The Rumbling Quake

The Curse of the Mask

A/N: I'm so sorry for so many things in this chapter: One, the battles are written in a hurry, so it might be really bland, and two, i don't really follow EXO, so they may be out of character...

It's a bit bold to say this, but enjoy!

*************************************************************

You reach the top floor, panting as you see seven Pokemon standing before you, most of which you've seen before. You gape at the team as Ninetales, Scizor, Noctowl, Quagsire, Cradily, Bounsweet and Dedenne stand there. The Pokemon that the other disciples were taking care of!

Chanyeol was the strongest, so he's the final challenge.

Cradily and Scizor leap forward.

"Looks like we're going to have to fight all of them," Jeongguk says as the Pokemon come rushing at you. "Look out!" 

You release Chim just in time as Chim blocks Scizor's Metal Claw. Chim retaliates with a Flame Wheel that Scizor dodges easily. Chim attacks furiously with Close Combat, but with Scizor's Agility, it dodges every single punch and kick. Scizor hardens its body using Iron Defnese as it flies towards Chim, attacking with a well-aimed X-Scissor.

Chim is forced back as it uses Torment. Scizor is taken aback and you can see the look of agony on its face as it attempts to use X-Scissor again but can't. Chim rushes forward while it's distracted, readying a Close Combat...

A pile of rocks come rushing at Chim, stopping it in its tracks as Chim gets hit by the AncientPower. Scizor strengthens its Defense stat again as the two Pokemon change targets. Scizor goes after Jeongguk's Meowstic now. Meowstic tries to use a Disarming Voice, managing to catch Scizor off guard as Cradily sends a spray of water, Brine, straight at Chim.

Chim dodges the water, the fire on its head burning steadily as it hits Cradily in a Flame Wheel attack.

Cradily. Level: 55. Type(s): Grass, Rock. Moves learned: Brine, Ingrain, Earth Power, Energy Ball. Abilities: Suction Cups. Cradily’s body serves as an anchor, preventing it from being washed away in rough seas. This Pokémon secretes a strong digestive fluid from its tentacles.

Scizor. Level 55. Type(s): Bug, Steel. Moves learned: Metal Claw, Agility, X-Scisoor, Iron Defense. Abilities: Technician. Scizor has a body with the hardness of steel. It is not easily fazed by ordinary sorts of attacks. This Pokémon flaps its wings to regulate its body temperature.

"Close Combat!"

Chim attacks Cradily with a series of punches and kicks, but something hits it in the side and Chim is sent sprawling across the floor.

"What?"

"Switch," Jeongguk whispers in your ear. You feel the famliar tingle as your Pokemon switch targets. You watch as Jeongguk has switched his Pokemon out to a Rufflet.

"Aerial Ace!"

Rufflet dives forward, aiming at the ground where Cradily is standing, and tears out the roots that Cradily has planted into the tatami mats.

"No wonder it wasn't fainting. Ingrain was restoring its health points bit by bit," Jeongguk says, and you nod. His eyes widen. "Watch out!" 

You barely have time to register Scizor diving towards Chim, catching Chim in a Metal Claw attack, and boosted by the power of Swords Dance...

"Chim! Flame Wheel!"

Flame Wheel catches Scizor off guard. Scizor switches out with its teammate, Ninetales, its metallic body charred with flames. Ninetales, upon entering the battle field, launches nine fireballs at Chim, all from its tails. Chim dodges most of them, reflecting some of them with its Close Combat attack and knocking them back towards Ninetales.

Ninetales' body absorbs the fire and it send another round of fireballs. Chim has no chance, and you switch out to Altaria.

"Dragonbreath!" 

The blue beam shooting out of Altaria's mouth hits Ninetales square in the chest. It is paralysed as it struggles to stand, limbs unable to move. Its tails are paralysed as well, and fireballs generated cannot be fired. Ninetales is quickly switched out to Dedenne, and the small mouse rushes at Altaria in a Parabolic Charge as Ninetales limps off the battlefield.

Meanwhile, Jeongguk is facing Noctowl after knocking Cradily out.

Noctowl flies straight at Gengar, and the Pokemon hides in the shadows, dodging Noctowl's attack. Noctowl screeches in an Uproar attack, forcing Gengar out. Gengar barely has time to cover its ears as Noctowl dives straight at it.

"Confuse Ray!"

Gengar sends an ominous sphere towards Noctowl, sending Noctowl sprawling through the air. Noctowl retaliates with a Screech attack and another Uproar. Gengar finishes it off with a Shadow Ball. Noctowl flies back towards the other Pokemon and the next Pokemon comes out onto the battlefield. Dedenne.

Dedenne is fast as lightning, ramming into Gengar again and again with Parabolic Charge. Jeongguk grits his teeth, replacing Gengar with Rufflet. Rufflet doesn't last long either under the fierce volley of Parabolic Charge and Spark attacks.

You have your hands full with Quagsire. Quagsire is a tank--it's deflecting all your attacks with Amnesia as Altaria attacks it with DragonBreath. Once or twice it'd use Muddy Water, riding the waves and slamming itself against Blu. Soon, you have to switch Blu out with Dish. Dish attacks Quagsire with numerous Giga Drain.

These Pokemon are putting up a tough fight--it looks like Chanyeol's really as strong as the other disciples said he was. You yell out another command to Dish as Dish launches acid straight at Quagsire.

"It's a Ground-type! Poison-type moves won't work against it!" Jeongguk calls, hissing as Weavile gets hit, but Weavile dodges the next attack and retaliates with an Icy Wind attack.

"Moonlight!"

Dish regains health, using the power of the moonlight shining through the windows...Moonlight? It's already dark?

"Muddy Water!"

It's almost as if a command came out of thin air as a voice sharp as steel pierces through the air, and Quagsire launches another wave at your Pokemon. Dish braves the attack. You're not going to lose right here! Dish slams its giant flower onto Quagsire, its energy dry.

Jeongguk's in trouble--his Weavile is getting hit hard and Dedenne is a Fairy-type. It's going to be difficult to deal damage to Dedenne, especially if Weavile keeps using Night Slash. 

You just need one, well-aimed...

"Sleep Powder!"

One spore glides from Dish's flower, heading straight for the fight that has ensued between the Pokemon...and it hits Dedenne on the tail. One millisecond later and it would have been too late. Dedenne immediately falls asleep, and Weavile finishes it off with an Icy Wind attack.

"Whew," you rub at your forehead, perspiration drops on it that you didn't even know were there.

"Whew is right," Jeongguk nods, panting. He doesn't seem to be in a better state. You can't suppress a smile as you flop to the ground. Jeongguk extends a hand to help you up and you take it. You aren't even allowed to rest?

The door behind Chanyeol's tired-out Pokemon opens, and you see Suho stepping through.

"That was fast," he nods at you and Jeongguk as his Swellow stands by his side. "You've got talent."

"Thanks," you and Jeongguk answer in unison.

"It doesn't look like I have a need to battle you," he says, holding out something to both you and Jeongguk. You take the bracelet--there's something shiny and colorful embedded in the middle of the silver band.

"This is a Mega Ring," Suho says, pointing to yours, and to Jeongguk's, which looks like a locket, "And a Mega Locket. Both items contain Mega Stones, and they will aid you in your journey ahead. Come, let me demonstrate Mega Evolution. Follow me."

You and Jeongguk follow Suho, leaving the six Pokemon to take a break from the fighting. Suho leads you to a room filled with portraits lining the walls and various Mega Artifacts. He passes through the room without making mention to anything, and brings the two of you out to an open area--the highest part of the tower.

He releases his Pokemon: Pidgeot.

"Let me demonstrate."

You watch as Pidgeot flies out into the air and Suho walks over to the railing. In one swift move, he swings himself off and you barely hold back a scream as Suho falls. You and Jeongguk lean over the railing, trying to see what crazy stunt he's pulling. All you can see is Suho bathed in light as he falls, and Pidgeot shines along with him as it dives down.

Pidgeot changes form as it dives through the air, swooping down and catching Suho on its back before he hits the ground--seconds before. Suho rides Pidgeot back up to the top of the tower. He smiles as he reaches the top, and you can get a clear view of Pidgeot's changed form. It looks really cool--something you'd like to have.

"Only certain Pokemon can Mega Evolve," Suho says. "You have Altaria, a Pokemon that can Mega Evolve." He turns to Jeongguk. "And you, Gengar." He holds his hand out, and drops a stone into each of your hands.

"This is an Altarianite, and this is a Gengarite," says Suho. "They're one of the only ones in the world." 

"Wow," you hold the stone between your fingers. It's so small...but it carries so much weight.

"I think it'd be best for the both of you to stay the night," Suho says. "It's getting late, and the Ditto are usually agitated at night."

"Alright," you smile. "Two rooms, please!" 

"Of course," Suho smiles. "Two servings of dinner coming up too. I'll ask Yixing to make more for the two of you, though he'd probably have thought of it too. Come on, let's go."

You follow Suho down the tower.

You miss the disappointed look on Jeongguk's face.

*****************************************************************

"Oh my gosh you came from Bausn? Isn't that the city with five islands and only one island you can see at low tide or something?" Yixing squeals as he shovels rice into his mouth.

"I heard they've got really good cucumber masks there," Jongdae says.

"The best ones come from Soul City," Baekhyun nods as he eats a berry.

Lively chatter fills the dining table as the disciples gather around to eat Yixing's delicious cooking. You smiles as he picks at his own dish. Stir-fried vegetables complete with salted-vegetable soup and...veggies everywhere.

"We've made it a point not to eat anything meat," Kyungsoo says, as if reading your mind. "Pokemon aren't food--that's what we believe." He rubs his Ariados's head as Ariados bites into a Pokeblock--a block of berry meat pressed together into a cube shape. Pokemon food. 

After dinner, you offer to clear up, but Yixing and Kyungsoo are hearing none of that. Jeongguk retires to his room immediately, saying something about having to meditate (which you're never going to believe). You are also about to head on over to your own room when you hear someone calling you. You peer behind and see Baekhyun standing there, at the stairway.

"Follow me."

You walk up the stairs with Dish by your side as Baekhyun leads you up to a familiar room. His Aromatisse stands by his side as he ushers you in. You notice that you're in Chanyeol's room. All his Pokemon have dispersed to their various Trainers now, save for one.

Dedenne stands at the tower's window, looking out to the stars.

"Dedenne hasn't been able to choose a Trainer," Baekhyun explains, unlike the other Pokemon like Bounsweet and Noctowl. Dedenne always tried to spark us every time we go near it, and we've never been able to get close to it."

"So you're saying that I..."

"Yes," Baekhyun says. "I want you to try."

*********************************************************************

Try as you might, but getting close to Dedenne isn't an easy thing at all. Dedenne simply refuses to even look at you, covering its body with electricity whenever you try to appraoch it. Once, you almost got shocked, and Baekhyun stands at the doorway, watching and waiting.

The closest you've ever gotten to Dedenne is when you touched its tail, and that didn't end too well--with you getting zapped and all. It was painful, but it was worth it. Finally, Dedenne gets so fed up that it turns around, cheek pouches crackling with electricity and ready to shock whoever disturbs it next.

"Hey, it's okay," you coo, trying to calm Dedenne down, but the mouse is still adamantly staring at you with an angry glint in its eyes. 

Dedenne launches itself at you and Dish steps in front to protect, Sleep Powder at the ready.

But there is a sudden rumbling, causing you to nearly lose your balance had Aromatisse not been behind you. 

"Stay down!" Baekhyun shouts as he fishes a Pokephone from his pocket. He dials a number and puts it to his ear. Meanwhile, the tower keeps on rumbling and it won't stop. Is it an earthquake?

A part of the tower crumbles from the floor above and you dash forward, grabbing Dedenne (who was right under the rubble). You bring Dedenne close to your side as the tower starts collapsing. Quick thinking makes you grab your Pokeball and release it--Blu coming out.

Baekhyun, meanwhile, manages to get his own flying Pokemon, Archeops, out.

Archeops. Level 51. Type(s): Rock, Flying. Moves learned: Endeavour, Acrobatics, Rock Slide, Crunch. Ability: Defeatist. It runs better than it flies. It takes off into the sky by running at a speed of 25 mph.

"Y/N!"

You vaguely recognize that voice, but your mind doesn't process much of anything else other than the fact that you're tumbling through the air, Dedenne clutched safely in your grasp. You snap the Pokeball from your belt and return Dish to its Pokeball.

You see a giant piece of rubble flying toward you as you free fall out of the tower. It'll be a few seconds before you hit the ground, and the impact would be...You have to trust Blu right now to catch you. Although it has trust issues with you, you can do nothing but wait.

There is a bright flash of light above you as something pulses against your wrist. You open an eye a crack to see what's going on, and all you're greeted with is a blue shine against the night sky as that something blue dives towards you. Before you know it, you land on fluffy, white clouds--mere seconds from smashing into the cold, hard rock beneath.

You breathe an unsteady sigh of relief as you watch the tower crumble from the shaking. The tower isn't made to withstand such strong seismic activity. You hear screams and shouts from inside the tower--no doubt from the disciples trapped inside. Blu dodges the rocks, flitting here and there as the tower falls on its side, crashing hard onto the ground.

Blu lands you safely on the ground, and your first thought is: Jeongguk! Is he alive?! The shaking has finally stopped, and you are able to run over to the rubble.

Baekhyun lands lightly beside where Blu is, and he returns Archeops to its Pokeball.

"Jeongguk! Jeongguk-ah!" You look through the rubble desperately, hoping to find signs of any living thing.

You see something moving in the corner, and you immediately swing your head in that direction, in case it's a wild Pokemon you've disturbed and you might have to defend yourself. Luckily for you, it's not, and instead, it's Tao, whose Mienshao has burst them out of the rubble.

"Tao!"

"Do you see anyone else?" Tao asks, face hard at the devastation in front of them. He himself is covered in bruises and whatnot, but the rest must be worse off. There is another crash elsewhere as you see Sudowoodo making its way out from the concrete, arms around Kyungsoo protectively.

One by one, the other disciples manage to find their own way out of the rubble, including Jeongguk and Suho.

"You alright?" you ask him as he emerges from the debris.

"Fine as I can ever be," he flashes you a shy smile.

But one person's missing.

"Where's...Chen?" Sehun does a head count of the number of people standing.

"Oh God..." Minseok looks around. Despite the stoic expression on his face, you can tell he's worried.

"Chen's leg hasn't been able to recover from an incident a few years ago," Yixing explains. "He might not be able to..." Yixing doesn't finish the sentence, letting his sentence trail off.

"Chen!" Minseok releases his Druddigon, the dragon Pokemon using its strong arms to move aside rubble here and there. Minseok looks almost frantic.

"Wait!" Suho walks over to him calmly.

"You're telling me to wait?" Minseok hisses, voice dangerously low. "Chen might be stuck down there and he might be crushed for all we know."

"But you can't rashly just move rocks wherever you like. What if you crush him by mistake?" Suho challenges. Minseok bites his lip.

"Sorry," Yixing shakes his head. "It looks like we might not be able to provide a place to sleep tonight. If you'd like, I can send Togekiss to bring you down to Gondan City..."

"It's alright," you reply. "We'll help."

"You sure?" Jeongguk asks you.

"Yeah. They need our help."

You don't hear what Jeongguk mumbles next, but something along the lines of, "Your kindness is going to get you killed one day." 

**********************************************************

"Chen!"

Yixing unearths an arm from the ground, and it looks horribly bent--at a wrong angle--and it almost makes you throw up. You've got to do something about that weak stomach of yours.

Floon helps with the rescue efforts--using its strong arms to carry rocks off the body buried in the ground. Chen is unconscious--there is a giant bruise on his head, and a couple of scratches and gashes all over his limbs. Minseok is the fastest one to his side as Yixing's Slowking helps carry him.

"We'll have to bring him to the Pokemon Center," Suho says. Pokemon Centers don't just heal Pokemon--they act as hospitals to treat the injured too. "The rest of you...I need this rubble cleared by tomorrow morning, if that's possible. If not, you're welcome to follow me to Gondan City and seek a room there."

None of the disciples would follow Suho, except Minseok.

"Let me bring Chen there myself."

Suho presses his lips into a thin line, surveying Minseok's face. They're the same age--you've heard from Yixing earlier, yet there's an obvious power difference between the two.

"Alright," Suho doesn't even put up a fight, as he holds his hands up in defeat. Minseok brings out Gabite, and he carries Chen in his arms as he settles himself on top of the dragon. Gabite takes them down the mountain the fastest possible way. You look down and see another leg sticking out from the rubble--almost unnoticeable thanks to the color. Asking Floon to help, you manage to find Chen's Sandile also buried under the rubble. You gingerly pick up Sandile and hold it close to you. Its leg had always been a lame leg, and this time, it looks like Sandile may never walk again.

"I'll bring it down to Chen," a voice says from behind you. You find Suho standing there with his Swellow. "When Minseok's worried, he might be rash. I'm planning to follow him."

You nod as you hand Sandile over to Suho, and he takes it with utmost care as he hangs onto his Swellow's leg, the large bird flying down, diving towards Gondan City.

You turn back to all the rubble. Well, where are they gonna go?

****************************************************

By the time you've finished clearing all the rubble, it's almost 4am in the morning and some of the younger disciples (like Sehun) are already asleep, snoring away. The rest of those who are still awake are almost falling asleep--Yifan has dark circles under his eyes, even as he continues tolling away with his Pokemon.

You yourself are already tired out and you sink down to the ground, your legs sore as h*ll and your arms almost snapping off. You return a tired Floon to its Pokeball and you look around. Most of the rubble are already cleared...

What's that?

A spark of green against the ground.

And you feel it again.

The horrendous shaking of the ground.

You stand up, unafraid anymore, as you peer over the edge of Mt. Crescent. You see something black and green digging its way through the ground, going further and further away from you. You bring out your Pokedex, hoping to catch some informaiton off it.

You do, and by the time Sehun and Zitao are awake and Jeongguk runs to your side, you find out what it is, and it looks ominous as well.

Zygarde. Level: 75. Type(s): Dragon, Ground. Moves learned: Dragon Dance, Dragon Pulse, Camouflage, Earthquake. Ability: Aura Break. It's hypothesized that it's monitoring those who destroy the ecosystem from deep in the cave where it lives.