-13-

Echoes of the Past ✔

 

 

“Dad, what’s going on?” the girl asked as she held the seatbelt tight. Her father had been driving over the speed limit in the middle of the night and she was horrid.

“We’re having a drive around town,” her father replied, his eyes kept going back and fro to the rearview mirror and the road.  

She knew her father was lying – heck, it could be seen obviously from the side mirror that a car was trailing behind them and they were trying to run away from it.

“Dad, why the car is following us?” the daughter asked.

“Cause they want to play with us,” he replied absent-mindedly.

The car was going really fast and he didn’t even slow down during a sharp turn.

“Naeun, you still wearing the bracelet that I gave to you, right?” he said hastily, knew that they didn’t have much time as the car was growing nearer.

The daughter nodded. “Yeah,”

“Keep it with you always and never take it off, okay?” he said as he gave a quick glance to his daughter. He was panicking and terrified.

Just before she could further question her father, the car from behind them had come to the side and pushed theirs. The father was trying hard to keep the car stable and Naeun was terrified.

The car kept pushing theirs and the father didn’t notice the sharp turn ahead of them. Once when he finally noticed it, it was already too late as their car went straight into the divider, wheeling down the hill and finally stopped when the car hit a tree.

Smokes were wafting from the front of the car. Her head was hurt badly and she felt some cold liquid on her head.  

“Naeun!” she heard her name being called. Gathering all the energy she had, she opened her eyes slightly to see who.  

“M-Myungsoo…” was the last word she said and a pair of coffee eyes was the last thing she saw before she was completely black out.

 

 

Both of them were silence as Naeun had just finished telling Myungsoo about that day – the night of the accident – the day they had become further apart.

This was the moment that he was fear to come. She had already remembered about the accident. It’s only a matter of time that she would know the truth behind it.

They were sitting on the bed, facing each other. Naeun had been playing with her fingers the whole time she was telling him about it. Never once Myungsoo looked at her when she told him about that day. He can’t help it but felt guilty.  

Naeun had been biting her lower lips, contemplating whether she should ask him or not. But she needed answers and she was done living like an idiot.

“W-Why were you there, Myungsoo?” she mumbled as she glanced at him. His eyes were still glued on the mattress. A beat of silence came and Naeun continued.

“Why didn’t you say to me that we know each other during our first met here?” still, no answer.

“Is it true that we were dating? That we…once loved each other?” carefully, she asked him.

Five minutes passed and he still didn’t utter any word. Naeun was frustrated, annoyed. She needed answers and silence wasn’t one of them.

“Look, if you –”

“I still do,”

She was startled when he finally spoke but she can’t help it but felt confused by his answer. He finally tore his eyes away from the mattress and looked at her.

“I still do. I loved you before and I still love you now. I never stop loving you, Naeun,”  

She felt like her breath was stuck in . His gazed was sincere and she could feel his true emotions.

He still does love her.

“You don’t remember me so; I don’t see the point on telling you that you know me,”

Her eyes began to water. She didn’t know why but it was pain to not remember him – to not remember the memories they had once shared. Without thinking twice, she cupped his face, leaning forward until their forehead touched.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I didn’t remember about you,” she whispered.

He was shocked by her action but said nothing. Putting his hands on top of hers, he shook his head. “It’s not your fault. I’m the one who should be saying sorry,”

Naeun was confused as her brows furrowed. Slowly, Myungsoo pulled her hands down from his face onto the mattress, still holding her hands.

“You asked why I was there, right?” carefully, he asked. Naeun nodded.

“I was there because…”

For a moment, he was at loss of word.

Myungsoo shut his eyes for a second, contemplating whether to tell her or not

She should know, right?

But he was afraid that it will worry her – that she would feel scare once she knew the truth.

“Because?” Naeun urged him to continue.

“Because I…I happened to be there. I was going for a drive around and then, I saw the accident so…yeah,” he stuttered.

“Then, why are you saying sorry?” she asked. He was silent for a second.

“Because I can’t save your father,” he replied.

It was the truth. He can’t save her father.

Naeun shook her head. “No, it’s not your fault, Myungsoo. It had meant to be that way – fate had been planning it that way and we had no other choice but to follow it.”

Silence came between them. Their eyes were gazing into one another. Naeun was mesmerized by his pair of coffee eyes. Her heart was beating rapidly in her chest. She didn’t know why but she knew that with him, she would be safe. Her brain may don’t remember much about him but her body seemed to remember him very well.

“You want to go back to sleep?” he gently asked and Naeun nodded along with a tired smile.

Laying her on the bed, he pulled the cover over her body. She murmured thanks to him and he smiled.

Slowly, her eyes fluttered closed and her breathing was in a calm pace.

Seeing her already deep in her sleep, he watched her serene face.

I’m sorry, Naeun. It’s not the time yet.

One day, you will know. One day, Naeun but not now.

I’m sorry, Naeun. I’m doing this to protect you.  

 

 

_______________________