Week 11

Can't Judge a Song by its First Note

 

 

Bobby opened the door to the classroom, popping his head in to make sure it was empty before entering. There was not a soul inside, even the lights were off. He sneaked in and closed the door before turning on the lights, realizing it hadn't been the best of plans when he was feeling up the wall in the pitch dark in search for the light switch. He found it eventually though, feeling a bit silly.

He had wasted precious time. The students would be arriving any moment now. He scurried over to the teacher's table, planting the milkshake he was holding square in the middle. His hand was freezing, that was how cold it was. He adjusted the sticker on top of the lid, 'from hyung' it said. Bobby giggled in anticipation, taking one last look before hurrying over to his seat.

He sat down in the nick of time. The moment his bottom touched the seat, a couple of his classmates burst inside, chatting loudly. More followed. Every time the door opened, Bobby's heart jumped all the way up to his throat, pounding uncomfortably. He couldn't wait to see Hanbin's expression. He had asked him to buy him ice cream, he was just doing his duty as hyung, well, close enough. He was doing this partly as a joke, but in part it was his way of saying thank you for all he had done for him. That, and he missed him. Hanbin had forbidden him from stepping foot into the studio all week, their interaction limited to a few text messages about his condition. It was a gross overreaction, Bobby felt healthier than ever. He had tried telling Hanbin that, but he wouldn't listen. It had been the longest week since the beginning of time.

 

After a few too many false alarms and the heart attacks that followed, he had stopped monitoring the door. He had let his heart cry 'wolf' one too many times. But of course, that was when the real wolf showed up.

Okay class, we have a lot to cover today so... ehm..” Hanbin started in a strong voice but ended in a cough when he saw the sticker on his drink. It wasn't that uncommon for students to buy drinks for their teachers, it was almost expected of them, but he was pretty sure nobody had ever bought their teacher a milk shake and left a note. And it wasn't just any old note either.

Yes.. eh, where was I... yes... today we're going to be diving into probably the hardest part of songwriting.” he said and took a sip. His expression was priceless, one of utter surprise and instant brain freeze. Bobby bit his lip to stop himself from laughing out loud. He was most definitely going to have to pay for making Hanbin lose his cool in front of the class, but it was well worth it. He almost looked forward to the punishment. He had gone mental, there was no other explanation for it. He didn't care what Hanbin did to him, as long as he got to be in his presence.

Bobby's heart jumped as his stomach turned inside out. For a split second, Hanbin had stared straight at him, straight into his eyes with fiery intensity. He was spreading fire all over the class, staring down most of the students, but Bobby was pretty sure the death stare was meant for him and the rest was just a cover up. He was going to miss this class from hell. If he would have told himself that a few weeks ago, he would never have believed it. He had given himself permission to enjoy the time that was left to his heart's content, and then he was going to do a mental clean up, forget this all happened and move on. Or maybe not forget. Just move those precious memories to the attic and be thankful for having gotten to experience them.

 

How's your voice?” Hanbin asked randomly as they entered the studio. It was the first time since the hospitalization that he was allowed in here. He had tried to convince Hanbin that he wasn't made of glass, that they could still work, but Hanbin hadn't wanted to take any chances.

Uhm, just fine I think. I think I'm all better now. Right as rain. Healthy as a horse. Strong as an ox...”

Alright, alright. Another 50 analogies and I might get the hint!” Hanbin interrupted him, a faint smile showing up on his face. “Okay, so let's start recording the vocals today then.” he added assertively.

But... don't we need a singer for that...?” Bobby looked around the deserted studio, confused.

We've got one right here.” Hanbin beamed as he gave him a quick wink, before swiftly turning away and getting down to business. Bobby was inclined to look around for this singer he was talking about, knowing full well there was nobody there. He was just so surprised Hanbin believed in him enough to get such a preposterous idea. He was a rapper, not a singer. He hadn't even heard him sing, except for a hum or two that had accidentally escaped while working. It was really sweet of Hanbin to have this much faith in him, but faith alone was not enough. Even though he wanted nothing more than to make him proud, this time he was forced to let him down.

Look, I... I'm not a singer...” Bobby sighed, not daring to look him in the eyes. Hanbin sprang out of his seat with such vigor that the chair made it half way across the room.

Says who?” he said as he took a step forwards, invading Bobby's personal space.

Eh... me?” Bobby answered hesitantly as he took a couple of steps backwards. Hanbin matched him step by step until the wall blocked any further movement. He was trapped. He could only watch as Hanbin came closer and closer, coming to a halt right before he would clash into him, not more than an inch separating them. Bobby took a deep breath to steady himself but knew it was a mistake the moment Hanbin's intoxicating scent filled his senses. He smelled so good. Why did he have to smell so damn good? Hanbin moved his face slowly closer, their lips so close yet so far away. Bobby felt the urge to bridge the gap between them. He wanted to lunge forward and just go for it. Still he held back, with everything he had.

Your voice is one of the most charming voices I've heard.” Hanbin murmured. It made it all the more difficult for Bobby to hold back. He could smell his warm, sweet breath, wishing he was doing something more than just smelling it.

It's got this scratchy quality to it, I think it's going to be cool.” Hanbin looked him right in the eyes. The bottom of Bobby's stomach fell out and created an abyss of epic proportions inside of him. He felt like he was being seen for the first time. He felt dizzy. Almost dizzy enough to do something reckless. But before he could make the biggest mistake of his life, Hanbin smiled his million dollar smile and patted him on the shoulder, butterflies pulsating out of the spot where his hand had touched him.

Come on, let's get to work.” Hanbin chuckled and went back to the mixing table.

There was no denying it. He had fallen for him. Flat on his face. Whether it was the music that had infected him or if it was something else, he didn't know, but either way he had caught the love bug and it didn't look like it was going away any time soon. He looked longingly at the back of Hanbin's beautifully shaped head. He had this dull ache in his chest caused by the knowledge that even though he wanted to, he couldn't do anything. He couldn't jeopardize their partnership by indulging his juvenile crush. Besides, he would be beyond mortified if Hanbin knew how he felt. He would probably look at him like he was insane. No, he was just going to nurture this one-sided crush he had and try to be good to Hanbin, try to do his best and make him proud. That was enough to make him happy.

Okay. I'll try.” Bobby said in the most decisive tone he could muster up. Hanbin turned back and beamed at him, excitement filling his eyes. That look, that was what it was all about. It filled him with a strange sense of warmth, making him want to hug the world.