Unprepared

Thirteen Monsters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai POV

 

I wasn’t prepared for this, for any of this. How could anyone be prepared this? I wasn’t prepared for the fires and the exploding debris. I wasn’t prepared to lose all I love, my family, my girlfriend, my friends, everyone. Nor was I prepared for all the death and mayhem that followed the first bombing. I wasn’t prepared for…the creatures that roamed the night. I wasn't prepared for the apocalypse.

 

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Three weeks  after the end of World War VII…

 

“Monggu don’t eat that!” I called out, jogging and picking up the fluffy white poodle. His fur was dirty and matted but I didn’t mind. He was the only family I had left. His leash was tied around my waist. Acting as a belt to keep up the pointed rod I used to defend myself against the crazed. That’s what I called them the things that were once human. Radiation morphed them into insane creatures that barely resembled a human. Though they were better than the beasts, at least with the crazed you could still tell they were once human. Their skin was translucent, their veins visible. Their skin rotted, leaving wounds all over their deformed bodies. They were always screaming and howling like the beasts except they always seemed to be in pain. Their shouts seemed desperate and hurt, as if they were asking us to end their miserable life. Some had tentacles growing from their mouths. Some had broken jaws filled with sharp rows of teeth. Their eyes, if they had eyes, were bloodshot and crazed, hence the name crazed. I guess if I am going to live alone in this dump that was once Seoul I might as well make my own terms for things. The crazed and the beasts were the only organisms that lived. I was alone.

  Blood surrounded a wounded body. Their clothes were torn, clawed apart by beasts. Long gashes ripped their skin. The body looked pretty fresh, maybe a day or two old, most likely from last night. Another dead survivor. I didn’t want to become a torn apart body that lay limp on the street, victim of the beasts.

 

 

 

 Humming a random tune I Monggu’s fear in a continuous pattern, trying to fill the gap made by war. My eyes searched the ground and wrecked shops and apartments for anything useful and anyone still alive. The stench of decaying bodies was normal now, funny how things changed so much in the past couple months. I used to have a family and a girlfriend. Now all I have is Monggu.

  Surprisingly, music is what I miss the most, apart from my family of course. I missed moving to the thumping beat of the music blasted in the club. I missed dancing to the soft melodies and losing myself in enchanting sound that is music.

 

“Do you miss it too Monggu? Music?” Monggu barked sharply in response. It echoed over the dead city. A month ago I would have worried it would attract the crazed and the beasts. I know now that they only come at night and dark places. Well, apart from the crazed but I knew how to kill them now. The heat burns the crazed. Trust me, I know from experience.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter