The Quiet Prelude

The Curse of the Mask

You and Jimin walk in an awkward silence as the two of you make your way through the forest, ocassionally having battles with Wurmples and Bunnelbys along with the rare Combees and even rarer Ponytas. You haven't managed to catch a single thing as you walk through the forest, apparently having forgotten to buy Pokeballs back in Naslu City and Jimin is out of them. 

You hear the rustling of trees behind you and you freeze, wondering what may be about to attack you as Chim launches an Ember at the rustling bushes, and the sparks of flame manages to chase out whatever's behind that bush. Something springs out and you scream as Growlithe dives forward in front of you, along with Chim, and the two of them launch Embers of their own.

Another shadow appears, and joins the first. There is the sound of crackling as you're suddenly shocked with electricity. Pain courses through your body with every move and you fall, hard on the ground. You must've out for a few seconds because when you open your eyes, you see someone spraying something on you. Your arms and legs have become less stiff, at least, and you've somehow flipped over onto your back.

Other than that, you don't remember anything that's happened in the past minutes.

"Say, you okay, kid?" someone asks, and you nod, sitting up. You look around and see Chim and Growlithe gone. Dish is sitting on you, looking extremely worried. Scatter is hiding in Dish's head of leaves. Jimin seems to be gone too, and his Kricketot is sitting on the ground, as if waiting for him to return.

You look up to see a boy about your age, and he is holding what looks like a yellow bottle in his hand. A Paralyze Heal? "Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks."

"You seem like you were paralyzed for a really long time, lass," the boy says, helping you pick yourself up. "Did you see them Plusle and Minun?"

"Plusle and Minun?"

"Two troublemakers, I'd say," he scratches his head. Judging from his looks, he looks like he's out to catch bugs. "Electric Mouse Pokemon. One red and one blue. Always together. Anyways, what's yer name, lass?" 

"(Y/N)," you answer.

"(Y/N)...that's a fine name there, young lady," the boy nods. "Wanna come back with me to my town? You can stay with me and my family for now, or you can check into the inn, if you want."

You walk over to the Kricketot. "Do you know where Jiminnie went?"

Kricketot fixes you with an unreadable expression before it gets up and stands at your leg. You follow the boy back to the town, that town in the middle of the forest that Raion must have told you about. It isn't a long walk, roughly ten minutes or so. You didn't mind staying with the boy and his family--they lent you their spare guesthouse, and you found his parents fun to be around.

But you wait and wait, and soon, it becomes dark. Kricketot is getting edgy, and you don't even catch a glimpse of Growlithe or Snivy. You look over at Chim and Dish, already fast asleep. The only Pokemon still awake, other than Kricketot, is Scatter, who's fixing you with another unreadable expression. It isn't worry, and neither is it anger or irritation.

You make up your mind as you clasp your belt back onto your waist. Right. You're going to go look for Jimin.

*************************************************************

You venture back into the forest, the place looking eerie in the night. You'd managed to sneak out of the house without people noticing, much to your thrill and joy. You had emerged out the window with Kricketot and Scatter, leaving Chim and Dish sleeping in the room. From what you can probably tell, Jimin went after Plusle and Minun. For what, you don't know.

You walk through the woods, realizing something. You don't even know where to begin looking for Jimin. He can be anywher--Snap!

Something in front of you. Your heart is palpitating in your chest as you walk forward, a little scared of what you might find ahead. Ghosts come out at night, they say. 

Something springs out at you, and you scream as Scatter rams the Pokemon, sending a Snubbull flying to the ground. You clutch at your chest as you try to catch your breath. Scatter shoots silk at the Snubbull, managing to slow it down as Snubbull tries to shake the silk from its body.

"Scatter! Stun Spore!" you yell, consulting your Pokedex.

Yellow powder flies from Scatter's mouth, and it lands on Snubbull. Snubbull yelps as it is hit and falls to the ground. Scatter rams it again with a Tackle and Snubbul falls down, defeated.

"Right! Let's go!" you start to run, but you realize that Scatter isn't following you. "Scatter?"

Scatter is motionless, and a bright light shines from it, illuminating the nearby branches. Scatter shudders and its skin breaks open, freaking the h*ll out of you as something emerges from Scatter, so bright that you have to shield your eyes to be able to see it. Something even bigger than Scatter now. It...LOOKS TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

Your Pokedex beeps and you check it.

Spewpa. Level 11. Type(s): Bug. Moves learned: Tackle, Stun Spore, String Shot, Protect. Ability: Shed Skin. The beaks of birds can't begin to scratch its stalwart body. To defend itself, it spews powder. 

"So...I can't call you Scatter now, huh," you laugh to yourself as you stuff your Pokedex back in your bag. "But you're still Scatter to me." Spewpa huffs as it follows you, the three of you making your way further and further into the woods, until you step on something icky. You withdraw your foot immediately, groaning at the stickiness. You look down. It looks like something akin to a Berry. A Razz Berry.

You see a trail of Razz and Iapapa Berries leading deeper into the bushes. Whatever's behind there is definitely a Pokemon. Ghosts don't eat berries.

You then start to hear sounds. There's...a battle ensuing...and...Jimin! He's lying there, blood covering his face and he's unconscious, Growlithe lying beside him, also injured. Only Snivy is awake and it's snarling, doing battle with a hooded figure and a Gastly. You can't be sure, but you feel like you know this hooded figure. It's as if you've seen his build before.

"Gastly! Curse!"

Snivy is hit with the Curse attack, and it falls to the ground, tired. There is a crackling sound in the air and you gasp as the Gastly is hit with a bright body of light. The body of light falls backwards as the Gastly has sustained a hit. You notice it's a blue and yellow mouse creature. Your Pokedex beeps and you gasp. The beeping sound seems to have attracted the attention of the hooded figure and he turns in your direction. You cannot see his face properly, since the canopies of the trees have blocked out most of the moonlight.

The hooded figure doesn't do anything to you, but he returns Gastly to its Pokeball and he leaves, swiftly running through the woods.

You take out your accursed Pokedex and check it, the Minun still glaring at you suspiciously.

Minun. Level 13. Type(s): Electric. Moves learned: Spark, Helping Hand, Switcheroo, Encore. Ability: Minus. Minun loves to cheer on its partner in battle. It gives off sparks from its body while it is doing so. If its partner is in trouble, this Pokémon gives off increasing amounts of sparks.

You run over to Jimin, as the Minun leaps onto your shoulder and follows you. You find Jimin in a really bad shape, and even Kricketot looks worried. With Snivy and Kricketot's help, you manage to get them to lift Growlithe, while Spewpa and Minun help you with Jimin. You manage to drag all of them out, finding that already recovering Snubbull to help you find your way. What's happened back there? And who was that?

You help Jimin into the house, and you meet the worried eyes of your Pokemon, who've just woken up and wondered where you went. You hug Chim and Dish as you lay Jimin down on the bed. The boy and his parents haven't woken up yet, and you decide to let Jimin stay here for a while before moving on over to Jonggyeu.

You stay in bed, yawning and tired as the adrenaline rushes off. Chim and Dish snuggle up beside you. Still, you keep wondering about who that man is, and why that Minun is helping you and has followed you back. And why did Scatter change like that? Is that why Jeongguk's Froakie didn't look like Froakie anymore?

You barely close your eyes when someone knocks on the door. You open it, yawning and come face to face with the boy.

"Hey, did you do something last night?" he sounds suspicious, but his face holds a smile.

"Uh...nope. Why did you think so?"

You keep the door only slightly ajar so he won't see Jimin's sleeping form. You honestly had no idea how to help him. Unfortunately, the boy's Roselia leaps off his shoulder and walks into the room. You gulp as you watch it walk over to Jimin, before singing a song. You turn back to the boy sheepishly as he throws the door open and walks in.

"Roselia likes helping people," he explains. "Okay, really. Where were you last night?"

You swallow uncomfortably, and realize you have to tell him the truth. As Roselia is using Aromatherapy to help Jimin treat his wounds, you watch as another Pokemon enters the room. A Cyndaquil. You watch as the boy looks up in amazement.

"Bro! You're back!" he cries as another the man pokes his head into the room.

"Yeah, I'm back," he says. "This is my summerhouse, after all."

"It's nearly winter, bro," the boy smiles. The boy's bro has red and black hair, red at the sides and black in the middle. He's wearing a black jacket with designs of flames on them.

"Who's this?" you ask. The Cyndaquil walks over to you and nudges at your leg.

"I'm Jung Hoseok, but you can just call me Hobi," he grins. "Nice to meet you. What's your name?"

"Huh? I'm (Y/N)," you reply. "Nice to meet you too."

"Well, well, well, what happened here?" he asks, gesturing towards Jimin. "He looks pretty knocked out."

"I don't know," you wring your hands. You tell him the whole story, from when you were travelling from Naslu through the forest, and you and Jimin had planned to stop at the town here before heading onwards to Jonggyeu City when you encountered Plusle and Minun and somehow ended up in a fight with the hooded figure and stuff.

Hoseok listens attentively, face growing serious. At least, until Jimin wakes up. He stretches and yawns, muttering an "Ow" when he accidentally touches his wound. He opens his eyes and looks around, noticing where he is and that he's in a room with a bunch of other people.

"Who are you guys?" he looks confused as ever as you rush to his side, sitting down on the bed beside him as his Pokemon gather.

"Thanks, bro," Hoseok grins at the boy. "At least I have a lead now."

The words catch your ears. "A lead?"

"It's nothing you need to be concerned about," Hoseok winks at them as the Cyndaquil detaches itself from your leg, but you're just itching to run after this Hoseok guy and ask about it. For what exactly does he have a lead to? But Hoseok had said it has nothing to do with them...

"Wait!"

Hoseok stops and turns towards you. Another one of his Pokemon has followed him into the house. It's a Flareon this time. Flareon stands in front of Hoseok protectively, fur bristling.

"What is it?" he asks, before stooping down and petting his Flareon's head.

"Do you know Professor Acacia?" you ask, and Hoseok thinks for a moment, before nodding.

"Famous mythological Pokemon Professor," he shrugs.

"She's my sister," you say. "And she's missing. I'm looking for her."

"If you're asking me for any leads on her case, sorry," Hoseok says, rubbing his chin. "I know nothing about that."

"What I'm saying is," you choose your words carefully. "That the case you're working on may be related to my case. If I promise help you for your case, will you tell me about it? What the lead means." 

Hoseok seems to be considering, before he says, "I'll have to talk it out with the others. What's your number?"

"Uh...number?"

"You don't have a Pokephone?" he chuckles. "Man, you're like the only one living in this day and age without one." He reaches into his pocket and takes out a small device, handing it to you. It feels light and heavy at the same time. You weigh it in your hands, liking the feel.

"It has a few different functions in it," Hoseok says. "It's an older model, but you can purchase another one in Honicen City, where all the big telecommunication services' HQ are located. Have fun exploring your Pokephone. I'll give you a call if you're allowed to help." With that, he gives you a slight wave, before getting onto his Charizard, his Cyndaquil and Flareon hopping onto Charizard's back before the dragon flies off into the sky.

Jimin's and your Pokedexes beep. It's a little too late, don'tcha think?

Cyndaquil. Level 5. Type(s): Fire. Moves learned: Tackle, Leer. Ability: Blaze. Cyndaquil protects itself by flaring up the flames on its back. The flames are vigorous if the Pokémon is angry. However, if it is tired, the flames sputter fitfully with incomplete combustion.

Flareon. Level 75. Type(s): Fire. Moves learned: Lava Plume, Last Resort, Confide, Sunny Day. Ability: Flash Fire. Flareon's fluffy fur has a functional purpose-it releases heat into the air so that its body does not get excessively hot. This Pokémon's body temperature can rise to a maximum of 1,650 degrees Fahrenheit.

Charizard. Level 80. Type(s): Fire, Flying. Moves learned: Flamethrower, Slash, Fly, Shadow Claw. Ability: Solar Power (hidden). Charizard flies around the sky in search of powerful opponents. It breathes fire of such great heat that it melts anything. However, it never turns its fiery breath on any opponent weaker than itself.

"Wow," Jimin stares at his Pokedex in wonder. Level 80? Just how strong is he?

"We have to leave," Jimin says. "We need to get to the next City--Jonggyeu."

You nod as you follow him out of the house, bidding farewell to the boy, whom you learn his name is Pon. 

You toy with the phone as you leave, heading towards the next City.

And well, Minun seems to have become a part of the team.

*********************************************************************

Who do u think the hooded figure is? Is it someone in YOUR past? And Hoseok finally makes an appearance haha I've been waiting to introduce the other members!! Heads up! Next person is gonna be...hehe what made you think I'd tell you?

Anyways, I continue writing this! But I may not post as often since I'm really very busy.

This is the status of your Pokemon now:

You:

1) Oddish. Level 17. Type(s): Poison, Grass. Moves learned: Absorb, Poisonpowder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder.
2) Chimchar Level 14. Type(s): Fire. Moves learned: Ember, Taunt, Scratch, Leer.
3) Spewpa Level 11. Type(s): Bug. Moves learned: Tackle, Protect, Stun Spore, String Shot

Jimin:

1) Growlithe. Level 17. Type(s): Fire. Moves learned: Ember, Leer, Odor Sleuth, Flame Wheel
2) Snivy. Level 15. Type(s): Grass. Moves learned: Growth, Wrap, Vine Whip, Leer
3) Kricketot. Level 9. Type(s): Bug. Moves learned: Growl, Bide, Struggle Bug
4) Minun. Level 13. Type(s): Electric. Moves learned: Spark, Encore, Helping Hand, Switcheroo

*Moves used in the chapter:

--Ember. Used by Growlithe and Chimchar. A small flame is launched at the foe.
--Spark. Used by Minun and Plusle. The Pokemon covers itself in electricity and hurls itself at the foe, electrifying it.
--Tackle. Used by Scatterbug. The user rams itself into the foe to deal damage.

--String Shot. Used by Scatterbug. The user shoots silk at the foe to bind it and slow down.
--Stun Spore. Used by Scatterbug. The user shoots yellow powder at the foe and paralyzes it.
--Curse. Used by Gastly. The user cuts its health into half and inflicts damage on the foe over time.
--Aromatherapy. Used by Roselia. The user heals any status conditions of any party member. Can be used to quickly heal wounds.