Chapter 20

Unexpected Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Baekhyun's P.O.V

Baekhyun silently walks into his and Chanyeol's bedroom and sighs out loud. So the Christmas plans and the New year plans are finally settled, though he didn't get to say anything about it. It might actually be his own fault because he acted quite childish towards Chanyeol. On the other hand, Chanyeol could have respected Baekhyun more and tried to listen to him.

But now when everything is settled, there is no reason to sulk about it. Instead he should try to make the best out of the situation. Chanyeol does want them to get a better relationship between each other, though probably a friendly one. Baekhyun wouldn't be able to even try to act like a real lover towards Chanyeol.

 

“That's right, it's totally impossible to be a lover towards him. I'm not even near to act like one!”

 

Baekhyun nods as he walks over to his drawer and opens it. He wants to change his clothes, since he wants to go out for a walk. While he looks around he happens to find something else that he nearly has forgotten. Baekhyun carefully picks up the small package that is decorated nicely and has a little card to it. It's Chanyeol's birthday gift.

Baekhyun stares at the gift for a long time before he lets out a sigh. He can't just throw this away and he can't let it be Chanyeol's Christmas gift, because the gifts are already in a package and it's decorated to nicely. It took Baekhyun's hours to get it look this perfect, yet he never gave it to Chanyeol. The same goes for the cake he baked and tried to decorated with all his might.

Baekhyun sits down on his bed and sighs again. All his hard work he put into Chanyeol's mini birthday was all ruined because his office was wrecked. It's not Chanyeol's fault nor is it Baekhyun's, but someone is responsible for the wrecked office. If that never had happened, maybe Chanyeol and Baekhyun would be on better terms right now?

 

“Knock knock.”

 

Baekhyun hurries to hide the gift behind his back as fast he hears someone enter the room. To his relief it's only Chen who enters with a smile on his lips. Though he notices right away that Baekhyun is hiding something behind his back. Chen gives him a suspicious stare as Baekhyun hurries to show what he's hiding. As fast Chen sees the package, he looks less suspicious and rather curious.

 

“What's that? Is that what I think it is?”
“Close the door and I will tell you.”

 

Chen hurries to close the door before he walks over to the bed Baekhyun's is sitting on. He joins him to sit down on the bed and takes a closer look at the nicely decorated package.

 

“It was supposed to be Chanyeol's birthday gift. I had even baked a cake for him, but then everything got ruined by the office incident. I haven't had the chance to give it to him, but after the argue about the Christmas and New year plans, it feels like a stupid idea to give it to him.”
“Why would that be a stupid idea? It can be a let's forget everything that happened gift.”
“No, I don't want it to be such a gift.”
“Then why don't you give it to him as a Christmas gift?”
“I worked really hard to make it a perfect birthday gift, so it won't be a good Christmas gift. I even got a card and I decorated it so carefully. It took me hours you know!”

 

Chen chuckles, but he seems to understand Baekhyun's problem. It's not like Baekhyun still wants to give Chanyeol his stupid gift, but since he put down so many hours and hard work on it, it feels stupid to just put it aside. Besides... Baekhyun feels a little guilty after he screamed at Chanyeol about their Christmas plans. Chanyeol has tried to change, he even slept beside Baekhyun when he was scared.

 

“Chen... Can you and Xiumin distract Chanyeol for the rest of the day until dinner time?”
“What do you mean with distract him? Are you up to something bad?”
“No... I still think we should celebrate his birthday, like we should have celebrated yours. Why didn't you tell me about it?!”
“Because we don't celebrate birthdays here, it's something we all decided together.”
“Why not?”
“Because we live for a very long time and counting and getting gifts every year is a burden for us. Also, isn't it quite stupid to give someone who lives for a very long time a gift when he might never use it? Or he might use it once and then never again.”
“Y-Yah... D-Don't say that... I-I really put all of my hard work into this.”
“I know that, but I just wanted you to hear what we think about it. But... Since it's you, I don't think it's that stupid. If you have put all your hard work into this gift and into this small birthday party, then I think Chanyeol wouldn't mind it.”
“How can you be so sure? I mean... He's so... How should I say it...?”
“He's a little hard to handle and understand?”
“Yes and no. He's hard to handle and sometimes really hard to understand, but... Sometimes I just get the feeling that I'm just another business for him and nothing else. I'm not asking him to act like a super lover or something, but I'm asking him to at least try to be friendly towards me. That way it would be much easier to talk to him.”
“Like I have said before, Chanyeol is a little complicated. You have to give him some more time before he will dare to open up to you. But this whole birthday thing will probably make it easier for him to understand your feelings.”
“D-Don't make it sound like I'm trying to confess my love to him. It's not like that.”
“Haha, don't worry, I'm not saying anything like that. So, you want me and Xiumin to distract Chanyeol?”
“Yes, I'm going to break one of the rules today and I know it's stupid, but I'm going to bake a new stupid cake.”
“Are you sure that you want to do that?”
“Yes! It has to be the perfect cake! Lay said I could bake it again, so he won't mind.”

 

Chen sighs and chuckles at the same time. Baekhyun watches Chen smile as he gets up of the bed and stretches out his body.

 

“Don't worry, it won't be hard to distract Chanyeol. Go downstairs and do what's needed, I will tell Xiumin about your plan. So it's tonight we will celebrate?”
“Yes!”
“That was a very short and simple answer, but it's full of determination. Okay then, we will fix Chanyeol while you arrange the dinner with Lay.”
“C-Can I really... get to do that?”
“Well, it's your plan and your idea. Also, usually the housewife is the one who arrange parties and dinners. You should know that.”
“I-I do know about that! But I never thought you would let me do such thing before we get married. I'm so happy!”

 

Chen chuckles as Baekhyun hurries to hide the gift before he leaves the room. He has to hurry and get everything ready! He needs to speak to Lay and Yuri so they can set the table and he needs to start preparing the cake right away! They only have a few couple of hours, but they can make it if they work together!

 

***

 

“I thought you wouldn't do this. Didn't you say that you might not do anything like this?”
“I never said that! Though I might have given you that impression.”
“I also heard that you and Chanyeol had a huge argue earlier today, so I'm quite surprised that you're willing to do this.”
“I-It's not like I have forgiven him yet... But to let the gift and all my hard work go to waste, it's not acceptable! I'm going to show him what it truly means to be a family! He says we're a family, but acts like we're not. I'm going to show him the true power of a family!”

 

Lay laughs from the other corner of the room as Baekhyun feels how a blush spreads across his face. D-Did he just say such an embarrassing thing?! Baekhyun hurries to shake away the thoughts and decorates the last of the cake as carefully as he can.

 

“D-Don't misunderstand what I said...”
“Don't worry, I won't tell anyone about this conversation.”
“Y-Yah... D-Don't you dare to even utter a word I said!”

 

Lay laughs even more, but he's not teasing Baekhyun or bullying him. He's actually happy for him, which is weird. Baekhyun finishes the cake and takes a step back and stares at it. It's not the birthday cake he had planned to give Chanyeol at first, but this one will do. It doesn't look too bad though, even if he didn't have too much time to decorate it.

 

“Woah, it looks as good as the other one! Once again you have proven that you're a true chef! Like I said before, you really know how to cook and bake!”
“Yah, don't underestimate the power of a big brother! I have two younger sisters who I love dearly and making the perfect cake and dinner is nothing!”

 

Lay laughs as Baekhyun grabs a small knife and holds it up in the air like he has just won a battle against a dragon. Lay shakes his head in amusement before he goes back to be more serious and Baekhyun puts down the knife again.

 

“You did a good job, but I think it's time to get yourself cleaned up and ready for dinner. You got around 30 minutes before Chanyeol will come downstairs.”
“Ah, that's right! I will just check the table before I go!”
“Do so, tell us if we're missing something. Else the dinner is almost done!”

 

Baekhyun nods as he hurries out of the kitchen. He checks the table and stares at the beautiful flowers that sits in a vase on top of the table. There are candles around the vase and the silverware is on it's place. There are also beautiful wineglasses placed on the table and a wine bottle stands there as well. This wasn't really how Baekhyun's had imagined the table to look like, because he thought he would try to make a birthday party here, not a romantic dinner.

Baekhyun starts blushing when he thinks about the whole romantic aura he gets. Maybe he should hurry to change something? But it looks really good too. Well, Chanyeol won't mistaken it for a romantic dinner if Baekhyun says it's a mini birthday celebration just between the two of them. Right?

 

***

 

Baekhyun hurries to get dressed and fixes his hair quickly. He managed to get it dry right in time before he has to go downstairs. Baekhyun walks towards the stairs quickly as Chen and Xiumin come walking towards him. They're dressed up in nice uniforms, like real butlers. Baekhyun nearly gasps at them as they smile towards him.

 

“You look good Baekhyun-ah. Are you ready for Chanyeol's surprise?”
“Y-You look amazing! I never told you to dress up though.”
“We saw the atmosphere downstairs and thought we should dress up as well. We even managed to fool Chanyeol to dress up.”
“How did you do that? He doesn't suspect anything, does he?”
“Okay, he thinks that Luhan is coming over and will have dinner with us. He didn't want to dress up, but we managed to lie and say that Luhan really wanted to have a formal dinner for once. Chanyeol didn't seem to get fooled at first, but after a while he went to get dressed.”
“Woah, I must say that I'm very impressed with you two.”

 

Chen and Xiumin smile and they walk downstairs together. Chanyeol should come any minute now, so Baekhyun better get to his place.

 

“Ah, that's right, do you have his gift Baekhyun?”
“Yes, I took it downstairs earlier in case he would get the idea to look through my drawer. Not that I believe that you have misplaced our clothes, but he might want to decide what I should wear for the dinner. Not that he actually has done that before, but I just wanted to make sure that he wouldn't accidentally find it.”

 

Chen and Xiumin smile and nod to an answer as they finally arrive to the dinning hall. The candles are lit and the room is filled with the sweet scent from the flowers. Baekhyun stares at the table in silence and admires his own hard work. He still doesn't want Chanyeol or the others to misunderstand it though, it's just a friendly dinner here. It's not a romantic dinner!

 

“He's coming, so get ready.”

 

Baekhyun nods as he hurries to fix his hair and shirt to make sure that everything looks okay. Then he turns towards the door opening and waits for Chanyeol. Oh god, Baekhyun is feeling a little nervous now. What if Chanyeol doesn't like it? What if he gets angry? What if Baekhyun does something wrong?

Baekhyun tries to shake the weird thoughts away as he shakes his head quickly: now is not the time to regret doing this! Baekhyun takes a deep breath before Chanyeol finally enters the room. He stops dead in the door opening and stares at the nicely set table and at Baekhyun who stands by his chair. Xiumin and Chen hurry to clear the throat and bow towards Chanyeol.

 

“Sir Chanyeol, welcome to the dinner.”
“Please have a seat and enjoy the dinner to your fullest.”

 

Chen and Xiumin then leave the room to get the food ready, while Chanyeol only stares at Baekhyun with expressionless eyes. Baekhyun struggles to not lose his smile on hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter