... With a Playboy's Halo

The One...

DONGHYUCK 

 

The theater club is practicing for the annual play. Since I came up with the ideas of Cinderoncé and Peter Perry, I have to be at every practice in order to help the boss man, a.k.a the director, direct. I'm halfway through writing the last part of the Cinderoncé when I notice a little flicker of annoyance in the corner of my eyes. 

 

Mark have been hanging around the theater club a lot lately and it's because he wants to spend time with me. That's not a problem. The problem is that he got a lot of attention from the female members of the club that it gets a bit annoying from me. Sure, Mark is the epitome of perfection but keep your on, geez. 

 

I bitterly bite on the pen I'm holding to avoid yelling at the squealing freshman girls. Mark, being the nice jerk he is, just goes along with it and entertains them.

 

"Well, aren't you jealous?"

 

I look up a bit and see Soona, Mark's ex-girlfriend, taking a seat next to me. "No..."

 

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it," She laughs as she took a bite from her Red Vine. "Mark is a natural attention magnet. Girls and guys just want to surround him, if you haven't noticed already."

 

"I've noticed," I answer before getting back to writing the play. The binder I'm using hold all of my little musical creations, something I do in my free time. I find it enjoyable.

 

"What's this?" Soona pulls out a music sheet from my binder. I barely saw the title but I let her read it. I keep all of the embarrassing songs at home so I'm not worrying.

 

"The Playboy Song," She half reads half laughs. My brain went into overdrive and I try to snatch it out of her hand. Soona was taller than me so she easily keeps the music sheets out of my reach. "Is this song about Mark? You are jealous!"

 

"Shut up!" I try to shush her. "Give it back."

 

"Hold on, I want to play it," She jump onto the stage and walk toward the keyboard in the corner of the stage where we keep all the instruments. "You got skills. This song is kinda hard to play. Hey! Can someone play the keyboard?"

 

"Fine," I hesitated but I grab a mic.

 

The band kids look over to the music sheet and start playing. Those kids are a musical genius because they can just look over the sheets once or twice. As they start playing, the stage lit up, courtesy to the lighting crews, and retro disco music filled the auditorium. (This is a rough translation from a Vietnamese song I like. Listen to it just because) I wrote this song based on how I see Mark, especially when he flirt with other people, whether is intentionally or unintentionally. It's a very playful song where the "girl" is angry at her boyfriend for being a social butterfly and a flirter.

 

Soona: My friends often tell me about how luck runs in my family. Having a handsome lover nicknamed playboy. 

 

Donghyuck: Life is good. With love is passionate like sweet tea, who wouldn't dream of this?

 

Soona: But I am still not satisfied. Even though my lover is very faithful.

 

Donghyuck: Life is unpredictable. Being a playboy is hard work because every Playboy is a social butterfly.

 

Soona: What's a social butterfly? If I take your wings away, would you still fly away? What's a playboy? If I don't let you play, would you still stay? A pretty boy, charming and charismatic. 

 

Donghyuck: Shining eyes that look out for the ladies.

 

Soona: With a playboy lover, you have to spy on him. Because a playboy is rarely known for being faithful.

 

Donghyuck: Known for being a charmer, and also a social butterfly. Pity the one who's in love with a playboy. The one that has to deal with it all.

 

Both: Because of the Playboy.

 

There's a small dance break here so Soona twirl around me. She pulls me along with her as she steps along to the energetic beats. By now, Mark's attention has been turned to the stage. I saw this in the corner of my eyes. Hopefully, he knows this song is about him. Of course, I won't stop him from talking to girls. That's ridiculous, but at least have the decency to control himself.

 

Soona: But I am still not satisfied. Even though my lover is very faithful.

 

Donghyuck: Life is unpredictable. Being a playboy is hard work because every Playboy is a social butterfly.

 

Soona: What's a social butterfly? If I take your wings away, would you still fly away? What's a playboy? If I don't let you play, would you still stay? A pretty boy, charming and charismatic. 

 

Donghyuck: Shining eyes that look out for the ladies.

 

Soona: With a playboy lover, you have to spy on him. Because a playboy is rarely known for being faithful.

 

Donghyuck: Known for being a charmer, and also a social butterfly. Pity the one who's in love with a playboy. The one that has to deal with it all. Because of the Playboy.

 

Both: Known for being a charmer, and also a social butterfly. Pity the one who's in love with a playboy. The one that has to deal with it all. Because of the Playboy.

 

Soona finished by hopping onto my back and threw up a peace sign. It's not that the song was hard to sing but we dance and move around a lot while singing so the two of us were out of breath. Everyone in the auditorium/the entire theater club clap for us. A couple of girls ran up to Soona and chat animely to her. I quickly run for the music sheet and try to hide it from Mark. However, the odd is against me as Mark pull the music sheet out of my hand.

 

"This song is pretty legit," Mark bops his head to the beat that was playing while we sang. "I wonder who's the playboy in the song?"

 

I smile nervously as a sweat slowly rolls down my neck. It's a wonder how oblivious Mark is. I bluntly say the Playboy is the lover so I was hoping he can put two and two together. Suddenly, he hugs me tightly. Then, he kisses my cheek as he pulls away.

 

"I know I might not be the most faithful guy by appearance but I promise I will never ever look at another person that way I look at you," He whisper softly to me as he kisses the back of my hand. "That's why I will sing for you today."

 

"What? Are you crazy?" I quickly pull him going to the stage. "I've never heard you sing before."

 

"It's ok," Mark grins at me. "Singing is 80 percent about emotion and 20 percent actual skill. As long as I can convey how much I love you, then I don't care if I sounded like a dying walrus."

 

He pulls his hand away as he ran onstage. The band kids crowded around him as he explains to them whatever song he's going to sing. To be honest, I am very nervous as I've honestly never heard him sing before, even in the shower. Now, now, I'm not saying I have been in his bathroom as he showers. I am his butler at home so I was outside the door while he's showering. It's not weird at all. 

 

"Come on, sit down and relax," Jaemin suddenly appears out of nowhere. "Sorry, Jeno and I came when you and Mark's ex were in the middle of singing. Was that song your? Because I've never heard that song before."

 

"I wrote it," I answer him.

 

"Dang, that's cool," Jaemin gasps. "Hey, promise me, if I ever become a famous singer, you'll write a lot of sing for me."

 

He held out his pinky and I connect it to mine and smile at him. "Alright, I promise."

 

"Ahem, can I get your attention please?" Mark spokes through the mic. "I know this may be a bad follow-up to that amazing song but I'm gonna try my best. This song is dedicated to my hot-as- boyfriend. I know, sorry ladies. I play for the other team." (please listen to this)

 

The music started as I immediately recognize the song. 

 

Mark:

Remember those walls I built
Well, baby, they're tumbling down
And they didn't even put up a fight
They didn't even make a sound

I found a way to let you win
But I never really had a doubt
Standing in the light of your halo
I got my angel now

It's like I've been awakened
Every rule I had you break it
It's the risk that I'm taking
I ain't never gonna shut you out

Everywhere I'm looking now
I'm surrounded by your embrace
Baby, I can see your halo
You know you're my saving grace

You're everything I need and more
It's written all over your face
Baby, I can feel your halo
Pray it won't fade away

I can feel your halo (halo) halo

Hit me like a ray of sun
Burning through my darkest night
You're the only one that I want
Think I'm addicted to your light

I swore I'd never fall again
But this don't even feel like falling
Gravity can't forget
To pull me back to the ground again

Feels like I've been awakened
Every rule I had you break it
The risk that I'm taking
I'm never gonna shut you out

Everywhere I'm looking now
I'm surrounded by your embrace
Baby, I can see your halo
You know you're my saving grace

You're everything I need and more
It's written all over your face
Baby, I can feel your halo
Pray it won't fade away

I can feel your halo (halo) halo

 

Mark was right. Singing is really 80 percent in emotion. I can feel his emotion as he sings "Halo" by Beyoncé. I honestly did not know that's how he feel about me. Really, I never would have thought that I meant that much to him. Jaemin is pouting right now, probably due to the cuteness of this whole scene. I quickly rush onto the stage and hug Mark. Everyone awed and some of the girl squeal. 

 

I'm kinda embarrassed right now. Mark just literally confess how much he love me in front of everyone. He's a little too crazy for me. However, these kinds of crazies are the ones that made you go to the moon and back. Maybe I should stop writing songs like "Playboy" about Mark. 

 

"Oh my gosh Donghyuck!" I hear girls scream as I found myself suddenly surrounded by them. From teddy bear to lunch boxes, I have gifts launched toward me in every direction. When I look over to Mark for help, I saw that he stood there with his arms crossed against his chest and his face had an amused look on it. "You're so cute! You're so handsome, Oppa!!!"

 

Now, I know how he felt. Maybe I should just lay off of him for the flirting problem. With my pleading eyes, I look at him for help. Mark finally smirks and grab my hand in the crowd of females to pull me out of there. We made a run for the backstage. However, I find myself pushed against the wall when we are alone.

 

"Do you want me to stop flirting with other?"

 

"Y-Yes, I mean, it would be nice if you stop."

 

"But you won't let me flirt with you," Mark's voice got deeper somehow and his breath smells like those mint gums I always find in his backpack. "I have to be naughty sometimes."

 

I thought about what he said for a second and realize what he meant. "I guess, you can be naughty sometimes. But now with anyone else."

 

"Are you inferring to me being naughty with you?"

 

"No yet!"

 

"Of course, but at least, let me get close to it."

 

"O-Ok."


 

JAEMIN

 

"No Jeno, it's ok, the club isn't doing much today except passing out the script for the play, I'll send it to you," I said over the phone. 

 

Jeno couldn't make it to the practice today because of family obligations. However, he panics too much and it is absolutely adorable. The club has only started to make the props and backgrounds so we aren't practicing anything yet. He worried he might miss an important act. Girls were screaming on the stage for some reason so I have to find a quiet place.

 

"It's alright, I'll see you later, ok?" I cut a corner to the back of the stage. "What? Renjun? The new Chinese kid? What about him?"

 

"His parents are business partners with mine so I have to take care of him," Jeno answers from the phone.

 

 "I see," I replied. "We can hang out with him tomorrow. Hold on, I think I hear Donghyuck's voice."

 

I peek around the corner to the storage place where the director kept all the cardboard for props. Donghyuck was standing there with his back against the wall, with his fist against his mouth. What's he doing? I hope he's fine because his face is really red. I was about to approach him when I notice Mark on his knee. What the hell is he- OH MY GOSH!!! I sprint out of there in high speed.

 

"What's wrong, Jaemin?" Jeno asks, still on the phone.

 

"I'm a good person, Jeno," I almost cry. "Why do bad thing happen to good people?"


 

Sorry for the wait. College life finally starts kicking my . Luckily, I only got three more finals before summer break. On a better note, I've figured out a direction to go with this story. Hopefully, you readers will like it. It will include some dramas, time skip, emotion roller coaster, and lots of hint about , but you know that since you got this far. Anyway, drop a comment and let me know what you think about this chapter. Too y or not y enough? 

 

FIGHTING!!!