Week 8

Can't Judge a Song by its First Note

 

The week had passed as if in a dream. Every second he wasn't at school he had spent at the studio, sometimes even sleeping there. Though there was never much time to sleep. Hanbin almost expected him to ignore school completely, maintaining the view that practical experience was a much better teacher than some stale professors that never made it big. He might have a point, Bobby thought, since he had learnt more in one week than in an entire lifetime. Hanbin never missed an opportunity to cram in a lesson or two, deliberately allowing him to make his own mistakes so he could learn from them, even though it would have been more efficient not to. Still, Bobby wasn't prepared to throw it all away. Besides, Hanbin was so fickle that who knew what he would do tomorrow, maybe he would be back to hating him, throwing him out on the street with no backup plan. No, Bobby was going to be smart about this. He was going to have his cake and eat it too. But in order to do that, something had to give. So he gave up sleep. He could sleep in his grave.

 

He went straight to school from the studio. Not wanting to raise suspicion at school, Hanbin had gone on ahead, refusing to give him a ride. Even though Bobby had offered to get off way before they reached school. He probably thought hardship would mold him as an artist. Before, he would have thought it was just out of spite, but he was beginning to realize that everything Hanbin did was for a reason. It might be a stupid reason, but there usually was one. And he was definitely hardest on himself. He had never met anyone that took his work so seriously. But those few brief moments a day when Hanbin wasn't working, he was actually borderline pleasant. He had even made him breakfast during the weekend. Sure, it had only been coffee and ramen, but to Bobby it had felt like a 5 star meal, it took him so by surprise.

"Crap." he cursed at himself as he checked his watch, he was going to be late. The knot in his gut pulsated. Why of all classes did Hanbin's class have to be today? He couldn't be late for his class. There was no way Hanbin was going to make an exception for him, even though he was technically late because of him. And either way, Hanbin didn't care about things like grades and graduating, so he would probably think he was doing him a favor if he kicked him out of the class. That way he would have more time to work on the song. , he was definitely going to be kicked out. His heart did a double take as he started running, even though he knew it wouldn't do.much good, he was too late to make it. Should he take a taxi and pray the driver was willing to step on some traffic laws to get him there in time or should he just double back and give up without even trying, since it was pointless anyway?

A loud toot from a car horn shook him out of his panic attack. He instinctively looked in the direction of the noise without really looking, but the familiar feeling that registered in his subconscious made him look again. He had seen that car before. He had rode that car before. It was Hanbin's car!

After a few seconds of swinging his leg back and forth, trying to decide how likely it was that he was honking at him, seriously weighing the embarrassment of going over there when he wasn't really there for him against the embarrassment of ignoring him when he was actually honking at him, he decided that ignoring him was the more dangerous road, steering clear of it, he ran towards the car with utmost haste, since Hanbin wasn't the biggest fan of waiting.

When he peeked through the glass of the passenger side window, Hanbin waved him in. Phew, so it had been meant for him.

"What...?" Bobby began as soon as he closed the door.

"Seatbelt!" Hanbin cut him off, refusing to budge until Bobby had buckled in.

"But you said we couldn't..." Bobby said confused as he dramatically fastened his belt to demonstrate that he thought Hanbin was being too much of a stickler where the whole belt debacle was concerned.

"Wouldn't want you to be late for my class, we all know what happens then." Hanbin grinned one of his drop-dead gorgeous grins and floored the gas. Ah, so he did care after all, not wanting to kick him out. Knowing that, Bobby got an uncomfortable feeling in his gut. Like his gut knew something more than him.

 

The ride was the most enjoyable yet. Hanbin had gotten some new ideas about how they could handle a bridge in the song, so they enthusiastically discussed it all the way to school. Bobby even managed to build on his idea, giving him helpful, intelligent input that Hanbin was forced to accept. Not only that, he sounded genuinely impressed. It was the best feeling in the world, to have come far enough to receive recognition from Hanbin himself. Hanbin, who was so interested in music, that chatting about it made him damn near giddy. There was no other way to explain it. There was color in his cheeks, fire in his eyes and his voice sang as he spoke. He was actually quite charming when he got like this, sweeping Bobby up in the whirlwind of excitement, making him all giddy too. He suspected that Hanbin, much like himself, was in love with music and had chosen it as his life companion. He hadn't seen one trace of a current or ex-girlfriend at his house, not that he had been snooping. He had gotten out of there as fast he could, but not before his curious eyes had had a chance to look around. He still didn't really know what had happened that night, but he had decided to let it go. It was obvious that nothing had happened, it was ridiculous to even entertain the thought.

 

"Thanks." he squeezed Jinhwan's shoulder out of breath. He had run all the way from the crosswalk where Hanbin had thrown him out, to avoid suspicion. Hanbin hadn't arrived yet. There was no way he could have beaten him here, unless.. unless he was deliberately taking longer to give him a chance to reach the class before him. Without being able to stop himself, he swooned out of thankfulness.

"For what?" Jinhwan's face was one cute question mark.

"I heard you spoke to professor Kim..." he began, but hadn't realized that he was digging his own grave, having no way of explaining how he knew Jinhwan complained to Hanbin. It had been a private interaction, so revealing that he knew, also revealed that he had spoken to Hanbin. .

"Omo! He said something to you? Ah, please tell me he wasn't mad. I wasn't sure whether I should say something or not, but I was just too outraged not to, and then afterwards I realized I might have just made things worse for you." Jinhwan stared at the book in front of him, retracing the doodles he had done last time.

"No, no, it was awesome that you did, he apologized and everything!" Bobby explained enthusiastically to make him feel better, realizing too late that he had said too much, again. He was hopeless at having a secret alliance. Granted, it was his first, but so far he wasn't doing a great job with the secret part.

"Phew! Ah, thank heavens, I'm saved!" Jinhwan grinned, so relieved to be off the hook that he had paid no attention to Bobby's accidental over-sharing.

"He'd better treat you well today or he'll have to answer to me!" Jinhwan punched the air with intent, but froze with his arm still outstretched. Hanbin had entered the classroom moments before, just in time to hear Jinhwan's declaration of war. He stood right in front of their table, having a staring contest with poor Jinhwan, who was shaking from head to toe. Then Hanbin suddenly shifted his gaze to Jinhwan's shoulder, Bobby realizing he was still holding it. Without meaning to, he slowly removed his hand, hiding it under the table. Hanbin walked away without saying anything. Bobby and Jinhwan exchanged looks, shook up but glad they were still alive.

 

Surprisingly, the class passed without incident. Bobby was thankful that Jinhwan's words had actually had an effect and that Hanbin's apology hadn't been just empty words. He had almost had fun today.

 

"You wanna get a drink to celebrate?" Jinhwan giggled as he packed his books. Bobby glanced in the direction of Hanbin, who gave him a strict look. He knew what that look meant. Work.

"Ah I better not. Rain check?" he gave him a sweet smile, trying to mask how guilty he felt. Jinhwan had saved his school life, he owed him.

 

"So... you two...you got something going on?" Hanbin nonchalantly asked from behind the menu, like he was asking which side dishes to order.

"Who? What's going on?" Bobby asked confused, he had no idea what he was talking about. He wondered whether he had zoned out for a minute, missing the beginning of the conversation.

"You and Jinhwan... you... boyfriends?" Hanbin rephrased the question, still hidden behind the menu.

"WHAT? NO! ARE YOU KIDDING?" Bobby yelled in shock. How could he even think that, let alone bring it up? Bobby considered himself a pretty open minded person, but he was genuinely shocked by that question, and even more so by the fact that Hanbin would think that about him. He knew it wasn't a bad thing, even though most people in Korea still saw it that way, which made it even ruder for Hanbin to have brought it up, it was more of a don't ask don't tell situation, but it made him extremely uncomfortable to think that in Hanbin's mind he and Jinhwan were a couple. And Hanbin didn't even look that bothered by it. Maybe he should just count his blessings that Hanbin was so open minded, that he wasn't all bad, but for some reason it irked him.

"You think.. I look like that kind of a person?" Bobby carefully asked, not able to leave it alone.

"What's wrong with that? You guys seemed close, I was curious, so I asked. What's the big deal?" Hanbin shrugged and called the waiter over, quietly ending the conversation.

 

"What's up? You look like you have something on your mind. The food not good?" Hanbin said with his mouth stuffed, clearly enjoying himself.

"No it's not that, it's just... I mean... like... outside of school you're like... kind of alright... but.. why are you such a hard in class?" Bobby grinned sheepishly, not sure how he could put it delicately.

"Wow, a hard .. it's been a long time since I've been called that... and then it had a slightly different meaning." Hanbin chuckled heartily, not appearing to be offended at all. Bobby breathed easier. He had been curious ever since he started to realize that Hanbin was actually a pretty decent guy.

"Mmm because I'm younger than most of my students, I guess. So it can be hard to establish authority unless I'm strict from the very start. And then also, I've always been serious about my work and I expect others to be so as well." Hanbin explained.

"What? Are you that young?" Bobby asked in surprise, even though he did look it. He had noticed it from day one, mistaking him for one of the students, which was what had started this whole nightmare turned ultimate dream realization.

"I'm younger than you..." he smirked.

"Hyung." he added in a honey-covered voice, sending him a creepishly sweet wink.

"Aaaaaa noooo... whatever you do, don't ever do that again!" Bobby freaked out. It was like being in a horror movie, being sweet talked by a murderous psychopath. A skilled psychopath that knew what he was doing. He got chills down his spine, shaking his head to try and get that image out of his head.

"Hyung, I want ice cream, buy me ice cre~~eam." he pleaded overly dramatically, overflowing with aegyo.

"Ah! Stop it!" Bobby firmly ordered him. He was becoming severely uncomfortable. He didn't know how to react to that. And to make matters worse, Hanbin was actually really good at aegyo, making him want to buy him that ice cream against his better judgment.

"Okay, hyung. Whatever you say, hyu~~~ng." Hanbin giggled so hard his entire body was shaking. His smile was captivating. It was as if it had magnetic properties, forcing Bobby's eyes to look at it and only it every time it appeared. It wasn't exactly hard to watch either.

 

Bobby rubbed his eyes. He must have dozed off. He was surprised to find himself lying on the sofa when his last memory was yawning in the chair beside Hanbin, trying to force his eyes not to shut, since Hanbin had set goals for the night that they were far from reaching. He didn't want to let him down, but apparently he had lost the battle with himself.

He shifted his position, trying to bring life back to his poor unfortunate arm, that had had the misfortune of being squished under him all night, but it got caught in the blanket. Blanket? There was no way he had not only made it from the chair to the sofa without remembering it, but also had the good sense to cover himself with a blanket. Not a chance. His heart did a summersault for no apparent reason. He glanced in the direction of Hanbin's chair. There he was, huddled up in his chair, fast asleep. He looked so peaceful. Like a beautiful angel. The way the morning light caressed his cheek gave Bobby a strange feeling. It was as if he was admiring a priceless piece of art. Gorgeous.

 

Slowly professor Kim, work Hanbin and nice Hanbin were becoming one and the same person. Still, Bobby reminded himself not to get too comfortable around him, he had to watch out for the unpredictable monster that might be lurking inside.

 

Bobby took his blanket and carefully wrapped it around the sound asleep Hanbin, making sure it wouldn't fall off, before gathering his stuff and getting ready for school.