-3-

Echoes of the Past ✔

 

 

 

A red and orange flame surrounded the area. A girl was at the center, trying to find a way to get out.

“Myungsoo!” she shouted. “Help me!”

The guy wanted to help but his feet were glued. He tried to move but couldn’t. He tried to shout back but it seemed like his voice had disappeared.

He was petrified as he watched her body slowly being by the fire.

“Myungsoo!”

 

His body shot up from the bed, panting. He tried to calm down his breathing and took a lungful of air.

Not another nightmare.

Ever since that day, Myungsoo had been constantly getting nightmares and the scene would be different every night but it will always, always consist of Naeun screaming, shouting, pleading for his help. 

It had been 6 years, for God sake. He was tired with all of this. When will it ever stop?

Wiping his face with his hand, he glanced at the clock besides his bed. 6.30 a.m.

Naeun, her name echoed in his mind. She had come back – come back into his life. Since that day, Myungsoo had moved from the city life of Seoul to one of the small island here in South Korea. He had thought to start a new life and leaved all the dark things behind. That was why, without informing anyone, he ran away here.

For 6 years, he had done perfectly fine until last week, when Naeun reappeared in his life.

With a long sigh, Myungsoo pushed the cover from his body and shuffled to the bathroom.

 

 The wooden floor of the jetty creaks beneath his feet as he was walking towards Uncle Uhm. Uncle Uhm was the owner of the house that Myungsoo currently lived. Since the day he came to this small island, Uncle Uhm had been kindly enough to provide him a shelter and a job. His job wasn’t easy as it was to repair and built boats but Uncle Uhm and his other workers had been patient enough to teach him and after all those years of training, he had came close to become an expert.

“Morning Uncle Uhm,” Myungsoo greeted.

“Oh Myungsoo, morning to you too and – here,” Uncle Uhm expertly tossed a tool to Myungsoo as he expertly caught it. Without wasting anytime, Myungsoo went to help.

Once the sun was directly above their head, the working men stopped.

Beads of sweat were all over Myungsoo’s face as he wiped it with a hand towel that had drapped around his neck.  A tap on his shoulder, making him turn around.

“Ready to go for lunch?” Sunggyu, one of the workers here asked.

With a slight nod, he said “Sure,” as he put the tool on the floor.

Just when he was about to leave, sound of something collapsing could be heard. Stopping on his track, he saw some bars of metal had fallen down. Luckily, no one was injured and everyone heaved a sigh of relief.

 

Except for Myungsoo.

Directly above Uncle Uhm’s head, a metal bar was hanging dangerously on the railing of the boat. Any seconds and it will fall on his head. Without wasting anytime, Myungsoo dashed towards Uncle Uhm, grabbed his arm and protect him with his body.

For a moment, the whole jetty was in silence as the bar fell. Uncle Uhm was trying to open his eyes as he had closed it for the impact to happen but was shocked to see Myungsoo was lying unconsciously on top of him.

Panicked washed his face as he shook his body.

“Myungsoo, oi, wake up, Myungsoo!” he shouted.

“Quickly, bring him to the clinic!” 

 

 

 

___________________________________