Chapter 6

Unexpected Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Baekhyun's P.O.V

“I'm sorry...”

 

Baekhyun yawns tired as his teacher sighs again. This is the third time Baekhyun yawns during the lesson which makes his teacher look really irritated. Chen smiles apologizing from the corner of the room as Baekhyun tries even harder to pick the right fork and the right knife.

 

“During the first dish that is served, which fork do you use?”
“T-This one?”
“No, definitely not.”
“T-Then this one?”
“No.”

 

Baekhyun tries to not yawn as he studies the forks. He should be able to do this, but he gets so confused about all those forks and how they lay and it makes his head hurt. Oh god, he can't think with these many forks and knives in front of him!

 

“Uhm... This one?”
“Yes, that one. Now the knife.”
“It's this one.”
“Finally, you have begun to understand. Okay, the main dish gets served, which fork do you use?”
“I-It has to be this one.”
“No...”
“Then it's this one.”
“Yes. And the knife?”
“This one.”
“Good. Now the first dish isn't a salad without soup, which spoon do you use?”
“This one.”
“Finally, you're getting the hint. It's dessert time: which fork do you use or which spoon?”

 

Baekhyun takes his time to find the right fork and spoon as his teacher watches him carefully. They have been going through this over and over again, yet he seems to never learn. To him, every fork and spoon look the same, it's only the knives he can see the difference on. But after almost two whole hours of practice, Baekhyun begins to slowly understand which fork and which spoon he should use to which dish and when and how.

 

“Finally! Now, we just have to teach you about teacups and tea ceremonies, but that will have to wait till next lesson.”
“Thank you for your patience.”

 

Chen steps into the conversation as Baekhyun bows and gets up from his chair. His last class is finally over for the day! The teacher smiles at Chen before she leaves the room without even paying Baekhyun any attention. She probably hates him after the long and irritating lesson she had with him.

 

“Was I really that bad?”

 

Baekhyun asks when he's sure that his teacher is out of the room. Chen sighs tired as he puts everything together into different boxes so he can put it away. Baekhyun is fast to help him to pick everything together, but Chen stops with what he's doing as fast Baekhyun starts helping him.

 

“What are you doing?”
“H-Helping you.”
“No no no! That's a big no!”
“W-Why?”
“Because you're the soon-to-be-fiance!”
“But-”
“Nobles don't help their assistants like this!”
“S-Sorry...?”
“I know you want to help, but this is my job and you're supposed to order me around and-”
“I won't ever do that Chen. I hate ordering people around... I want to help...”

 

Baekhyun mumbles as Chen stares surprised at him. Is it really that rare for someone to want to help him? Even noble people must want to help their maids or servants out sometimes, right? He means, Chen isn't a servant or maid, he's an assistant and a friend. Baekhyun wants to help someone like Chen if he can.

 

“I... But... Fine, but only this time.”

 

Baekhyun smiles happily as he gathers all the plates for Chen who takes all the cutlery. Then they walk towards the kitchen as Xiumin comes walking towards them. When he sees Baekhyun carrying the plates, he sighs loudly and is fast to take the plates away from him.

 

“Mr. Byun Baekhyun, what do you think you're-?”
“It's my fault honey, I couldn't say no. He refused to let me go without him helping me out.”
“But it's-”
“I know, it doesn't fit a noble young man to do that. But he's not a noble young man yet.”
“That's true... But soon.”
“Still, I want to help.”
“Let us do it, okay? It's nice of you, but try to let us do it on our own.”
“O-Okay... Can I help you with anything?”
“You didn't listen at all...”
“I-I did!”
“Aren't you supposed to go to your room and take it easy?”
“Or read a book? We got plenty of books!”
“Maybe...”
“Don't go and sleep again this time, else you won't sleep anything tonight.”
“Y-Yes sir... I don't know why I feel asleep, it was almost like... I don't know.”
“We will call you when it's dinner time.”
“Okay...”

 

Baekhyun nods as Chen and Xiumin walk downstairs with the plates and cutlery from Baekhyun's lesson. Baekhyun sighs as he stands awkwardly in the corridor. What is he supposed to do now? Baekhyun thought a little about what Chen and Xiumin suggested and therefor decides to go and find himself a book. It can't hurt to read, right? And he might find a very interesting book as well.

 

***

 

Time passes Baekhyun pretty fast now when he got a book to read. Baekhyun sits in the calm and quiet living room as he can't help but to sigh when he finishes his book that he picked out to read a couple of hours ago. Just when Baekhyun puts down the book on his lap, Xiumin enters the room and bows towards Baekhyun with a smile on his lips.

 

“Mr. Byun, it's soon dinner. It's time to get ready.”
“I see, then I will go and change clothes-”
“That's not needed for today. We just want you to wash your hands and make sure that you're not dizzy again.”

 

Baekhyun nods as he gets up and puts away the book he has finished. Xiumin watches him put away the book before Baekhyun leaves the room. He hurries to walk over to his bathroom and washes his hand and refresh himself a little before he is done. As Baekhyun is on his way down to the dinner hall, Xiumin comes walking towards him with something in his hand as he smiles big towards him.

 

“Wait Baekhyun, can I have a word with you?”
“Sure, what is it?”
“I saw you put away a book and I assumed you finished it: or am I wrong?”
“No, I-I have finished it.”
“You're a quick reader, I must say that. I thought that maybe you would like to write something on your own, so I got you this. It's one of the finest notebooks we got. Use it however you want. You can use it as a journal or diary or to write small stories if you feel like it. As long as you're happy.”

 

Baekhyun feels speechless as he receives the book from Xiumin who smiles proudly. This is... so weird. Baekhyun has never considered to write before and he won't write stories to be honest, but... Maybe it's not such a bad idea to write a diary? Maybe...? Maybe he can send his diary to his parents or sisters when it's done to let them know how he has it here? It's just an idea, but Baekhyun kind of likes it.

 

“Thank you Xiumin, you're so kind.”
“No problem. I just thought about it and it can't hurt to give you a notebook, right?”

 

Baekhyun laughs lightly and happily as Xiumin smiles kindly towards him. Baekhyun decides to put away his book and excuses himself once again. Xiumin walks downstairs to prepare the last few things for the dinner and Baekhyun walks towards his room to put away the fancy notebook he got.

He enters his room quickly as he puts down his notebook in a small drawer on his nightstand. Here he can hide it, but only for the moment. If it's going to be a diary, then he will need a good place to hide it. So therefor he should start to think of or consider a place to hide his precious diary at. But not right now, he has other things he needs to do for first.

 

***

 

Chanyeol eats in silence as he drinks some wine from his glass. Does he drink wine every night? Baekhyun tries to not think about it as he sips on his water in silence. Chanyeol hasn't said that much since Baekhyun sat down to eat with him, which is both good and bad.

Baekhyun isn't sure why, but he expected Chanyeol to ask him a lot of questions about his day and how his lessons are going. But Chanyeol hasn't even opened his mouth to say anything since they begun to eat. He just greeted Baekhyun when he came downstairs to eat and then he fell silent.

Baekhyun holds in a sigh as Chanyeol suddenly rise from his chair and fixes his blazer fast. Baekhyun stands up as well as he understands that Chanyeol is taking his leave now. He probably have something really important to do.

 

“Thank you for the dinner.”
“I'm not the chef, am I? Now, I will have to go. Take your time to eat, you're not in a hurry anyway. I will see you tomorrow.”
“Yes sir Chanyeol.”

 

Baekhyun bows as Chanyeol leaves the room without even saying a proper goodbye. Baekhyun holds in his sighs as he sits down on his chair again and stares down at his plate. He's not even near finished, yet he sits here alone. It's kind of boring to sit here alone. He wishes that he's home with his family, where you sit by the table and eat dinner with everyone till everyone is finished.

Baekhyun feels a lump inside of his stomach grow stronger as he picks up his fork and pokes the food in silence. He wants to be home... He wants to go home... He wants to see his family... He just wants to call them and make sure that they're alright and assure them that he's alright.

 

***

~October 4, Wednesday. Hello dearest diary.
Today is the first time I write in you. I know this might sound weird, but today was a pretty okay day after I spent my first whole day here at the mansion. I came here yesterday and learned a lot about the house I live in and about all those lessons I need to take. I also met Mr. Park Chanyeol, my soon-to-be-fiance.
To be honest, he's quite scary and I'm not sure what I think about him. But this far he has tried to be nice, though he's actually quite cold and almost rude mostly of the time. Or at least towards me he is.
Well, I don't have that much to say today, but I will write as fast something different or important happens, I promise. Until then, take care.~

 

Baekhyun closes his diary as he puts it into his drawer on the night stand. Baekhyun nods happily as he yawns tired. It's late, but he's still awake. He should be asleep, like Xiumin and Chen tell him, but he can't sleep. He doesn't know why, but he can't sleep. It feels like something is keeping him awake which he now knows is his worries.

 

“I should try to sleep...”

 

Baekhyun mumbles for himself as he closes his eyes and tries to fall asleep. But it doesn't go so well. Baekhyun sits up after a couple of minutes of trying to fall asleep as he exhales loudly. Why must everything be so hard tonight? Why can't he just push his worries to the side and sleep like everyone else?

Baekhyun sighs again as he is about to lie down on the bed when he suddenly hears how it knocks on the door. Baekhyun feels confused, but he's fast to answer the door anyway. Whoever it is, he doesn't want to make that person wait for him to let them in.

 

“Come in.”

 

Baekhyun watches the door get open gently as a familiar face appears in front of him. Baekhyun smiles kindly towards Lay, the chef, who comes in with a tray in his hands. Baekhyun turns on his nightstand lamp as Lay walks over and sits down on the bed beside Baekhyun.

 

“Good evening Baekhyun-ah.”
“Good ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter