Week 13

Can't Judge a Song by its First Note

 

Bobby paced back and forth, changing his mind every other second. A part of him wanted to skip class in protest of how unbelievably stubborn and stupid Hanbin was being. He might be a musical genius, but that was where his genius ended. On the other hand, not showing up was taking it easy on him, then he didn't have to deal at all with what happened. He wasn't answering his calls, he wasn't showing up at the studio. The only way to get him to speak to him was by going to class. So in the end he stormed into the classroom, dramatically sitting down next to Jinhwan, fuming.

What's up with you?” Jinhwan seemed very taken aback.

What do you think! Or who, rather.” Bobby growled. He could not believe that he could kiss him like that, and then just return to normal old Hanbin. Hanbin, the royal jerk with a stick up his . He was convinced that this much chemistry could not go undetected, no matter how deep into denial you sank. It was as if time had stopped, and his mind was still stuck in the moment of the kiss, replaying it over and over again. He got goose bumps. He was completely hooked, all he could think about was getting a chance to do it over again, to relive it. He just wanted them to be together. It was not like they were in some historical drama where one of them was the future king and the other a lowly servant. There was nothing stopping them being together. There was no one that could keep them apart. Except Hanbin himself. He sighed so hard it became a grumble. That guy was just so frustrating.

Professor Kim, huh?” Jinhwan guessed correctly. Who else could it be.

 

When Hanbin entered the class he didn't even glance over to check if he was there or not. Bobby felt so inconsequential. How could he kiss him like that and just forget it and go about his life like nothing happened. That was a life changing kiss. It couldn't be undone. Their fates were now linked together no matter what, he was going to see to it. If Hanbin wanted to ruin his own life that was his prerogative, but Bobby was not going to allow him to ruin his life as well. He was not going to grow old always wandering 'what if', his heart forever pining over the one that got away. That was not his style.

The topic of today's class was about the true stories within the songs, and the impact they had on the song it self, on the composer and on its listeners.

Professor! Professor!!” Bobby's hand shot up.

What? You can see I'm teaching right... you can't just get out of listening to the lecture by trying to derail me.” Hanbin seemed on the fence.

I just have a question... it's related to the lecture, I promise.” Bobby swore wholeheartedly. Now all that was left was to try and mask what he had to say so it sounded like he was talking about the lecture.

Fine, what?” Hanbin said dryly.

So there's this song about two persons that are polar opposites but they fell madly in love.” Bobby started.

Sounds very boring and cliche.” Hanbin complained.

Actually they were based on the song's composers, so do you think it would benefit the song more if they were to deny themselves the passionate love that lies well within their grasp, or if they just went for it, no reservations, jumping off the cliff together and seeing what happened?” he was trying to convey to him how much of an idiot he really was being.

Generally, songs about love lost are more likely to appeal to the masses than happy endings.” Hanbin noted.

Okay, okay, I'll give you that one. But do you then think that the popularity of the song is more important than the lives of the two composers?” he kept pushing. He was pissed. He was not going to sit quietly and let him walk all over him anymore.

Well, in a way, the story is greater than its origin. A story can be immortalized in a song, going on to live forever, and so have many nursery rhymes and folk songs been handed down from generation to generation, connecting them together with the ever evolving thread of humanity. However the original protagonists have long since been forgotten. Still the story lives on. So a simple song can actually contain great power and it can shape the minds of generations.” Hanbin explained smugly, as if he had won the argument.

But if the protagonists are inevitably forgotten, does it matter whether it actually happened or not. The song can still have the sad ending, while the protagonists lived happily ever after. It's only a story after all.” Bobby concluded, triumphant.

True, but the phenomenon we are discussing today is how the truth is often much more powerful than fiction, and can thus be a great tool for the composer. After all, it is hard to express emotions you have never felt.” Hanbin refused to budge. This wasn't working. He was trying to compete with Hanbin on his home field, of course he was going to win, he had the advantage. He had to get him alone, somewhere he wasn't quite so confident. And somewhere they didn't have to speak in code.

 

Psst. Jinhwan. I need your help.” Bobby whispered.

Sure, what's up?” Jinhwan smiled his sweet smile.

I need you to get Professor Kim alone somewhere, I need to speak to him.” he said, realizing that sounded a bit weird.

Why don't you just make an appointment, he has office hours on Tuesday afternoons.” Jinhwan said, his face a big question mark.

It can't wait that long, and he's ignoring me... you know how he is.” Bobby frowned, hoping he wouldn't ask any more questions, since he had no answers for him.

Okay.” Jinhwan agreed hesitantly.

 

He's at the McDonalds two stations from the school.” Jinhwan's voice said over the phone. He sounded nervous.

What? McDonalds? What did you tell him?” Bobby asked skeptically.

That my bike had got a flat tire on the way home, so I was stuck at McDonalds, if he could come help me.” Jinhwan said in almost a whisper.

Are you kidding me?” he shook his head even though it couldn't be seen through the phone.

I tried. What was I supposed to say?” Jinhwan complained, feeling wronged when he had done his best to help him out.

Uhm, try ANYthing else?? Anyway.. you got him there.. that's what counts... I'm surprised he agreed to go though, you really are his favorite student.” Bobby couldn't help but be a little bit jealous, even though it was him who had asked him for this favor. “Thanks.” he told him and hung up.

 

Bobby tried swallowing the gigantic lump that was stuck in his throat and opened the door to McDonalds.

He saw Hanbin sitting at a table in the corner. He took a deep breath.

Hey.” he said, trying to sound like nothing was up. He sat down across from him. Hanbin did not look surprised. Not even a little bit.

Flat tire... really?” Hanbin raised his eyebrow, unimpressed.

I know... Jinhwan at lying...” Bobby chuckled feebly. “Why did you show up if you knew it was a set up?” he asked, not able to hold back his curiosity.

I knew you wouldn't stop pushing... so better here than you taking over my class with senseless discussions. So ask. I'll answer anything you want to know. But that's it. This ends here. After tonight it's professionalism and only professionalism throughout.” Hanbin said firmly, crossing his arms.

Why? Why can't we?” he didn't waste any time and just asked what was at the top of his mind.

I told you...” Hanbin sighed, he looked tired.

Just because you're my teacher? That seems like a super weak excuse. The class is over in 2-3 weeks, then you won't be my teacher anymore. If you are so obsessed about it, fine I'll wait until the semester is over, but there is no reason to end this just because you're a teacher at my school. I don't buy it.” he objected.

Is it because you're scared? You are not the first person on the planet to fall in love, you know. I'm scared too. I've never felt like this before. I'm like completely overwhelmed. I'm scared to the core. I'm basically handing you my heart and asking you nicely not to stomp on it.” he poured his heart out.

Or do you maybe already have a boyfriend?” he added, pouting. He just kept asking since he was actually scared of hearing his answer. He was terrified that he had changed his mind. That he had suddenly realized that he didn't like him back, that he didn't want him in his life.

Hanbin sighed, his hardened expression softening.

No... I don't have a boyfriend... and it's not because I'm scared...” he started explaining. “It's because of your music career. It's bigger than both of us. You are going to be great, believe me, I know these things. You'll be one of the iconic ones. I don't want to hurt your chances.” he shook his head. “I...” he continued but Bobby interrupted him.

I don't care about any of that...”.

But I do...” Hanbin said stubbornly.

I can do both.” he assured him, cockily.

Yeah right. Nowadays image is everything. You'd be killing your career before it even started. Dating is scandalous enough for famous people in this country, dating a guy, forget it. Nobody will listen to your songs on principle alone.” Hanbin said pointedly.

I don't care about my image... if I can't do music my way, I'd rather not do it at all... or I'll just be less famous... less fans, but truer ones.” he smiled softly, maybe a little aegyo would help tear down the wall Hanbin had put up.

Aigoo, you are so innocent... you have no idea what you're even talking about.” Hanbin hung his eyebrows low. “The world is cruel, it can turn on you in a matter of seconds.” he said like he was speaking from experience. Bobby didn't remember hearing about any scandals he had been in though.

But do you have feelings for me?” he asked bluntly. After all, that was the most important question.

That's irrelevant.” Hanbin averted his eyes, pretending to check his phone.

But...” he tried.

I said we can't, and that's that.” Hanbin put his foot down. He didn't sound like he would be changing his mind any time soon. He stood up, signaling that the conversation was over. Without so much as a goodbye, he headed to the front door.

Two seconds after Hanbin disappeared out the door, Bobby jumped up and ran after him. He caught up with him and dragged him into a side alley, pushing him up against the wall. Hanbin looked really surprised. Bobby used that to his advantage, planting a passionate kiss on him before he had the chance to object. The moment their lips met, Bobby melted. He had been feeling really frustrated and angry at him, but all that was washed away, only his hopeless love remaining. He wanted him. He wanted him so bad. He couldn't accept them not being together, when it felt so right.

Dude! What...” Hanbin broke the kiss just as it was getting interesting.

I owed you one.” he gave him a wink.

...and it's not over.” he added as he walked away.