Departure

Dr. Jeon

The conversation ended after that, abruptly, if you had to label the ending of it. And it was because of you. You couldn’t stand it anymore. There was so much going on at once and you were having too much of it at one time. With your sister popping up out of no where, acting like a fool in front of your boss, and then there wsa the fact that your boss was meeting your sister and trying to tell her that he was your boyfriend, when, he in fact, was not!

 

“Hey sis, you didn’t have to throw him out… I was just joking.” Your sister comes up to the front door where you were squatting next to. You hands in your hair and you eyes closed, thinking about a way to straighten things out.

 

You gather yourself quickly and stand up to face her, “You’re staying with me tonight. You’re going to tell me everything about this baby. We’re going to have a good time, and then I’ll deal with him tomorrow.”

 

A smile grows on her face and she’s already dragging you through the house. She randomly opens doors to find your bed room and you laugh at how crazy she is.

 

“Why do you have so many closets, geez woman!”

 

Hours later, she’d finally told you all she could fit into the short amount of time. She left her boyfriend she had run away with. She thought he was too clingy; she never did well with a sticky boyfriend. She got a job as a food critique while she was in Dubai. A man had seen her talking about the food to her friends she ade there and, boom, job.

 

It amazed you how much she actually accomplished. She even changed citys every few months. You couldn’t believe the sister you grew up with had flourished in the best way possible and still managed to be the same crazy girl that was defending you courageously in grade school.

 

She’s asleep next to you and you can’t help but have a fuzzy feeling all in your chest. You sister’s pregnant. You’re going to finally be an aunt.

 

She told you that she’s planning to stay in the city with you. They guy who got her pregnant, a close co-worker of hers, had actually moved over with her and was actually at a hotel waiting for her. She told you that she had never been happier than she was at that moment.

 

Then the whole co-worker and dating things nudges you over to Jungkook again. There’s only one enemy in this situation, and that’s the fact that he’s not only a co-worker, but a boss.

 

To tell him to go or to make him stay.

 

“You’re thinking about him, aren’t you?” Your sister’s voice scares the out of you.

 

“Holy crap, take it easy. Warn me next time! COUGH FIRST OR SOMETHING,” you half whispers to her, you don’t know why.

 

She laughs, “Sorry, girl. But really,” she’s sounding serious, “Tell me what’s going on. You didn’t get to tell me much.”

 

You’re silent, not really knowing where to start. She evidently already saw your problem but even then, you didn’t know what part to tell her first. So you start with the obvious.

 

“I like him,” you carefully say.

 

“Well no way, dip,” she throws at you, “Tell me what’s stopping you from being happy about liking him?”

 

“You don’t have to be mean!,” you say to her, rolling your eyes in the dark.

 

“I’m being as nice as I can be with your right now when you’re not making any sense,” she starts, “If you like him, date him. If he’s your boss and you like him, date him. If he makes you happy, date him. I don’t see the problem.”

 

“But it’s not allowed.”

 

She lets out a large quick sigh, “Are you seriously going to let the rules of a hospital tell you how to live your life?”

 

“If I wasn’t to stay employed, yeah?”

 

“How much do you like this guy?”

 

“I like him,” you say carefully again.

 

“Enough to put that aside? Because I think so,” she says back to you with even more carefulness in her voice than you had.

 

“Why do you say that?”

 

“Cause you’ve never pondered over a guy to this extent before. The baby sister I knew before didn’t even care for guys like this. She only cared for her grades. She was a total er for rules. And look at you now, potentially staking your job for him.”

 

She doesn’t wait for your response but instead turns her back to you and leaves you there to wonder about her amazing point that only she could make.

 

~

 

You knock on the door.

 

“Yes?” His voice rings out from the other side.

 

“Can I come in?”

 

“Sure,” he says. You push the door forward. Boxes. Boxes and boxes everywhere. He’s packing.

 

“You’re packing?” Your thoughts replicate themselves aloud.

 

Jungkook doesn’t stop moving. He doesn’t seem bothered by your words at all. He doesn’t seem to care that you’re there.

 

“Yeah. I leave tomorrow afternoon. Today, I pack, tomorrow, I work a morning shift and I’m out,” he says easily while you’re still standing at the door way in shock.

 

“Did something change over night? I thought we were going to talk about things?” Your voice is trembling but you’re trying to keep from giving him a sign that you’re actually wrecked inside.

 

“I made up my mind myself. You didn’t have time to talk to me.”

 

Guilt hits you. You made him leave the hospital. He’s going to go get a bigger and better job and you didn’t even get to spend that much time with him. You didn’t even get to the point where you could be okay with being together with him. Now, more than ever, you regret telling him no. You regret telling him that you didn’t want to be his girlfriend. Cause now that he’s going away, you’re seeing how easy it would’ve been if you were together instead.

 

“I have time now,” you try.

 

“I’m already almost done packing,” his eyes still don’t meet yours.

 

Silence except for the sound of his gathering his things into boxes.

 

“Okay… Goodbye then,” you say as quickly as you can before turning around and leaving.