15 Sneak Peek

Crooked

“Sic’ em!” Feral snarls and aggressive barks trailed after the little boy. A small bag filled with fruits trapped tightly in his jaws. His little paws slapped against the cobblestone in a rushed manner, not daring to look back at his demise. Thief! Thief! Thief! They screamed in slobbery bellows, teeth snapping just a hair away from his tail. I’m sorry. Was all the child could say, since it was impossible to think that he would not do it again.

Small, thin claws skidded him to a drifting turn to the left, hind legs kicking up in a wild run. He just needed to make it out of the city and they wouldn’t be allowed to chase after. That was his only safe placeeven though he lived in the grand city. Crates shattered from behind him. The wolf snuck a peek to see one dog covered in splinters, deciding to lay in the debris and allow the others to continue without him.

He dove under open legs, ignoring the horrified screams of wealthy women and profanities from men. The gates graced his line of vision timely, open in wait for the little wolf. He nearly made it. Nearly. God dammit. A dog took a gamble and lunged at him, claws raking down his shoulder blades like knives that had him crying out. His body lost its balance as he stumbled to the dirty floor, tufts of fur fluttering in the wind innocently.

“Got you!” One snarled, pinning down his arms and the other biting him on the throat. He screamed a choked howl, eyes glistening in unshed tears as he kicked out his legs where the longest nails laid in wait. Blood dripped onto his bluish-black fur, breaking into a full waterfall of crimson waters. Teeth slackened off his scruff, a shadow collapsing on top of his lithe figure with a hot splatter onto his tummy.

He grimaced, both from disgust and horror of killing someone of the same family and a corpse on him. Then the wolf saw an opportunity. Brown eyes were wide in shock from the other dog’s death, grip lessening by the second. Zelo spit out the bag to jerk his head up suddenly, sinking his fangs around the whole neck easily. Then snapping his powerful jaws on the throat, in hopes of crushing it.

And that Zelo did.

He could literally feel the body part squeezing and turning into mush, mildly reminding him of chewed up food. The dog’s mouth was agape, eyes dull as blood trickled down the tongue and beside his own fur. Throwing the canine to the side, he struggled to his feet and meekly picked up the little bag. People nowadays saw that as the norm, it happened way too often for its own good. It was a little messed up with minor holes but nothing was too damaged to become inedible.

Only his throat was sore, but it wasn’t anything he couldn’t bear with. Zelo limped to the next block and hiding in a narrow alleyway, preferring the darkness than light. It took him a moment to form back to his hybrid self, coughing as soft fingers felt the puckering scars up his collarbones and neck. With bruising arms, the wolf quietly opened his bag and took out a little strawberry.

Zelo savored the damn thing, stuffing himself full with food from oranges up to small cherries.

 

“Mama.” He muttered with a crack in his voice, eyes settling on the full moon. “Is it nice up there with Da?” Curling up in a tight ball, Zelo nuzzled into his bony arms and sniffed, “Maybe I can visit sometime.”

“Yeah.”

“That’d be nice.”

~

A hybrid zoomed inches above the treetops, a gust of air following that rivaled a mighty roar. Leaves arched back, branches snapping and even some flying out of the soil itself. Down below, there was a shadow on the ground. It zipped around roots and over debris like a lightning bolt, following the other with ease. Low-ranked demons and hybrids alike avoided the duo like the plague, hiding in the shade of trees.

---

Don't worry i'm still here. Just with some writers block and i'm slowly overcoming it once again.I wanted to give you a peek as a small apology. -Kitty