charge, Fake Tears, Discharge

*Moves used in the chapter:

--Rock Blast. Used by Rockruff. The user blasts rocks at the foe in quick succession.
--Leaf Tornado. Used by Servine. The user launches a tornado of leaves at the foe, the leaves cutting into the foe.
--Shadow Ball. Used by Mimikyu. The user launches a sphere of dark energy at the foe, dealing damage.
--Rock Slide. Used by Onix.
The user forces rocks to fall from above, hitting the foe.
--Strength. Used by Diggersby. The user uses great strength to attack the foe. This may also be usd to move boulders.
--Stockpile. Used by Drifloon. The user buffs itself up, improving its Defense and Special Defense.

--Gust. Used by Drifloon. The user summons wind and attacks the foe.