The Road To Paradise

Thirteen Monsters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“You chose wisely, Hyung. These subjects are truly something else.” An older man, in his late 30s, with slicked back greying hair smiled at the wall of screens in front of him. On his navy suit the name ‘Joo Jin Mo’ was stitched in silver. On those screens were ten images, each one of a person. A shorter boy with pale skin and an angel’s face was busy practicing fight moves, glancing at the camera know and then. One, with thick, heart lips and milky white skin, was spinning the rod to the IV drip, twirling it precisely. Below him was a male, on the shorter side, but he made up for height in muscle. He was standing on one hand, staring at the door with eyes as cold as ice. To the screen on the right, someone, with skin kissed by the sun and glaring intense eyes, was sharpening a piece of metal the size of a forearm with a dangerous smirk. Another was glaring at the camera whilst fiddling with machinery, he reminded Jin Mo of a cat up to no good. The screen next to it had a thin pale boy who just sat and stared blankly at something shiny in his hold, no emotion tinting his face. The screen below had a shorter boy who was busy making things out of cloth, his hair was fluffy as he moved with the precision that only came from practice. Another camera showed a person with high cheekbones and soft features, expertly fooling with the machinery and medication. The camera to the left of his showed a tall lanky man doing something strange. Laughing. He was laughing, not as if he were going crazy, but knowingly. As if he knew all the plans they had for him. Jin Mo would never admit this, but he shuddered at the sight of the laughing boy. The last screen displayed a girl, sitting calmly on her bed with her legs crossed. She looked relaxed, completely at peace, unlike the others she paid the camera no attention. Though he knew that the girl knew that it was there. He narrowed his eyes as his lips curved up. These were the best, and most interesting subjects so far.

“This lot is quite...intriguing.”

The man standing beside him, clad in a grey suit with ‘Ji Jin Hee’ inscribed on the pocket, chuckled. Out of all the subjects he has tested none had this type of reaction before - only those ones, but they still needed some...fine tuning. He set his jaw confidently.

“They are. Dr. Kim, please inform my brother here on the new set of subjects-you can skip the science talk. We leave those things to you and your team.”

A woman with slightly tanned skin, a strict face with skin pulled tight over her bones, came forth. She wore a pair of thin rimmed glasses, but they did nothing to hide the ice in her eyes. Her black hair was tied tightly into a bun at the top of her head. She held a clipboard in her hands.

      “It would be my pleasure, sir. So far, all nine subjects have shown signs of genetic changes, along with physical ones. Which corresponds with the data we collected from our past subjects.” A smile spread across her face as she began. She pointed to the boy holding the sharpened makeshift blade.

“Subject 88, Kim Jongin, hasn’t spoken once, nor showed much emotion - not even anger. We have only seen this reaction in one other subject, and that subject...they were promising.”

Jin Mo raised an eyebrow. “Were?”

Dr. Kim waved the question away, as if it were a fly buzzing in her ear.

 

“What’s more strange is the fact that he hasn’t attacked or even attempted escape, even though he has a weapon. He sits in the same place every day, sharpens that metal but does nothing else. He doesn’t move an inch when the guards come in.”
 

Dr. Kim moved onto to the next subject. “Subject 04, Byun Baekhyun, is showing signs the signs of a sociopath, with slight psychopathic tendencies. He shows no emotion, and his pulses and brain waves remain at a constant level, he has showed no sign of fear, anger, or escape. He tried to escape the second day, he attacked them and was he was led to believe that he killed two guards. Yet he showed no remorse or the slightest bit of guilt.”

 

“Subject 01, Kim Suho, hardly sleeps, and pushes his body to the limit every day. He shows hostility to the guards, and attempted to escape after seeing another subject, subject 13. He has only spoken to us once, and that was through the camera.”

“What did he ask?”

“Where is Kyungsoo?, that is subject 12, Do Kyungsoo. Other than that the subject hasn’t said anything.”


    “Subject 21, Kim Jongdae, he is a mechanic prodigy. Each time we enter his room he asks to see Kim Minseok, subject 99, On a daily basis he disassembles and reassembles the monitors, either back into their original form or into a completely different thing. He’s created weapons that put three of or guards into critical condition. He uses strange objects, such as cutlery, instead of tools-”

“-And he is quite the pickpocket, so is subject 99.” Jin Hee interjected, grinning. Jin Moo snickered.
    “Yes, they are. Now, Subject 99, Kim Minseok, he is like a tiger watching his prey. He has attacked six guards already, all of them are in critical condition, a few of them are...Anyway, because of these... incidents, we have had to stop supplying him utensils, salt, napkins and other things.” Jin Mo shuddered. He did not want to know why they had to stop supplying him with salt or napkins.

“ He also demands to see subject 21, based on the data we gathered before entering our custody, they balance each other. Subject 21 is rash, impulsive, subject 99 is reasonable, most of what he does is premeditated, scenarios played out in his head a million times. Together...there are so many possibilities.” A smug smirked was carved onto Jin Hee’s face, he sent his brother a bragging look.

 

“Subject, 94, shows reactions quite similar to Subject 04. He has

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter