Six

Crooked

He knew he wasn’t exactly normal.

He knew he wasn’t some hybrid you’d find walking down the street.

He knew that much, but nothing more.

 

He just wanted to know what he was.

And why.

  •  

 

For some reason, he can’t seem to get anyone, anyone at all to be his friend. The village wasn’t racist, they were a very peaceful village that got along with their kind easily. But when it came to him specifically, human and hybrid alike would run before he could even open his mouth. He’s just a child, of course he doesn’t understand or know why.

 

It puzzled him to no end. So in reality, all he had was his stuffed bunny named Amicus and the inner demon inside that went by Reliquiae. They were both something irreplaceable in his soft heart, which his beast loved dearly. Wherever he went, Amicus would be in his tiny hands and always held onto, no matter what. Travelers, or others who were not from their village, to them it was adorable.

 

Only because they didn’t know what he was. To them, he was a cute hybrid that was a real sweetheart. But, only until villagers or any hybrid living in said place would explain, those voices that cooed and pinched his cheeks would go away. They’d create a large gap and yelp if he ever tried to get closer.

 

The tiny boy assumed it was because he had a short fuse. Or, in other words, quick tempered. Sure, tons of people were too, but his were different. His would be the child lashing out and his animalistic demon inside raging, along with him. It was so bad, that his own parents warned him to ignore anyone starting a fight and just come home the instant he felt angry.

 

Being the obedient child he was, the boy agreed whole heartedly.

Although he couldn’t control it, he promised he’d do his best.

 

It didn’t last long.

 

He can remember a time when he was angry. So ing furious that he even roared. He didn’t like what they did. They weren’t allowed to do that. They didn’t have the right to do it.

 

What did they do?

…They ripped his bunny Amicus to pieces.

  •  

 

He was playing by himself. Like always, he sat in the very corner of the metal fence surrounding the playground in the school yard and declared it his own. Maybe the demon inside was a bit possessive, he wasn’t sure at the time. Amicus was holding onto his hand, sitting in his lap when he settled on the wet grass. Everyone else was playing on the concrete, but that doesn’t mean he gets to as well.

 

Besides, it’s not like he wanted to leave his little resting place. He was perfectly happy in his own little world, making his bunny dance in front of him on a pile of flowers he pulled out. They were mainly dandelions, but only to make a fluffy stage for Amicus and as well as a cuddly bed for his rabbit. There would be times where his silver tail would accidently flick off a few, but nothing too bad that could make him angry in the slightest.

 

When he heard the crunching of feet on drying grass, he didn’t think much of it. Assuming that some of the older kids didn’t care about the rain and maybe wanted to play in mud. As long as they didn’t bother him in his kingdom, he would keep to himself. But his two little fluffs of cat ears perked up the moment a fresh scent of baby powder was inhaled.

 

They were too close.

No, no. Don’t be a baby and throw a fit.

I’m a big kid! We don’t do that anymore!

 

His eyes didn’t leave Amicus as he slowed to a stop from the playful dance to the stuffed toy merely held in his hands. Their footsteps became clearer, along with the smell of the human powder, his nose scrunched up in distaste. They were way too close. He nervously put down his friend on top of the yellow dandelions and turned away to rip out blades of wet grass.

 

Amicus needed a blanket.

He was tired from all the dancing.

Momma said every growing person needs a good night sleep.

But, it’s not night—she doesn’t have to know.

 

As his little hands became full with the grass, he failed to notice the big kids sneakily picking up his rabbit. The teachers were supposed to make sure nobody tried to mess with him, but that doesn’t mean they did a very good job of it. He only noticed when he turned with a toothy smile, “Amicus~ I have your… Amicus?” The boy thought he simply misplaced his friend, looking all around him to see nothing.

 

His stomach began to knot uncomfortably, fearful eyes searching in a more panicked manner than before. With a swish of his tail, he blew away the bed to see nothing but a button eye from Amicus. He felt sick, getting on all fours to locate his only friend and sniff him out. Amicus was nowhere to be found.

 

He felt his eyes turn glossy, bottom lip wobbling as he sniffled. “Amicus…” The kitten whimpered, the wet grass and growling lowly. He wanted Amicus, and he wanted him now. The boy wasn’t stupid, he knew he wasn’t actually alive, so that meant he couldn’t walk. Even with the mind of a mere five year old, he came to the conclusion that someone took him.

 

On shaky legs, he stood up and quietly made his way near the concrete. All of the teachers were there, and surely they’d help him. –At least he hoped so. In a matter of seconds, he could feel the growing amount of eyes staring at him and fear clogging his lungs. “M-Miss Kim…” He called, not daring to take a step on the concrete, that was their place. Not his.

 

“Hey. That kid is crying.” A different teacher whispered, motioning to the kitten and that grabbed Miss Kim’s attention. She rose to her feet and cautiously walked over to him, handing over a cloth to wipe his tears, which he politely accepted and explained the current situation that seemed dire.

 

“You can’t find your bunny?”

“Nuh-uh! A-And I know someone took him… I-I-I could smell it.”

 

Miss Kim nodded slowly, taking a quick look around and nearly fainting when she found children from the fourth grade holding the toy. “Jongup?” The boy sniffed, wiping his eyes as she told him who had it. “And sweetie,” She added before letting him go, “Ask nicely for your friend back. If they cause any trouble, tell me. Okay?”

 

“Uh-huh! T-Thank you!” He bowed and nearly ran to the group of boys and girls near the jungle gym. Miss Kim laughed into her palm when she saw the kitten stumble but had an angelic smile on his lips. He didn’t seem to be any dangerous hybrid, even though the woman has seen it before already.

 

Jongup slowed to a stop when a girl turned in his direction, towering over him with a sneer. He smiled nervously at her, trying to get by but to only be shoved back by a big kid with dog ears. “What do you want?” The dog hybrid asked coldly, crossing his arms to appear dangerous—which he was doing a very good job of. He swallowed down his growing fear and answered, “My bunny. Miss Kim said you have him.”

 

“Uh, no we don’t.” The older was quick to lie, smiling sheepishly when the girl giggled. Jongup pouted, “Oh… I’ll look somewhere else then…” He was horribly naïve, adorably so. The duo snickered behind his slouched back as the boy turned back to walk to Miss Kim again.

 

They’re lying to you, I know they are. Reliquiae growled from his cage, shoving Jongup back to the older kids and accidently knocking one over in the process. “Ow! The heck is your problem?!” A younger girl shouted with watery eyes, cupping her elbow that had skin curling from the fall. “I-I’m sorry—“

 

“What the hell is goin’ on?” He suddenly felt very small, very vulnerable as a more dominating boy stood up with something in his hand. “He pushed your sister.”

 

“No! It was an accident!”

 

They didn’t believe him. Especially with the girl sobbing loudly but somehow not dragging attention from outsiders. “You hurt my little sister?” He snarled, grabbing Jongup’s shirt collar and easily lifting him off the ground. He shook his head, mentally sobbing at Reliquiae for putting him in this position. “Yeah you did! She said you did!” Jongup still shook his head, begging for the other to let go.

 

Which he did.

 

He threw the kitten into the mud, laughing loudly and hugging his sniffling sister, “Don’t mess with her again—or you’ll end up like-this!” The leader tossed a rag, with a familiar smell. Jongup saw the stuffing flying, his bow tie ripped up and limbs torn off. The last thing to be thrown was the head with only one button for an eye.

 

Amicus landed in a puddle of muddy water, his thin body soaked completely and turning a murky black. Forgetting that he was covered in dirt, Jongup crawled to his rabbit’s side, picking out all the body parts and trying to force them back together.

 

"Please..."

 

The head wouldn’t attach.

 

"Please..." 

 

Neither would the legs.

 

“Amicus…”

 

The stuffed animal slipped from his fingers, falling back into the water with a loud splash! that roared in his ears.

 

My doll.

My friend…

Why isn’t he fixing?

Why isn’t he getting better?!

 

His only friend was torn to shreds by some stupid kids who didn’t like him.

 

Jongup… His demon tried to calm him, but it fell on deaf ears. All the child could hear was the screeching of nothing and his own wailing as tears disappeared in the puddle.

 

What did I do?

What did I ever do?

I don’t even know them!

Amicus, why aren’t you waking up?!

 

He didn’t know he was growling. He didn’t know that his hands were shaking. Or that he was changing in the middle of the school yard, in front of every single person that he had already given nightmares by his own birth.

 

Miss Kim hadn’t noticed until something cold blanketed itself around her and the students. She knew this feeling and damn, she knew it was the older children’s fault. The elderly woman was quick to her feet, yelling for every child to get inside as the aura grew more sinister, more evil by the second. Her eyes locked onto Jongup, sensing his growing anger and seeing his human features turn more to the beast he truly was inside.

 

His spinal cord grew out of his own body, placing itself on top of his back and bleeding out a metallic liquid that acted like another coating for the bones. It covered the marrow and hardened to seem like he had jagged spikes along his lower back. He turned to her for a moment and she swore her own hybrid cowered in fear.

 

The adorable chocolate eyes were now narrowed, dilated red irises that were no longer innocent. The cute little smile was now a snarl, long fangs that continued to bleed as they grew, flowing with body-made poisons that singed the grass by a single touch. Tiny hands? Now claws that burned the ground where he stood.

 

At least, at the very least, his tail hadn’t changed. If that were to have changed, she’d would need to call his parents the instant it began.

 

He turned to the small huddle of children and slowly made his way over. They all screamed, crying and begging for help though Miss Kim could do nothing but watch until the ambulance would shoot him with a tranquilizer. That alone would take ten minutes at the very least.

 

“Move.” Jongup commanded, growling at the boy who destroyed his toy. He was a blubbering mess, on his knees praying for forgiveness that the child ignored. A hand curled around a tiny neck, baring his poisonous teeth as they burned the poor child’s skin terribly. He howled in agony, tears springing out of innocent eyes as the kitten bit down on his thin arm, turning the limb an ugly shade of purple.

 

Miss Kim could only watch in horror as the disgusting purple slid up his entire arm and making it useless. Jongup crushed the limb, blood gushing out of piercing wounds left by the demon and those screams of fear turned to ones of horror. Blood drenched the little clique when the once innocent child tore off the arm and moved on top of the screeching boy to drop the dead limb beside his head.

 

What could only feed their nightmares more was that the kitten his lips with a bright smile, then punching the other in the face. The kids didn’t know what to do, and were too afraid to try anything for that matter. His onslaught continued, blindly hitting the other with all his demonic strength and easily deforming the face to one that was unrecognizable.

 

Death.

Hurt.

Pain.

 

Jongup wanted to return what he felt right back to the bully.

 

He was only focused on the rage he felt that Jongup didn’t notice the boy. The little demon didn’t know he had already died. But the fury wouldn’t subside. Only until someone grabbed him by the throat and pinned him to the ground was when he knew that he went too far. Again.

 

But he still didn’t have control.

 

That day, Jongup killed a child and poisoned two H-Control workers that had to amputate their arms. Thus, early retirement just to knock him out with S Class demon tranquilizers. It took ten to make him a little sleepy.

 

 

 

His parents could only cry. And cry, and cry, and cry…

 

“What did we do to get this as our child?!” Jongup’s mother yelled in the night, with said boy poking his head out from his little room. “Darling, he is a gift from Lucifer—“ She cut off his father, “Gift? GIFT?! More like the sole reason everyone is terrified of us! Don’t you see?! He’s only a burden and why we aren’t happy!”

 

“You just need to calm down…”

 

“No! I’ve had enough! I’m tired of this. It’s hard enough just knowing to be his mother!” Jongup hugged his newly stitched up Amicus tightly, stepping out of his room to see why they were fighting. “Darling…” His mother’s cackles made him shiver, “Don’t you know? They used S Class tranquilizers to put him asleep. Then to make that evil thing inside of him go away… they had to calm him down. All that happened was people getting poisoned and nearly dying! We aren’t even B Class! How did he even have a chance of appearing?!”

 

“I’m sorry.” They shut up and turned to see Jongup crying, rambling how sorry he was and how he didn’t mean it. His mother scoffed, strutting past him and left his father to comfort his worries.

 

Next day, they were both gone.

 

His emotions had gotten the best of him. And it caused the house to be ignited and burnt to ashes with him still inside. People cheered, all too overjoyed with the thought that the monster had killed himself out of grief. Boy, they were wrong.

 

Jongup appeared out of smog, holding his doll and crying on the debris that was once called home. Behind him was a towering figure of something that was a fairytale to villagers. Non-existent to hybrids. Its blood red eyes stared at every single person before letting out a roar that shook the earth.

 

…He wants to know why everyone is afraid.

…He hasn’t done anything wrong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“A winged beast who knew nothing was feared by all . . .”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  •  

Hi. So, have you figured out the order? I’m pretty sure you have by now. Comments are welcome. And I’ll gladly answer questions. Have a good day.