The New Neighbour

The Curse of the Mask

You tap your feet on the ground, waiting and waiting, sitting in front of the porch, waiting for Professor Acacia, aka your cousin, to bring the package over. She had promised the package to be delivered by today, and it's already 8am in the morning!

"Jimin's late too, though," you look over at your Oddish and crawls into your lap as a bark resounds in the distance. Spoken too soon. Something leaps onto you, pushing you down to the ground as the something covers you in slobber. You laugh and push the Growlithe off you, smiling as you see someone running towards you.

"Hi, Jimin-ah!" You call as Jimin drags Growlithe off of you and Oddish is pushed onto the porch, staring amusedly at the scene.

"Sorry! Growlithe wouldn't get into the bathtub."

"Growlithe's a Fire-type, of course he'd hate baths," You scoff at Jimin, as he scratches his head, and Growlithe sits at his feet, tail wagging excitedly.

"Is Professor Acacia here?" Jimin asks, as he takes a seat beside you.

"Nope," you answer.

"Well, you can't expect too much. I know you're excited about the new Pokemon and all..."

"Yeah, but--"

Suddenly, there's a caw from above, and you look up just in time to see something tunneling you way, spiralling down to the ground with a bag in its beak, obviously injured from some earlier encounter. You and Jimin jump out of the way as the bird hits the ground with a loud "crash", unable to carry on its flight.

"I...It's a Tranquill," you hold the bird in your arms as you take the bag from its beak. There is a crumpled note sticking out from the bag, and you pick it up, unfolding the piece of paper before reading it.

"To Jimin and (Y/N),

There has been an unexpected situation at the lab. In the bag contains three starter Pokemon and three Pokedexes. Please cherish them well.

P.S. the third Pokemon is for a boy moving into your neighbourhood. Treat him we--"

"Treat him weh?" Jimin looks over at you questioningly, but you dig your hands into the bag and find three Pokeballs. You look at the three Pokeballs. One contains a Chimchar, an orange monkey with a flame for a tail, and the second one contains a Froakie, the cute blue frog giving you (and Jimin) a hard stare, and the final one is a Snivy, obviously asleep in the Pokeball.

"It's cut off," Jimin snatches the letter from you to take a look. There isn't even a signature. It worries you, a lot. Did something happen to your cousin?

Acacia studies Pokemon Legends, much like how every other Professor in other regions study something different. Professor Oak studies the distribution of Pokemon, Professor Elm studies Pokemon birth, Professor Birch studies Pokemon Behaviour, Professor Rowan studies Pokemon Evolution, Professor Juniper studies Pokemon's Dreams and Professor Sycamore...well, you don't exactly know what.

And Acacia's field of study is dangerous.

She heads off to different parts of Oakre for the sake of her study, and to risk her lives looking for the legendary Pokemon such as Jirachi, who lives on Mt. Nasallah on the island of Ejju, or Kyogre who lives at the bottom of the Yellow Sea. Studies of legendaries is always dangerous. 

Well, Professor Acacia is your cousin, which is why you're worried about her all the time.

"I think she'll be okay," Jimin pats your back comfortingly, as you rise from your seat to bring the injured Tranquill in to get it healed up. You meet the household Audino, and with a Heal Pulse, the Tranquill is good to go. You look around the house. Your mother has long since passed away, and your father is usually overseas for work, sending remittance money back for you, most likely from the giant city called Castelia. You only had your cousin for family, and you always craved the familial touch. 

You have to go find her. At least try.

"You're kidding me," Jimin huffs, putting the package with the Pokedexes and the Pokemon on the kitchen counter. "Who knows what attacked her? It's dangerous, (Y/N)!" 

"So?" You counter. "It's my cousin, and...look, she's the only one I have." The thought of losing your only kin frightens you. A lot. "I have to go find her, alright?"

Jimin presses his lips into a thin line, seemingly considering it, and at that moment, you hear a honking sound from the outside. You rush to the door and open it, wondering who it might be, when you realize that the honk is coming from a truck outside a new house, a house that was recently built here, in Bausn Town. 

The new neighbour! The one that Acacia was talking about in her letter!

The new neighbour is the description of perfect. A perfect face with perfect eyes, eyebrows, ears, nose and lips and...you name it, he has it. You watch as he lifts the cardboard boxes from the moving van with those buff arms, and the way his muscles contract as he carries one box after another, with the help of his Pokemon, Sneasel. When he's done, he gives a shout to the guy driving the truck, and the truck heads off down the road.

You grab the package and run over to your new neighbour, your Oddish in tow. "Heeeeeeeyy!"

The boy looks over at you, his dark eyes mesmerizing and boring into your own.

"Hmm?"

"Hi, uh...what's your name?" You ask, smiling, even as you pant from running such a distance. Even if you were in a crisis earlier, just talking to him seems to make you smile.

"Jeon Jeongguk," he answers, extending a hand to shake it, which you gladly take. "What's yours?"

"Uh...(Y/N), and the guy behind me's Jimin," you answer, and he nods.

"It's a nice name," he says, and he looks at the package in your hands. "Are those rice cakes?"

"Uh...nope, sorry," you say, popping the 'p'. "I haven't had time to prepare rice cakes..." You laugh to lighten the mood.

"Ah," Jeongguk remembers. "That's the Pokemon and Pokedex Professor Acacia wanted to give me, right?"

"Yup," you nod, and he leaves the box he's currently holding on the porch. His Sneasel walks over, seeming suspicious of you and Jimin as it settles itself on Jeongguk's shoulder.

You pour the contents of the box out onto the grass; three Pokeballs and Pokedexes tumble out.

"Froakie's mine," Jeongguk reaches for the ball with Froakie, and you take your pick: Chimchar, so Jimin's left with Snivy. All three of you release your Pokemon from the Pokeballs, and Chimchar is way cuter when it's bigger than you thought it will be.

"Jeongguk, right?" You ask, liking how his name just rolls off your tongue, and you totally miss the infuriated look Jimin shoots at you.

"Yeah?"

"Do you want me to show you around this neighbourhood? Bausn Town can be a little big to newcomers."

"Nah," Jeongguk smiles, waving you off. "I'll figure it out by myself."

"Oh, umm...we're leaving in the afternoon," you say, and Jimin gives you a look that says, "I didn't hear about this!". You shush him and smile at Jeongguk. "We have to go look for Professor Acacia."

"Professor Acacia? What happened?"

"Umm...we think something attacked her, and well..." you fidget. "We're going to go look for her."

Jeongguk nods. "Good luck. I'm setting off on a journey myself tomorrow."

"Okay," you nod, and look towards Jimin as you get up from the ground with your new Pokemon, again missing the murderous stare Jimin is throwing at Jeongguk. "We might see each other around then, Jeongguk-ssi!" 

"Perhaps," Jeongguk answers, nodding again before heading into his own house to unpack.

You hum a little tune as you walk back to your own, getting ready to prepare for your journey, but you can feel someone staring holes at the back of your head.

"Jiminnie?"

Jimin refuses to answer, and when you turn over, you find him giving you an annoyed look. "What's wrong, Jimin-ah?"

"Nothing," Jimin stalks past you and towards his own house. Is he going to leave you to journey Oakre alone? You begin to worry as his Growlithe gives you an apologetic look, before heading back towards its Trainer's house and settling itself down on the porch.

"Huh, I wonder what that was about," you tell Oddish as you head into your house, and start packing.

********************************************************

Just as you are saying your goodbyes to Bausn Town, you hear someone running up to you. You turn around to find Growlithe pushing you to the ground, and you laugh as it your face, and someone towers over you.

"Come on," he smiles, the dissatisfaction from earlier dissipitated. "We're not going to reach Naslu by sundown if you keep dilly-dallying."

"Tell that to Growlithe," you smile as you get up from the ground, Oddish looking up at you worriedly, and Chimchar is simply confused. It's only then that you do notice Snivy trailing behind Jimin, looking a little apprehensive.

"First stop! Naslu City!" 

*********************************************************

This is a super short and super crap chapter I really can't start a story :( anyways the next chapters should be better!