Chapter 2

Crooked

“A soul from the Heavens and Hells was created…”

 

Violins were playing. Flutes quietly in the background. A ball you could say. An orchestra on stage with guests of royalty dancing with grace and utter elegance. Their own inner beauty becoming vibrant as the red moon. If not dancing, then they were merely conversing with others or at the private bar that took up half of the wall.

 

Dresses and suits that defined every single person, by race and by social statuses that were made by the people themselves. They took pride in what they were, not an ounce of doubt or hesitation to speak to one of higher class.

Even those who fell in the lower class, like servants and mere workers for the dukes and duchesses. They were quite satisfied, being taken care of well and being paid a generous amount of money too.

Even beings such as them did not try and ruin the lives of their own kind. No, only those who threatened theirs.

 

The music reached its .

 

They took one last step before bowing at the orchestra, walking off hand in hand with their partners.

 

Servants scrambled, picking up trays filled with assortments of desserts and odd drinks for each race. They were assigned a single type, it being their own and brought them whatever they needed. –That was the ground rule in this home.

As the guests seated themselves in their tables, they were served and immediate joy crossed their faces. “Thank you.” They were always grateful for what every single person would do.

 

The band disappeared with a snap of the King’s fingers, turning to a puff of smoke and likely at their households. A tall demon sat up beside him, head held high with its nose in the air. He was being petted by the King, which some guests gaped at.

 

It was the first any person had seen the King himself, including the servants who worked in his very own home. But, it seemed to exclude the demon beside him, and of course, the Queen. The King raised his head, looking at the group of people with a blank look that could be misunderstood as a sharp glare.

 

“I am grateful for all of you for coming.” Was all he said, unknowingly making females of all races shiver at the sound of his voice. The demon beside him suddenly stood up, bowing his head softly and quickly excusing himself. The King rolled his eyes with an amused smile.

 

“That is my personal servant. He has been a part of my household ever since he came to our lives.” Everyone eyed the wolf, quiet whispers echoing in the ballroom. The demon let out a dark growl, silencing the room as he balanced a golden tray on his head, a single glass of wine on the tray.

 

There was more gossip floating around, pointing and openly judging him with no shame. He walked up back to the stage, letting the King grasp the glass and the being quickly slid the tray onto his back.

 

“May you bring the Queen from her room? She must be ready by now, don’t you think?” The King sounded friendly, very much approachable unlike before. He had a monotone and sharp tone in his voice, but now it was very light and easy-going. “I would believe so. I will go fetch her.” The wolf bowed, making his way back to the bar and setting down the tray before scurrying to the stairs, floating up instead of walking.

 

“Perhaps you are too young to have heard of Jangnan… but, he is a great demon. A being who could destroy the world if he decided to, so please, do not make him angry by your thoughts.” Everyone took his warning seriously, instantly quieting and no longer speaking of the servant any longer.

 

The wolf soon returned with a woman, in a beautiful dress of feathers and rubbing her stomach in a soothing manner. “Are you alright, my lady?” He asked as she gripped his scruff as they made their way down the stairs. “Aish, you know why. But now it’s really noticeable.” She whined, pouting until seeing her husband.

 

“Sorry for making you wait, darling.” She whispered, settling herself down on her own seat and smiled at the servant. “Sorry for grabbing you, dear.” He shook his head, “It is for your own good, I do not mind, my lady.”

 

“You were informed as to why you were all invited, correct?” There were many responses given. The King frowned, dark eyes dilating upon hearing them answer.

 

“It was the result of who would be the guardian of my last son, who has been given a curse. The curse of being mixed with Heaven and Hell at once, all fit into his body which grows as we speak.” The dukes looked at the Queen with cold eyes, looking at the small bump that she was smiling down at.

 

The wolf could sense the sudden tension and brought himself in front of her, glaring at every single person who dared to look at the child.

 

“And yes, the curse has been confirmed. Most of you took it upon yourselves to try and prove to me your worth. But, it was only after I sent this letter that I decided who it would be… I have decided on my own personal servant, Jangnan.”

 

Nobody went against the decision, or spoke their thoughts on the matter. They simply accepted it and eyed the smiling servant. “I’m glad it is you. Honestly, you are the only servant I can truly trust unconditionally.” The Queen said sweetly, seeing his smile again.

 

“We are grateful for you, dukes and duchesses, on trying to protect our final child. We thank you for that,” Jangnan stopped smiling, now glancing at the bump that seemed to kick without the woman knowing. He could barely sense the presence of the child itself, the unknown curse and its symptoms most likely being the cause.

 

And the fact that he lied about what demon he truly was…

 

“Too bad for you… I am the one who will watch the boy of Chaos.” A deep voice sounded in his head, scaring him by the sudden intrusion.

 

Who are you?

 

He dared to ask, closing his eyes to feel no life in his mind, just… emptiness. But, there was a white glow of two eyes piercing the dark smog that was protection for his head.

 

“The one who will kill you tonight… you’ll see.” His eyes shot open, breathing in air erratically without grabbing any person’s attention. Kill me? He will kill me?

 

“I know you aren’t the Demon of Destruction….because I am.”

 

--Agumai. It was the real Demon of Destruction speaking to him. “I’ve waited centuries for my task, and a lowly thing like you will not get in my way.” Jangnan could feel the pure evil flowing out of the other demon’s voice, it was frightening to feel.

 

T-Task? What task?

 

“Why should I bless you with an answer? But… maybe I’ll take the child tonight—will you be able to protect his tiny, weak soul? Or will you fail and watch me snatch him from you?”

 

I won’t let you do that!

 

“Because you wanted to?” Aguami revealed himself, well—his spiritual form only Jangnan was allowed to see. He was a much larger wolf, towering over Jangnan as if he was a mere child to him. Nobody in their time had ever seen Agumai before, only feeling his evil aura once in a while.

 

“Don’t you know? I can read a soul’s true motives. One of the many things I’ll teach the child once in my hands.” Jangnan could only gulp, backing into a small table, tipping it over and hitting the ground.

 

Everything went silent.

 

Agumai smirked, his lips and eyeing the Queen in amusement as she fussed over the tiny wolf. “How disgusting. May God bless you. Oh wait, that’s a sin.” Jangnan watched in horror as the Demon of Destruction nosed into the Queen’s bump, showing a black soul inside that he was unable to locate before.

 

“I see… What a grand curse. He’s beautiful. I’ll take care of him—I promise.” Agumai whispered, smiling wickedly when Jangnan swiped at him. But… he hurt the Queen in the process.

  •  

 

Agumai laughed, a deep laugh that only scared Jangnan even more. “You’ll get killed by your own family! That’s amazing! I love it.” He purred, lapping the blood that poured out of the woman’s wound.

 

“Jangnan! What on earth are you doing?!”

 

“S-Sir! T-There is a demon trying to take the child as we speak!”

 

“Oh? Trying to get him to do the dirty work? Why not protect the child yourself? –How you were assigned to? Or can you not do that?” He taunted Jangnan, seeing the King reveal his reptilian eyes that locked onto him immediately.

 

“Oh, the King! What an honor!” Agumai mocked, chuckling when the King only stared at him. “Who the are you?! –Everyone, leave the premises now! A demon is upon us!” They were all screaming, running with every race mingling into the only exit.

 

The Queen tried to get up as well, following her lover’s orders, but was pinned down by Agumai, who fully revealed himself. The spiritual form faded to show his real being. The home was filled with a dark fog, slowly suffocating them as Agumai at the Queen’s stomach.

 

“Aren’t you going to protect your child, or your wife? Hmm? Or no, once knowing I’m the real Demon of Destruction?” He asked, biting down on her scaled flesh and pulling out the black soul very slowly.

 

“Leave the child alone!” Jangnan cried, launching himself at the much stronger demon to only be shot back by a small flick of the chained tail. The Queen screamed, gripping her baby’s soul and trying to take it back. The King quickly showed his dragon’s hand and clawed down Agumai’s shoulder.

 

But to only see it heal in a matter of seconds.

 

“You are not worthy of this child. You will die by my hands, as I give this child a true home.” The parents could only blindly attack the DoD, but unable to stop what was to come.

 

“P-Please—have mercy on my baby!!!” The mother pleaded, clawing at the soul, unknowingly injuring it in the process. It angered the demon. His white, soulless eyes glowed, chains moving on their own accord and binding the woman tightly.

 

“You’re hurting him!” He roared, choking the King with his tail when seeing him readying an attack. With a final tug, the soul was successfully ripped out of her body, but small slivers of the darkness began to fade.

 

“Y-You… you hurt him… I’ll ing murder you for it!!” Agumai nosed the soul before placing it next to him, putting his full attention on the woman. The fog became denser, and Agumai put both paws on the Queen’s stomach, digging the sharp nails into it.

 

“I hope Lucifer sends you to Heaven!” He snarled, tearing away at flesh in front of the helpless King, devouring the woman and her soul with a dark smile on blood filled lips.

 

Agumai was in a daze, unable to control his hunger for death as he eyed the King, moving him in front of his face and a long red stripe down the other’s cheek. He wanted to kill them all—all of them for hurting the Child of Chaos.

 

He would not have mercy—not a single ounce was in his being.

 

“And you…” Agumai growled lowly, pinning the King down and opening his mouth wide. “I’ll be sure you suffer the most.” A red light began to form, becoming a concentrated beam that the DoD aimed at the head of the King. It made instant contact and destroyed the body whole.

 

“Jangnan… Come out~” He sang evilly, no longer seeing the other wolf from his vision. “Jangnan… come on out~” There was the lightest sound of claws scraping tiles, none that were the Dod’s. “Aren’t you going to protect the little child?” Agumai asked, moving to said being and nuzzling it comfortingly.

 

“Or… let me have him?” With that, Jangnan appeared from a puff of poisonous smoke from the ceiling and shot down, baring his fangs in challenge. “Get away from the soul!” The Dod merely laughed, catching the other with his jaws by the neck and slowly crushing it.

Blood trickled down Agumai’s face, which held a bright smile that seemed innocent. “Y-You monster…” Jangan muttered, spitting up blood while speaking. The stronger of the two threw the other to the floor, creating a crater in the process.

 

“Isn’t that what demons—us are supposed to be? Or am I wrong?” Agumai whispered into his ear, turning around and smiling down at the black soul. “W-Wha…what are you g-gonna do?” He didn’t answer, instead, showing the other.

 

With a long , the DoD ate the child and swallowed him with a cold smile. “W-What the f-?!” Agumai snickered, but soon whined in pain when his stomach began to expand. Growing in size until the soul deemed it to his liking.

 

“The Child will be healing and living inside me until birth.” Jangnan was speechless, staring with wide eyes at the child now inside Agumai.

 

“As his guardian, I would know what’s best. I would rather do this that risk his own pathetic life.” The DoD approached the crippled wolf, sitting down with a slight wince and smiling down darkly at the other. “Send this message to Lucifer, if you don’t want to see me again.”

 

What is it?

 

“Oh, your throat. I see—well, tell this little one’s grandfather that the Demon of Destruction will be his guardian from now on. And… if he wants to stop me—good luck.”

 

I don’t think I’ll make it by then…

 

“What a predicament. I’ll just leave the message myself. I thank you beforehand.”

 

  •  

 

“I’m going to use your blood, of course.”

  •  

 

Lucifer. I am Agumai, Demon Wolf of Destruction. I have taken your grandchild under my care. I am his guardian—I am sure you know of this, correct? But, if you dare try and take him… I’ll kill you all.

 

It was written with black blood, a heap of fur laying under the liquid, eyes gouged out and half-eaten. Lucifer blinked as he read the message, turning to see the dead bodies of his son and the once Queen. Serpents surrounded him, “My lord! Should we go after them?”

 

  •  

 

“B-But, my lord… he killed your only son!”

 

Lucifer smiled. “He is the guardian. Why should I attack the guardian?”

 

“He killed your son!!!”

 

The demon glared at the serpents, black flames growing around them, “Enough. My word is final. You will not follow.”

 

~

Thank you for the subscribers, that's nice of you. 

If you're confused on something, comment and i'll answer if I won't spoil the story.

And... thoughts? I hope it was okay--for your standards, of course. 

Have a good night.