Week 7

Can't Judge a Song by its First Note

 

'You haven't forgotten our deal, right? See you in the car park after class, come alone.'

 

Bobby read the message for the hundredth time, used to the nausea by now that had been terrorizing his gut ever since he unexplainably woke up in Hanbin's bed wearing nothing but his boxers last week. No matter how hard he had tried, he couldn't remember anything from that night. And he was terrified of finding out. What deal? Had Hanbin made him sign some crazy contract, making him his personal -slave? What had really happened that night? He had tried every crazy method the internet suggested to get his memory back, but nothing had worked. It couldn't be that they had... no, why would he do that with someone he hated? No, not a chance. He wasn't even a little bit pretty, he was so far from being in Hanbin's league, that it was likelier he brought him home to clean the toilet than something having happened. Also, if they had, was Hanbin really that heartless not to contact him for a week afterwards. No, not even Hanbin could be that callous, could he? Bobby wasn't sure.

 

Bobby was on the verge of throwing up during the entire class. Except for a furtive look at the start of the class, Hanbin had completely ignored him. At least that was better than him torturing him.

 

The class was over way too fast. It was becoming more and more difficult to breathe.

"Bobby? Are you okay? You look like you saw a ghost! Don't faint, okay! Let's go to the cafeteria and get some refreshments, huh?" Jinhwan suggested as he snuck his head under Bobby's arm. Bobby realized Jinhwan was the only reason he was still standing. He did feel faint. Come to think of it, he hadn't eaten anything all day. He tried to think what he had eaten the day before, but came up empty. Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to have a snack with Jinhwan. Only, Hanbin was probably waiting for him at the car park already. His gut churned. Then again, if he was moments away from entering -slavery for the rest of his life, he might as well enjoy the little time he had left. So he nodded and let Jinhwan steer him out of the classroom.

 

'Waiting. We have a deal remember. A written one. With your signature on it. Resistance is futile ^^'

 

Bobby swallowed the rock that had formed in his throat, feeling it rip the inside of his esophagus as it went down. And what was up with the cutsie emoticon? Was he going to ruin his life while smiling oh so dashingly? Probably.

"Ah, thanks buddy, I feel much better now. But I've got to get going. I've got an appointment, you see." he said as he stood up. Well, that was one way of putting it. It was not like he could tell Jinhwan exactly where he was going.

 

The car park was dimly lit, making it seem like the devil's dungeon. In a way it was.

How was he supposed to know which car was Hanbin's? Right then a car stopped in front of him. The front door opened.

'Get in." a voice from inside the car ordered. It was Hanbin's voice.

Bobby forced his body to obey the order, getting in against his will.

"What took you so long?" Hanbin asked slightly irritated. Bobby just shrugged, not feeling like being too cooperative.

"You weren't trying to sell your song to anyone else were you? I gave you a good deal!" Hanbin strongly insisted.

"So that was the deal? For you to produce my song? Ah, that makes more sense." Bobby sighed out of relief.

"Wait. What did you think the deal was?" Hanbin turned to him with a surprised grin stuck to his lips. He handed him a laminated piece of paper with his signature on it.

"You know, I doubt this is legal. I wasn't in my right mind when I signed this, I don't even remember it." Bobby couldn't believe he was talking back to him. He could hear his own voice leave his mouth, but it was as if someone else was talking through him.

"So.. you gona take me to court?" Hanbin's smirk turned slightly crooked.

"Nah, you might not be a good person, but you really are a good producer." Bobby flashed an awkward grin. He still hadn't fully processed this new piece of information. His song was going to be produced by no other than the great Hanbin. His song was going to get released. It was actually happening. He was going to be an artist for real. His dream. His dream was actually coming true.

"You... think I'm a bad person?" Hanbin sounded genuinely surprised, shocked even.

"Ehm.." Bobby didn't know what to say. Hanbin couldn't really think that he had been nothing but nice to him until now? There was no way he was that delusional.

"I'm sorry... for last week..." Hanbin whispered after a heavy silence, waging an intense staring contest with the steering wheel.

"Jinhwan came and talked to me, suggesting I had maybe gone a bit far last week..." he added with his head hung.

His apology shot through Bobby's heart like an arrow, aching something fierce. Bobby had sworn to hate him until hell froze over, but apparently it had started to snow in the underworld.

"Why.. why... uhm.. why do you pick on me the most?" Bobby cleared his throat awkwardly, his voice resembling a scared little mouse.

"Life's unfair." Hanbin shrugged coolly. Before Bobby's face had the chance to fall off, Hanbin chuckled.

"I believe in grading according to potential. And tough love is sometimes the best way to reach that potential. Now.." Hanbin shifted uncomfortably in his seat before continuing, "..you have the greatest potential I've seen in a very long time... but you hold back.. so, rightly, I figured a hard push would do you the world of good. And it did. Without it, this amazing song would have been stuck in the depths of your brain forever, never seeing the light of day. What a shame that would have been, huh?".

There was silence for a bit, the words slowly sinking in, melting the last of the grudge Bobby had felt towards him. Still, he wasn't ready to let him off the hook just yet.

"So you expect me to thank you for treating me like crap?" Bobby theatrically threw at him, acting all outraged.

"Well.. yes." Hanbin smirked his smuggest smirk yet. Their overacting was so over the top that neither of them could stay in character for more than a few seconds, both bursting into laughter. It was just what they needed to lighten the atmosphere.

 

"So, off to the studio!" Hanbin enthusiastically shouted and off they drove.