Seven

Crooked

A hand moved down, trailing, treading cautiously downwards…

A hand gently prodded their jeans open…

A hand quietly grazed the goal of the owner…

A hand gripped it tightly, easing out slowly…

A hand pulled out, biting their lip to hold back the smile…

A hand retrieved it, the owner walking away with a big grin…

 

In his paws was a wallet.

 

He popped open the sleek leather holder, bobbing his head to a nearby song playing from a department store. Inside was a few silvers, mainly copper and a single gold coin(s). Claws dug into the flimsy thing, teeth gritted in anger. This mission was a failure. He turned to glare at the male which he stole from, who was oblivious as the man turned to the next corner.

 

“Better than nothing.” The boy told himself, stuffing the wallet in his dirty short pocket and quickly broke into a run when a loud yell came in the general direction of who he stole from was. He knew that the man didn’t know what he looked like, so he was in the clear. But, he was more scared at the fact that he didn’t meet his weekly quota.

 

That means no food for the week.

--Damn parents…

  •  

 

Just the thought of starving more than he already was made the child raise the stakes and steal two more wallets, nearly at the dead-line as the sun began to fall. The boy counted his earnings, sighing in annoyance when the amount was nearly there. Just, one more gold. –Who was he fooling? It’s nearly impossible to have enough for a gold coin, and for a person to carry one for that matter.

 

His eyes watered as he watched the sun lower, becoming covered by the forest trees with stray beams bleeding though the shadows. This would be his third week going unfed. If it continued, he knew he wouldn’t be alive by Tuesday. And if he dared try his hand at stealing food from little cups with the owner standing over it, he’d be caught red-handed.

 

He can’t go to jail.

--That’d make him a burden.

…Not like he wasn’t already.

 

With shaky hands, he wiped his eyes and made his way home with drooping shoulders. His parents were going to kill him. No, set him on fire, then chop his body into little pieces and throw it to the demons. The crying child didn’t notice a woman walking in his direction, only meters in front of him and closing the gap. Vision blurred with tears, he rudely bumped into the woman and fell on his tail.

 

He yelped, scrambling to his feet and doing a whole 90 degree bow, “I’m sorry. I didn’t look where I was goin’.” The lady said nothing, staring at the hybrid with an unreadable expression before lowering to his height. “You don’t look rich.” She said in the bluntest way, making a statement about the vast status difference from the two. “And you abbreviate your words. –So, it seems you’re poor. Lowest of all classes.”

 

"Mhm."

 

He couldn’t say anything in return.

He couldn’t when she could send him to jail just for touching her.

He really hates the status pyramid.

 

“Do you need help with finances?”

 

He stared at her dumbly, tilting his head with small tufts of black ears flopping to the same side.

 

"Money."

 

He nodded excitedly, tail wagging as she silently urged her to continue.

 

“I can help you with that. I can give you a job, and every month is six gold. Is that enough for your troubles to disappear?” He was bouncing on his feet, smiling widely at the strange woman in a trench coat and nodded again. She smiled right back, ruffling curly hair and standing tall once again.

 

“Tell me your name, and we can get you started right away.”

 

“’M name is Zelo, ma’am!”

  •  

He returned at midnight, holding a single gold coin for starting the instant he was able to. Tail bouncing in glee, Zelo deposited all the coins in the one wallet he kept, stuffing it back in his pocket and checking the surrounding area. So far, not a single soul has approached the boy, so far so good.

 

The boy soon fell to all fours, feeling most natural in said position and darted from shadow to shadow until nearing the golden gates that towered over him greatly. Attached to a brick watch tower, the walls covering the city whole with light flickering in the towers. He frowned, cautiously making his way closer and closer, but soon scurrying to a shadow when a large flash of artificial light beamed down only inches away from him.

 

Darn it.

They bought lights, seriously?

They just wouldn’t give up.

 

His ears perked up, hearing a single cough and sensing body heat across from him. He looked, catching a glimpse of pink irises staring right back. They poked their head out, allowing Zelo to drink in their appearance and mentally record them in his mind.

 

It was a woman. No older than the age of twenty-five, dressed in rags and a hood over her head. They were a dirty cream, the mask an ebony shade that had the glow of a skeleton’s jaw engraved onto the material. She revealed her tail, which the boy knew that belonged to a raccoon. Before he could say anything, the woman spoke in tongue, a weird language that took him time to translate.

 

 

“You follow me. We go together. Come to my side.”

 

 

Even though the raccoon hybrids were known to be sly as foxes, he knew that as a wolf hybrid, they wouldn’t dare try to fool a predator. Especially a pup, when their parents could kill them for such a thing.

 

(But she doesn’t know about his ‘awesome’ parents. So, it’s a win-win.)

 

She waved him over with a flick of the wrist. Zelo glanced at the large flashlight before running to her place, claws digging into concrete to stop himself. Her tail twitched in greeting, which he returned politely. “You really understand my language? Do you truly, little one?”

 

He nodded stupidly, brows furrowed in question.

 

“Prodigy child. Good, good. So, do you see that tower with only flames?” Zelo was still blushing over the fact she called him a ‘prodigy’. But he soon broke out of thought and followed her eyes, nodding. Her slim fingers soon pointed at a smaller object, “Can you recognize the man if a hybrid or no?”

 

Zelo took a hesitant whiff of the crisp night air, all kinds of smells lingering in the sky that quickly threw him off. “Sorry.” Was all he said for her to know. She shrugged, eyes crinkling up to crescents that the boy could only assume as a smile. “It is quite fine. He is a dog, the true breed of a Doberman.”

 

Doberman.

Ugh, those hybrids he hated most.

--No, he was afraid of them completely.

 

“You climb the wall, as I follow, and I quickly sleep him. Then we run before they know. Is that of okay?” His mind was foggy, the translation was perfect, but to reword was taking too long, so the raw tongue made him tired. “It’s good. I signal you?”

 

She nodded.

 

When the raccoon dropped to all fours, he looked for the harsh beam of light, seeing it a ways off from them. Soon checking the hybrid, Zelo saw the same torch still in place, unmoving. “Follow.” He carefully left the shadow, treading slowly to the brick wall and moved to stand tall. He glanced back, the woman already behind him with rose colored eyes looking in all directions.

 

The wolf hybrid soon dug his long nails into the rocks, latching on and mentally thanking himself for being barefoot. All claws gripped the bricks as he hurriedly climbed the wall and waited for the lady. She popped up beside him, staring for a moment before jumping over the small cover and he heard a faint cry. “You come. We go hurry. Let us off.”

 

He lunged for the last brick, heaving himself over and panting as Zelo laid on the floor with sore muscles. “I take you. On you go.” After a second of rewording, the child groggily wrapped his bony arms around , legs around a slim waist as she stood again.

 

“I’m ready.”

 

The raccoon woman looked at the mighty fall, smiling to herself before jumping off the tower and feeling the air slice through her clothing. “Do not let go, child of wolf.” He only grunted, feeling bones shift and fur grow on the woman. Zelo grimaced, not liking the feeling of the transformation before the fell to the dirt ground in silence.

 

Under him was a pink-eyed raccoon half the size of a great pine tree. She must have been once a rare class to be such a mind-boggling height. “We are of okay. I rest tree, you home go.” Damn, how he hated raw tongue translations. “Thank you.”

 

“Name of dark eyes is Yasmine.” The name rolled off her lips like a gentle wave, putting him on his red feet and wincing as dirt gritted the skin. “Yasmine of the dark eyes, I thank you. I bid you good-bye.” He spoke in her tongue, seeing bright eyes before limping to his home where parents would beat him for sure.

  •  
  •  
  •  

“You brrraaatt!” She screeched, lunging for the pup as soon as he opened the door. He yelped, sliding between her legs and scrambling to the large single room in search for protection. An alpha male was what he collided into, the scent of his father washing over him. Said man only stared down at him, eyes scanning his pale body before flicking the ebony tail against the boy’s chest.

 

It was his own way of a greeting.

 

"BRAT!"

 

He whimpered fumbling to open his short pocket as the raging woman was running right to him. Before she could wrap her fingers around his little neck, Zelo nearly threw the bulging wallet at her, trembling in fright as she stopped and only left them in a tense silence.

 

Honestly, the child felt like he was actually being strangled, he couldn’t tell anymore.

 

“I-I-I have my quota!” He shouted, breaking the silence to feel a soft hand grab the wallet out of his paws gently. “A-A-And, and, I got a job… i-it’s six gold a month…” There was nothing left to be said, so the pup was readying himself to be hit. But the only thing that actually touched him was soft fur that belonged to his father’s tail.

 

“Oh my…. Lucifer has given us a wish. Baby, that’s great… we-we might be able to eat more. T-This is… oh my gosh…” She was speechless, tears dripping down her smudged cheeks under the cold gaze of her husband who said nothing, but only ruffled the boy’s hair.

 

His own way of showing how proud he was.

 

 

 

 

Zelo slept under the warmth of two parents, alpha and omega as they wrapped their tails around him.

That was a good day.

  •  

 

Things were looking up for them.

Just after the little ray of hope…

It turned into the blinding sunshine he used to hate with a burning passion.

 

  •  

 

Good things never last.

No.

They never do.

At least… not with them.

  •  

 

It had been a little more than just a month since Zelo returned with the good news. Things were truly turning around for them. It was his Mother’s idea to celebrate for how well everything had been going. She had decided on a simple trip at night in the city, wanting to just walk around and feel at complete ease.

 

His father didn’t say anything, but made it clear he agreed by shrugging on a coat.

 

Zelo happily followed, in the middle of them with one hand holding theirs.

 

He felt nothing but relief.

 

 

But...

A child is supposed to have no worries.

That was just an unspoken rule.

 

 

Everyone was sleeping, well—the people with common sense. Drunkards and the ones who maybe caught a late screening were on the streets, stumbling, fumbling on their feet with stupid faces. He would try to copy and they would smile at the little hybrid.

 

Yes, the wall and large ray of light was still there, guarding the people from outsiders and demons if they tried to sneak in for a midnight snack. Truthfully, the ones in charge weren’t that good. If someone his age could sneak in and out daily, I’m sure if the employer knew, they’d all be fired.

 

“Tonight is crisp. Cold air that can only remind me of home. Don’t you think, honey?” The pup’s mother asked her husband, only seeing in the darkness a short bob of the head. Time was moving fast, they were on their way back from the walk already, trying to not get caught.

 

With a jerk on his hand, Zelo was pulled behind a building with his Father having a palm over his lips and the wife breathing silently. The light slowly passed by, moving back and forth before going straight passed them. “Let’s go. Come on.” She urged, tugging them out of their hiding spot and dragging the duo to the next shadow over.

 

Worry and something else coiled in his stomach, making the boy feel suddenly uncomfortable in his own skin. Zelo, he just felt—almost felt as if he was being watched. It seemed idiotic, since duh he was being watched—but, it seemed more evil. More dark and something that was on a whole other level.

 

And he really wanted to go home.

Where he began to feel safe after two years.

 

He could still feel the sharp gaze, unable to pinpoint the location, but it burned into his flesh. Just from the aura that began to flow as freely as the air, clogging his senses until just about everything seemed like a blur. “M-Momma…” Zelo whimpered, eyes widening at a familiar taste rising in the back of his throat as he slapped a hand over his mouth.

 

“Honey what—oh dear…” She could smell the bile, quickly pushing her child into the alley way they currently hid in, pinching her nose as he regurgitated whatever he had. (Which was actually nothing.) So, it was only spit and droplets of blood. “Are you okay?” He only coughed, not liking the fact that the feeling didn’t settle in his stomach.

 

“I-I think…. W-w-we’re being watched. I feel like someone is choking me…” Before the mother could possibly try to console her weeping child, his father shushed them. Then poked his head out where they were with now glowing blue eyes.

 

That would be my aura, little wolf,

 

A dark, baritone voice dripping with venom and mocking laughter rang in his mind. Apparently, he wasn’t the only one who heard it. Both adults turned to the darker ways of the alley, eyes the size of plates with shuddering breaths. “O-Oh my—Zelo, run right now.” His mother hissed in gritted teeth, forcing him to his feet and pushing him near the exit.

 

“But Momma—“

 

A black tail flicked against his arm.

 

"But..."

 

Now, now—I want everyone to stay. Come here, boy.

 

Before he knew it, his legs were taking him closer to the darkness. Zelo could hear his mother’s protesting shouts but they wouldn’t stop. With squinted eyes, the pup could see narrowed, white eyes glowing as he neared. “What are you doing?!” She snarled worriedly, grabbing his arm with a bruising grip and tried to pull him back.

 

“You are an omega. You reek of innocence. Sadly, little wolf, you are something I can’t bear to devour. So, just enjoy the show.” A shadow-like figure came from the darkness, walking past the now unmoving child with a sinister smirk playing on his lips. By a rough estimation, Zelo was around the size of his paw, and that, was utterly terrifying.

 

A scratching sound bounced off the walls, the source being chains that dragged on the floor. Zelo couldn’t move, his feet were planted as his father moved in front of his mother. “That’s cute.” The demon wolf said in distaste, like as if it was revolting to say on his tongue.

 

The rest was two wolves fighting each other to the death.

 

…I’m pretty sure you know who won……

 

Zelo couldn’t scream.

He was sure the alpha put some sort of spell.

His throat felt dry and no words would leave his lips.

 

The child flinched when a gurgling sound was made right beside his ear. His eyes slowly moved to see the bloodied face of his Mother, red oozing from and the stench of death invaded the sensitive senses. Her neck was between large teeth clamped over, literally chewing her like some toy.

 

Your innocent face, I hate it.

 

Zelo watched with teary eyes as the huge, dominating wolf threw her to the side, staring right at him with white eyes. Then lips curled into a soft smile. I suppose we part ways… “W-W-Wait! What did you do to my momma and daddy?”

 

The smile changed to a lopsided smirk. I killed them.

 

That was enough for him to come to realization.

  •  
  •  
  •  

His parents were just murdered.

In front of him.

By a demon.

And it’s leaving him alive.

Alone.

In this world.

 

The creature was moving, ears perked up and his slanted eyes shined bright in shock. “Right away, I am returning now.” It didn’t spare him a glance, stepping in the air and quite clearly walking up like there was stairs. “…W-Wh…….” He watched it go, said creature floating until above the wall and fading away.

 

“Kill me too…” The pup cried, sinking to his knees and crawling to their bodies. There they lied, blood pooling around their corpses and cold as winter. In the need for warmth and love, Zelo snuggled in between the two bodies, not caring about the smell or the liquid drenching his clothes. “Kill me too…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“A wolf who was never cared for prayed. . .”

 

 

 

Please. Please, never let my mate allow me to feel this pain ever again...

 

 

Somewhere, out there, a body glowed as a mark was burned into their skin.

~

Currency (not final)

Copper- $1

Silver- $5

Gold- $100

Diamond (depending on size) $200-10,000 (10,000=size of a grown male's hand/palm.)

~

Sooooooo, how's that? Tell me your thoughts and ask questions--if you have any! Have a good day~