|6|

[HIATUS] Bad At Being Good
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

After about an hour since they got done eating, Dahyun was scouting shops in the district, looking for potential interview candidates, wandering around as if she knew the area. After 10 minutes of walking around randomly, she came across a shop that peaked her interest.

Walking into the store, Dahyun immediately took notice of how crisp and clean the atmosphere was. She gazed around the small shop and laid her hands on a teapot that appeared to be old and vintage that sat right under a picture of a matured woman in a Hanbok in a place that appeared to be somewhere in Jeju Island.

Mingyu trailed right behind her and noticed her runing her hands around the pot.

"I don't think you're supposed to touch that," Mingyu suddenly cautioned Dahyun while cocking his head towards the sign that literally read: 'Do Not Touch Without Permission.'

Dahyun only took a quick look at Mingyu and then at the sign before steering her eyes back to the teapot. She looked up, but not at anything particuliar and started to zone out for a few moments before putting the teapot down carefully.

The teapot was a rich, deep, charcoal colored stone item with matching teacups placed to the side of it. It was quite heavy for a teapot, but she presumed it was because of the material it's made of. She marveled at the pot while placing it down carefully on the counter.

"That teapot was hand made at Jeju Island back when I was about your kids' age," an elderly man announced as he walked out of the back room with a cane for support. He was dressed in a traditional Hanbok and sported a white beard that reached down to half of his neck.

Dahyun and Mingyu immediately tensed up and averted their attention to this old man and bowed when he was upon their presence. The old man tilted his head to show he reeived their respects.

"I'm sorry for touching this, abeoji. It was the first thing that caught my eye and I didn't see your sign," Dahyun apologized and bowed again in forgiveness.

"Don't worry about it. It's been a while since I've gotten such young customers," the man said intriguingly.

"This teapot. Was it made by this woman?" Dahyun asked politely from the other side of the counter, looking at the picture of the matured woman.

The elderly man smiled behind his beared slightly, but enough to show in his eyes.

"Why, yes. Like I said before, it was hand made in Jeju Island back when I still wore a uniform like that." The man had a heavy expression and connected both of his hands atop his cane in front of him.

"If I may ask, did you know this woman?" Dahyun questioned.

Mingyu placed a hand on one of her shoulders gently and spoke up, "I'm sorry, hal-abeoji, I apologize on behalf of my peer for intruding on your time."

"What's the rush? As you two can tell, I do not get many visitors. Why don't you two come around here and have a cup of tea with me?"

The two looked at each other, Dahyun smiling and Mingyu with a face of defeat. They both rounded the corner and took a seat on the floor with the elderly man as he did indeed poured tea for the three of them.

After several minutes of silence while the elderly man was preparing their tea, he finally sat down and joined them.

"To answer your question...yes I did know that woman. She was my fiance. But sadly, she didn't live for our wedding due to her illness. Stage 4 cancer, to be exact actually. It was about 20 or so years ago, but it still brings emotion to my heart. If you kids want any advice from this at all, just know that love doesn't just come from a physical attraction and sometimes the reason the person you love leaves is the way they came into your life."

The elder man continued his story and the duo asked if they could use his story in their project. He agreed, then 4 cups of tea and a couple hours later, the two students were out of the antique shop, but not without first promising to visit again.

"See, wasn't so bad right?" Dahyun rhetorically asked Mingyu who was walking ahead of her.

"No, what was bad was how long it took. Do you not realize that it's almost 10 pm? The buses don't run this late around here," he lectured Dahyun.

"Oh, I didn't even realize...so what now?

Please log in to read the full chapter