Drowsy

Dr. Jeon

You were awake. You were awake but unmoving. The blinds to your room were pulled shut and you hadn’t moved in hours. The pounding in your skull had advised you not to.

 

Everything was going fine until your phone started vibrating in your purse that was nowhere near you. It was a nice time spent laying until you had to get up for it. The room was spinning from you staying in bed for so long and you could feel your last night’s contents begging to come spewing out.

 

Grabbing the annoying piece of electronic, you picked up and spat into it, “What?” before even checking the caller I.D.

 

“Well good morning sunshine.” It was Namjoon. His voice was cheery and you felt yourself moving your thumb to lower the call volume.

 

“What could you possibly need from me? It’s my only day off,” you basically cried into the phone.

 

“I just needed to check on you. You know, make sure you’re not dead in an ally or drugged up being sold over seas or anything. Just good person trying to be a good friend here.”

 

“Why would I be in an alley?” You rolled your eyes and crawled back into bed, phone wedged between your face and your shoulder.

 

“You don’t remember?” Namjoon’s voice rose a bit.

 

“Remember what?” Knowing your own drinking habits you became a bit nervous.

 

“Hotshot Dr. Jeon sat through dinner with you badmouthing him at the other end of the table and when I stood to take you home, he came over and insisted on taking you instead. I couldn’t even say no, you should’ve seen the look in his eyes.”

 

“WHAT HAPPENED?” Panic ran through you as you sat up straight to check out the condition of your room; clothes were thrown everywhere and there was trash all over the tables.

 

“Jesus! Lower the voice a bit missy,” Namjoon sounded far, probably pulled his face from his phone from your shrieking, “Yeah, Dr. Hotshot even put your coat on you and was even holding your purse for you. It was quiet the sight. You should’ve seen it. Everyone was so shocked.”

 

After Namjoon explained to you in detail about what a mess you were, you hung up and basically cried into your blanket the rest of the day.

 

This man had already made your life hell just over an accident and now you’ve talked to him while he was in ear-shot and you’ve even showed him that you were a slob, more reasons for him to pick on you, and you’ve even had him deal with your drunk self; he’s going to give you even more hell.

 

The only question is why he even bothered to take you home. What’s his deal?

 

The day passed by fast with you falling in and out of sleep, all the time worrying over going to work again.

 

~

 

“HELP!” a nurse had called out.

 

Rushing towards her and the quickly crowded room, you’re welcomed with the sight of a woman shaking crazily in her hospital bed.

 

You quickly made your way to her and pulled her onto her side.

 

“Call the doctor,” you half shouted to the nurse. She rushed outside and you continued to care for the woman lying in front of you.

 

You grabbed the mouth guard and stuck it in to keep her from biting her tongue off and you just stood there and held onto her tight. After not too long, strong arms came over yours and held onto the woman tighter than you could have.

 

“I got her arms, help me out with her legs,” Jungkook’s face was inches from yours and his hands were wrapped on the woman’s arms very closely to yours.

 

“Okay,” you quickly went to calm down her lower body to prevent her from hurting herself.

 

The two of you waited out her seizure quietly and the procedures done afterwards were quietly done as well. You would have thought he would have said something about the other night and about taking you home but not once did he mention it. Did Namjoon dream that scenario up or something?

 

Dr. Jeon was acting the same as usual, not anymore awkward or mean.

 

“Redo her blood work and get me a clearer MRI,” Dr. Jeon’s voice rang out suddenly, shocking you. He’s checking the woman’s heart beat again, eye completely avoiding you.

 

“Alright,” you say and go to grab her charts from her bed.

 

“And see me later during your lunch,” he says right before you leave the door.

Your mind starts racing with questions but you’re put on pause with all the other things you had to take care of.

 

Another day is going by of craziness in the hospital; today was one of the more crazy ones since you were on emergency room duty. You tiredly drop the woman’s chart into the bin for Dr. Jeon and the front desk woman shakes her head at you.

 

“You need to get some lunch, sweetie. You look like you’re about to faint,” she said to you.

 

“Yeah, I was due hours ago but the lady in 107 seized and Dr. Jeon had me redo her charts,” your arms were crossed over the front desk and your head was nuzzled tightly in them.

 

“You never get a break, do you?” She laughed at you. “Go clock out for lunch. I’ll let Dr. Jeon know.”

 

“Thanks Nancy,” you smiled at the kind lady and headed out.

 

Completely forgetting about Dr. Jeon, you grab food and sit down at one of the tables outside the cafeteria. The sun was shining onto your face and the wind was gently blowing your hair.

 

You quietly munched on your food and listened to the music the hospital had played through its speakers. Your alarm that you had set for lunch period signaled that you had 5 minutes to finish up and clock back in.

 

You were thinking about the last patient you had before going off for break, your mind was so twisted into it and you were so tired that you didn’t even notice the chair in front of you become occupied.

 

“Hey.”

 

And there the devil was, sitting before you. Dr. Jeon’s face was kept calm and he sat with much more leisure than you had; one leg over the other and a coffee in one hand.

 

“Hi Dr. Jeon,” you said.

 

“I told you to see me during your lunch,” his eyes didn’t meet yours.

 

“I was going to finish fast and then see you,” you lied. You had forgotten and your lunch was almost over already.

 

“Fine. Find me tomorrow before your lunch break then,” was all he said before the slickly got out of his chair and walked away.