Death Breaks Us, Death Joins Us

Thirteen Monsters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

They ran, away from the children of nuclear waste, their howls striking fear into the strongest of hearts. Nari took the lead, shouts of the others following her lead. The monsters bounded after them, snarling and snapping their hideous snouts. Fear was stricken on all their faces exempt two, Chanyeol’s and Nari’s. Anger burned deep behind his eyes, not a hint of fear in them. Adrenaline pumped through his veins as he sped away, running faster than most. But Nari was different, her face was slack and serious, only the faintest trace of fear. The thirteen of them were rounding a corner when one of them tumbled to the ground.

 

“YIXING!” Tao shouted, pulling the boy to his feet. He was lifting the boy’s arm over his shoulder when Nari saw them.

 

The beasts had caught up.

 

 

Their large shaggy bodies lumbered around the corner. Tao looked back at them, hastily trying to run from them.

 

 

“Let me go.” The dimpled boy whispered, his eyes sad and certain. He would rather Tao survive and he die. He was everything but helpful at the moment. It was better one of them die then both.

 

“Idiot.” Tao mumbled, glaring ahead of them. Sweat poured down his face. And though he tried to hide how hard it was to drag Lay along, the dimpled boy saw it.

 

“Tao, you can survive, just let me go. Please.”

 

Tao’s eyes widened the slightest bit and he spoke.

 

“You can survive.”

 

Tao pushed Lay forward, the dimpled boy shouted for him to stop. Everyone came to a halt as Tao ran, ran towards the beasts.

 

Lay didn’t look away as they grabbed his legs. Tao didn’t even struggle. Lay remained standing, alive, as his friend was torn apart by razor sharp teeth and growling snouts. Lay was still as still as Tao’s body. He was left wondering, how does one survive when there is no one to survive with?

 

 

“You survive with us.”

 

Lay met the ever-serious eyes of the strong girl, there was a pensive sorrow hiding behind the serious mask. She held her hand out, nudging her head to the running figures.

 

“We survive together.”

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

“I knew him too, Tao I mean. He went to the gym my appa owned, we’ve been friends as long as I can remember.” The strong girl, Ji Nari, sat beside him her eyes glued on the debris in front of her. The seven others were scattered around the small clearing, a sombre air hung over all their heads. It was strange to Lay. They hardly knew Tao yet they mourned him. Why?

 

“It

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter