Week 9

Can't Judge a Song by its First Note

 

The sound of the alarm cut through his head like a dull chainsaw. Unable to open his eyes from the pain, he started randomly hitting what he guessed was his nightstand, hoping to eventually hit the alarm, silencing this insufferable, ear-splitting noise. After a few painful tries he heard the final cry of the alarm as it fell to its death. He wouldn't mourn it. At least not today.

He sat up in the bed, rubbing his sore hand, still not daring to open his eyes. The headache doubled in strength, pounding his brain to a pulp. He suppressed the need to vomit. He wasn't sure how he was going to make it to school. Under all other circumstances he wouldn't even have considered it, but of course it had to be Hanbin's class today. If he called him, asking for an exception this one time, would he hear his plea? No, definitely not.

 

"Jinhwan-ah, can you do me a favor.. please.." he whispered into the phone. He was lying on the bathroom floor balled up into the fetus position. He had somehow made it in here and started brushing his teeth, but his legs were unable to support his weight, though they had fought a good fight before giving in to gravity.

"You don't sound so good..." Jinhwan's voice was lined with worry.

Bobby asked him to buy him some strong painkillers, and him to school. Poor, sweet Jinhwan hurried over as if his behind had caught on fire.

 

"Bobby, Bobby?! Stand up, are you okay? Let's go to the doctor, huh?" Jinhwan sounded really scared, helping him up from the bed. Bobby had somehow managed to dress himself, but he didn't really remember how. He had actually been surprised when he realized he was wearing clothes.

"Nah, just give me the painkillers." he held his hand out with much effort, blinking as drops of cold sweat got into his eyes. It stung a bit.

"Bobby..." Jinhwan feebly objected, but gave him the pills anyway.

 

It took a few minutes, but the painkillers did their job, just barely. He got enough strength to wobble to the taxi, supported by Jinhwan.

"I really think you should go to the doctor, I'll come with you. We'll deal with professor Kim later. If he tries kicking us out, I'll go straight to the school board. I'm not afraid of him!" Jinhwan stated assertively, but he could see the doubt lurking behind his eyes. Bobby was touched that Jinhwan was prepared to risk so much for him. He truly was a good friend. He was lucky to have met him.

"I'm fine." Bobby squeezed out the best smile he could muster, but not quite nailing it if Jinhwan's expression was any indication. He was everything but convinced.

 

Bobby lay down on his desk, only meaning to close his eyes for a brief moment, but he lost consciousness the second his head touched the back of his arm.

 

"OUCH!" Bobby yelled, a sharp pain bringing him out of his stupor. The entire class was looking at him in surprise.

"Heh.." he grinned awkwardly until his eyes met Hanbin's. His stomach churned something awful. If it hadn't been empty he would have thrown up right then and there. The headache had started knocking on the door of his nervous system, threatening to barge in and show him a world of pain.

In a fit of bravery, or out of fear of the pain that was to come, his hand shot up.

"Yes?" Hanbin said in a skeptical tone.

"Professor, I really don't feel so good, is it okay if I go home?" Bobby said in a thin, shaky voice, his bravery pulling a no show. He prayed for him to say yes.

"Yes, of course! Go home, take a relaxing bath, go out with your friends, have fun! Hey, why don't we just all go and have fun? Who wants to stay in this stuffy classroom listening to my boring lecture anyway?" he said mockingly, the air around him clearly indicating that if he left now, he was out for good.

Bobby spent the rest of the class cursing Hanbin with his eyes. It was the only thing that got him through. Even though Hanbin acted like he wasn't there, Bobby was pretty sure he knew full well what his murderous eyes were trying to communicate.

 

The class was the longest one in the history of education. Bobby had lost all hope that it was ever going to end. But just when he was about to give up, the sweet, way too loud sound of the bell saved him from his misery. He stood up faster than anyone, but his body felt like it was made from rubber. He started seeing spots. At first only a couple of little ones dancing around the edge of his field of vision. They were almost kind of cute. But then their friends showed up, and before long an army of spots had taken his eyes hostage. And then everything went black.

 

Bobby heard the hushed whispers of at least two different people, but he didn't have the strength to open his eyes. He recognized Hanbin's sharp voice in an instant, but he couldn't place the other.

"I'll give him a bag of ringer as well, but the flu cocktail will knock him out for a few hours so it might be best if you stay the night." a lady's voice said, followed by the sound of light footsteps drawing further away. Bobby used all his strength to open his eyes, but nothing could prepare him for what they saw. Hanbin's beautiful almond eyes were filled with worry, his face stricken with fear and regret. Bobby got a vague ache in his chest, maybe he was terminally ill, he thought, a cloud of terror threatening to release a storm of epic proportions.

"Hh..a..." Bobby tried to speak but his throat was too sore. He took Hanbin completely by surprise, who panicked and managed to throw just about every single thing from the side table to the floor as he reached for the glass of water that had innocently stood on the table, waiting for him to regain consciousness.

"Why didn't you let me go home?! Couldn't you see how sick I was??!" he scolded Hanbin after a big gulp of water, but regretted it instantly. Hanbin's eyes grew even more sad, a pang of pain making his otherwise perfect face crooked.

"It's my fault. It's all my fault. I worked you too hard, you aren't used to this kind of workload, I don't know what I was thinking." Hanbin reeked of regret. Bobby resented the hidden implication that he wasn't strong enough for this line of work. He was strong. He was plenty strong. Everyone could get sick, it wasn't because he was weak. He knew he was overreacting, but he was genuinely hurt that Hanbin didn't think more of him.

"..and.. and yes, I admit it, I did notice that you were actually sick and should probably be sent home, but.. I couldn't give you preferential treatment, I just couldn't.. not you... and I didn't know it was this bad..." Hanbin sounded absolutely devastated.

"Why not me?" Bobby asked sullenly, even though he didn't really want to hear the answer. But it was time. It was time Hanbin owned up to his feelings. It was time he came clean and just admitted that he disliked him. That for no other reason than his personal distaste for him had he been bullying him this entire semester. He could feel the medication kick in, numbing his mind, but he forced it to stay sharp. He wanted to resolve this right here, right now.

"...because I'm not allowed to like you..." Hanbin let out a deep sigh of surrender, like he had been fighting an impossible fight with some higher power and was too tired to continue.

"What...?" Bobby couldn't hold on any longer. Before he was able to process this unbelievable piece of information, he out.