Fourteen

Crooked

Read the A/N? Please? Thanks. It’ll explain a little about how I’m exactly following each chapter.

~

 

 

 

 

 

He pressed himself against the brick walling, hiding himself behind the building. Knights in armor of steel clicked with every movement, running past the road which Jongup hid in. The male let out a breath, just slightly peeking out to check the road again. It was barren, excluding the few citizens walking around innocently.

 

Jongup moved away from the spot, taking off his hood and searching for some sort of mirror. A clear puddle of water would suffice, the hybrid thought happily when seeing the sparkle of sun on water. He leaned over it, frowning at the sight of messy hair with shimmering silver fur.

 

Dirty hands pressed against the locks, forcing his cat ears flat before fixing the hood to cover his eyes. Checking one last time for his hidden tail, he finally stepped onto the main road and glanced around cautiously. Nobody turned to look at him, but there was a knight currently hitting up a woman a few feet away.

 

The hybrid kept his head low, trekking down to the direction he was originally going. Gosh, my tail is going stiff! Said limb twitched hopefully around his hips, literally asking for freedom. Jongup looked away with a frown, checking the knight again as he passed by.

 

That man was still talking to the woman, which was a positive for Jongup. He smiled to himself, making larger strides to hurry out of the large city and onto the next. If this keeps up, then I can make it out without being chased again! He had to be optimistic, otherwise the boy would have gone a bit crazier than he already is.

 

“Yah! You there! Stop!” He froze, feeling that gaze settling on him immediately. That armored knight unsheathed his sword without hesitation, walking to him with heavy steps. Jongup gulped, not lifting his head but bowing it further till his own neck ached at the position.

 

Shiny boots came to view, “Young man! Raise up your chin.” He slowly shook his head, hands gripping the hem of his ripped sweater anxiously. “Do you have a reason for defying my orders?”

 

I’d die if you saw my face…

 

“I’m just… passing through.” The demon ended up mumbling instead of a more believable excuse. The blade touched the placement of his racing heart, tapping his chest roughly, “That only grows my suspicion. Take off the hood.” He stepped back unconsciously, feebly trying to not start a random breakout that would surely devastate the city to ruins.

 

I am the Devastator after all…

 

“I can’t. I apologize.”

“If you do not—I will send you to prison for defying orders to keep order in the city.”

 

I’m in quite the bind… What to do, what to do…?

 

"Aha… Sorry, sir. I must be going“ Jongup his heel sharply, beginning his speed-walk to create distance that was humanly possible without getting any curious eyes. “…? Y-Yah!!” The back of his ratty sweater was gripped, pulled in the wrong place and ripping off his hood.

 

His silver ears shot up, flicking in alarm as they swiveled in different directions as silence followed. Jongup whipped his head around, eyes wide in shock and minor fear. The guard removed his own headgear and showed the boy his hate filled eyes. “The Devastator! He is here to bring our demise! Call the Knights of Heaven—“

 

Jongup shushed him.

 

His hand covering the man’s lips with elongating claws digging into his cheeks. “Shh! I was doing good too—“ Everyone in an earshot began screaming bloody murder. Jongup glared at the human deeply, using the traditional tactics to end a life cleanly.

 

Dark brown orbs forming to bright red that were glistening in anger. To scare them with their demonic force until their body pleaded submission through death. Jongup didn’t get to finish as something sharp pricked his bare neck. Growling in the back of his throat, the demon turned to see a hunter with a hollow bamboo shoot pressed against his lips.

 

Giving his tail the freedom it wanted, Jongup curled the limb around the dart and ripped it out with ease. Then slamming it to the ground, shoving away the knight as the clatter of metallic boots echoed in his cat ears. Using a secret technique Reliquiae taught him, his spiritual form of demon claws s around the shooter’s body and broke him like a twig.

 

The barely visible energy dispersed into poison.

 

“It is him! It is Moon Jongup!” He didn’t turn to the direction the voice came from. Instead opting to run straight to a sturdy building and spitting on his hands. Give me acid. Any acid. The clear fluid morphed to neon green, and the hybrid pounced on the smooth wall.

 

Eating through the bricks, it gave Jongup space to climb with. Bare feet slotting into the left over gaps, he clambered up and jumped onto the flat roof. Taking a few paces back, he broke into a run and jumped to the next rooftop, rolling to ease the landing.

 

“Shoot him down!” The same person cried with a finger pointing at him. Jongup looked away, balancing on the very edge of the second roof and bending back for extra strength. He arched back flexibly, hands on the flatter area of the concrete and flipping himself back to dodge bullets.

 

As soon as his bandaged feet touched the ground again, the hybrid sprinted off and moved himself to dive at a faster rate, also decreasing the survival rate. No, not really. He’s done this for over ten years! His fingertips pressed against the flooring, flicking himself back up for a front flip.

 

The clanking of metal against metal was still behind him, within his range. It’s really testing my will, Jongup thought as he tilted his head to the side, seeing the spinning bullet fly past him. Roughly estimating the amount of time given with the variables of speed an average human has and weight of suits, he came up with thirty seconds.

 

It’s pushing the usual forty-five.

 

Sitting down and splitting his legs, he pressed his chest to the ground for half the time usually needed. Then scrambling to his feet to stretch his arms, popping his knuckles and clenching them comfortably. Jumping in the air and falling back easily, he deemed it enough to pass by without much trouble.

 

Twenty-five.

 

“There he is!” Damn, off by five seconds. Already picking up into a jog, he analyzed his surroundings and quickly assumed the length and amount of power needed. His guessing was kinda on point, like all the time. Seeing a small cloth on top of a little stall that was stretched out to protect the goods, Jongup turned to it.

 

My weight is around 120—given that it’s like a trampoline type of fabric then it would rip the moment I use it to jump and switch sides. The percentage of success is about 30%. If it fails, then I would have to kill them all.

 

(This is not following his actual weight. I know his real weight. It’s just different for now.)

 

Jongup bit his lip in slight worry, already leaping to the stall as he passed the knights by air. That worry grew when his vision momentarily hazed and the fabric under his feet ripped before sending him right back up. The medicine was natural then. He gritted his teeth, knowing artificial medicines wouldn’t affect him whatsoever.

 

He heaved himself over the wall, not having enough strength from the shot just now setting in. The demon cut his wrist horizontally and on the black blood that bloomed out of the wound. Immunity to poisons of all kind. My own dosage of blood should counter the symptoms and let me spit out human colored body fluids as an effect.

 

Jongup could already feel those growing symptoms going away. A good sign. The male got to his feet and jumped down to the backroads. Before making to his escape, he felt the bile rise in his mouth. With a slight grimace, the demon turned away and regurgitated only human blood that painted the white walls red.

 

Good. Good. I need to go—I’m sure they saw me.

 

He wiped his lips and jumped over the barb wire fence, running in the long grass that effortlessly hid his small body.

~

 

 

 

 

 

 

Human corpses surrounded him.

 

Jongup looked at each one in innocent confusion. He had only just arrived. And for some reason, any humans near him died within his hearing range. Hybrids of the weaker race did as well, but it was slower, thus concluding to a painful death.

 

He scratched his head worriedly, wondering if it was possible for him to carry some virus that killed off the weak. Though that would be a stupid virus—helpful, but stupid. Nose scrunched up in distaste, Jongup hopped around the stinking bodies and yawned.

 

Don’t get him wrong—he does feel bad. Though killing is a little fun, he does not like doing it often.

 

Since everyone was practically already dead, there wasn’t a point in covering himself. Gently removing his tail out of the belt loops, Jongup walked around aimlessly with child-like curiosity b in his soul whole. He was never given the chance to truly explore—since he was wanted and placed on Death Row.

 

The demon shuffled inside a clothing store, sniffing the air cautiously to only gag on rotting flesh invading his senses. Presuming it safe, he rushed in and picked out what he needed, especially multiple sweaters so being tracked would be harder.

 

After stuffing them into a backpack, he slowly pulled out his old rabbit doll, nuzzling it comfortingly before placing it above everything else. Somehow, throughout the years Jongup has been running, the little bunny hadn’t been damaged too badly. If you ignored some blood stains on his white fur, that is.

 

Zipping it up in relief, he slipped on the straps and waddled out the barren store with a little smile.

 

Jongup soon visited every other store, putting some more items in the backpack that went from water to pieces of candy. Fully suited for a few years, the demon ambled down the cobblestone path with hands in his pockets. From afar, it looked as if he had let down his guard completely, like a beginner in the life of fugitives.

 

One ear twitched just a sliver as he hummed a tune, snapping his fingers to his own self-created beat. Eyes closed to just forget reality for a moment, for just a moment, he sang to himself.

 

His singing didn’t deter when his hearing caught onto someone breathing. It wasn’t all too important. They would just die, so why be uptight?

 

But that thought was crossed out of his cheerful mind when the whistle of something eased closer to him. Jongup turned to face the little hunting knife spinning straight to him with precise aim, and lifted his leg. The second before it came into his personal bubble, it was kicked into the sky as his demonic eyes searched for the culprit.

 

He sensed no will for bloodshed, so Jongup continued on his way with a sway of a glittery tail.

~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Sir. I have located the boy known as Moon Jongup.” Daehyun spoke lowly, moving through the walls of abandoned homes filled with lukewarm bodies. “Awesome Sauce!” Himchan butted in, the echoes of clapping irritating the hound. “Yay, hyung!” The youngest cheered softly, knowing to tread carefully when speaking to him.

 

“Are you trailing him?” Yongguk’s voice murmured clearly enough for Daehyun to hear well enough. “Yes sir.” He replied, a small blade in hand that his fingers drummed on. “Has he noticed you?”

 

“Obviously not, otherwise Daehyun-hyung would be dead, Chan-hyung!” Zelo said in a tone that was made to annoy the second eldest. “Yah! Rude child, you are! I can’t ask anything, can I?”

 

“Both of you, shush. Daehyun, continue to trail him—“

 

Daehyun didn’t hear the rest as the boy’s ears seemed to pick up on his presence. He was just breathing dammit. “He knows that I’m watching.”

 

“He won’t do anything unless you provoke him.” Himchan said knowingly. “He isn’t an animal.” Zelo grumbled with a pout in his tone. “Ehh?! I never said that! Gukkie, this child needs to be disciplined!”

 

“Hyung. I’m engaging from afar—his guard has slipped.”

“No. Wait Dae—“

 

The demon hound twirled the knife before throwing it with the target being Jongup’s head. He blinked in masked shock as the man turned and lifted his leg just a sliver. To easily kick up the human weapon with his foot and change eye color to find him.

 

“Daehyun. You are not to engage again. Long range attacks have no effect on him. I will send out Himchan next.”

 

“Isn’t that dangerous?” The tracker questioned skeptically, now carelessly leaning against the wall he was once inside of.

 

“He can control himself. I put him second-in-command for a reason.”

 

“Uh-huh! I can totally hold myself back! Gosh, I’ll definitely hit you when you come back!”

 

Daehyun broke of the connection and sighed. He knew Himchan wasn’t kidding.

~

 

 

Okay. So these are now out of order. From the start of Himchan’s chapter, they are in all different time periods. That’s why I can understand all of your confusion. And for this one.

The second piece of this is in a different time period, in the future. (After '~' was seen.)

I hoped this helped a little? Yeah.

Bye. Kitty.