The Challenging Finals

The Curse of the Mask

"Hmm?"

You nearly bump into someone as you rush up the stairs, scaring the h*ll out of you. You mutter an apology to the man, and he smiles, dismissing a hand. Okay, when you actually look up at him, he actually looks sort of good-looking. He has bangs that fall to his eyes, and he looks to have a Medicham following behind him.

Medicham. Level 60. Type(s): Psychic, Fighting. Moves learned: Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Calm Mind, Detect. Ability: Telepathy. Through the power of meditation, Medicham developed its sixth sense. It gained the ability to use psychokinetic powers. This Pokémon is known to meditate for a whole month without eating.

"Ah, I've never seen you before," the man says, grinning. "What's your name?"

"U-Uh...(Y/N). Nice to meet you," you say a little lamely, feeling especially bad when the man looks like he's trying to stifle a laugh.

"No, no, it's cute," he says, winking. "Name's Jongin, or you can call me Kai for short. Are you challenging this tower?"

"Yeah," you nod, giving a silly smile as you scratch your head absentmindedly.

"Well, Sehun's said to be the strongest, but well, honestly I thought Baek would be surpassing him and Yixing already. Just be prepared," Kai gives you another breathtaking smile before heading down the tower with his Medicham. Wondering who in the world he is, you feel Jeongguk's hand on you and he shakes his head.

"He's strong, don't mistake him for otherwise," Jeongguk says, looking a little uncertain. You sense some emotion in those words...something foreboding. You shake it off nevertheless, and you and Jeongguk continue moving up the tower.

********************************************

"Ah, that's quick," the next person says, and he's standing there with his two Pokemon: two Dragon-types...this'll be a hard battle.

Druddigon. Level 44. Type(s): Dragon. Moves learned: Dragon Rush, Dragon Claw, Strength, Scary Face. Ability: Rough Skin. It warms its body by absorbing sunlight with its wings. When its body temperature falls, it can no longer move.

Gabite. Level 44. Type(s): Dragon, Ground. Moves learned: Dragon Claw, Dig, Stealth Rock, Bulldoze. Ability: Sand Veil. It loves sparkly things. It seeks treasures in caves and hoards the loot in its nest.

Both Pokemon don't move, seemingly awaiting your first move as you send out Scatter. Jeongguk sends out Weavile. Weavile's Screech starts off the battle, lowering the Defense stat of Druddigon. Druddigon rushes forward and attempts to hit Weavile, but Weavile dodges the attack by diving backwards, feet tapping against the wall and it launches itself off, conjuring ice as it flies back to Druddigon, smacking the dragon in a bout of Icy Wind and Night Slash.

Meanwhile, Scatter gets hit by Gabite's Dragon Claw attack and quickly screeches out loud in a Bug Buzz attack. Gabite dives into the ground to avoid the attack, Digging through the ground. You can see where Gabite is where the ground is slightly raised and it's making its way quickly to Scatter. Scatter's antenna are already twitching, preparing for a Supersonic attack.

But Gabite turns at the last moment, heading straight for Weavile.

"Jeongguk! Watch out!"

Jeongguk turns his head and notices the pile of raised ground coming towards Weavile and Weavile leaps just as Gabite does, Gabite's claw just barely able to reach Weavile as Weavile hits the roof, using gravity to its advantage and pushes Gabite into Druddigon's line of action, sending both Dragon-types crashing to the ground. Druddigon picks itself up immediately, crashing itself against Weavile in a Dragon Rush attack.

Druddigon roars, running straight towards Weavile as Jeongguk switches Weavile out into Rufflet. 

Druddigon stops in its tracks as someone lets out a shrill shriek. You thought it was you, until you realize your mouth isn't even open. It's obviously not Jeongguk either so...

Minseok is staring at Rufflet in pure shock and fear and the mere sight of the bird has sent him cowering against the wall. Druddigon is obviously confused at his own trainer's fear.

"G-Get it away from me!" Minseok cries, covering his face with his hands and turning away.

You nearly burst out into laughter, managing to stifle your giggles behind your hand. Now you have an idea where that scar on his forehead has come from.

Druddigon takes it as a cue to attack and tries to attack Rufflet with punches, the muscles bulging in Druddigon's arms, but Rufflet is fast and it flies over to Minseok, scattering blue and white feathers everywhere.

Gabite nearly manages to hit Rufflet with a Dragon Claw attack but...

Rufflet flies out of the way and Gabite smacks Minseok across the chin. As soon as it happens, the room becomes silent. All fighting as stopped. The only sound is when Minseok's body hits the wall and Rufflet fluttering its wings to land over on Jeongguk's shoulder, looking really guilty.

"A-Are you okay? Scatter! Aromatherapy!" A sweet scent fills the air and well, you can say the battle ends short. You rush over to his side, along with the battered and bruised Gabite and Druddigon, Gabite looking both horrified and terrified.

"Ah...I'm okay," Minseok holds a thumbs-up. "Wouldn't have said the same thing if it wasn't Gabite or Druddigon." 

Minseok smiles as he stands up, leaning on Gabite's arm for support. He looks towards Gabite and rubs its head affectionately. "It's alright. It wasn't your fault." Gabite looks like it's on the verge of tears. 

He rubs the area where Gabite has struck him, and something appears from the door leading to Minseok's quarters. A Scizor.

"They didn't hurt me," Minseok tells Scizor as he stands up straight. You watch as Minseok nods, "You're strong, I guess. You can advance to the next level...but Baek isn't easy to defeat." 

Scizor shoots both of you a hard glare before you decide to make your leave and head upwards to the next level, where Baekhyun is waiting.

********************************************************

He has flowery-pink hair, and his Pokemon are standing beside him, solemnly. The look he gives you when you enter is sad, the sorrow in his eyes so overwhelming.

"Milotic...Aromatisse." 

The two Pokemon beside him quickly leap forward, launching their attacks. You barely have time to send out Blu before Milotic hits with a Hydro Pump. Blu suffers a hard hit, but manages to fire back with a Dragonbreath.

Jeongguk's Meowstic is taking some damage from Aromatisse too, Hyper Beam managing to catch Meowstic straight in the chest. Jeongguk switches Meowstic out for Gengar. Gengar launches a Shadow Ball that Aromatisse dodges and Aromatisse dashes forward, catching Gengar with a Moonblast attack.

Milotic. Level 50. Type(s): Water. Moves learned: Dragon Tail, Hydro Pump, Blizzard, Safeguard. Ability: Marvel Scale. Milotic live at the bottom of large lakes. When this Pokémon’s body glows a vivid pink, it releases a pulsing wave of energy that brings soothing calm to troubled hearts.

Aromatisse. Level 50. Type(s): Fairy. Moves learned: Moonblast, Psychic, Charge Beam, Hyper Beam. Ability: Healer. It devises various scents, pleasant and unpleasant, and emits scents that its enemies dislike in order to gain an edge in battle.

The moment Jeongguk shuts the Pokedex is the moment a horrible stench is smelled, sending you, Jeongguk and your Pokemon reeling back. What's up with that stench?

Gengar braves the stench and uses Confuse Ray, sending a ray of glowing light towards Milotic. You can almost see the cuckoo-birds flying around Milotic's head as it begins ramming itself into the wall. That's one down! You smile despite the stench but you watch as Baekhyun stares you down wordlessly. From the look in his eyes, there's something up his sleeve that you cannot begin to guess.

Gengar yelps as it gets hit by something. Blu launches a Dragon Breath in a frenzy, hitting Aromatisse that shrieked and it fires back a beam of electricity, hitting Blu's wings. You switch Blu out with Dish and Sleep Powder is launched at where Baekhyun's Pokemon are, the green powder scattering and forces both Pokemon to sleep.

"Milotic, Blizzard."

Baekhyun says it so emotionlessly that you wonder if he's even putting his heart into this battle at all. A cold blast of icy wind cuts into your skin as you watch Dish get knocked out. Why's Milotic awake?! What happened? You throw out your next Pokemon: Scatter.

"Aromatisse's ability is Healer," Jeongguk says, his Pokedex open again. "It can heal the health and status ailments of an ally."

So status ailments aren't going to help us here, huh? "Scatter, Bug Buzz!"

Milotic deflects that attack and it comes straight for Scatter. Gengar leaps forward for a Night Shade attack, catching Milotic off guard as it gets hit, screeching out loud.

"Charge Beam!"

A beam of electricity flies towards Gengar, striking it and bringing it down. Gritting his teeth, Jeongguk switches Pokemon again: this time to Greninja. Greninja leaps about, dodging every single Charge Beam that Aromatisse fires at it. After a few times, Aromatisse is hunched over, tired from all the attacking.

"Charge Beam's PP is out," Jeongguk smiles a little at Baekhyun as he flashes the Pokedex screen at him. PP is the number of times a Pokemon can use a move until it is too worn out to use anymore.

"Hyper Beam!"

Greninja dodges that attack too and makes use of the opening, catching Aromatisse unawares with Water Shuriken.

Aromatisse faints, but not before restoring health to Milotic with its Healer ability. Baekhyun returns Aromatisse to its Pokeball and Milotic lashes out at your Pokemon again, hitting Scatter with a powerful jet of water--Hydro Pump. Scatter releases another Bug Buzz attack and Milotic gets hit.

"Greninja! Shadow Sneak!"

One last attack from Greninja takes Milotic out, its giant snake-like body crashing against the floor.

Baekhyun returns his Pokemon to his Pokeball and you watch as a Cradily helps him place the Pokeballs into a machine.

"Is that Pokemon...Chanyeol's?"

Baekhyun looks up at the mention of the name, face troubled. "Yes. Dilly-dally was...once part of Chanyeol's team."

"What happened?"

"Ditto," Baekhyun says simply, before turning back and walking into his quarters. Dilly-dally, Cradily, heads back with him after the healing is done. "Oh...and you can use the healing machine."

"Thanks," you utter as you walk over to the healing machine and place your Pokemon inside it. Just two more battles to go. You breathe a sigh as you walk up--onwards and upwards--with Jeon Jeongguk at your side.

******************************************************

"Ah...who are you again?" the black-haired man asks, and a look of recognition dawns on his face after a second. "You're the challenger, aren't you? Sorry, my mind is blank half the time. Part of my training, you see." 

"Lay...Yixing, is it?" you ask, and he nods, giving you a dimpled smile which makes him more stunning than he already is.

"Uh-huh," he nods, and he clicks the catches of his two Pokeballs, releasing his Pokemon: Rapidash and Slowking. "Ready whenever you are." 

You send out Floon and Jeongguk sends out Rufflet. 

"Gust!"

"Tailwind!"

A gust of wind blows from behind the both of you and it propels Floon forward. The wind turns even fiercer as it reaches Lay's Pokemon, nearly blowing them away.

"Fire Spin! Amnesia!"

Rapidash. Level 48. Type(s): Fire. Moves learned: Fire Spin, Stomp, Flame Wheel, Agility. Ability: Flash Fire. Rapidash usually can be seen casually cantering in the fields and plains. However, when this Pokémon turns serious, its fiery manes flare and blaze as it gallops its way up to 150 mph.

Slowking. Level 52. Type(s): Water, Psychic. Moves learned: Psychic, Amnesia, Aqua Tail, Ice Punch. Ability: Own Tempo. Slowking undertakes research every day in an effort to solve the mysteries of the world. However, this Pokémon apparently forgets everything it has learned if the Shellder on its head comes off.

A vortex of fire flies towards Floon, trapping Floon in the whirlpool of fire. Slowking, meanwhile, seems to have been enlightened by something as it clears its mind.

"Psychic!"

Slowking launches its attack, sending supersonic waves towards Floon and Rufflet.

Rufflet flies up to avoid the psychic waves, its body small enough to hide on the roof while, unfortunately, Floon is hit. Floon retaliates with Shadow Ball, a newly-acquired skill, shooting the ball towards Slowking, hitting it for a super-effective hit.

"Flame Wheel!"

Rapidash coats itself in fire before making a dash for Rufflet, managing to catch its talon and Rapidash stomps it to the ground.

"Stomp!"

Its hooves thud heavily on Rufflet as the bird tries to escape, slashing multiple time as Rapidash's legs, yelping whenever it gets burned by fire.

"Floon, Hex!"

An insignia appears on Slowking and Floon concentrates its ghostly energy there. Slowking suddenly breaks out into a run, straight at Floon!

"Ice Punch!" 

"Urgh! Switch out!" you switch Floon out with Scatter. "Supersonic!"

"Not gonna work," Lay smiles as Slowking doesn't get confused at all. In fact, it only spurs it on, rushing forward and swinging its tail at Scatter, knocking it to the side with a wave of water. "Aqua Tail!"

"Scatter, Draining Kiss!" 

Scatter flies forward, wings carrying it as fast as it can and Scatter latches its mouth onto the crown on Slowking's head. Slowking swings its ice-covered fists aimlessly as it tries to find out where Scatter is. Scatter shrieks suddenly as it gets hit by a Psychic attack, Slowking managing to free itself from the draining attack.

Meanwhile, Jeongguk has his hands full with Rapidash, Rufflet barely avoiding the Flame Wheels and Fire Spin as its feathers get singed upon every touch with the unicorn's flaming body. Rapidash suddenly gets faster--it must have used Agility, and Rufflet flaps its wings to generate a tailwind again. It spreads its wings out and rides the wind currents, darting past Rapidash and drawing a talon across Rapidash's flank.

Rapidash whinnies as its fire burns even more brightly. 

Rufflet rushes back forwards for an Aerial Ace attack, bringing Rapidash down.

Much to your surprise, Rufflet crashes to the ground too.

"That's it for me," Jeongguk grins at you and you're confused. Can't he just send out another Pokemon to fight?

"The moment a Pokemon faints and falls to the ground, you're finished," Lay says, as if answering your queries. So far, Scatter has been able to dodge every single Ice Punch and Aqua Tail by Slowking, only getting nicked once or twice on the wings.

"Bug Buzz again!"

"Amnesia!"

Slowking clears its mind, barely even feeling the Bug Buzz as it hits hard. Slowking shakes its head, clearing its mind of thoughts and ready to begin fighting again. It dashes towards Scatter and hits an Ice Punch. Scatter yelps out another Bug Buzz attack, catching Slowking off-guard and Slowking stumbles back. 

"Now, Bug Buzz!"

With one final piece of effort, Scatter shrieks again, the ridiculously-high sound making you cover your ears in slight pain. Really--sound-type moves aren't really...your type. You watch as Slowking slumps to the ground, defeated. Lay looks up at you.

"Well, you're good...someone-I-don't-know," Lay smiles. "Good luck on your next challenge. Two more to go."

Two more? Isn't Lay the second strongest already?

"Well, there's Sehun and there's the surprise," Lay gives a cheeky grin. "Good luck! Feel free to use my healing machine."

He watches as you and Jeongguk put your Pokeballs onto the machine and it flashes and whirrs. After the flashing is done, you take it out and see your Pokemon fully revitalized.

Two more, Lay said. You wondered who's the surprise as you and Jeongguk make your way up yet another level.

**********************************************************

You pant as you reach the second last level--Sehun's level. You see him in all his...rainbow-haired glory. He notices your staring.

"Y-Yah! Stop staring!" he cries, clicking open two Pokeballs: A Granbull and a Poliwrath.

Granbull. Level: 52. Type(s): Fairy. Moves learned: Payback, Play Rough, Hyper Voice, Rage. Ability: Intimidate. Granbull has a particularly well-developed lower jaw. The enormous fangs are heavy, causing the Pokémon to tip its head back for balance. Unless it is startled, it will not try to bite indiscriminately.

Poliwrath. Level: 53. Type(s): Water, Fighting. Moves learned: Circle Throw, Mind Reader, Power-Up Punch, Water Pulse. Ability: Water Absorb. Poliwrath's highly developed, brawny muscles never grow fatigued, however much it exercises. It is so tirelessly strong, this Pokémon can swim back and forth across the ocean without effort.

"I'll tell you the secret to my hair if you can beat me," Sehun grins.

"W-Why the would I want to know the secret to your hair?" you scream back. "Blu! Dragon Breath!"

"Whoa! Hold it! No one insults the secret to my hair and gets away with it!" Sehun yells. "Granbull! Play Rough!"

Granbull and Blu get into an amazingly heated scuffle that looks like two preschoolers fighting, but of course, due to type compatibility, Blu is on the losing end. Blu takes off into the air and caws as it uses a Take Down move, flying straight into Granbull.

"Meowstic! Psyshock!" Jeongguk shouts, as Meowstic launches its own attack, attacking Poliwrath full on. Poliwrath runs forward, pink light flashing in its eyes for a second before it launches itself at Meowstic, socking it hard with a Power-Up Punch.

"Water Pulse!" 

Water flies out in a ring at Meowstic and it dodges to the side. Apparently, Charm won't have any effect here, so...

"Disarming Voice!"

"Blu! Mirror Move!"

Blu yelps out a Hyper Voice, which was the move that Granbull used last, and Granbull has to stop in its tracks and cover its ears as Blu's voice booms throughout the room. Blu takes this advantage and uses a Dragon Breath, but Granbull deflects it like it's nothing.

But the beam does fly backwards and misses Sehun by a few inches. His eyes are wide as saucers as he screeches, "My ing hair! No one insults and destroys my hair in one hour! Granbull! Payback!" 

"What the h*ll," you mutter as Blu flies out of the way of the attack, snorting and flying back down, attacking Granbull with a Take Down attack.

"Why does he care about his hair so much..." Jeongguk wonders as Meowstic launches another Psyshock attack, knocking Poliwrath out. 

"Granbull! Payback!"

"Blu! Take Down!"

Both Pokemon rush at each other, and there is a bright flash of light as they collide and both energies mix together. You shield your eyes from the light and when it settles, you find both Pokemon on the ground, knocked out.

"Oh my God," Sehun buries his face in his hands. "Fine! I kept my hair this way because Lulu likes it, okay!"

"That's...the secret to your hair?" you gape at him.

"Y-Yeah! Got a problem with that?"

He looks like a teenage boy blushing furiously in front of his crush. "Lulu likes my rainbow hair."

"Huh," you size him up and down, wondering if he's just experiencing a delusion.

"F-Forget what I said," Sehun mutters angrily. "Use my healing machine if you want." 

You and Jeongguk use the machine just as you wave a hearty goodbye to Sehun--which he doesn't reciprocate--and you make it up to the final floor.

*****************************************************

I'm so sorry this chapter took so long i was focusing on my other fic: Black Cobra, for now.

You:

Partner Pokemon:

Mimi (Mimikyu). Level 36. Grudge, Slash, Moonblast, Shadow Ball

Pokemon:

Dish (Gloom). Level 40. Toxic, Moonlight, Sleep Powder, Giga Drain
Chim (Infernape). Level 39. Torment, Flame Wheel, Cut, Close Combat
Scatter (Vivillon). Level 39. Draining Kiss, Bug Buzz, Aromatherapy, Supersonic
Floon (Drifblim). Level 40. Hex, Ominous Wind, Shadow Ball, Gust
Blu (Altaria). Level 36. Dragon Breath, Take Down, Refresh, Mirror Move

Jeongguk:

Partner Pokemon: None

Pokemon:

Weavile. Level 41. Screech, Night Slash, Icy Wind, Snatch
Greninja. Level 39. Water Shuriken, Spikes, Shadow Sneak, Feint Attack
Rufflet. Level 40. Defog, Aerial Ace, Tail Wind, Slash
Gengar. Level 39. Shadow Ball, Night Shade, Dream Eater, Confuse Ray
Meowstic. Level 40. Disarming Voice, Reflect, Charm, Psyshock

 

Moves used in the chapter:

Screech (Used by Weavile): Lowers the foe's Defense stat
Icy Wind (Used by Weavile): Lowers the foe's Speed while damaging the foe with ice shards mixed in wind
Night Slash (Used by Weavile): Attacks the foe. Critical hit ratio is heightened.
Dragon Claw (Used by Gabite): Attacks the foe with claws imbued with draconic energy.
Bug Buzz (Used by Vivillon): Attacks the foe by screeching.
Dig (Used by Gabite): User digs its way into the ground and attacks the foe from below.
Strength (Used by Druddigon): The user attacks the foe with a series of punches.
Dragon Rush (Used by Druddigon): The user attacks the foe by rushing at it and ramming into it.
Aromatherapy (Used by Vivillon): The user heals all status ailments of a Pokemon.
Hydro Pump (Used by Milotic): The user attacks the foe with a giant blast of water.
Dragon Breath (Used by Altaria): The user attacks the foe by hitting it with a breath of draconic energy. May Paralyze the foe.
Hyper Beam (Used by Aromatisse): The user attacks the foe with a giant beam of energy. User needs to rest a bit afterwards.
Shadow Ball (Used by Gengar and Drifblim): The user attacks the foe with a sphere of ghostly energy.
Moonblast (Used by Aromatisse): The user attacks the foe by summoning moonbeams.
Confuse Ray (Used by Gengar): The user attacks the foe by launching a sphere of ghostly energy at the foe and Confusing it.
Charge Beam (Aromatisse): The user attacks the foe with a beam of electricity.
Sleep Powder (Used by Gloom): The user sprays the foe with green powder, putting it to Sleep.
Blizzard (Used by Milotic): The user summons a blast of cold air and attacks the foe.
Night Shade (Used by Gengar): The user attacks the foe by engulfing it in ghostly energy.
Water Shuriken (Used by Greninja): The user launches shurikens made of water at the foe, hitting 2-5 times.
Shadow Sneak (Used by Greninja): The user sends its shadow to attack the foe from behind.
Gust (Used by Drifblim): The user sends blasts of wind at the foe. 
Tail Wind (Used by Rufflet): The user summons a tailwind from behind and boosts the Speed of the team.
Fire Spin (Used by Rapidash): The user trap the foe in a vortex of flames.
Amnesia (Used by Slowking): The user forgets everything and clears its mind, heightening its Special Defense.
Psychic (Used by Slowking): The user attacks the foe with a blast of psychic power.
Flame Wheel (Used by Rapidash): The user covers itself in flames and rushes at the foe.
Stomp (Used by Rapidash): The user uses its hooves or feet to stomp on the foe. 
Hex (Used by Drifblim): The user attacks the foe with ghostly energy, dealing more damage if the foe is afflicted with a Status Effect.
Ice Punch (Used by Slowking): The user attacks the foe with an ice-covered fist.
Supersonic (Used by Scatter): The user sends a wave of sound at the foe, Confusing it.
Aqua Tail (Used by Slowking): The user attacks the foe with splashing water from its tail.
Draining Kiss (Used by Scatter): The user attacks the foe by draining their energy and refilling their own health.
Agility (Used by Rapidash): The user increases its Speed stat.
Slash (Used by Rufflet): The user attacks the foe with its talons or claws.
Aerial Ace (Used by Rufflet): The user attacks the foe with talons or claws. This attack never misses.
Play Rough (Used by Granbull): The user attacks the foe with multiple scratches and may lower the foe's Attack stat.
Take Down (Used by Altaria): The user attacks the foe by ramming into it. User will take recoil damage.
Psyshock (Used by Meowstic): The user attacks the foe with psychic power.
Water Pulse (Used by Poliwrath): The user attacks the foe with a ring of water. May Confuse the foe.
Disarming Voice (Used by Meowstic): The user attacks the foe with a cute voice. 
Mirror Move (Used by Altaria): The user mimicks the attack the foe used last.
Hyper Voice (Used by Granbull & Altaria): The user attacks the foe with a booming voice.
Payback (Used by Granbull)
: The user does double damage of the move used last.