Week 12

Can't Judge a Song by its First Note

 

They had nearly finished all the recordings. They had had their ups and downs, but all in all it was turning out way better than Bobby had ever dared hope. Never in a million years did he think he could sing, not at a birthday party, let alone professionally. Hanbin was eerily psychic when it came to music. Sometimes he just knew the answer, before the problem even arose. He could foresee how something sounded before listening to it. And he could make random chaotic thoughts make sense by gluing them together with his unique perspective. It was as if he was some all-knowing, all-seeing music god.

They would have finished already, if Hanbin hadn't stubbornly insisted that he get 8 hours of sleep every night, religiously, without fail. He had tried to convince him that he wasn't made of glass, but it was like talking to a wall. Even so, he couldn't deny that it was a tiny bit nice that he cared so much. Bobby was trying really hard to keep his feelings in check, but he just kept on falling harder and harder. He kept trying to point out some of his all too various, extremely annoying flaws to his brain, but each time Hanbin did something amazing that made him look petty for keeping a con-list. There was no such thing as the perfect person, but Hanbin came dangerously close. He might not be perfect, but he was perfect for him.

It was getting to a point where it was becoming hard to hide it. Every time their eyes met, Bobby went completely red in the face and babbled some incoherent nonsense. It wasn't his fault. Those beautiful, mesmerizing eyes haunted him even in his sleep. Lately he had been having some not so dry dreams. It was one of the very few times he was glad his mom was in the States and couldn't do his laundry. He had been getting an evil eye from the maid though. Poor ajumma. It wasn't his fault. It was all Hanbin. The atmosphere between them was so charged that sometimes he was afraid of actually bursting into flames. Not breathing became a habit, and he was adjusting to having the heartbeat of a tiny mouse, a thousand beats per minute.

That all he could get used to, but what tore him apart was not being able to tell Hanbin how he felt. He was used to being up front about basically everything. He found secrets tiresome and lies were a waste of time and energy. It was much simpler just to tell it like it was. But for some reason the words just wouldn't take that final leap from the tip of his tongue. Every time he looked away, pretending it was nothing, it ate away at his insides. Soon there would be nothing left in there. An emptiness that would swallow him whole. All because he was too much of a coward to say those four little words, 'Hanbin, I like you'.

 

Ugh, mooom, I thought we were past all that. You know I don't feel that way about her.” Bobby complained, trusting the internet to convey just how little he wanted to do this across half the world, via video chat.

But you said you were well suited to be friends. So be friends. Sometimes friendships grow into the most amazing relationships of all.” his mom gave him an encouraging wink. “She's expecting your call, do it for me, okay? Her mother is hellbent on having you as a son in law. She's been pestering me nearly every day for a month now.”.

Why me though? It's not like I have the specs to be some super catch.” Bobby scrunched his nose.

You're telling me!” his mom raised her eyebrow in joke disapproval.

Moooooom!!” he complained. She giggled heartily.

Just go, okay. Just think of it as a reunion with a good friend.” she smiled and said her goodbyes.

 

Yo! Ready to finish this!” Bobby burst through the studio door with confidence. There was something in wearing a fancy suit, it made you feel like you could do anything, sky was the limit. He didn't much care for suits though, he just wasn't that fancy type of a personality, he liked laid back things. But, when in Rome...

Hanbin turned around and was so taken aback, it looked like his jaw would soon start mopping the floor. “Eh... uh...” he coughed. “Uhm... so eh... ehm...” he kept stammering.

So you're saying that I'm usually so shabby, that seeing me in a simple suit renders you speechless?” Bobby snorted.

Not my words, but hey if the suit fits...” Hanbin found his snidey self back. “You're late. You've got to work extra hard to make it up.” Serious work-Hanbin had shown up. There was no point in arguing.

 

Oh, sorry, I uh... forgot to push record?” Hanbin shook his head, not believing how clumsy he was being. He was making mistakes only rookies made. Something was up. Bobby had no idea what, but something had him rattled.

Should we just take five?” Hanbin sighed. He was clearly distraught by his idiotic mistake.

Bobby exited the recording booth and joined him at the mixing table.

So uhm... what gives? You have a date or something?” Hanbin asked without looking at him, fiddling with some buttons that had nothing to do with work.

I'm going to a marriage meeting.” Bobby told him honestly.

What?!” Hanbin snapped the button right off the table. “Uh... I've been meaning to get that fixed... he he... it's been loose for a while... he he..” he explained, putting the button aside. “You're kidding though, right?” he stared at him intently, examining his face closely.

Hah no... yes... no... well... kind of depends on how you look at it.” Bobby told him in earnest.

How do you mean?” Hanbin furrowed his brows.

I'm meeting the daughter of one of my mom's childhood best friends, so I've known her all my life... they always just assumed we'd get married.” he shrugged.

And... and is... is that what you want?” Hanbin peered his eyes, as if he was trying to will them into becoming X-ray lazers. Why was he so obsessed with this? It was not like he normally took much interest in his life outside of music.

Dunno.. kind of early to be deciding on marriage stuff... besides... I'm married to music.” Bobby grinned.

Mmh... well, let's see if you'll be able to make the appointment at all... we have a lot of work to do, we need to finish this tonight, you know that right? When it's all done and finished then you'll have plenty of time to play around! You'll never cut it as a pro musician if you don't put music first.” Hanbin said coldly. So that was what was bothering him. That he was not focused enough on work, that he was going to waste precious work time on stupid stuff like living his life.

 

However, Hanbin continued being distracted and uncomfortable all through their session. Bobby started suspecting work ethic wasn't the only thing at play here.

With the added confidence from the suit, he decided to stop complicating things and just confront him.

So... are you just never going to say anything?” Bobby blurted out. He said it. He actually said it. He couldn't believe it. He was trying very, very hard not to regret it. Maintaining a mediocre poker face, he stared right into his eyes, standing firm. Or as firm as he could, whilst not breathing, with cold pearls of sweat threatening to expose his cover.

Hanbin looked at him back. His eyes were softer than usual, but also more determined. He examined every little detail of his face before saying anything. The silence was suffocating. Bobby was bent on making Hanbin come to him, he had to cross the bridge. He was not going to expose himself in case it was all a figment of his imagination.

Hanbin exhaled.

Bobby figured his lung capacity had to be that of an elephant, it seemed to go on forever.

I didn't realize you remembered. I thought... you were acting like nothing... “ Hanbin sighed awkwardly.

I want to tell you not to go.” Hanbin bit his lower lip, he looked miserable. Stunningly handsome, but miserably so.

Then why don't you?” Bobby simply asked. He couldn't understand why he always had to complicate things.

I can't.” Hanbin looked away, fiddling with the button he broke earlier.

Why?” Bobby was done with these vague nonsense excuses.

I'm your teacher. I can't like you.” he said firmly.

Oh come on, who's bothered by that nowadays. I'm older than you!” Bobby exclaimed, frustrated. Then he continued in a softer tone “..you really can't?...even if I'm your hyung? ...your hyung that likes you back... a lot.”.

Hanbin put up an expression he had never seen before. Something akin to confused, tormented surprise. But then Hanbin suddenly lunged forward, grabbing the back of his neck firmly and pressing their lips together in the most out of the blue, charming off your socks, delicious kiss of all time. Bobby was so taken aback that it took him awhile to realize what was happening, his entire body paralyzed with shock. But instinctively, he started kissing him back. Softly, their warm lips entwined, as if they had never been apart. Nothing had ever felt so right. Bobby had never been so sure about anything in his entire life. His brain just shut off and he let his body do the talking. He put his arms around Hanbin, drawing him into a tight embrace.

We can´t... we can´t!” Hanbin pulled himself loose.

We just... can´t.”.