Week 1

Can't Judge a Song by its First Note

 

Bobby couldn't believe it, first day of grown up school. No more rules, no more parents, no more suffering through awful high school classes. He was free. College was going to be awesome. He was going to make lots of friends, get himself an active social life and only take interesting and hopefully easy classes. This was his time to shine. The beginning of the rest of his life, and it was going to be incredible.

 

"Hey, I'm Bobby." he grinned at the boy who just sat down next to him, while opening his textbook for the first time. It made that creek that all new books make when they are opened for the very first time, welcoming you to the mysterious world of knowledge that lay behind its pages. Ah, that smell. That new book smell. He felt like he was smarter already.

"Hey, I'm Jinhwan." the boy smiled back.

"I heard this is one of the hardest classes in our department. Too bad it's compulsory, I was hoping to start with an easy semester." Jinhwan scrunched up his nose in disappointment.

"Really?! Me too! Oh, it can't be that bad, right? I mean it's music composing 101, so it can't be that complicated, you just write a song, and that's that." Bobby assured him optimistically. He had always loved composing, he had been doing it for as long as he could remember. Granted, it was mostly rap, but he had come up with a really good melody or two singing in the shower. He had full confidence that he was going to excel at this class. After all, he was finally doing what he had been born to do.

"Oh you think so, huh? Piece of cake, you think?" a beautiful voice snuck into his right ear, it was so melodic that it almost sounded like he was singing and not talking.

Bobby automatically turned around to find the source of the voice, and he was not disappointed. Rather he was taken aback by how absolutely perfect looking that guy was. It was as if he was a manhwa character come to life. And not just any manhwa character, but the one that won all the prices for the most detailed and delicate rendering. The one all the girls dreamed about, wallpapering their rooms with posters of him. 

Bobby had never really had a girl dream about him, or show any interest in him for that matter, not in that way. But it had never really bothered him either. He knew he was kind of dorky looking, he had eyes, he wasn't blind. And he had yet to meet that one girl, that special one who would make his heart miss a beat before speeding up and going absolutely haywire. Or that was how his mom had described it. He wasn't convinced that such a girl actually existed for him. He wasn't even sure he wanted her to exist. He was so in love with music that he doubted that any girl could compete with that. And he didn't want to marry someone that would always come second in his heart, that wouldn't be fair to the poor girl. That was why he had decided long ago to marry the music, the love of his life.

"Yeah, don't worry. I mean anyone can compose music, it's not like it's rocket science, you just write what's in here." Bobby knocked on his chest, brightly encouraging the manhwa boy.

Rather than being thankful, the boy snorted condescendingly and walked to the head of the class, looking around the room like he was sizing everyone up and then judging them. What was his deal? Was he their class leader, or maybe the TA? But either way, wasn't he supposed to be on their side? He didn't look like he was.

A few moments later he walked over to the door, closed it and locked it. What was going on? Was he taking them hostage? Bobby felt uncomfortable, he didn't want to die at the hands of some random student, no matter how handsome he was. 

Someone tried to open the door from the outside, knocking on it when the attempt proved unsuccessful. A kind looking boy stood up and was halfway towards the door to let whomever it was in, but the crazy manhwa figure stopped him with a simple wave of his finger. Had he no fear? What kind of a ridiculous prank was this? What if it was the professor knocking?

Bobby was about to stand up to put an end to this farce, when the boy spoke.

"If you're late, you're out. Simple as that. And if you don't show up, don't bother coming back later. I only teach those that want to be taught. If this class isn't the most important thing in your life right now, you might as well transfer to some other department where you can do the nine to five thing, clock in, clock out. Music isn't a job, it's a way of life and it isn't to be taken lightly. From now on and till the end of the semester, I own you." he declared in a loud, intimidating voice. Complete silence followed,  nobody dared even breathe. You could hear a pin drop. Bobby exchanged looks with a terrified Jinhwan. How could he be their teacher? He looked like he was their age. He hoped this was just some crazy nightmare. He would wake up any moment now. Come on. He pinched himself but nothing happened. 

"Now, throw your books away!" he commanded, his voice echoing through the classroom. 

Everyone looked confused, looking at each other for a hint of what they should do. 

"Don't just sit there like clueless sheep waiting to be herded." he scolded them as he walked in the direction of Bobby, drawing closer and closer. Bobby panicked, his insides threatening to leave on their own if he didn't run away. He held on to his book for dear life, his knuckles turning white his grip was so desperate. 

"Music can't be learned from some formulas in books." he said as he wrestled the book out of Bobby's hands and threw it on the floor with great force. So much in fact that the book split in two. The class gasped in unison. Bobby just stared at the heap of crumpled pages on the floor, feeling as if someone had just torn up his future. Not someone, him. Professor Kim Hanbin.