Part 3: Trials to Test the Soul: All Changed

Thirteen Monsters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His body was heavy, yet frail and delicate. He could see his ribs poking out from his sides. Each time he saw his reflection, he was startled by how he looked - he looked like a ghost of himself, an empty shell, an echo of himself. Hi was thinner than he had ever been before, and that was saying a lot. Locks of hair fell down his forehead, covering his eyes. He was breaking out in a cold sweat, what had they done to him? What had the done to him? 

Even he knew he was dying, anyone who saw him could see that. From his pale, sweaty skin to the gauntness in his skin, to the look in his eye. He looked like a corpse - or soon to be one at least.

An alarm went off in his room - no it his cell seeing as he was a prisoner  Yes that was right, he was a prisoner. They were killing him slowly. He sat up groggily, vision blurred. He heard the shouting first, loud and worried. Then he saw them, the guards that dragged him around each day. They were running past his door, armed and ready. He ran, or rather staggered, to the door watching them. He could hear what they were saying now.

“Subject 61 escaped! Detain Subject 61!” 

His eyes widened. Another Subject? Someone like me? All his time here, in this white-walled prison, he had never seen someone like him. 

Guards were running frantically, and he could see someone moving - someone who was no guard, or doctor but a subject, a prisoner, a survivor. A head of black curly hair came around the corner. The person was tall with bowed legs. He felt his heart hammering as the escapee came bolting toward his door, and his face coming closer, and closer. Close enough for him to make out his large, doe eyes and the square set of his jaw - and…
And…

And…...Chanyeol?


-

“That’s not possible, you saw him die.” Sehun said, as they all sat in a circle, far from listening ears. The guards didn’t seem to care that they were talking. All eyes were on Park Chanyeol,l whose big brown eyes were red from crying. 

“No. I saw him. I never actually saw him die, it was too dark to tell the difference between him and the beast - and..and the last time I saw himi he was yelling at me to run. In the morning when I went back, I saw his blood but not his body. I assumed he was...taken by the beasts but - but he could’ve been taken like we were. I saw him, I’m sure of it.”

“It does make sense,” Nari spoke up. She had been silent the entire time - silent for the past few days as well. Darkness flickered in her eyes, as it did in all of theirs, but there was something else in her eye, something none of them could recognize. “It wouldn’t be the first time there has been no body. I saw a man jump from the top of a building, when I went to check if he was alive or not there was nothing but blood and a shoe. Except, there were no beasts or crazed around, nothing could have moved him. At the time, I didn’t think much of it but now…”

Silence fell among the group, as it had so often before. Yet this one was heavier, darker and weighed down their hunched shoulders.

“...They called me a subject…” Chanyeol mumbled. “Subject 61.”


--

“Hyung! Hyung! Look what I found!” A little boy bounded up to him, the brightest grin on his face. The boy w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter