|2|

[HIATUS] Bad At Being Good
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The bell for the lunch break rang and everyone sped out as if they had just gotten out of prison; that is, everyone except me and bad boy who's name was Kim Mingyu. Why did I have to share the same surname as this jerk? I was still packing my stuff in my bookbag and in the midst of that, I stole a glance his way-- oh wait, did I mention, I sat riiiiight next to him because this teacher sat us alphabetical order. Just great.

He didn't look like he was in a rush to go anywhere. He simply waited for the traffic of students to subdue and once it did, he got up and didn't acknowledge me at all before exiting the classroom leaving me completely alone. Alone. Something I probably will have to get used to here. We had 45 minutes for lunch, something way different from my old school.

I grabbed my wallet from my backpack and started heading down the stairs to the cafeteria, but suddenly stopped because someone was calling my name.

"Dahyun-ah?" I turned around and there he was: little hamster, Hoshi walking timidly towards me grasping his satchel's strap for dear life. I smiled widely upon his presence and waved to him because he was the only familiar face I know in this school.

"Ne, Hoshi?"

"U-um, Ms. Kim, the counselor, told me to come find you before lunch to show you around...I-I don't know if you want to..?"

I could tell he was nervous and quite shy so I tried to make him feel less burdened by grabbing his hand and saying, "Of course, Hoshi! Let's go! I can tell we will be great friends. What's your last name?"

And like this, I'd like to say that it was the start of a great friendship. We were about 15 minutes into the tour when I saw Mingyu sitting outside the building with headphones on, tapping to the rhythm of the music. I heard Hoshi rambling about the history behind this random vase, but I inturrupted him unknowingly and said aloud, "What's his problem?"

Hoshi heard me and stopped talking almost immediately. He looked in the same direction as I was and pulled me away from the area as if being in that specific spot would have triggered a bomb.

"I know you're new here, but I don't think being involved with Kim Mingyu is a great idea. That kid is..how do you said it nicely...? Heartless. Cold. Selfish. Or so I've heard. I went to middle school with him and he probably doesn't even know I exist. But besides that point, he's not the best guy to be around either....I'm sorry Dahyun-ah, I probably took a lot of your lunch time away..Come on, let's go to the cafeteria. You can meet my friends, too!"

Hoshi started walking away towards the cafeteria and I followed suit, but not before gazing upon Mingyu's interesting figure for a couple more moments. It's not that I wanted something to do with Mingyu, I just don't understand how someone could be so cold and quiet. Even students at my old school made an effort to show that they didn't like each other through fights and verbal arguments. But I'll bet money that Mingyu was that silent-killer who didn't mess with anyone even if he liked you.

===

We arrived at the lunchroom and I sat with Hoshi who was kind enough to invite me to sit with his friends. I met Jun, who is a foreign exchange student from China. He had his light ash brown hair styled up and was also kind of shy. Vernon was also a foreign exchange student. He is of Korean ethnicity, but from America. I was surprised to hear him speak such perfect Korean AND English. Damn, can I be him?

I also met three other girls,  Sana, Momo, and Mina, also foreign exchange students all from Japan. They were from my class and I could use some allies at this school. They were also the nicest people I've ever met, which was a little hard for me to believe.

Hoshi was the only "true" Korean amongst his group of friends, I noticed. All of his friends were foreigners, b

Please log in to read the full chapter