Week 6

Can't Judge a Song by its First Note

 

It had been a week now, since that strange day. It didn't even seem real anymore. Maybe it had all been some strange dream. They had worked on his song for hours on end. It turned out Hanbin was renowned for a reason, he had all kinds of brilliant ideas, developing the song in ways he had never thought possible. And he even listened to Bobby's input, not always agreeing with it of course and if he didn't agree, he shot the idea down with a drone strike, making sure it was dead enough never to see the light of day again, but at least he listened.

It had been a weird day, but it had proven what Bobby had always known in his heart. Music really was the love of his life. His first time in a proper studio and he had felt everything that his mom had described. The raised heartbeat, the strange knot in his stomach that seemed to harbor a hive of butterflies, regularly releasing an attack team, tickling his insides to death. He was in love with music, and he had it bad. He had been jonesing all week to go back to that tiny little room, to caress those tiny magical buttons, manipulating the sound waves to do his bidding, feeling like a god. Or at least like the assistant of a god. Hanbin was amazing. Just amazing. He had forgiven him in a split second for all his awful bullying in class, not able to hate anyone that could make his song sound exactly like it did in his heart. Bobby still had a lot to learn in order to be able to express himself fully in the language of musical notes. But he planned on learning. From the best.

"What are you grinning about?" Jinhwan chuckled as he sat down next to him. "Normally you have the expression of a death row prisoner being taken to the chair while you are waiting for this class to start." he kept laughing.

"Oh, heh, nothing. Just thinking." he felt his cheeks redden. He didn't know why, but he didn't want Jinhwan or anyone else for that matter to know that he was on a first name basis with the professor now. It was their secret, and he wanted to keep it that way.

When the door opened, his heart leapt in anticipation, but it was just another student entering. Bobby laughed to himself. Apparently, he was starting to associate the professor with the process of making music, transferring the feeling he felt for music over to him, getting all giddy and nervous at the thought of seeing him again. Not just that, he also wasn't quite sure how to react now. He had gotten so used to hating him, he felt kind of not being able to hide behind his hatred.

 

"Bobby Kim!".

 

He felt a sharp pinch on his left arm. He turned to face his attacker. Jinhwan's eyes had doubled in size and he was fervently pointing at the teacher's table.

"Absent." a familiar voice sneered.

"No wait! I'm here!" Bobby objected, waving his hand like his life depended on it. He had gotten lost in his thoughts and not noticed Hanbin entering the classroom. Even so, he couldn't believe he was going to mark him absent, he could see he was right there! His old feelings of rage and hatred started knocking on his heart, eager to return after having been unjustly exiled.

"Hmm. You're lucky my pen hadn't touched the paper, for if it had I would've just let it stand. Mental absence is just as bad as a physical one!" he scolded him without looking him in the eyes, making him feel like trash that wasn't even worth his attention. He was furious. Like an idiot, he had thought the bullying was over. Okay, that day Hanbin hadn't exactly been the sweetest guy in the world, but he had also not been his monster self, actually treating him like a human being and more importantly, acknowledging his talent. Apparently that had just been a one time thing. Now it was back to reality. Still he couldn't shake the feeling of betrayal, even though it didn't make much sense. Naively, he had actually thought they had bonded over the music, but it had just been him alone, letting his love for music color everything he was feeling and experiencing.

 

The class was the most awful one yet. Somehow Hanbin had managed to bully him to pieces while simultaneously ignoring him. Now he knew how mold felt, just sitting there, unable to move, absorbing people's hate while everyone pretended it wasn't there.

Hanbin had come up with the most ridiculously difficult questions, questions only pros would have the slightest chance of knowing, and made fun of him for not having a clue about the answers. At first the students played along, but in the end nobody was laughing, though a few let out a courteous ha-ha for show. The overall atmosphere was on his side, thankfully, which made him feel a tiny bit better.

"Stay strong, hwaitin'!" Jinhwan whispered after a particularly brutal interrogation. "Next time, pay attention from the very start." he advised, clearly thinking he was being punished for his absentmindedness earlier. The punishment definitely did not fit the crime. Bobby was sure it wasn't just that. If Jinhwan had done the exact same thing, there wasn't a chance in hell that he would've been put through this kind of torture. There had to be a reason he was being singled out and he believed he knew why. Hanbin hated him. There was just something about him that got on his nerves and he didn't hesitate taking it out on him. Bobby could understand that his way of being irritated some people, he knew he could be too straightforward and too impatient sometimes, but he just wished Hanbin would be more professional about it.

Maybe he should just quit. There was only so much fighting power a normal human being possessed and he had used his all up. He couldn't do this anymore. He decided to go straight after class to the registration office to drop out. It was better to do it straight away before he could chicken out. There were only so many beatings a pride could take before it became irreparably damaged. This was his breaking point. Right now. He wanted to run out of class crying but he decided to preserve what little was left of his dignity and finish out the class.

This didn't have to be the end. Lots of people went through life without a college degree, granted not many successful people. He could work part time while developing his music. He could play the streets of Hongdae, take part in open mics, tough it out until he was discovered. It wasn't quitting, it was just taking a few steps back. It would be alright, it would only take a little bit longer.

 

"Class dismissed." Hanbin announced and everyone scrambled around, fighting to be the first ones out of this hell hole.

"Bobby." he said in a loud, stern voice. The blood in Bobby's veins froze. Jinhwan looked at him with horror written all over his face.

"A word." he added dryly, indicating that he should stay behind.

No, he was not going to do it. He had decided to quit. This didn't concern him anymore, he was no longer required to take his crap lying down.

"I'm sorry sir, I have an important appointment." he said firmly with clenched teeth, he was not backing down.

"Reschedule it." Hanbin simply said, as if there could be nothing more important than him. The last few remaining students gave him a furtive look before running as fast they could out of the classroom.

Now it was just the two of them. Bobby swallowed. His heart was racing. He wanted to stand up to him, he wanted to boldly walk out with his head held high, not looking back, but there was something stopping him. Probably just his cowardice.

"Come on, pack up your stuff, let's grab some dinner." Hanbin casually said in a totally different voice. It didn't have that son of Satan, lord of the darkness ring to it that it normally had. Bobby felt like he was stuck in the twilight zone, looking around to see if he could find some witnesses to see if he was going crazy, but there was no one there.

"What?" was the only thing that came out.

"Dinner. Food. You do need to eat like the rest of us, right?" Hanbin chuckled, nodding towards the exit, indicating they should go together. Yes, he needed to eat, he was more surprised that Hanbin needed to, he wasn't sure what the spawn of the Devil liked to eat. Unsuspecting young college boys perhaps?

 

There was awkward silence in the car. Bobby cleared his throat to break it, but it was made of steel, holding firm, suppressing every sound that dared enter its space.

 

"Hold on." Hanbin said quickly as he jumped out of the car. Bobby figured he just had to run some errand, waiting impatiently for this day to be over.

He started as the door on his side popped open on its own, like the car had come to life. Except, Hanbin was standing right there, holding it open for him, waiting for him to get out. Bobby just stared at him, not knowing how to react. Was this a trap?

"Someday this age, you slowpoke." Hanbin chuckled, reaching in over him to undo his seatbelt. Bobby held his breath the entire time, his heart going crazy in anticipation of his body's response, fight or flight.

 

"And a bottle of soju, please." Hanbin ordered without asking Bobby his opinion, convincing him that he was indeed the same person as before and not some body snatcher pretending to be professor Kim.

"Lighten up, we're not in class, it's safe to speak, I won't deduct your grade for saying something stupid, you know." Hanbin let out a soft chuckle.

"Right, like there's anything to deduct." Bobby replied sullenly, surprised at his own courage.

"That's the spirit." Hanbin laughed, pouring him a shot of soju.

As their glasses clinked and the bittersweet taste of soju tore through his throat, he wanted to ask Hanbin why he bullied him so severely in class. Afraid of the answer, the words wouldn't come out. Instead he downed a second shot. And a third. After that he lost count.

 

"Ugh." Bobby held his head, trying to stop the ear-splitting drilling that was going on in there. He opened his eyes with difficulty and got a mild heart attack when he realized he wasn't in his room. He sprang up and nearly vomited as the nausea attacked him. Where was he?

He looked around for clues since his memory was useless, he remembered nothing after that third shot of soju. Apparently he had been alert enough to take off his clothes though. He noticed a glass of water by the bed, reaching for it, he saw a note and a painkiller placed carefully on top of it.

 

'Don't worry, there's no rush. I talked to your professor, he won't mark you absent. And I answered your phone, your mom thinks you spent the night at the library, working on an important project.

- Hanbin'