Week 5

Can't Judge a Song by its First Note

 

While his heart enjoyed the new trampoline that had been installed in his chest, Bobby keyed in the numbers. This was the fifth time he did so, but he never got further than the first four numbers before instinctively hanging up. Ah, if he didn't call he would get an incomplete and fail the semester. He had to call. It was the only way.

Holding his breath, he entered a staring contest with his phone. The moment the oxygen was up, he took a deep breath and closed his eyes. With one eye he peeked at his phone, keying the numbers in as fast as he could while clenching his teeth so hard that it hurt. His fingers were so quick they had already hit the call-button before he could instruct them to stop. The ringtone reverberated through his gut as he prayed no one would pick up.

 

"Yes?" a woman's voice answered.

"Ah.. eh.." Bobby hadn't expected a woman, who on Earth was he calling?

"Bobby? I've been expecting your call." she said. What? In what weird 'the Matrix' parallel universe had he woken up? How did she know it was him?

"Oh, eh, yes. Bobby Kim, ma'am. I'm calling in regards to.." he started with the utmost formality but she cut him off.

"Yes, yes. You have an appointment tonight at 8 o'clock, I'll text you the address. Make sure not to be late. Good day." and with that she hung up the phone.

 

Half an hour later and Bobby was still staring at his phone. He had received a message with an address only a couple of minutes after the phone call. He had no idea what awaited him at that address, let alone who. He thought he had been calling professor Kim to make an appointment to see him at his office. He couldn't have been more wrong. The address was nowhere near his school, it was on the other side of Seoul. If he was going to make it on time he had to get a move on, he told himself, but just kept on staring at his phone.

 

"." Bobby swore out loud, mentally kicking himself for being so late. It was five minutes to eight and the meeting place was at least fifteen minutes from the metro station. There was only one thing to do. Run.

 

As he ran for his life, his lungs screaming for oxygen, he thought about what kind of situation he was running into. Was he meeting the phone woman? For what, a date? Was she some old rich woman with a taste for young boys, professor Kim pimping him out? Nah, he wasn't pretty enough. Was professor Kim involved with the mafia, sending them him as a sacrificial lamb, making him sign a contract, selling them his body? Or did he just hate him, luring him to a secluded area where he could quietly kill him and be rid of him for good?

 

He dried the sweat that was pouring down his face with the back of his hand. He tried to get his lungs under control, taking two quick breaths before knocking on the door.

 

"You're two minutes late!" a growl escaped out the door the moment it opened. He could see the back of professor Kim's head as the door swung open, he was already heading back inside. Wow, he didn't even bother to greet him. Bobby's stomach churned. So it was the last option he had thought of, he was going to kill him. He started saying his goodbyes to his mom and his family in his head. He had had a nice life, if he didn't count these past few weeks.

"Did you stop for a swim on the way, is that why you're so late?" he snorted as he threw him a towel, hard. Bobby didn't know what to say, quickly drying his head with the towel.

"Ehm, professor Kim.." he started in what he thought was a loud and clear voice, but it was barely audible.

"Oh please, call me Hanbin, it's not like we're at school." he smiled brightly. Too brightly. It was like staring into the sun, painful and dangerous yet mesmerizingly beautiful.

"Wh..what?" Bobby coughed, not sure he had heard him right. That smile had fried something in his brain, it wasn't working properly.

"Hanbin. My name. What, did the water get all the way into your brain?" he laughed, shaking his head lightly. But he wasn't mad. He actually looked like he was in a good mood. Bobby didn't think that was even possible. This truly was some alternative universe into which he had wandered.

 

"Okay, so I started already, only like roughly putting together the background music. Not sure if it's exactly like you pictured it, but we can refine it together." Hanbin told him as he walked towards the computer. Bobby suddenly noticed that they were in a quaint little studio. He had been so rattled he hadn't even noticed his surroundings.

"Come on, tell me what you think." he waved a pair of headphones, indicating that he should join him at the mixing table.

Timidly, Bobby put on the headphones, stunned that Hanbin actually wanted his input on a song. And not just any song, but a song Hanbin had written. He was like a real prodigy in the industry. A musical genius. Bobby felt so honored that it was hard to hold on to all the ill feelings he was harboring towards him. He listened to the silence, his heart keeping the beat.

The first few notes sent Bobby into shock. His heart stopped beating, he stopped breathing and his ears grew two sizes so he could hear better and verify that it was not just his imagination. It wasn't. It was his song. The song he himself had written. There was no doubt about it. It was definitely his song!! Only it sounded about ten times better than on his demo.

 

"What do you think?" Hanbin grinned at him after the song had come to a close.

"I.. eh.. I..." Bobby stammered, his mind a whirlpool of chaotic incoherent thoughts.

"Why..." he finally blurted out.

"Why...?" Hanbin repeated perplexed.

"Yeah.. why did you do all this if you didn't even think the song was good enough..?" he asked, perhaps a bit too directly. But he had to know. He couldn't stand being on this emotional rollercoaster of doom for a moment longer.

"What do you mean? I think with some more work this song could be amazing! You really have something here." Hanbin told him surprised, like this was all common knowledge.

"But.. but.. you gave me an incomplete." he complained, not understanding anything anymore.

"Well, it is incomplete, is it not?" Hanbin asked firmly, finally resembling the persona of professor Kim, confirming that this was really him and not some weird doppelganger.

"Eh.. yeah, I mean.. I guess so.. like.. technically.." he answered slightly annoyed. It was so not the point. Obviously none of the songs had been complete and it was a ridiculous requirement that he was only applying to him and none of the other students. How unfair was that! It was plain and simple bullying and it had to stop. A fire of justice had ignited in his chest.

"So there you have it!" Hanbin chuckled and gave him an uncomfortably charming wink. And with that he ended the discussion, turning deadly serious as he suggested they start working on the song.

 

That was it? That was all he had to say for himself? Bobby was not happy. And he hadn't even mentioned whether he was going to give him a better grade or not. Still, he didn't dare say anything. Hanbin had switched to a third personality, the focused genius. Bobby didn't think bothering him with what he without a doubt thought were trivial school matters would go over so well. But it was his life he had in his hands, how could he not see that? He wondered just how many personalities were hiding in that perfectly shaped head of his, and whether any of them were sane enough to be reasoned with.