Week 15

Can't Judge a Song by its First Note

 

Bobby pried his eyes open. He had tried to ignore it, but his phone was vibrating in stereo, it felt like an earthquake. Or maybe it was just the echo of his broken heart. The light from the screen blinded him for a brief second, before he was flooded with messages of congratulations. It took him a moment to realize what he was being congratulated for. It wasn't his birthday. He hadn't graduated yet. His love life was down in the dumps. But then it dawned on him. The song had been released the night before. His heart did a double take. No way, he thought, nearly dropping his phone as he fumbled with loading the melon app.

It felt like hours, but it probably only took a second or two before it opened and showed him the current top chart. He started from the bottom, searching for his name, but coming up empty. Maybe they were just congratulating him for having released the song and he was the idiot to think it could actually have charted overnight. He silently laughed at his optimism, browsing through the upper part of the list to see if there were any new songs he hadn't listened to, making mental notes to check them out. He prided himself in keeping current with the music scene, but he also just had an endless interest in music and loved discovering precious diamonds that made him thankful for having ears.

He wrinkled his nose in surprise when he found the song that had been dominating the charts for the last two weeks in second place. Curious, he tried to recall whether any artists with enough power to displace the top song overnight had made a comeback yesterday, but he couldn't remember any. He scrolled to the top, blinking twice to make sure he wasn't imagining things. There it was. His name. Beside a big fat one. He was number one? Wait... what? He only released it yesterday, and he was a total nobody? But how?

He just sat there with his phone glued to his nose, blinking.

 

When he finally came to, he frantically searched through his messages, but none of them were from Hanbin. He couldn't even spare one little word? Congratulations. It was the only congratulations he wanted, he would trade all the others for that one little word. It wasn't like he was asking for a love confession, he just wanted a tiny sign that he cared. That he hadn't left for good. None of this meant anything if Hanbin wasn't there to celebrate with him.

 

The next days went by in a crazy haze. It all happened at lightning speed. He kept on dominating the charts, and the phone calls started pouring in, everybody wanted him. All the music shows asked him to perform, he got invitations for interviews left and right, the works. He even got his own fanclub, with a fancafe and everything. It was strange how drastically life could change in an instant.

 

And then the craziest thing happened. He won first place at Music Bank. He couldn't believe it. He was happy just to get to share the stage with some of the country's brightest artists, he never dreamed of winning. After the announcement complete chaos ensued. The audience erupted with applause. Sparkling confetti started raining down, clouding his vision. And suddenly a microphone was shoved into his hand. He panicked. He had nothing prepared. He was just going to have to wing it. He reminded himself just to keep it short and simple, give thanks to the people who got him here and start singing the encore.

 

Woohoo!” he yelled into the microphone, waving the trophy around, causing a wave of excited cheers from the audience. It was a feeling unlike any other. Like the biggest hug he had ever gotten. It gave him strength. It made him brave. It made him realize what he wanted.

Firstly, I want to thank my producer... the amazingly talented Hanbin, without him this would've never been possible. So...” he paused for a microsecond, taking a deep breath.

...I realized that I never want to be without him... ever again.”.

So... I want to ask him to be my boyfriend.” his voice trembled a little, he could feel a bundle of tears get stuck in his throat, slowly making its way up.

There was a collective gasp in the audience. And then everyone just stared at him with their mouths open, You could hear a pin drop.

Oh, and of course, I want to thank my amazing new fans, we got this far after only a short while together, imagine what we can do in the future! I look forward to it!” he took a bow and waved to the petrified audience, who looked more like a very large collection of statues rather than a group of human beings. He tried to start singing, but no sound came out, so he just waved and the moment the broadcast ended he got the hell out of there. Hanbin was going to kill him.

 

 

 

When he got home, Hanbin was standing outside his front door, looking stunningly beautiful, but severely pissed. Shiiiiit. Craaaaap. He was so dead. He definitely only had seconds to live. Well, it had been a nice life. He had already done things most people only dreamed of. He had found his one true love, he had been recognized for chasing his dreams and doing what he loved, and he was probably going to die by the hands and in the arms of his one true love and soulmate. It was okay, he was ready to go. If he could be with Hanbin, he didn't care what happened to him.

Ehh... “ he scratched his head awkwardly as he approached the angry monster that was Hanbin. His eyes were almost glowing red.

But then the most unexpected thing happened. Even more unexpected than becoming famous overnight and winning a trophy at a music show. Hanbin threw himself into his arms, hugging him tighter than anyone had ever been hugged before. It almost hurt, he squeezed him so hard.

Babo...” Hanbin whispered into his ear, not letting him go for anything.

Stupid, stupid babo...” he made a fist and hit him on the back, but there was no bite to it.

After a long, extremely tight, insanely emotionally charged hug, Hanbin let go of him, leaning back to get a better look at him. There were tears in his eyes. Hanbin's tears brought tears to Bobby's eyes. After a meaningful exchange of looks, Hanbin put his hands gently around his neck, drawing him into a long, soft, loving kiss.

 

Are you crying?” Bobby chuckled when they came up for air.

No!!” Hanbin objected, quickly drying his cheeks. They both cracked up, releasing a tiny bit of the tension between them. Hanbin bit his lower lip, his eyes overflowing with pride and love as he looked him in the eyes. Bobby blushed profusely. He was afraid he was going to explode from happiness. He had gotten everything he had ever wanted, and more. So much more.

What am I going to do with you?” Hanbin sighed and shook his head.

Kiss me!” Bobby chuckled.

Hanbin didn't have to be told twice. He pulled him back into his arms and smothered him in little kisses, kissing everything from his nose, to his forehead, to his cheeks and chin. Bobby giggled so hard that his stomach turned inside out, twisting into a bow of butterflies. But then Hanbin finally found his lips, sinking his lips into them, and they both got lost in each other.